[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Rangyayo - an East Asian language of the elixir of life

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:02 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Rangyayo - spoken on the islands of the elixir of life

on Youtube
on Youtube
on Conlangery Podcast

on Conlang Wiki
on Conlang Wiki
on Conlang Wiki
on Constructed World Wiki

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Background

Rangyayo (or Anglicised name Rangyan) is the language spoken on Rangya Islands (no bigger than Luxembourg or roughly twice as big as Hong Kong) near Okinawa prefecture of Japan in East China Sea.
In Sinitic mythology, Rangya Islands hold the secrets of elixir of life. There are magical fruits growing on the islands that can heal any disease, grant eternal youth, and even raise the dead.
Historically, various emperors in ancient China sent their alchemists to the eastern seas to find the fabled elixir, but to no avail. Historical text stated that Rangya was found instead.

Overview

Rangyayo is an agglutinative, nominative-accusative and head-final language. It has no grammatical genders. Nouns are declined according to case but not number, gender or definitiveness. Verbs can be conjugated according to voice, tense and aspect.

Phonology

Consonants

1. /ŋ/ appears only in the syllable coda.
2. /s, z/ are palatalised [ɕ, ʑ] before /i, j/
3. /h/ is palatalised [ç] before /i, j/; and is bi­la­bialised [ɸ] before /u, w/
4. /ts, dz, tsʰ/ are palatalised [tɕ, dʑ, tɕʰ] before /i, j/
5. /ɾ/ is an alveolar flap [ɾ] in the syllable onset; and is [l] in the syllable coda.

Vowels

Monophthongs

1. /i/ is pronounced /ɪ/ before velar codas /ŋ, k̚/
2. /u/ is /ʊ/ before velar codas /ŋ, k̚/

Diphthongs

1. /ju/ is pronounced /jʊ/ before velar codas /ŋ, k̚/
2. /uɪ/ is a falling diphthong [uɪ] after a consonant in an open syllable; and is a rising diphthong [wi] when it is a syllable of its own or in a closed syllable.

Triphthongs

I will share more about Rangyayo here when I have more spare time as lately I have been busy editing the at conlang.wikia.com

If anyone here is interested in East Asian conlang or linguistics, you are welcomed to join my , or you can PM me your MSN contact so I can add you to the group.

Last edited by desmond on Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:00 am 
Lebom
Lebom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:24 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:55 am 
Lebom
Lebom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:53 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:10 am 
Lebom
Lebom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:20 am 
Sanno
Sanno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:59 am 
Lebom
Lebom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:05 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Continue with the phonology of Rangyayo...

Positional allophones

Rangyan consonants have two principal positional allophones: initial and final. The initial form is found at the beginning of a syllable and the final form is found at the end of a syllable.

All plosives [p, t, k] are unreleased [p̚, t̚, k̚] at the end of a syllable. Final [ɾ] is a liquid [l].

Phonotactics

Rangyan syllable structure is maximally CgVC, where the first C is the initial consonant; g is a semivowel glide /j/ or /w/; V is a vowel; the second C is a coda. Any consonant but /ŋ/ may occur initially, whereas only /m, n, ŋ, p, t, k, l/ may occur finally.

Below is the table of all syllable finals (gVC) in Rangyan.

1. pronounced [wi] when it is a syllable of its own or before codas /n, t̚, l/; and pronounced [wɪ] before codas /ŋ, k̚/
2. pronounced [uɪ] after an onset in an open syllable.

Additional finals /wam/, /wɛm/, /wim/, /wap/, /wɛp/, /wip/ can be found in foreign loanwords.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:23 am 
Lebom
Lebom

Vowel harmony

Traditionally, the Rangyan language has had strong vowel harmony; that is, in pre-modern Rangyan, not only did the inflectional and derivational affixes change in accordance to the main root vowel, but native words also adhered to vowel harmony. However, this rule is no longer observed strictly in modern Rangyan. In modern Rangyan, it is only applied in certain cases such as onomatopoeia and interjections.

There are three classes of vowels in Rangyan: positive, negative and neutral. The vowel classes loosely follow the vowel heights. Exchanging positive vowels with negative vowels usually creates different nuances of meaning, with positive vowels sounding fast, hot, dry, hard, solid, focused or aggressive, and negative vowels sounding slow, cold, wet, soft, insubstantial, diffuse or tranquil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:12 am 
Lebom
Lebom

Regarding on omniglot forum, I will post some sample texts for Serali here.

The three samples below are taken from my at conlang.wikia.com, so nothing too fancy here:

fupi-no ko'i karü
bear-TOPIC big COPULA
"The bear is big."

ne iku-no i hapi-ei ko'i karü
that dog-TOPIC this bird-COMPARATIVE big COPULA
"That dog is bigger than this bird."

ne iku-no itban ko'i karü
that dog-TOPIC most big COPULA
"That dog is the biggest."

Last edited by desmond on Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:32 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

That is cool!

I think you're the first AFAIK to use Korean Hangul and Hanja like this in a conlang.

Awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:27 am 
Lebom
Lebom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:24 am 
Lebom
Lebom

I like Yondae'eo alot. It also at one point had a script reminiscent of Korean Hangul with some of the letters of imbecilica's own invention.

I didn't know it was changed. Korean is my favorite language and I'm always messing around with the writing system it seems. I had made several "ciphers" for English using Hangul ( with additions of course ).

One of which I'm trying find again since I can't remember which of my conlanging books I put it in. *Is frustrated*

I also did something with Japanese Hiragana too. It's on my blog somewhere. When I find it I'll post it.

The Korean language was originally written with Hanja. So you're not too wrong on that part. There's also a sample on Omniglot that uses Hanja and Hangul along with the "normal" text. IMO English should have Hangul too as it's simpler IMO. XD

Plus it's waaaay prettier. Idk WTH they were thinking when they decided to write English with the Latin Alphabet when there are so many simpler less complicated and more prettier ways of doing so.

Hangul all the way! YAY! :mrgreen: And your welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:13 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

The language name "Rangyayo" in Chinese seal script.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:26 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

PRETTY SCRIPTY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:17 am 
Lebom
Lebom

Pitch accent

Rangyan pitch accent can be presented with a two-pitch-level model. In this representation, each syllable is either high (H) or low (L) in pitch.

1. If the accent is on the first syllable, then the first syllable is high-pitched and the others are low: HLL...
2. If the accent is on a syllable other than the first, then the first syllable is low, the following syllables up to and including the accented one are high, and the rest are low: LHLL..., LHHLL..., LHHHLL...
3. If the word does not have an accent, the first syllable is low and the others are high: LHH... This high pitch spreads to unaccented grammatical particles that attach to the end of the word, whereas these would have a low pitch when attached to an accented word.

Examples are given in the table below. The number before each pitch pattern tells you the syllable where the last high pitch is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:52 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

줌줌 다리! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:46 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

This is a really cool project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:26 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:06 am 
Lebom
Lebom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:22 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:40 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

Verbs are the most complex lexical category in Rangyan. Their structure when used as the predicate of a clause is prefix + verb stem + up to four infixes + suffix, and can be illustrated with this table.

This is a conjugation table for the verb yabü (食쁘; /ja.bɨ/) "eat". Honorific and modality are not included to keep the table shorter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:18 am 
Lebom
Lebom

In what sense are the mood, voice, aspect and polarity affixes infixes? They appear to be suffixes to me. A suffix follows the stem (regardless of whether or not it precedes other affixes) - an infix appears inside the stem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:23 am 
Lebom
Lebom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next