Questions about bogolanging

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
ÜberBen
Sanci
Sanci

Questions about bogolanging

Post by ÜberBen »

Having read about Brithenig and Wenedyk, I have become fascinated about bogolanging- the conlanger's version of alternative history: "What if this language belonged to that family instead of this one?"
AFAIK, to bogolang one needs a "Grand Master Plan", which consists of two main stages:
1. Transforming the structure-supplying language into the phonology of the stratum language's proto-language
2. Using sound changes to derive the modified stratum
i.e. In Wenedyk's case, this meant transforming Latin into Proto-slavic phonology, and then applying to it the sound changes that made Polish in our universe, creating a romance language (the structure) on a Polish stratum. Brithenig did the same with a Welsh stratum.
I'm pondering about a similar project to make English a romance language, but I don't exactly know how.
Can you help me out on that?

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Questions about bogolanging

Post by hwhatting »

ÜberBen wrote:I'm pondering about a similar project to make English a romance language, but I don't exactly know how.
You want to make a Romance language that underwent English sound changes or do you want an Old English that underwent Romance sound changes? If the latter, the changes of which Romance language (E.g. French, Spanish, Romanian...)

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

There are many different ways to make alternate history languages, some completely "bogo" and some not. There's a user named alice who made a nice introduction to bogolanging in his website (no longer available, but here's an archive). Here is an example of a very non-bogo, carefully though altlang.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

mèþru wrote:There's a user named alice who made a nice introduction to bogolanging in his website (no longer available, but here's an archive).
Yes, but is it Art?
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

xxx
Lebom
Lebom

Post by xxx »

alice wrote:Yes, but is it Art?
It depends on the market to which they are dedicated...

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

alice wrote:
mèþru wrote:There's a user named alice who made a nice introduction to bogolanging in his website (no longer available, but here's an archive).
Yes, but is it Art?
Bogo is a art.

Also, this post is a meme.

Also also, this post is a self-referential meme.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Pole, the wrote:
alice wrote:
Yes, but is it Art?
Bogo is a art.
So are hypercorrections and generalisations of allomorphs
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

GreenBowTie
Lebom
Lebom

Post by GreenBowTie »

ÜberBen wrote:Having read about Brithenig and Wenedyk, I have become fascinated about bogolanging- the conlanger's version of alternative history: "What if this language belonged to that family instead of this one?"
AFAIK, to bogolang one needs a "Grand Master Plan", which consists of two main stages:
1. Transforming the structure-supplying language into the phonology of the stratum language's proto-language
2. Using sound changes to derive the modified stratum
i.e. In Wenedyk's case, this meant transforming Latin into Proto-slavic phonology, and then applying to it the sound changes that made Polish in our universe, creating a romance language (the structure) on a Polish stratum. Brithenig did the same with a Welsh stratum.
I'm pondering about a similar project to make English a romance language, but I don't exactly know how.
Can you help me out on that?
for years i've been working, off and on, with one based on this idea. my first attempts were stymied by the fact that english has so much vocabulary borrowed from romance stock that i didn't really know how to resolve it. what i settled on was: switch latin and proto-germanic at birth. of course this necessitates a lot more than just making the new-english, which is why i haven't made much progress on it, but it's the only way i can see of doing it

i did kiiiind of cheat by using classical latin as the starting point rather than vulgar latin, because even though this is historically wrong it's also MUCH easier to match proto-germanic's vowel system to classical than to vulgar. plus it means i get to make a "vulgar germanic", from which i can derive germano-french, germano-spanish, germano-romanian...