Discussions worth keeping around later.
Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Re: The Official ZBB Quote Thread

Post by Ser »

nort|laptop = Nortaneous, Cev = Xephyr
[18:59:54] <nort|laptop> As in many Salish languages, the syntactic categories of ‘noun’ and ‘verb’ are not usefully distinguished in Saanich. Therefore, the ∥s-∥ prefix is really something quite different from what is usually thought of as a nominalizer.
[19:00:00] <nort|laptop> What ∥s-∥ has in common with nominalizers in more familiar languages is not the syntactic function of converting one category into another, but the semantic function of converting a form that refers to a process into one that refers to an entity. Forms with ∥s-∥, like those without, can function as arguments to predicates (examples 1-3) or as predicate heads themselves (examples 4-11). They can take voice, person, and aspect
[19:00:32] <Yng> I always wonder how it happens
[19:00:38] <Yng> like
[19:00:49] <Yng> if you imagine that historically that language had distinct nouns and verbs
[19:00:51] <Yng> do
[19:00:57] <Yng> all nouns get replaced by nominalised verbal constructions
[19:01:08] <Yng> by VAST ANALOGY
[19:03:21] <Cev> the nouns get reanalyzed as predicatables
[19:03:48] <Yng> yeah
[19:03:48] <Cev> A year or so ago I had this like epiphany, regarding these north american languages where "whooo the distinction between noun and verb is fuzzy... whoooo"
[19:04:03] <Cev> And I don't know if it was a real epiphany that actually matches the real world situation, or a false epiphany
[19:04:18] <Cev> But I realized that people who are worrying too much about whether something is a noun or a verb are just looking at it the wrong way
[19:04:37] <Cev> And, going off of this, even learned people on the zbb who know what they're talking about, go about it the wrong way
[19:04:57] <Cev> Like one time Eddy asked "how do you know whether šuŋka is a noun meaning "horse" or a verb meaning "it is a horse"?"
[19:05:02] <Cev> and someone responded "context!"
[19:05:02] <nort|laptop> 2.1.1.4. An initial /s/ in borrowed words is readily treated as an ∥s-∥ ‘nominalizer’.
[19:05:04] <Cev> but that's the wrong answer
[19:05:07] <Cev> Because it's a nonquestion
[19:05:10] <Yng> yeah
[19:05:24] <Cev> It's like asking "How can I tell when 'grande' means 'big' and when it means 'large'?"
[19:05:28] <Yng> because it kind of imagines that these are useful categories in the
[19:05:29] <Yng> yes
[19:05:52] <Cev> Another way to describe it is
[19:06:12] <Cev> When you read word-for-word literal translations of languages with lots of resumptive pronouns, or translations which express conjugated verbs with pronouns
[19:06:47] <Cev> like "the larger men they went up to the woman who the boy he knew her"
[19:06:55] <Cev> that seems weird but you see the sense underneath it?
[19:07:19] <Cev> Well it's just an extension to that, to think of a sentence that goes "it is a house he is a man he lives there we know it" for "we know that the man lives in a house"
[19:07:53] <Cev> The category of verb, really, is in a way just a technique to express emphasis
[19:08:32] <Cev> That's why when we translate something like "it is a house" it sounds like it draws attention to itself
[19:08:42] <Cev> Like the listener doesn't already know there's a house there
[19:09:02] <nort|laptop> huh
[19:09:02] <Cev> it sounds like a PREDICATE
[19:09:16] <nort|laptop> ah
[19:13:04] <Cev> I think it was when I was reading a paragraph or something in a book about the Lakota mantra "mitakuye oyas'in"
[19:13:13] <Cev> Which alternately means "all of my relatives" or "we are all related"
[19:13:21] <Yng> yeah
[19:13:25] <Cev> And there was a moment of clarity when I realized how it could mean both of those things at the same time
Last edited by Ser on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

yeah a lot of Eddy's questions have as their most correct answer "you're asking the wrong question", which sadly he's shown he can't understand at all
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Yes. A tiger is a striped jungle cat, after all.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Radius Solis wrote:Yes. A tiger is a striped jungle cat, after all.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Click
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Click »

linguoboy wrote:
Unsung genius GJK Campbell-Dunn wrote:The word "two" bi, bi-ga, bi-da in Basque relates to Bantu bili "two" (Johnston 1919 - 22 : 32), and ultimately to Niger-Congo bi "breasts"
Because we all know how the traditional way of counting to two among primitive peoples is to point once to each breast.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

