British Romance Language Collab

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Re: British Romance Language Collab

Post by mèþru »

I also like combined a and c for question 28
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

gokupwned5
Sanci
Sanci

Post by gokupwned5 »

I updated the post.

gokupwned5
Sanci
Sanci

Post by gokupwned5 »

The results are in!

28) The only thing we need to complete the orthography is finding out how to write /y/. How should we write it?
The vowel /y/ will be written as <ui>, <oi>, and <ói> based on etymology but loanwords will have it as <ui>. There was a two way tie between a and c.

29) How should the infinitive endings of Classical Latin evolve?
The endings <āre>, <ēre>, <ere>, <īre> will become <ar>, <er>, <er>, <ir> respectively. There was a five way tie between a, b, c, d, and f.

30) It is AD 619 and Penda is 13 years old. A member of the Anglo-Saxon noble family that is raising him, Eanfriþ, tries to proclaim himself ruler of Mercia, even going as far as attempting to assassinate Penda. Since he is also the king of Bernicia, Peter and Ēadgȳþ have a problem with this. How should they proceed?
Peter and Ēadgȳþ should send a mercenary to assassinate Eanfriþ, but also impose direct rule over Mercia. (proposed by mèþru).

-

The orthography for Proto-Britainese is complete!
/m n ɲ/ - <m n ni>
/p b t d k g/ - <p b t d c~qu g~gu>
/tʃ dʒ/ - <ce~c g~ge>
/f v s z ʃ h/ - <f v s~ss s sc h>
/r l ʎ j w/ - <r l gli~cli~li i u>
/i y u e o ɛ ɔ a/ - <i ui~oi~ói u e o é ó a>
/iu eo ɛa/ - <iu eu ea>

31) Will Proto-Britainese have “do-support” as in English and Brythonic Celtic languages?
a) Yes.
b) No.
c) Other.

32) Will Proto-Britainese change its word order in interrogatives?
a) Yes, to SOV word order.
b) Yes, to VOS word order.
c) Yes, to VSO word order.
d) Yes, to OSV word order.
e) Yes, to OVS word order.
f) No.
g) Other.

33) Peter and Ēadgȳþ now control both Mercia and Britannia, and Conan is the heir to both kingdoms. Once taking the throne, his official title will be King of Britannia and Mercia. What should they do with Penda?
a) Give him a high position of power such as Duke/Baron/Marquess of Mercia.
b) Give Penda a high position in the king’s court.
c) He should be given a position as an abbot somewhere removed from the centers of power, where he won't be a threat to Conan's succession or produce heirs to be a threat to Conan's succession. (Proposed by Zaarin)
d) He should be given a position as an abbot somewhere removed from the centers of power, where he won't be a threat to Conan's succession or produce heirs to be a threat to Conan's succession. (Proposed by ˈd̪ʲɛ.gɔ kɾuˑl̪)
e) Other.

34) After assassinating Eanfriþ, Bernicia has declared war against Britannia. How should we proceed?
a) We should ignore them.
b) We should send some soldiers to sack their capital.
c) Other.

You have until Monday, November 13 at 01:00 UTC to vote.
Last edited by gokupwned5 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Themasteroflol
Niš
Niš

Post by Themasteroflol »

31. A
32. C
33. A
34. B

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

31. a
32. c
33. c -- He should be given a position as an abbot somewhere removed from the centers of power, where he won't be a threat to Conan's succession or produce heirs to be a threat to Conan's succession.
34. b
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

31. B
32. C
33. What Zaarin said
34. B
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

ˈd̪ʲɛ.gɔ kɾuˑl̪
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ˈd̪ʲɛ.gɔ kɾuˑl̪ »

31. b
32. c
33. The Zaarin's proposition, but they should be ready to react fast to Penda's relatives' defiance
34. b
In Budapest:
- Hey mate, are you hung-a-ry?

Artaxes
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Artaxes »

31.a
32.c
33.b
34.b

gokupwned5
Sanci
Sanci

Post by gokupwned5 »

The orthography for Proto-Britainese is complete!
/m n ɲ/ - <m n ni>
/p b t d k g/ - <p b t d c~qu g~gu>
/tʃ dʒ/ - <ce~c g~ge>
/f v s z ʃ h/ - <f v s~ss s sc h>
/r l ʎ j w/ - <r l gli~cli~li i u>
/i y u e o ɛ ɔ a/ - <i ui~oi~ói u e o é ó a>
/iu eo ɛa/ - <iu eu ea>

31) Will Proto-Britainese have “do-support” as in English and Brythonic Celtic languages?
Proto-Britainese will have do-support.

32) Will Proto-Britainese change its word order in interrogatives?
Interrogatives will use VSO word order.

33) Peter and Ēadgȳþ now control both Mercia and Britannia, and Conan is the heir to both kingdoms. Once taking the throne, his official title will be King of Britannia and Mercia. What should they do with Penda?
He will be given a position as an abbot somewhere removed from the centers of power, where he won't be a threat to Conan's succession or produce heirs to be a threat to Conan's succession. (Proposed by Zaarin)

34) After assassinating Eanfriþ, Bernicia has declared war against Britannia. How should we proceed?
We will send some soldiers to sack their capital.
-

35) Should Proto-Britainese retain the four noun cases of Vulgar Latin?
a) Yes.
b) No, only Nominative, Accusative, and Genitive.
c) No, only Nominative, Dative, and Genitive.
d) No, only Nominative and Genitive, but Accusative and Dative merge into an Oblique case.
e) No, only Nominative and Genitive.
f) No.
g) No, only Nominative and Oblique, as per Old French (no Genitive)
h) Other.

