Happy Things Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Happy Things Thread

Post by Matrix »

sirdanilot wrote:This is the Happy threat, Matrix, let's all just enjoy life and be happy once in a while.
How about you stop being a douchebag once in a while.

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Or you could help this thread go back on-topic and share in the fact that I can enjoy my deadline extension (or just post a happy thing that has happened to you, you don't need to react on my happy statement if you don't want to of course).

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Matrix wrote:How about you stop being a douchebag once in a while.
Now that should make everyone happy! :)

JAL

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Recent-ish happy: Got to go to a Nightwish concert yesterday. 'twas awesome. I happy.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

I'm getting closer to finding a topic for my thesis. It will involve a little region of Belgium called Eupen-Malmedy and might end up looking at the use of German versus French especially in Eupen and its rural counterparts especially attitudes towards French within the German-speaking region of Belgium. Lots to hash out and read up on and then I will be off to Liege for a year to research, among other things, but lots of research and fieldwork on this seldom--studied region of language contact.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

I have finally diagnosed a weird kind of migraine*-ish crises I had during all my childhood as vertebrobasilar insufficiency. Symptoms included 5 to 10 second-long crises of bilateral fuzzy total blindness, vertigo to the point of falling down and brain tingling that became a crushing headache. I hid it from everyone as a kid because I felt that I wouldn't be able to explain why I suddenly had to lie down and stop talking (and I assumed it wasn't dangerous).

*I know it's not a migraine, that those are long and horrible, but I refer to the intensity and quality of the pain.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Thats interesting Viktor

I remember when I was in that region it was usual for the people to ask 'Français ou Allemand?', to establish in what language to speak. Sadly I was a child and only spoke Dutch at that time, and only very few people if any there speak Dutch (Belgium is not a very bilingual country in that respect), despite the proximity of Dutch-speaking Voerstreek (Belgium) and Limburg (in the netherlands). And obviously they also speak no English.

It would surprise me if there were many people in Eupen-Malmedy who would be monolingual in German. I don't think that's very convenient. But hey perhaps they do exist.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

sirdanilot wrote:Thats interesting Viktor

I remember when I was in that region it was usual for the people to ask 'Français ou Allemand?', to establish in what language to speak. Sadly I was a child and only spoke Dutch at that time, and only very few people if any there speak Dutch (Belgium is not a very bilingual country in that respect), despite the proximity of Dutch-speaking Voerstreek (Belgium) and Limburg (in the netherlands). And obviously they also speak no English.

It would surprise me if there were many people in Eupen-Malmedy who would be monolingual in German. I don't think that's very convenient. But hey perhaps they do exist.
This is exactly what my research so far is telling me. The Germans accommodate the French even where the minority is small, but the French don't accommodate the Germans even where the minoroty is substantial. This isn't atypical within Europe but now I want to know more about their attitudes towards French and German. With regards to Dutch it is as your experience highlites, pretty nonexistent. This is another aspect of Belgium which is rather intriguing. I need to gain a working proficiency in German and Dutch in 3 months this summer so I can carry out this research. Right now I only have French but I will no doubt have to carry out interviews in at least German, and have to be able to read and recognize Dutch. Lots of the literature is in one of those languages so I need to gain knowledge as fast as possible haha.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

It is such a sad thing to see Jako Gorenc looking for numbers for his site.

So I had an idea of a way to help him.

And so I created the Random Numerals Generator. Enjoy! :P
(Each refresh generates a new conlang sketch with a set of numerals.)
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Pole, the wrote:And so I created the Random Numerals Generator. Enjoy! :P
(Each refresh generates a new conlang sketch with a set of numerals.)
Clever! And it even creates different base-systems each time! Bardzo mi się podoba!

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Viktor77 wrote:
This is exactly what my research so far is telling me. The Germans accommodate the French even where the minority is small, but the French don't accommodate the Germans even where the minoroty is substantial. This isn't atypical within Europe but now I want to know more about their attitudes towards French and German. With regards to Dutch it is as your experience highlites, pretty nonexistent. This is another aspect of Belgium which is rather intriguing. I need to gain a working proficiency in German and Dutch in 3 months this summer so I can carry out this research. Right now I only have French but I will no doubt have to carry out interviews in at least German, and have to be able to read and recognize Dutch. Lots of the literature is in one of those languages so I need to gain knowledge as fast as possible haha.
Well just tell me if you need any help with Dutch or with understanding an article written in Dutch. I think it's most important for you to learn to read and write, and less important to speak. The area you will be going to isn't an area where Dutch is sproken and if you make trips to Maastricht or Antwerp or something you can simply speak English and it'll be fine.

Also the Ardennes are a beautiful, hilly area. In winter you can also do cross-country skiiing, we used to do this when there was snow. The area is just not mountaineous enough to really do alpine skiiing. In summer you can go on canoe trips and such we also used to do that. The only downside is that Liège itself is a very, very butt-ugly city, comparable to rust-belt cities of the United States. The only city that is uglier is Charleroi which is the capitol of the Belgian 'rust-belt'.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Viktor77 wrote:attitudes towards French within the German-speaking region of Belgium.
When travaling from the Netherlands via Maastricht to Saarbrücken (which I do every year with Easter), in most German-language parts of Belgium, all the French on road signs has been painted over / scratched out. It being Belgium, that hasn't been repaired in many years.

JAL

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

I haven't seen that but maybe you entered on some small roads where they do that. The roads in the region are abysmal by the way. Belgium is notorious for not repairing their roads properly and this region is the worst in that respect (most major roads in Flanders have been renovated in the past few years, although the road we always used was so bad you could only use the left lane of the highway when travelling in a certain direction due to all of the holes).

