Vulgarlang.com

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Vardelm
Avisaru
Avisaru

Vulgarlang.com

Post by Vardelm »

Has anyone seen Vulgarlang.com yet? I don't think it has enough features to be useful to most ZBB posters, but it's a rather impressive work. For example, the "Generate new language" button gives a bunch of verb conjungations, etc., but I don't see that you can customize that anywhere (unless it's in the paid version). Still, if the person developing it keeps going, I could see it eventually being a useful tool to maybe get a rough draft of a conlang fairly quickly, and then tweak from there.

If nothing else, it's kinda fun to play with!
Tibetan Dwarvish - My own ergative "dwarf-lang"

Quasi-Khuzdul - An expansion of J.R.R. Tolkien's Dwarvish language from The Lord of the Rings

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Vulgarlang.com

Post by mèþru »

It's nice. I won't use it because I prefer starting from scratch, but I think the Gleblang crowd might find it useful.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I mean the free online version. Buying it seems like a waste of money to me; anyone serious enough about conlanging that they would want it would probably be better off doing the rest by themselves :-D!
The tumblr theme also looks nice.

EDIT: You can customize by clicking the sliding things. There's a "more options" button too.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

xxx
Lebom
Lebom

Post by xxx »

It is the end of the path begun with the linguistic construction kits and the use of linguistics for the purpose of conlanging ...
That in which language is no more than a mechanical combinatorial of linguistic concepts in which man has no place ...
Like linguistics, which only considers in a scientific way the macro functioning of a fictitious organism that is the language where there is only micro-inventiveness of each of its speakers that are only literature...
A bit like browsing the library of Babel rather than the world literature ...

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Yes ... the art of conlanging ... is ... dead?
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

[sarcasm]
RIP
Conlanging ?-2017

[/sarcasm]
kårroť

xxx
Lebom
Lebom

Post by xxx »

alice wrote:Yes ... the art of conlanging ... is ... dead?
only for those who trade art for technique of engineers...
[sarcasm] RIP Conlanging ?-2017...............[/sarcasm]
only for those who devalue their humanity for normalized artefacts...

Vardelm
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vardelm »

xxx wrote:only for those who trade art for technique of engineers...

only for those who devalue their humanity for normalized artefacts...
I could take your melodramatic snobbery a bit more seriously if I saw more examples of your conlangs and less elipses...
Tibetan Dwarvish - My own ergative "dwarf-lang"

Quasi-Khuzdul - An expansion of J.R.R. Tolkien's Dwarvish language from The Lord of the Rings

xxx
Lebom
Lebom

Post by xxx »

I have none made by engineer machinery for example... nor "in the manner of"...

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

It's fairly impressive, but it has more than its fair share of bizarre stuff that you can't imagine a competent human conlanger engaging in more than very occasionally, and there's a lot of stuff it doesn't do (at least not in the free version). I don't think it's going to be replacing human conlangers quite yet!

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

It might replace hiring a conlanger for creators, but I don't think it will replace conlangers entirely.
kårroť

xxx
Lebom
Lebom

Post by xxx »

Automation and information technology are of interest only in the business world, to reduce costs, especially of employment of human beings...
But gibberish replaces even better hiring conlangers...

cromulant
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cromulant »

Curlyjimsam wrote:it has more than its fair share of bizarre stuff that you can't imagine a competent human conlanger engaging in more than very occasionally
Like what? I've seen it generate some weird phonologies, specifically regarding vowels. At the same time it tends toward pretty SAE consonant inventories. There's almost always a fairly large fricative set with a voicing contrast. Grammatically...it's all pretty vanilla. Clearly it's just playing mix-and-match with a small handful of grammatical categories; there is no creativity, no interesting ideas or (despite the author's claim), "quirks."

Maybe in 5 years time this thing will spit out really interesting, quirky, lived-in languages with personality and flavor. Even then I don't see it "replacing conlangers" as it cannot possibly satisfy the egotistic urge to create your "own" conlang.

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

I see Vulgarlang as more of interest as a starting point--something to spark an idea, or offer an interesting springboard into something more, not an end in and of itself.
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.