Kadimanrio

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Daistallia
Lebom
Lebom

Kadimanrio

Post by Daistallia »

Giving Kadimanrio a brush up and putting it online.

Grammar is a mix of a priori and a posteriori. Vocab is primarily a priori and loosely based mainly on German, French, and Spanish. This originally started as an imagined creole of the above three developed in a 18/19th C. Louisiana with a much larger German population. The name was a mash up of Acadian, Alemannic German, and Creole.

Someone with a long memory may remember some of the really early stuff. :)

I think (hope?) it's improved a lot since then. I do know that it's really not all that good at what it was originally intended to do, but it's moved on. It doesn't use period appropriate vocab run through regular sound changes, but rather vocab picked rather randomly (mostly from German, French, and Spanish, but from others as well) changed more or less at random according to my own fancy, with a dose of a posteriori words.

I'd be happy to answer any questions - with the caveat that said answer may very well be "I don't know", "I don't remember where that camefrom or why I did it", or "I haven't figured it out or decided yet". :D

Grammar:
https://daistallia.neocities.org/kadima ... ammar.html

Vocab:
https://daistallia.neocities.org/kadima ... vocab.html
Phonology

Consonants

/m n ŋ ŋ/ < m n nj ng>
/p t k/ < p t k>
/b d g/ < b d g>
/ts) dz) tʃ) dʒ)/ <t s dz ch dj>
/f s ʃ x h/ < f s sh x h>
/v z/ < v z>
/ɹ j l/ <r j l>
/w/ < w>

Vowels
/i e a u o/ <i e a u o>

Dipthongs
/ei eu ai oi au ou/ <ei eu ai oi au ou>

Stress and Intonation

Stress consists of dynamic accent/loudness. Monosyllables are generally unstressed. In multi-syllablic words, grammatical stress is always on the final syllable. Vowels always keep their full quality, regardless of in whether a syllable is stressed or unstressed. General, the only last word in a phrase or sentence retains its full grammatical stress,while the other words in the phrase or sentence have a lesser degree of stress.

Emphatic stress, used to express contrast, reinforce emotion, or otherwise call attention to a specific word or element in a given context, falls on the first consonant-initial syllable.

Intonation (variation in pitch) is generally found over the final two syllables of a sentence. Declarative and imperative sentences generally have a flat intonation. Open/information questions have a falling intonation. And closed/yes-no questions have a rising intonation.
https://daistallia.neocities.org/kadiman/phonology.html

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Kadimanrio

Post by WeepingElf »

Daistallia wrote:Vocab is primarily a priori and loosely based mainly on German, French, and Spanish.
Either one or the other: if your vocabulary is based mainly on whatever natlangs, however loosely, it is by definition a posteriori. A priori vocabulary is freshly invented, without reference to earlier languages. (The original definition by Couturat and Leau indeed was even stricter, speaking of "first principles" as in the 17th-century "philosophical" languages, but few people use this strict definition anymore, at least not in the artlang realm.)

But then, the Latin terms "a priori" and "a posteriori" are poorly chosen and can easily be confounded, and less difficult terms such as "original" and "derived" are better.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

xxx
Lebom
Lebom

Post by xxx »

WeepingElf wrote:(The original definition by Couturat and Leau indeed was even stricter, speaking of "first principles" as in the 17th-century "philosophical" languages, but few people use this strict definition anymore.)
But then, the Latin terms "a priori" and "a posteriori" are poorly chosen and can easily be confounded, and less difficult terms such as "original" and "derived" are better.
I use “ex nihilo“ for “from scratch“ and I keep the traditional categories according to theirs meanings...
Very special construction of a priori languages deserve to keep its specific name...

Daistallia
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Daistallia »

Pretty sure both of you understood what I meant. Can we stop derailing this?

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Sure. Sorry.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Daistallia
Lebom
Lebom