forgot how to conlang; pls help

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

forgot how to conlang; pls help

Post by Pole, the »

Hi again!

So, inspired by this post, I started wondering how it would be to have a natural-ish language that would be parseable by an LL(1) parser.

An LL(1) parser is, essentially, a parser that looks only one token ahead and uses the leftmost production rule. To put it in much simpler terms, if a language is LL(1), you can always predict a word's role in the sentence without looking further ahead and without backtracking.

English (and most natural languages, I suppose) is not LL(1). Imagine an English sentence that begins like that:

Code: Select all

This apple …
At this point it is impossible to tell what is the role of “apple” in that sentence. It can be either the head of the noun phrase “this apple” (alternatively, the dependent of the determiner phrase “this apple”):

This apple | tastes good.
It can be, however, the dependent of another noun phrase, say “apple juice”, just as well:

This apple | juice is sweet.
The first observation is that such a language would have to be largely head-first and prefixing, since the first word of a phrase must determine what kind of a phrase it is.

Another thing is that while we can't write a grammar that would look like that:

Sentence = SVO | SOV
SVO = Subject Verb Object
SOV = Subject Object Verb
Subject = Noun
Object = Noun
We can write another one that, in fact, defines the same language:

Sentence = Subject VerbPhrase
VerbPhrase = VO | OV
VO = Verb Object
OV = Object Verb
Subject = Noun
Object = Noun
(Read the vertical line above as "or".)

So, we want to create a conlang that is parseable by a certain class of algorithms. It would help if we had an automated tool that could determine if our conlang fulfills that.

Luckily enough, I've already written such a thing. It is a set of scripts that, given a lexicon and a syntax description, build a fully functional parser for an LL(1) conlang, able to transform a conlang text into a syntax tree. If a grammar isn't LL(1), the build process will fail.

And here I stopped. Turns out, while I'm able to write a framework for creating a conlang, I have problems creating the conlang itself. I haven't been regularly conlanging for quite a long time, and now it's quite difficult for me to find inspiration for the language. The fact that I'm more used to creating languages bottom-up, first playing with a phonology and building on top of that, and here I have to start with syntax and move from the top down, might be playing a role as well.

So, well, this was supposed to be an introduction of a conlang. But since there's no conlang (yet?), it will just be an introduction.

Enjoy.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Re: forgot how to conlang; pls help

Post by Torco »

is it totally necessary that you reverse the whole order, or can't you just shuffle the steps? i mean, sure, you have to figure out the syntax, but after that you can go back to the traditional phono-root structure/phonotactics-morphology-making lexicon familiar structure. And for such a language, it's not obvious you need any morphology at all. it's a good instance to play with a mostly-syntax language.