Venting thread that still excludes eddy (2)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Re: Venting thread

Post by Salmoneus »

finlay wrote: she didn't want to single anyone out, so she told everyone, but she had to explain what it meant first.
I've always wondered if there isn't something sort of well-meaningly counterproductive in giving bullies and bigots a detailed guide of what not to say and why... kind of like preventing aircraft hijackings by giving a guided tour of which exactly which buttons in the cockpit not to press...

Anyway, I've no idea when I learnt the word 'gay'. The concept always seemed pretty obvious - I mean, I grew up listening to Tchaikovsky, reading Wilde and watching episodes of A Bit of Fry and Laurie, so it was hard not to have some concept of homosexuality. I think I probably was first aware of the word "gay" in the sense of "lame", but not all that much - at a young age, the word was "rough", or for particular emphasis "spastic"/"spaz" (with a brief excursion into "scope"), and in some contexts "gutting". There was a brief period of "lame" in secondary school, developing quickly into "crippled", before settling firmly into "pikey". After I left school, the government discovered heretofore unknown (in this part of the country, at least) etymological difficulties with "pikey", and started putting people in jail for using it, so I don't know what people used after that. They may have transitioned straight into "chav" (because of course that's totally different, nobody could object to that!).
Anyway, a small but noticeable number of people at my school were gay, so using "gay" as an term of depreciation would kind have been rude, so AIR everyone moved away from that fairly quickly.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Salmoneus wrote:a small but noticeable number of people at my school were gay, so using "gay" as an term of depreciation would kind have been rude
In a lot of places that doesn't stop people. A lot of people don't seem to realise its rude. But why does it have to spread so far in the first place, when there are less deragotary words (like saying that something bad is shit)
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

My first hearing of the word "gay" was in the negative sense, I remember one particular instance when I was small when someone who used to bully me a lot told me my dad was gay and I ran from the playgroud crying, it was only later I learned the "normal" meaning.
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

mèþru wrote:
Salmoneus wrote:a small but noticeable number of people at my school were gay, so using "gay" as an term of depreciation would kind have been rude
In a lot of places that doesn't stop people. A lot of people don't seem to realise its rude. But why does it have to spread so far in the first place, when there are less deragotary words (like saying that something bad is shit)
...because saying something is "shit" isn't particularly offensive, so it's toothless. The whole point of saying that something is "crippled" or "spastic" or "gay" is to express hatred toward the other.

But in a reasonable peaceful society, assuming you're not in the US or Uganda or somewhere, people are much less likely to feel hatred for, or express hatred for, people who are in their in-group. If people you know and get on with are gay - if your friends are gay, or if the leaders of the pack are gay (or have gay friends, relatives, etc), then it doesn't make much sense to express hatred for them, so it becomes awkward to use such loaded terms. Of course, a word can pass a point where the non-offensive meaning is so dominant that people find it hard to connect it to the offensive meaning. Going back to my experience: we all used "pikey" not just because we didn't know many Roma, but because nobody knew or cared where the word came from (even my friend who actually was half Romany called things "pikey"). For people in the rest of the country, the same applies to "chav". For some people, this may have come to be true of "gay", just as for I think most of us it's true of "lame".

Speaking of which, there's actually a non-zero chance that my first exposure to the word "gay" outside of its older meaning may well have been this...
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I on the other hand always associated "gay" with homosexuality, and perceived its general negative use as derived from that combined with homophobia. However, I never really associated "lame" with its original, literal meaning, and even when I picked up this meaning I only really associated it with animals and not with people.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

It's difficult where to draw the line. "crazy" seems offensive to some mentally ill people*. I think "crazy" is so watered down that it almost never refers to mental illness.

*EDIT: That is, when it's used in a generic way, like "Trump is crazy".

JAL

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

So I apparently have low frequency hearing loss in both ears. Don't know why yet. Doctor said he suspects Meniere's disease (although aiui it's uncommon for that to be bilateral). It kind of explains a lot (I am TERRIBLE at understanding conversations in noisy environments and hearing what people say on phones, both of which are common issues with low-frequency hearing loss) but even so, it's scary to have unexplained hearing loss, and I absolutely don't need more scary right now.

