zompist bboard

a congress of convoluted conworldery
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:35 pm 
Šriftom
Šriftom

Welp. I just gave my notice, talked with my manager, my contracting company manager, and my team lead about leaving, and this all just happened, practically unplanned. I was never really looking to change jobs, but rather this new job just fell in my lap and I never did anything to not change jobs. But of course, this was the right job - the location is ideal, I already know the engineering manager, it gives me the opportunity to work on a new product, and it will advance my career by giving me an opportunity to work in an area which I had been unable to break into previously - at the right time, and while I was okay with my current job, I was not exactly happy with it either - it had turned into unending drudgery that was doing nothing to help my career - so I let this happen.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:53 am 
Šriftom
Šriftom

Travis B. wrote:
Welp. I just gave my notice, talked with my manager, my contracting company manager, and my team lead about leaving, and this all just happened, practically unplanned. I was never really looking to change jobs, but rather this new job just fell in my lap and I never did anything to not change jobs. But of course, this was the right job - the location is ideal, I already know the engineering manager, it gives me the opportunity to work on a new product, and it will advance my career by giving me an opportunity to work in an area which I had been unable to break into previously - at the right time, and while I was okay with my current job, I was not exactly happy with it either - it had turned into unending drudgery that was doing nothing to help my career - so I let this happen.

It's always really nice when that happens. Hope it works out well for you.

Meanwhile, I just about managed my first half-day back at my job, although I had to rest quite a bit when I got back home.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:16 pm 
Šriftom
Šriftom

alice wrote:
Travis B. wrote:

It's always really nice when that happens. Hope it works out well for you.

What had happened is that I had sufficiently impressed said engineering manager at a previous job we were both at that he had specifically asked for me to be hired for the team he is building at his current company, which really smoothed over the hiring process.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:47 pm 
Šriftom
Šriftom

Welp. My current manager gave me a counteroffer; he would see if he could break me out of my contract with my contracting firm and he would give me a open spot on GE's next generation product's team, and he would offer me the same or better than how much I am being offered already. I told him that I would go for it if he got me an employment contract in writing by Thursday next week (as Friday would be my last day otherwise).

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:50 am 
Šriftom
Šriftom

Travis B. wrote:
Welp. My current manager gave me a counteroffer; he would see if he could break me out of my contract with my contracting firm and he would give me a open spot on GE's next generation product's team, and he would offer me the same or better than how much I am being offered already. I told him that I would go for it if he got me an employment contract in writing by Thursday next week (as Friday would be my last day otherwise).

You're the subject of a bidding war. Relish the feeling!

Does GE mean General Electric?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:46 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

To update on my girlfriend issues, I left her earlier, citing the fact that I consider it a matter of principle to not hitting children.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:31 pm 
Šriftom
Šriftom

alice wrote:
Travis B. wrote:

You're the subject of a bidding war. Relish the feeling!

Well, so much for that. My contracting firm is not willing to let me out of my contract, regardless of what my manager's manager was offering them in return. My manager told me that, in 18 months, the time limit after which I am actually free of my contract, if I'm not happy with where I am working then, he would be happy to find me a job back here as a permanent employee.

alice wrote:

And yes, I do work at GE, up until next Friday.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:41 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

I have mixed feelings about the other guitarist in my band. I'm happy to have a second guitar, but... I don't think he's very good. I'm not speaking about technique: heck, I have limited technical abilities myself.

The guy is by no means a beginner: he's in his forties, and owns about thirty guitars. He doesn't like taking solos, so we have to cajole him into doing them, whenever a song needs him to play a solo. I asked him, repeatedly, to learn the main riff for two songs, so that I can play basic chords while singing: he never bothered. Fine, then, let him be a dedicated rhythm player. Which means being reliable: always playing on time, always keeping up the song structure. And yet, all too often, he changes chords at the wrong time, or fails to get into the chorus.

So, yeah: I'm happy to have him in the band, but I'm not sure he pulls his weight.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:19 am 
Šriftom
Šriftom

Travis B. wrote:
Well, so much for that. My contracting firm is not willing to let me out of my contract, regardless of what my manager's manager was offering them in return. My manager told me that, in 18 months, the time limit after which I am actually free of my contract, if I'm not happy with where I am working then, he would be happy to find me a job back here as a permanent employee.

That's a shame... still, at least you have somewhere good to go.

Travis B. wrote:
alice wrote:

And yes, I do work at GE, up until next Friday.

Ha! Me too, for the foreseeable future at least.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:52 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

jmcd wrote:
To update on my girlfriend issues, I left her earlier, citing the fact that I consider it a matter of principle to not hitting children.

...and I miss her and I regret the mistakes I made with her.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:17 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

My parents' divorce has been finalized... coincidentally (perhaps) just under three years to the day my father left my mother. In some ways, I'm relieved that it's done and over with, but it's still not pleasant. (Now to figure out how to manage trips back to the US when they're about 1200 miles apart.)

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:54 am 
Osän
Osän

Risla wrote:
finlay wrote:
jesus. well at least you've got g*** :roll:

good luck. come visit tokyo sometime :)

I am now trying to figure out what g*** is. :P

EDIT: oh doh I figured out what it is

I definitely want to visit Tokyo sometime. Probably this summer...

I'll be in the UK most of the summer. :/

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:46 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

well, maybe this fall then! I have to hit g*** hard this summer anyway (taking a fairly big financial hit from quitting the job :\)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:01 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

finlay wrote:
Risla wrote:
finlay wrote:
jesus. well at least you've got g*** :roll:

good luck. come visit tokyo sometime :)

I am now trying to figure out what g*** is. :P

EDIT: oh doh I figured out what it is

I definitely want to visit Tokyo sometime. Probably this summer...

I'll be in the UK most of the summer. :/

So will I, and mostly in Edinburgh. Do you have definite dates yet? Will you be in Edinburgh much?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:15 pm 
Šriftom
Šriftom

I'm still wondering what g*** is.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:39 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Guts?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:43 am 
Osän
Osän

The name of the company we both work for that I don't want to post online.

Yeah i'll be in edinburgh mostly, I think. I'm not decided for sure yet, will probably try to travel around a bit if I can.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:13 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

@Finlay: I'll probably be mostly in Edinburgh as well, and travelling a bit to the Highlands and Islands as well. We could maybe meet up sometime.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37