36) It is currently AD 630 and the Bernicians have been successfully fended off. Should Mercia be incorporated as part of Britannia, or should it be made a vassal state ruled directly by the government? Making it a part of Britannia’s territory would make us part of the Heptarchy, due to land and bloodlines.
a) Make it a vassal state.
b) Make it a part of Britannia, and split it into districts with their own governors.
c) Other.

You have until Tuesday, November 14, at 01:00 UTC, to vote.
Last edited by gokupwned5 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

35. only Nominative and Oblique, as per Old French (no Genitive)
36. b
kårroť

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

35. What mèþru said.
36. b

ˈd̪ʲɛ.gɔ kɾuˑl̪
Avisaru
Avisaru

35. d
36. b
In Budapest:

Themasteroflol
Niš
Niš

Post by Themasteroflol »

35. D
36. B

gokupwned5
Sanci
Sanci

Post by gokupwned5 »

35) Should Proto-Britainese retain the four noun cases of Vulgar Latin?
We will keep the Nominative and Genitive, but have the Accusative and Dative cases merge into an Oblique case. There was a two-way tie between d and g.

36) It is currently AD 630 and the Bernicians have been successfully fended off. Should Mercia be incorporated as part of Britannia, or should it be made a vassal state ruled directly by the government? Making it a part of Britannia’s territory would make us part of the Heptarchy, due to land and bloodlines.
We will make it a part of Britannia, and split it into districts with their own governors.

-

New Questions:

36) Should we offer the King’s daughter to the King of Wessex to form a dynastic union and possibly strengthen our alliance? (Still working out the names).
a) Yes.
b) No.
c) Other.

37) We have fast-forwarded about 200 years to the time of King Alfred of Kent (Alfred the Great in our timeline). He is trying to unify the entire Heptarchy but we, as well as Wessex, are uncertain about losing our independence. What should we do?
a) Remain independent.
b) Remain independent, but incorporate Wessex into our lands. (Wessex is our ally in this situation)
c) Join the Anglo-Saxon kingdom and be a part of England.
d) Other.

You have until Wednesday, November 15, at 01:00 UTC to vote. Before we get into Old Britainese, I would like to delve into the world-building aspect of this a bit and show you guys some examples of what Proto-Britainese looks like. What should I translate?

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I'm confused. What are the boundaries of the kingdoms before 600 CE? Why is there even an independent Kent or Wessex?
kårroť

gokupwned5
Sanci
Sanci

Post by gokupwned5 »

The borders have remained stationary and are basically the same as this map except that Mercia and North Wales are part of Britannia, and West Wales is part of Wessex.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I assumed that the kingdom would be based off of this, covering at least London and Colchester:
More: show
kårroť

Themasteroflol
Niš
Niš

Post by Themasteroflol »

36. A
37. B

gokupwned5
Sanci
Sanci

Post by gokupwned5 »

mèþru wrote:I assumed that the kingdom would be based off of this, covering at least London and Colchester:
More: show
We could make it so that in this timeline, they have control of Essex too and have cornered Kent.

ˈd̪ʲɛ.gɔ kɾuˑl̪
Avisaru
Avisaru

36. a
37. b
In Budapest:

Artaxes
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Artaxes »

36.a
37.b

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

36. a
37. b

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

36. a, as long as Wessex doesn't object to us taking over Sussex (the Fishbourne palace is there, which would make a very good cultural capital for a Romano-British kingdom.)
If Wessex refuses to keep their noses out of Sussex, we refuse.

Alfred the Great was from the House of Wessex. Kent had been ruled by Wessex for some time by then and its royal family was extinct. Anyway, Kent is one of the smaller, weak kingdoms. Without Mercian power Wessex would have absorbed it even earlier. And even then, we're completely skipping the Viking invasion, which would completely alter the situation anyway. So I'm not answering 37.
kårroť

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Also, due to the phrasing of question 2, I kind of assumed that there would be one Romance kingdom and one Anglo-Saxon kingdom. I've actually contemplated a similar idea a while ago, in which most of Britain is under a Romance king somewhere near Peterborough, with a the Jutes and Saxons being limited to the border with Scotland and to Kent, while Wales and western England are various de facto independent Celtic entities under the de jure rule of the Romance Kingdom.
kårroť

gokupwned5
Sanci
Sanci

Post by gokupwned5 »

mèþru wrote:36. a, as long as Wessex doesn't object to us taking over Sussex (the Fishbourne palace is there, which would make a very good cultural capital for a Romano-British kingdom.)
If Wessex refuses to keep their noses out of Sussex, we refuse.

Alfred the Great was from the House of Wessex. Kent had been ruled by Wessex for some time by then and its royal family was extinct. Anyway, Kent is one of the smaller, weak kingdoms. Without Mercian power Wessex would have absorbed it even earlier. And even then, we're completely skipping the Viking invasion, which would completely alter the situation anyway. So I'm not answering 37.
The only reason I put that he ruled Kent was because of his paternal lineage.

Ealhmund of Kent < Egbert of Wessex < Æthelwulf of Wessex < Alfred the Great

In this alternate timeline, Alfred's paternal ancestors never start ruling Wessex, only remaining in Kent. Britannia could have easily been the substitute of said Mercian power. Also, Wessex would approve of taking Sussex I suppose. And about the Viking Invasion, I was planning on making that the next question.