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

sirdanilot wrote:I haven't seen that but maybe you entered on some small roads where they do that.
Right, Sir D. hasn't seen it, so I must've entered some obscure roads. It is everywhere. I'm referring to the motorways. Geez, stop being so goddamn egocentric.
The roads in the region are abysmal by the way. Belgium is notorious for not repairing their roads properly and this region is the worst in that respect
Isn't there a single topic imaginable you don't go blabbering off-topic trying to impress us with your general knowledge??

JAL

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

jal wrote:
sirdanilot wrote:I haven't seen that but maybe you entered on some small roads where they do that.
Right, Sir D. hasn't seen it, so I must've entered some obscure roads. It is everywhere. I'm referring to the motorways. Geez, stop being so goddamn egocentric.
The roads in the region are abysmal by the way. Belgium is notorious for not repairing their roads properly and this region is the worst in that respect
Isn't there a single topic imaginable you don't go blabbering off-topic trying to impress us with your general knowledge??

JAL
Wow you really have issues, dude. I am just making some general chit-chat and you get all worked up. Why do you seem to think everything I say is said in order to start an argument? Even using uncivilized cursewords like g*dd*mn... wow.
If you'd use those words in my house I'd ask you to leave, boy, didn't your mother teach you some good manners as a child?

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

sirdanilot wrote:Wow you really have issues, dude. I am just making some general chit-chat and you get all worked up.
It's not me having issues. Listen to yourself. "I am just making some general chit-chat". Do you even realize why a forum has *topics*? Do you even know the meaning of the word *off-topic*?
If you'd use those words in my house I'd ask you to leave, boy, didn't your mother teach you some good manners as a child?
Again, "boy" is a very rude swearword, with racist connotations. If you use it one more time I'm going to report you.

JAL

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

sirdanilot wrote:
jal wrote:

JAL
Wow you really have issues, dude. I am just making some general chit-chat and you get all worked up. Why do you seem to think everything I say is said in order to start an argument? Even using uncivilized cursewords like g*dd*mn... wow.
Patronising, much.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

jal wrote: It's not me having issues. Listen to yourself. "I am just making some general chit-chat". Do you even realize why a forum has *topics*? Do you even know the meaning of the word *off-topic*?
Do you have an autism spectrum illness (sorry don't know the translation for Dutch autisme spectrum stoornis)? Because if so then I can understand why you adhere to your little 'topics' and categories so much. But if not then you should stop worrying about it so much. This is the 'happy things thread', not the 'let's do everything according to JAL's wishes' thread. This means that anything which is general chit-chatty and happy is allowed. Not your incredibly rude swear word usage and fighting.
Again, "boy" is a very rude swearword, with racist connotations. If you use it one more time I'm going to report you.

JAL
Boy is not a swearword nor is its Dutch equivalent, but hey go ahead and report me. You are the one uttering incredibly offensive swearwords. Now this board is quite liberal towards swear words (which is okay as long as they are consistent) but I tend to have much less respect for people who use such vile language.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Just a re-cap in case a mod gets here.

This was some very peaceful, nice, quaint chit-chat.
sirdanilot wrote:I haven't seen that but maybe you entered on some small roads where they do that. The roads in the region are abysmal by the way. Belgium is notorious for not repairing their roads properly and this region is the worst in that respect (most major roads in Flanders have been renovated in the past few years, although the road we always used was so bad you could only use the left lane of the highway when travelling in a certain direction due to all of the holes).
JAL in all his fury, anger, rage and foul-wordedness turned it into the ugly discussion that is happening now. That while as a good Dutchman he should know the mantra 'doe normaal' (act normally). Be normal and the situation won't get out of hand. But also a Dutch mantra is 'als je een grote bek hebt kun je hem terug verwachten' (I wouldn't even know how to translate that, if you have 'a big mouth' you can expect it back?). As a normal Dutchman JAL should know these things. By violating them he has caused this extreme turmoil.

Not my fault is it?

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

@jal,

To be fair, I'm not sure sirdanilot is using "boy" as anything but an interjection. As in "Boy, that was close!" That's not to say he is isn't generally being a bit of a prick, though.

Also, as a note; using asterisks in place of vowels in an attempt to render words seen as vulgar somehow less so, is a futile and ridiculous way to increasingly make yourself seem like a puerile nun bent on repressing what is ultimately harmless vernacular.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

I do not utter such vile and offensive language myself. I do sometimes need a meta-way to talk about it, which is the reason for using abbreviations or 'censored' texts. This is also why Jews talk about G-d using a dash rather than writing it out, and they also use abbreviations in Hebrew script for the Name of G-d.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

jal wrote:
sirdanilot wrote:Wow you really have issues, dude. I am just making some general chit-chat and you get all worked up.
It's not me having issues. Listen to yourself. "I am just making some general chit-chat". Do you even realize why a forum has *topics*? Do you even know the meaning of the word *off-topic*?

JAL
the fuck?

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

jal wrote:Again, "boy" is a very rude swearword, with racist connotations.
Only when used in direct address to African-American men, which (unless there's something about your racial makeup I don't know about) is not the case here.
sirdanilot wrote:Just a re-cap in case a mod gets here.
No need. I always read every word of any exchange you participate in. For my sins.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

sirdanilot wrote:Do you have an autism spectrum illness
Well, that's something that I've always wondered about you, the way you seem to be completely deaf to social conventions and to the meaningful instructions of other people on this board.
Boy is not a swearword
Well, the native speakers seem to agree, but it is extremely belittling, and as such on equal footing to words you probably would consider swear words.

JAL

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Temporarily locking the thread. If you must argue like children, take it to PM.