<Drydic> anyways Baloo's plane was basically the Millenium Falcon in seaplane form

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Drydic Guy wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:Then we can ask Turin, we can ask SLC, I don't fucking care what city we ask just so long as we move the Olympics from Russia. Vancouver is just the logical choice because the infrastructure is all still intact.
Why don't we just hold them in Olympia? The infrastructure is pretty much still intact.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Pthagnar wrote:i have acquired a cursory knowledge of supermarkets in europe, but to punish you for making a shitty thread, i will not share any of it with you

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Xephyr wrote:[19:04:57] <Cev> Like one time Eddy asked "how do you know whether šuŋka is a noun meaning "horse" or a verb meaning "it is a horse"?"
[19:05:02] <Cev> and someone responded "context!"
[19:05:04] <Cev> but that's the wrong answer
[19:05:07] <Cev> Because it's a nonquestion
If it was me (which seems likely) who said context, it's because that's the answer to how you know how to translate the word into English, which wasn't the question asked, but.
Xephyr wrote:[19:13:04] <Cev> I think it was when I was reading a paragraph or something in a book about the Lakota mantra "mitakuye oyas'in"
[19:13:13] <Cev> Which alternately means "all of my relatives" or "we are all related"
[19:13:25] <Cev> And there was a moment of clarity when I realized how it could mean both of those things at the same time
It's not exactly accurate for this particular phrase. It's most accurate to call it "all my relatives", because mi- can't be affixed to finitely conjugated words ("verbs") and because there's no morphology indicating "we". This is like having a moment of clarity and realizing that "how are you" means "hello" and "how do you feel" at the same time; it's just the literal meaning of all my relatives vs. the meaning in context of we are all related. I agree with what your point though.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

Radius Solis wrote:
Salmoneus wrote:Wait, Walmart didn't used to sell food? Huh. I assumed they sold everything, from the way people speak about them. So they just sold... what, bric-a-brac-y household items?
If by "bric-a-brac-y household items" you mean clothes, home and personal electronics, gardening supplies, furniture, appliances and machines, sporting goods, toys, tires and car repair stuff, christmas decorations, linens, paint, pets, kitchenware, hardware, stationery, bicycles, liquor, houseplants, and guns, then: yes.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Radius Solis wrote:In response to Xephyr's original reply: I also do not see what this has to do with being qualified to judge a name's awfulness. Some people have a comparable aversion to e.g. "moist" - do we require them to be experts on moistness before allowing them to find the word unpleasant?
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

[14:42] <dhok> afternoon
[14:43] <dhok> is er
[14:44] <dhok> I don't recognize a lot of these names on here
[14:45] <guitarplayer> Ang|Oot = Anguipes; MaelKerilson = Izambri
[14:45] <guitarplayer> other than that, it's the usual suspects
[14:45] <Slereah> Hello
[14:46] <dhok> markus?
[14:47] <guitarplayer> miekko
[14:47] <Slereah> Miekk'ojew
[14:48] == MaelKerilson has changed nick to Izambri
[14:49] <Izambri> *burps*
[14:51] <guitarplayer> Mec Ó Diú
[14:51] <dhok> but there's already a miekko
[14:51] <dhok> is it
[14:51] <dhok> SPAWN OF MIEKKO?
[14:51] <Slereah> Two miekkos for the price of one
[14:51] <dhok> bred in a radioactive vat by a mad scientist!
[14:52] <nort|laptop> <vv> /R/
[14:52] <nort|laptop> <hh> /G/
[14:52] <nort|laptop> goodorthography
[14:52] <miekko> huh
[14:52] <nort|laptop> qiang
[14:52] <miekko> oh
[14:52] <nort|laptop> the *official* one
[14:53] <miekko> I forgot my copy online I guess
[14:53] <nort|laptop> oh
[14:53] <markus> you're the copy
[14:53] <miekko> fuck you
[14:53] <nort|laptop> fight
[14:53] <dhok> fight
[14:53] == markus [markus@464b931d.dhcp.28320769.fi.hmsk] has left #isharia [killed violently]