Plus I have so many medical expenses. I've paid about $1500 in medical bills since June. I'm pretty low income, which in normal circumstances I'm fine with, but now I'm not managing to save any money at all despite trying really hard to reduce expenses in other areas. Being reminded of the sorry state of my bank account is just exacerbating my anxiety about everything.

Also, I'm super alone. My family is horrible and I moved 6,000 miles away from them for a reason, and I haven't managed to establish any close friendships, or even anyone to check in on me to make sure I'm alive. I've certainly tried, but I don't really know how, and they consistently seem to not work out. The most recent example of this is my coworker, who I felt like I was getting pretty close to; we were getting dinner every couple of weeks and stuff like that. But then a few months ago I opened up to her about how freaked out I was (and am) by the Crohn's diagnosis, and then a couple days later, in a meeting, she (very mean-spiritedly) mocked my mannerisms and scolded me for such things as "you look sad too much" and "you eat too many snacks" in a meeting with my boss. Bridge burned, I guess. The thing is, I can't see any consistent patterns in why my friendships don't work...they just don't. Sometimes it's at least partially my fault (there was one last year where both of us clearly crossed boundaries we shouldn't have), but much of the time I really can't see if and where I went wrong, and it feels like every time is for different reasons...but regardless of why, I've been getting so intensely lonely that it feels like my whole body hurts. I can't help being aware that if I died, it's fairly likely that nobody would even notice for weeks.

I have a threshold for stress above which I start getting suicidal thoughts, and I'm passing it.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that. *hug*

My family is mostly pretty good, but even then, I've had issues with them for sure. I've barely ever managed to establish any close friendships in real life and didn't even have any online until about four years ago. I've wanted to meet my online friends forever, but it never happens. (Well, except for the two times I did meet my first such friend, who stopped contacting me altogether later that year for reasons that have nothing to do with me personally). I've had suicidal thoughts before, too, especially because I had low self-esteem (before making online friends).

It's too bad to hear that you're having trouble making friends, though. You do deserve to have some. Sure, we all make mistakes sometimes, but if that was enough to ruin all chances of friendship for everyone, then no one would have friends. It can be hard sometimes to find people who understand what we're going through and why we need their support. I know it has been for me. That's not your fault, though, and I hope you do manage to make some friends because I really can't see any reason why people shouldn't be friends with you. In the meantime, you know I'll always be here to give you a hug and try to offer you whatever support I can at least. :)

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Risla wrote:I have a threshold for stress above which I start getting suicidal thoughts, and I'm passing it.
We're all here for you too if you need it. They're just thoughts; everyone gets them.

I'd like to be able to offer more than just platitudes, but I don't know how.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Ryusenshi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ryusenshi »

On a lighter note: I used to have a CD player with a very useful function, "stop at the end of the current track". And I've never found another one with this function ever since. Why??

(And yes, I know the answer is "who the hell still listens to CDs anyway")

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

guys can you stop having political arguments in this thread thx

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

finlay wrote:guys can you stop having political arguments in this thread thx

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Vent: As was previously mentioned, my dad filed for divorce from my mom about three weeks ago. Level of surprise is nonexistent. While I at least heard about this stuff from my brother/mother earlier, I didn't hear a word about it from my father until yesterday (despite intermittent contact in the interim), when he sent me an e-mail that came across as a "by the way, I'm divorcing your mother" statement. Also, in said message, he wants me to come down to Tex-Ass Texas to visit him and his pimp/girlfriend/probable soon-to-be new wife while I'm back in the US for Christmas.

1.) Getting to Texas from where I live in the US isn't easy, whether by a 22-hour car drive (each way) or an expensive plane ticket. ($500 round trip, minimum!)

2.) I only have three weeks in the states, and I wanted to use some of the time to visit some friends in Ohio that I haven't seen in quite a while. Doing both Texas and Ohio would be very pricey and eat up a lot of time I would want to spend at home.

3.) The whole situation would, at least to me, feel very awkward, especially since it would involve likely visits to my grandfather (who I also don't really have a very good relationship with).

