The Official ZBB Quote Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: The Official ZBB Quote Thread

Post by jal »

Chagen wrote:The utter lack of respect fantasy authors give to conlanging when they frequently spend pages masturbating over incredibly minute and useless historical accuracy can drive me into a deep deep depression at times.
JAL

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Salmoneus wrote: […]

d) non-corresponding probabilistic non-agglomeration: Alpha is probable and Beta is probable, even though the conjunction of Alpha and Beta is improbable or impossible. Now, normally we'd say 'ok, probable, but is it actual?', because we think of probability as corresponding to an underlying reality in which things really are or really aren't. But if we do away with that reality, we can think of probability in other ways: for instance, mainstream interpretations of quantum physics are happy talking about probabilities that do not reflect an underlying certainty. We could then conceive of gods not as absolutes but as likelihoods, possibilities, probabilities, in which case non-agglomeration becomes very likely.

We could also try a similar trick with some other mode of existence - perhaps call gods 'potentialities', for instance.
Kereb wrote:Image

The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

I came up with the word "declinjugation" to replace the phrase "declension and conjugation"
I support this so much and no inflection doesn't do it because no

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Torco wrote:
Salmoneus wrote:Nobody could possibly call the Koran a straightforward account of the word of God.

Sure, revealed to one writer, in order. But then the chapters are taken out of chronological order and instead ordered in approximate order of decreasing length. And within each chapter there can be complete changes between several unrelated topics.

It's what scripture would look like if it were written by a postmodernist.

[No offence intended, of course, and no comment on the content, but it's fair to say it's not the most conventional way of conveying a message]
Sure, I agree; it's just if the koran is scripture written by a postmodernist, the bible is scripture in the form of a Dream Theater album.

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

prettydragoon wrote:Essentially, if you are making an a priori conlang, that implies you have to pull most of it e posteriori.

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

Particles the Greek
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Particles the Greek »

Matrix wrote:
prettydragoon wrote:Essentially, if you are making an a priori conlang, that implies you have to pull most of it e posteriori.
*I* was going to quote that!!!
Non fidendus est crocodilus quis posteriorem dentem acerbum conquetur.

Aili Meilani
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aili Meilani »

Hallow XIII wrote:Do you, like, go to a special idiot training school or are you naturally this dense? Jesus fuck even gold could learn from you.

vtardif
Sanci
Sanci

Post by vtardif »

Hydroeccentricity wrote:So Catdoom, are your hyena-people going to be ruled by thick-cocked matriarchs?
(aka vbegin)

tiramisu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tiramisu »

23:57:09 <Zayk> what is the Greek word for cats
23:57:19 <pthagnar> same as verdurian
00:01:38 <Yatalac> Zayk: ailuros, no?
00:04:39 <Zayk> Yatalac that's what I found :D
00:04:41 <Zayk> thanks
00:05:22 <Zayk> fun fact in Verdurian it's ailuro

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Why'd you remove so many lines?

<Zayk> what is the Greek word for cats
<pthagnar> same as verdurian
<@pharazon> conlang burn
<Zayk> ohhhhhhhhh
<Yatalac> Zayk: ailuros, no?
<Zayk> Yatalac that's what I found :D
<Zayk> thanks
<Zayk> fun fact in Verdurian it's ailuro
<Cev> :D
<Cev> That's funny.
<Yatalac> lol
<pthagnar> Zayk, told u

The version you posted was pretty much just you asking for a Greek word and then getting it... Hilarious?...
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

tiramisu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tiramisu »

Well, first, those last few lines don't really belong. It's you and Yatalac laughing. Hilarious. Maybe pthagnar's last line, maybe.
Second, we discussed whether those middle lines should be included or not, because it would come off more harshly than intended. Or, at least, I was hesitant to include them and phar agreed it shouldn't/doesn't need to be included in the quote thread, and nobody voiced any disagreement. The funny part is that pthagnar made the prediction, not the "conlang burn." Thanks for bringing it up here instead of putting in your two cents in #isharia.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Theophorus wrote:Well, first, those last few lines don't really belong. It's you and Yatalac laughing. Hilarious. Maybe pthagnar's last line, maybe.
Second, we discussed whether those middle lines should be included or not, because it would come off more harshly than intended. Or, at least, I was hesitant to include them and phar agreed it shouldn't/doesn't need to be included in the quote thread, and nobody voiced any disagreement. The funny part is that pthagnar made the prediction, not the "conlang burn." Thanks for bringing it up here instead of putting in your two cents in #isharia.
"conlang burn" and esp. "told u" are the punchlines to the joke... otherwise, like I said, it's just you asking for a Greek word and then getting it. Also, you had left #isharia by the time I saw your post.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Err... guys... Can we stop the meta discussion? Thank you.

JAL

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

We can discuss about it.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

could you provide reasons for your request of the metadiscussion to cease? I can't think of any right now.

#meta^3

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Xephyr wrote:
Theophorus wrote:Well, first, those last few lines don't really belong. It's you and Yatalac laughing. Hilarious. Maybe pthagnar's last line, maybe.
"conlang burn" and esp. "told u" are the punchlines to the joke... otherwise, like I said, it's just you asking for a Greek word and then getting it. Also, you had left #isharia by the time I saw your post.
How the hell can "conlang burn" be a punchline to that joke?

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

It's #isharia humor. It's different from ZBB humor. Don't worry too much about it.
The Gospel of Thomas

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

ObsequiousNewt wrote:gleb /ɡlɛb/ (past tense glob or glebbed) 1. vt to baptize a duck with, while wearing rubber-soled shoes 2. n any of a range of thiocyanates used for said baptism. (From Middle English gleben, loaned from Old Norse gleba, from Proto-Germanic *glebaną, from Proto-Indo-European *ǵʰlebʰ-, *ǵʰl̥bʰ. Cognate with Ancient Greek κλάφομαι ("I massage with a spatula"), Latin globeō ("I impale lengthwise with a tuning-fork"), and Old Armenian xkʿoy ("I am")).
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Baptize a duck with what?
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

Hopefully olive oil, with some nice spices.
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Thiocyanate solutions, usually. (See the second definition.)

Interestingly enough, KSCN solution is used as fake blood, and Co(SCN)2 is used to test for cocaine.

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Qwynegold wrote:Baptize a duck with what?
Baptize a duck with. It is a transitive verb. For instance, I glob a bottle of cognac means I baptized a duck with a bottle of cognac.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Pole, the wrote:means I baptized a duck with a bottle of cognac.
while wearing rubber-soled shoes!

JAL

EDIT: fixed
Last edited by jal on Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Oh. What a garden path.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

jal wrote:
Pole, the wrote:means I baptized a duck with a bottle of cognac.
while wearing rubber-soled shoes!

JAL

EDIT: fixed
Of course. What a glubble would it be without a pair of decent rubber-soled shoes!