Seahorses, I Love 'Em (& other Links of Interest)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Mr. Saturday wrote:What kind of fuckwit cuts off his own thumb?
You claim to live in Texas/America and you have to ask yourself that? Most of what I hear coming out of this country makes as much sense or less than this.

(and I'm sure you know this but I do think he wasn't intending to dismember his thumb, probably ran it over with a circular saw or something similar)
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Drydic Guy wrote:(and I'm sure you know this but I do think he wasn't intending to dismember his thumb, probably ran it over with a circular saw or something similar)
No, it's not accidental, he deliberately cut off his thumb. Hopefully the thrill of feeling his brain rewire around the amputation will be worth the missing opposable digit.

(The more extreme parts of the body-mod community do some seriously, seriously bizarre shit. The thumb thing is pretty weird, but I really have seen weirder.)
Oh THAT'S why I was on hiatus. Right. Hiatus Mode re-engaged.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

ils wrote:
Drydic Guy wrote:(and I'm sure you know this but I do think he wasn't intending to dismember his thumb, probably ran it over with a circular saw or something similar)
No, it's not accidental, he deliberately cut off his thumb. Hopefully the thrill of feeling his brain rewire around the amputation will be worth the missing opposable digit.

(The more extreme parts of the body-mod community do some seriously, seriously bizarre shit. The thumb thing is pretty weird, but I really have seen weirder.)
Ah, well, in that case. The desire for new stimuli is understandable, and if that's the route he chose, then cool for him. Still gets an eyebrow raise from me tho.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Mad beatboxing skillz.

Centralia: The Mouth of Hell. The abandoned site of an underground coal fire that's been burning for 45 years and has fuel for another 250.

Crystal cave of the giants.

The Donald has some frank things to say about the Bush White House.

Mr. Saturday
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Mr. Saturday »

Drydic Guy wrote:
ils wrote:

Ah, well, in that case. The desire for new stimuli is understandable, and if that's the route he chose, then cool for him. Still gets an eyebrow raise from me tho.
Anyone who intentionally removes any part from their body should have their head removed. End of.
Roll the dice.
Every soul's got a price.

[b]Chaotic Sexy[/b]

pharazon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by pharazon »

Mr. Saturday wrote:Anyone who intentionally removes any part from their body should have their head removed. End of.
In a final irony, Mr. Saturday will die of acute appendicitis.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

As a supplement to that earlier beatboxing video, the lyrebird.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

A highly amusing collection of Turkish butchery of SF classics like Star Wars, E.T., Star Trek et cetera. Truly surreal.

frumpwallow
Sanci
Sanci

Post by frumpwallow »

thanks you, ils, that made my day. turkish star wars was brilliant.
"I want pancakes!! You people understand every language except English! Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez-moi pancakes! Click-click-bloody-click pancakes!!!"

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

frumpwallow wrote:thanks you, ils, that made my day. turkish star wars was brilliant.
Glad you liked it!

Some links for today:

Breeding flies as a global business, innovation of a Chinese graduate. And also from China, Beijing's awe-inspiring National Swim Centre being built for the '08 Olympics. Features the Watercube, quite possibly one of the neatest structures I've seen in years.

Dubai: It's Stranger Than You Think. For example, fully 85% of the city's population hails from abroad and the city is legally an extension of the City of London, ruled by English law. Also, Halliburton has just triggered a furore by moving its head offices there (in a move that sounds eerily similar to Kim Stanley Robinson's predictions for "metanationals" in the book Red Mars).

From the Extremely Bad Luck department: a man gives a false name at a traffic stop... only to discover it's the actual name of a wanted criminal.

Also, some kulchah: the steady decline of superhero comics becomes impossible to ignore. Bets as to what will take their place?

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Here's an entertaining one: The Best (Worst) Fantasy & Science Fiction Covers. Includes the covers of such classic novels as Retief of the Cdt and Servants of the Wankh. (That last is a Jack Vance title, BTW. Jack f-ing Vance got away with calling a book Servants of the Wankh.)