4.) When it comes down to it, I'm a bit tired of this trying to play nice with all parties, especially in that it often feels like I'm trying to "make up" for the fact that my brother has/wants to have practically zero contact with our dad. I'd probably be going by myself, so here I would be trying to make up for the fact brother wouldn't be there. And it's just this being kept out of the loop thing, where, surprise, I hear about things much later on and sometimes well after they've happened from the relevant parties. I do get that I'm an ocean away, but e-mail's there (and he also has my phone number!).

So, yeah, I really don't know what to do here. I'm just tired and frustrated by a lot of this...
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Standing outside the building where there's supposed to be a Swahili meetup now and all the lights are out ... my social anxiety is through the roof anyway, so part of my brain is relieved but I won't let myself leave yet
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Imralu wrote:Standing outside the building where there's supposed to be a Swahili meetup now and all the lights are out ... my social anxiety is through the roof anyway, so part of my brain is relieved but I won't let myself leave yet
Keep warm.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Thanks, people arrived and it all began a bit late. I had a good night, but my brain is totally full now. Glad I went, but I'm so tired!
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Someone defaced my sister's neighbours' garage with anti-Semitic graffiti.

I don't know if I mentioned it at the time, but back in February, vandals toppled gravestones in the Jewish cemetery only a mile away. All this is a neighbourhood which has had a substantial Jewish population for over a century. I'm sure there were anti-Semitic incidents in the past, but I wasn't away of any the entire time we lived nearby. And now two in the same year.

Thanks, Donald.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

linguoboy wrote:Someone defaced my sister's neighbours' garage with anti-Semitic graffiti.

I don't know if I mentioned it at the time, but back in February, vandals toppled gravestones in the Jewish cemetery only a mile away. All this is a neighbourhood which has had a substantial Jewish population for over a century. I'm sure there were anti-Semitic incidents in the past, but I wasn't away of any the entire time we lived nearby. And now two in the same year.

Thanks, Donald.
That's awful. :\ I can't help but feel like America has collectively gone completely fucking nuts since I've been gone. I realize this is probably a result of having changed to being on the outside looking in; I don't see life go on in America anymore, I just see the news highlights and stuff like this. But still.

Not a vent: I've been feeling better--some people got in touch with me and now I am basically back to my baseline of being largely happy. Thanks to everyone for the support; I didn't respond but I did read it.

My vent is this: yesterday was the eleventh consecutive day of rain. Sunday night was a very intense typhoon (which was actually pretty cool), but now...there's another typhoon en route due to hit us this weekend. It's not even typhoon season! It's too late in the year! I just want to do my goddamn laundry (which has been quite impossible) and ride my bicycle, and I'm also really worried that it's going to fuck up my trip to Mt Hiei on Monday and Tuesday; I don't know if the hiking trails will be safe, and will be pretty upset if they aren't.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Aww, sorry to hear that!
Risla wrote:I can't help but feel like America has collectively gone completely fucking nuts since I've been gone.
Yes, it has. Well, okay, it probably was all along, but I'm sure you helped us do a better job of hiding it. We miss you so bad.
Not a vent: I've been feeling better--some people got in touch with me and now I am basically back to my baseline of being largely happy. Thanks to everyone for the support; I didn't respond but I did read it.

Yay! :)

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I'm goddamn sick of the weather too. We just had two days without rain, but I had to work. I was looking forward to having today off and going outside, then I woke up to more rain - and yet the weather forecast had said it might rain for a bit. It's fucking useless if it doesn't correctly predict that it'll rain all day. Plus I've had a headache and I just had to pay my taxes (and bills), which are horrific this year - not sure why but I want to blame tokyo olympics. (Also I earned a lot of money last year and not so much this year because i don't have a "real" job). And my ear is acting up with all the sudden pressure changes, I think. Last time it felt like this was during another typhoon.

My neck has also been hurting for about three weeks, and the rain and sudden cold hasn't helped with that. Not sure what to do about that. I had a massage a couple of weeks ago, but it didn't help much, and subsequently I've been going to the local electronics stores to "try" their massage chairs, which feels nice but doesn't really leave me feeling much better overall. I think I'd have to use them consistently for several days to feel any effect. Perhaps I need a better pillow - I've tried three different pillows and a bunch of different sleeping positions. Perhaps I should go to a doctor, but I've fucking had enough of going to the doctor's this year too - and I've just lost total confidence in their ability to help me. Plus I've spent so much money... back home it'd be free (but harder to access proper care I guess).

If there's another fucking typhoon I might just give up and go back to more clement weather in fucking scotland... it's not supposed to be that way round :|

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

Yeah, I think pretty much everyone in the whole country is about ready to scream after so much rain. I had my laundry out to dry yesterday and then it started raining (unpredicted!) and I almost cried. I'd been looking forward to October, since the last two years it's had the best weather of the whole year. The fuck. Rather heightens the disappointment to have looked forward to October all summer and gotten this bullshit instead. tbh I think the fact that it's now rained for nearly two weeks straight contributed to the breakdown I had last week. I just want sunlight...

I also totally hear you on losing faith in doctors. I got really lucky in that I now have a gastroenterologist who is super amazing (to the point that I have developed a bit of a stupid crush, which is embarrassing), but I have not found a single other doctor who I have trusted to be both able and willing to help me.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

At least one of my students said he hadn't even noticed because he'd been indoors in the office all week, so I guess it could be worse. I've mainly noticed because I've not been able to cycle for almost two weeks. It's not all bad, really, after writing that I have been lounging around reading my new book and drinking hot chocolate, so I turned an originally negative day into a fairly positive one. And tomorrow I should be able to go out properly. I have to get something in the way of a hallowe'en costume or possibly two. One is rocky horror themed, the other, not sure yet. Might just raid donki. I mean I could have gone shopping today, but I didn't really want to go out in the rain much. Bleh. Just need more exercise I think.

I have enough space to just dry my stuff inside, so I haven't really had the laundry problem, but I get ya... I don't remember October being particularly much better last year, perhaps it was just more unremarkable then. I'm pleased that my birthday is usually warm here, as it's usually getting cold and wet back home. I probably prefer spring overall, though. My allergies have been acting up severely over the past few weeks as well, I think I might have the autumnal forms of hayfever that you get here (plus dust from clearing out my closet but that can't account for all of the allergies I've had). I was super disappointed by this August, though - it was really really humid but not as hot as it usually gets, so it was mould central, and I was getting a lot of headaches from the high humidity. When I went to America, I went to Memphis TN, which felt like Tokyo should. Humid but not quite as much, and actually hot. But the sun felt more scorching than it does here usually. And also, I had gotten very burned in Los Angeles – I was only there for a few hours but I massively underestimated the strength of the sun, didn't evenly apply my sunscreen, and I think I'm not generally used to dry heat. And I got sunburn on my scalp, which is either a first or a 久しぶり.

Also there's the issue of my blog that I'm starting to think about. At the very least I think I have to change the URL. It has a hidden meaning and it's really childish, and when people occasionally ask me what that seemingly-random series of letters means, I have to sheepishly admit that it's "boner" upside-down... because when I was 23 that was the height of hilarity...

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Risla wrote:I got really lucky in that I now have a gastroenterologist who is super amazing (to the point that I have developed a bit of a stupid crush, which is embarrassing)
I think that's more understandable than you might think. I didn't have any friends who would actually trust me with their honest feelings and listen to me talk about my own without judging me until almost five years ago, when I met one online. Oh, you should have seen me then! I was so happy at that point I pranced around all over the house randomly hugging doors (???), as if I'd fallen in love or something. It was a really big deal for me, and this person helped me learn things for myself I may never forget. We were best friends and even met in person twice, but our friendship actually lasted less than a year.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

linguoboy wrote:Someone defaced my sister's neighbours' garage with anti-Semitic graffiti.
Plot twist: She told me later that the neighbours in question weren't even Jewish.

She's looking into getting some anti-xenophobia signs to post around the neighbourhood. Who thought "I don't actually want you to fuck off and die" was a sentiment controversial enough to be actually worth expressing?

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

So, two men violently attack a woman with a nail-spiked club. The punishment? The attacker has to pay a fine. The court reasoned the woman was unfaithful and she deserved to be beaten (even to death) because a sacred book said so.

Is this the beginning of Shari'a?

Plot twist: no, because the book was the Bible and bad things are bad only when non-Christians do them…
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.