Click
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Click »

Salmoneus wrote:The issue of just vs unjust discrimination was addressed some time ago, in the spoudogeloic syllogism of Hipparchia of Maroneia, contra Theodorus the Atheist:
"Allow that if one person is to be permitted to perform a certain action, it must also be permitted for any other person to perform the action. Allow also that Theodorus has the right to punch himself in the face. From these premises it must follow that Hipparchia may also punch Theodorus in the face."
*punches Theodorus in the face*
Drydic Guy wrote:Let it be known that Salmoneus just recommended we gang up on and beat up Zayk.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Xephyr wrote:Salmoneus, I appreciate how seriously you must take your monastic vow to never break kayfabe, but for the benefit of those of us who aren't familiar with the London cityscape, would you please explain what the fuck you're talking about?

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Legion wrote:And today we learned that Salmoneus doesn't know the difference between "genocide" and "ethnic cleansing".
Image Image

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

I'm a bit uncomfortable that the last three quotes here refer disparagingly to Salmoneus?
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

He has a high comedic potential, unbeknown to himself.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Dewrad wrote:I'm a bit uncomfortable that the last three quotes here refer disparagingly to Salmoneus?
I wasn't intending to be disparaging towards him in the slightest with the Zayk-punching, fwiw.
Image Image

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

<Radius> they finished putting in the new carpet
<Radius> it is beautiful and plush and practically luxurious
<Cev> is it made entirely from walrus pelts?
<Radius> no
<Radius> but it does contain real girl scouts

Click
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Click »

WeepingElf wrote:One day, I'll perhaps come up with an exceedingly ugly and bureaucratic programming language named COMSOMOL, which would make COBOL look elegant in comparison. However, I haven't even started working out the language, and also don't know yet what the acronym COMSOMOL stands for.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Jipí wrote:/me goes to fuck himself then. Mod said so.

Click
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Click »

<Cev> I like to think there's a special place in Heck for people who post 240p videos on youtube and label then "hq" or "hd"
<Cev> A place where they're forever damned to play Minesweeper but each time they start a game, the first square they click has a mine in it!
Xephyr wrote:LIBERTÉ, ÉGALITÉ, FRATERNITÉ, ET DES AVATARS PLUS GRANDS

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Kereb wrote:There's this thing I do sometimes where I see people posting in forums asking about various problems they're having with their cars. I see a question about some particular issue someone is having and I post a reply in their thread saying "my car works just fine!" or "I don't get that problem at all!". I think it's important that this stranger who's having a problem and looking for a helpful answer should know that their problem is something that I luckily haven't had to deal with. Because ... um ...

oh wait no, I got confused

it's not cars. it's computers.

So yeah I go on forums where someone is having a problem with some particular computer program and they're asking other users for help. I reply to their post by saying something like "it always works just fine for me!" or "I never get that problem on mine!" I think that a person who's looking for an answer to their problem should know that I never had to deal with the same problem because ... uh fuck wait

no no I got confused again

that's not me. that's you.

Seriously what the fuck is wrong with you people. How can anyone think that's a constructive reply ever.
Theta wrote:I dunno Kereb, I never get that problem on my forums.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

<H13> pthagnar
<pthagnar> what
<H13> I did not win any fabulous prizes when I met you
<pthagnar> yes you did
<pthagnar> you got the gift of uh
<H13> unless your presence is a fabulous prize in itself
<pthagnar> idk, being party to a political hatecrime
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

Nesescosac
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nesescosac »

Ulrike Meinhof wrote:
Pole wrote:
merijn wrote:EDITED to use the proper abbreviation for Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar
Ah, I thought that HPSG is some kind of a Harry Potter pairing, but just couldn't decipher that SG.
Stargate
I did have a bizarrely similar (to the original poster's) accident about four years ago, in which I slipped over a cookie and somehow twisted my ankle so far that it broke
What kind of cookie?
Aeetlrcreejl > Kicgan Vekei > me /ne.ses.tso.sats/