Biology of one of kårroť's moons

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Biology of one of kårroť's moons

Post by mèþru »

This is about life on one of kårroť's two unnamed moons. The moon's composition by mass is something like 47.5% iron, 22.5% silicate and the rest is water. Its mass is 0.02182375 M and its radius is 0.293811346 R.

All life has in common the six elements: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, chlorine and aluminium, or CHNOClAl.

Most unicellular life uses CO2 + 4H2 ⟶ CH4+ 2H2O. This is called basic methanogenesis. These life forms also use nitrate-based methane metabolism: CH4 + 4NO3 ⟶ CO2 + 4NO2 + 2H2O. All such life belongs to Methanotrophia.

A split occurred when some evolved nitrification. These are known as the Nitrovitae. The nitrification follows the formula NO2 + H2O ⟶ NO3 + H2. In the early history of life on the moon, Nitrovitae made the majority of all species. Most members form colonies of unicellular organisms or form fruiting bodies à la Myxobacteria, but a minority are unicellular in the strict sense.

Another split occurred among the non-nitrifying life. Two other forms of methanogensis were evolved, using acetic acid and ethanol: C2H4O2 ⟶ CH4 + CO2 and 2C2H6O ⟶ 3CH4 + CO2 respectively. The life forms utilising these paths are called Acetovitae and Ethanovitae respectively. Acetic-basd methanogenesis evolved again several times within the remaining and most diverse of branch life: Eumethanotrophia. Many members of Acetovitae are symbiotic with species of Nitrovitae.

Within Eumethanotrphia, some evolved 6CH4 + 5H2O ⟶ C6H12O5 (ʟ-rhamnose) + 11H2 as well as its inverse: C6H12O5 + 11H2 ⟶ + 6CH4 + 5H2O. The first equation is called methane-based rhamnosal photosynthesis; the second is called rhamnosal respiration. These organisms are called Rhamnosae. Within Rhamnosae, a split occurs between those that are able to do rhamnosal carbonation, or 7H2O + C6H12O5 ⟶ 6CO2 + 13H2, and those who can’t. All organisms belonging to the first group are called Carbonata. All true multicellular life belongs to Carbonata, but they do not form a true clade as multicellular life has evolved multiple times within Carbonata. Rhamnosal aerobic respiration, or 2C6H12O5 + 13O2 ⟶ 12CO2 + 12H2O, has separately evolved many times within Rhamnosae. All macroscopic true multicellular life has evolved it. One non-carbonatan aerobic organism was trapped by a nitrovite colony-forming species and fulfills a somewhat similar role as chloroplasts and mitochondria do for algae. The resulting species and its descendants belong to the clade Pseudorhamnosae, the most diverse group within Nitrovitae and largest by biomass. One aerobic carbonatan species evolved rhamnosal oxygenesis: 2C6H12O5 + H2O⟶ 6C2H6O + 7O2. Its descendants constitute the clade Oxogentia. The most complex, energy efficient lifeforms on the moon all belong to this clade. The largest species, weighing on average about 200 metric tonnes, is an oxogentid. But no intelligent life as we define it has evolved on the moon; all life on the moon is less intelligent than a confused chihuahua on drugs. If one looked specifically at cognition related to movement, however, one would find that many Oxogentia species have abilities far exceeding that of any extant animal on Earth.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

cromulant
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Biology of one of kårroť's moons

Post by cromulant »

Very interesting. I will take your word for it that the biochemistry works; I can't begin to evaluate that. Interested to hear a "naked eye" view of these critters.

Is this moon similar in structure to Europa?
If one looked specifically at cognition related to movement, however, one would find that many Oxogentia species have abilities far exceeding that of any extant animal on Earth.
Examples?

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Biology of one of kårroť's moons

Post by mèþru »

I actually don't know if it works myself; I'm hoping someone else here can check it.
cromulant wrote:Is this moon similar in structure to Europa?
The moon is mostly water by volume, while Europa is mainly rock by volume. Also, it's much warmer (about 19 C on the surface).
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť