Gartul, p.1- Tell Me If This Is Terrible

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Universeal12
Niš
Niš

Gartul, p.1- Tell Me If This Is Terrible

Post by Universeal12 »

Hey y’all!

So, I’m making a conlang. Hurrah! It’s my first one, and I wanted to tell y’all what I have so far, so tell me if this is terrible.

It’s entitled Gartul.

Enjoy!

—————

TENSES

Past, present, future, and uncertain tenses all have suffixes.

PAST TENSE- add ‘un’ to the end. E.g- ‘morosun’= has/have played.
PRESENT TENSE- add ‘el’ to the end. E.g.- ‘mosorel’= plays/is playing.
FUTURE TENSE- add ‘iss’ to the end. E.g.- ‘mosoriss’= will play.
UNCERTAIN TENSE= add ‘ar’ to the end. E.G.- ‘mosorar’= might/would/could play.

Note- the presence of the uncertain tense makes it so that would, could, and might don’t exist in Gartul, because adding ‘ar’ to the end makes those words.

Gender has prefixes.

MALE GENDER PREFIX- ‘ bete komosorun’= he played. Bete means ‘he’, and since that word is there, you add ‘ko’ to the beginning of the word, ‘mosorun’, which means have played.
FEMALE GENDER PREFIX- ‘nete omosorun’= she played. Nete means she, and since nete is there, add ‘o’ (making the sound of the English word ‘oh’) to the beginning of the word.
INANIMATE GENDER PREFIX- ‘frete pamosorun’= it played. Frete means it, and since frete is there, add pa, like Pa as in father, to the beginning of the word.

SYNTAX- VSO.

Example sentence-

‘Mosoriss Joseph vu strovonn.’ That means, ‘Joseph will play the guitar’.

Other important syntax notes- pronouns always go before verbs.

CASES

Gartul has a couple cases for you. To denote case, you add a couple suffixes-

Example word- trisha (book)

Nominative- add no suffix.
Accusative- -ur. (Trishur)
Genitive- -ich. (Trisich)
Essive- -sta. (Trissta)
Inessive- -ats. (Trisats)
Adessive- -oll. (Trisholl.)
Instructive- -min. (Trishmin.)
Abessive- -kap. (Trishkap)

NEGATION

To denote negation, add ‘reot’ as a word after the word.

E.G.- I don’t remember that day.

‘Umalannel reot ka jete asey.’
Remember (with present suffix) NEGATION I that day

ARTICLES

There are two articles in Gartul: one for ‘a’ (‘cha’) which is used when referring to an object, but you don’t exactly know which object, and one for ‘the’ (‘vu’) which is used when referring to an object and you know exactly which one.

E.g.- ‘Cha sovash’= a(n) animal
‘Vu sovash’= the animal

NUMBERS

1- surn
2- mio
3- insh
4- kroo
5- zipf
6- pil
7- bay
8- ub
9- noin
10- ecks

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Gartul, p.1- Tell Me If This Is Terrible

Post by Frislander »

Nah, it's not terrible at all! If anything compared to other first conlangs I've seen it quite stands out from the crowd! I particularly like the gender prefixes, especially since you've made them quite short, which given the clear centrality of them is only natural.

One small thing; the "uncertain" tense seems to wrap up several distinct meanings into a single form, which I myself would probably label "irrealis/potential".

I really would like to see a phonology though, particularly so we know specifically how to prnounce the numbers (though they clearly appear to be based on English orthography, the exact pronunciations will differ depending on the speaker, so it'd be better to talk about the sound system of the language to clear up those issues.)
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Universeal12 wrote:PRESENT TENSE- add ‘el’ to the end. E.g.- ‘mosorel’= plays/is playing.
This is exactly identical to the 3rd person singular present tense suffix in any variety of Romani I can think of!

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Welcome to the ZBB! Have some pickles and tea! (It's a board tradition for welcoming new members)
ImageImage

I would like to echo Frislander in asking for a phonology. And the "uncertain tense" is better described as "irrealis". "cha" and "vu" are called indefinite and definite, respectively. Also, what are the rules for gender and case marking? Do verbs have gender? Why do your example sentences lack both gender and case?
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Universeal12
Niš
Niš

Post by Universeal12 »

mèþru wrote:Welcome to the ZBB! Have some pickles and tea! (It's a board tradition for welcoming new members)
ImageImage

I would like to echo Frislander in asking for a phonology. And the "uncertain tense" is better described as "irrealis". "cha" and "vu" are called indefinite and definite, respectively. Also, what are the rules for gender and case marking? Do verbs have gender? Why do your example sentences lack both gender and case?
1.) A phonology is coming soon. It will come with the alphabet (which will be used interchangeably with normal English alphabet.)
2.) On the topic of the uncertain tense- thanks for that, I will start calling it the ‘irrealis’ tense now. That sounds much cooler than the uncertain tense, ‘uncertain tense’ just sounds like cheese without crackers. I will also make name changes to ‘cha’ and ‘vu’. Thanks.
3) I didn’t add gender to the example sentences because I wasn’t thinking. Here are the new example sentences-

‘Komosoriss Joseph vu strovonn.’ (Joseph played the guitar.)
I’ll say that the subject of ‘I don’t remember that day’ was a robot, so, ‘Paumalannel reot ka jete asey.’

4.) For gender and case markings, I may not have specified this enough. To denote which gender the subject is, add a prefix (rules for that specified). To denote case, add a prefix, and those are specified, too.
5.) Verbs have gender, yes. They also have words like ‘bete’ (he) and ‘nete’ (she) before it, so it’s basically like ‘koaichonar bete’- ‘he [male gender prefix] could believe.’

I have also noticed a fallacy in my gender prefixes section. Since the word order is VSO, words should be reversed. ‘Komosorun bete’, ‘Omosorun bete’, ‘Pamosorun frete’.

Thanks.