List of natural language sound changes

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
nocebo
Niš
Niš

List of natural language sound changes

Post by nocebo »

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of sound changes that can be inputted into the Sound Change Applier? An example would be the default sound changes the SCA already has to transform latin words into portuguese?

example:

V=aeiou
L=āēīōū
C=ptcqbdgmnlrhs
F=ie
B=ou
S=ptc
Z=bdg

[sm]//_#
i/j/_V
L/V/_
e//Vr_#
v//V_V
u/o/_#
gn/nh/_
S/Z/V_V
c/i/F_t
c/u/B_t
p//V_t
ii/i/_
e//C_rV

I am looking for other examples such as latin to french, spanish, etc. since I am not familiar with the special rules and their codes.

Thanks in advance!

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: List of natural language sound changes

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Index Diachronica has some problems. A lot of the sources are out of date, and there are various errors in transcription or symbol interpretation (i.e. the person who compiled it isn't familiar with the literature on certain families and misunderstands what a symbol means in the context of that literature). One example of a particularly egregious error is having lists of sound changes from "Classical Arabic to Modern Arabic Dialect X". The modern dialects of Arabic don't descend from Classical Arabic at all, so there are no 'sound changes' between them, only correspondences. But I think nocebo's question is different from this, which is the kind of sound changes that "can be inputted into" the SCA, not which sound changes are possible in a natural language according to linguistic theories. These aren't the same thing. For example, the sound change 'f/n/_' can be put in SCA2 but most people would say that is not a theoretically acceptable sound change for a natural language. The question is a technical one rather than a linguistic-theoretical one.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Yes, one way to make the Index Diachronica even better would be to put notices like that wherever appropriate, and to submit corrections to the hosts of the site. It was essentially a crowdsourcing effort, so the transcriptions dont always agree with each other. There are notices in the "Most-Wanted Sound Changes" section, which is where most of my contributions are, giving the reader additional information besides just the bare sound change.
One example of a particularly egregious error is having lists of sound changes from "Classical Arabic to Modern Arabic Dialect X". The modern dialects of Arabic don't descend from Classical Arabic at all, so there are no 'sound changes' between them, only correspondences.
For the purposes of using the SCA software, though, as long as the relationships between the sounds match up, this should not be a problem, right? Again perhaps a notice at the top would be helpful to remind the readers that the sound change list is simplified for the purposes of pairing the modern language with the most well-known classical language rather than the lesser-known shared parent language of the two.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Soap wrote:For the purposes of using the SCA software, though, as long as the relationships between the sounds match up, this should not be a problem, right? Again perhaps a notice at the top would be helpful to remind the readers that the sound change list is simplified for the purposes of pairing the modern language with the most well-known classical language rather than the lesser-known shared parent language of the two.
No, it is a pretty serious problem, because the stated purpose of the SCA is: "to provide a tool in PDF form for conlangers interested in diachronic conlanging and linguistic change to be able to get a feel for what sorts of changes might plausibly occur." Incorrect data does not reliably give people a "feel" for what sorts of changes might plausibly occur, because there's no guarantee that it coheres with the actual data on the tendencies of sound change.