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Amazing feature: The Ten Most Magnificent Trees in the World. So cool I'm renaming the thread in its honour.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

The Iraq War's architects: Where Are They Now?

Raphael
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Raphael »

ils wrote:The Iraq War's architects: Where Are They Now?
I like "President Bush understands that the need to disarm Saddam Hussein is necessary."
did you send enough shit to guarantee victory?

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Everything's just better in Bollywood... including superheroes and cricket balls.

(EDIT: Oh, and My Black Friend is hysterical.)

bi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by bi »

Servator_Mundi will like this. Via Mike Huben, a discussion on libertarianism on Pandagon. (Warning: Contains maximum hilarity. Avoid taking with coffee.)
[img]http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/9899/t4nu8.gif[/img]

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

For added fun-with-libertarians, see this aleady-infamous thread on Unqualified Offerings.

NB: UO is a blog run by Jim Henley, one of the sanest and most rational libertarians out there and a guy who's won respect across the political spectrum from his readers. But the post is by a guest blogger named Mona, who is shall we say of a different school. She tries to start an intellectual discussion of Lincoln's legacy based on the work of libertarian crank historian Thomas DiLorenzo and the portrayal of the civil war in Gangs of New York. It just goes downhill from there. See especially the weird digressions on gangrene.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Merrill Howard Kalin teaches us how not to cook or do impressions, John Kilduff shows us how to paint, exercise, blend drinks and run a talk show simultaneously, and this guy shows us how not to spread the Good Word. (Via a feature on "Craziest Public Access Television Moments.")

Also, squirrels as a form of currency.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

ils wrote:A highly amusing collection of Turkish butchery of SF classics like Star Wars, E.T., Star Trek et cetera. Truly surreal.
What the hell? It's just scenes from Star War interspliced with a sequence of a jumping man kicking ass to the Indiana Jones theme...

Is this how they make movies in Turkey?

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Xephyr wrote:
ils wrote:A highly amusing collection of Turkish butchery of SF classics like Star Wars, E.T., Star Trek et cetera. Truly surreal.
What the hell? It's just scenes from Star War interspliced with a sequence of a jumping man kicking ass to the Indiana Jones theme...

Is this how they make movies in Turkey?
What I love is that they didn't even bother to tie it in, and that they have him kicking the stuffing out of guys in cheap mascot suits. I figure he must have been some kind of semi-famous wrestler in Turkey at the time, and someone cut him in to promote himself on the back of the bootlegging deal.

I'm sure they have a legit film industry in Turkey. Whether it produces anything nearly as entertaining as that, I'm less sure.

bi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by bi »

And apparently Wikipedia's "Essjay" saga isn't done boiling over yet. Larry Sanger, in a fit of disgruntledness, created this.

Oh, and the squirrels one rocks. Which makes me wonder, can a man buy some good sex by selling the rights to his conlangs?
[img]http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/9899/t4nu8.gif[/img]

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

bi wrote:Which makes me wonder, can a man buy some good sex by selling the rights to his conlangs?
Long as you sweeten the pot with some possums, maybe. :mrgreen:

FFF
Sanci
Sanci

Post by FFF »

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZNdYhIr ... ed&search=

Here's one that's worse, from 70's or 80's-era Estonia. The product in itself looks nasty--some kind of processed chicken meat--but the ad...oh god.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

...or the Best Commercial Ever, depending on what you're looking for. I love that guy.

US Army recruiters being the best they can be. Meanwhile, and more importantly, this story illustrates why tyranny isn't something that "could happen" in Dubya's America; it's something that already has.

But let's not think about that. Instead, I give you the deadly eye-rays of Masha Tyelna, and assorted other distractions:

The Scratchophone, portable turntables! "A dream to some, a nightmare to others," as a guy playing Merlin said in some movie once. Welcome to the next level.

Nature, cute in bill and fin: a baby duck feeds some carp.

(The above via Neatorama, which also has a feature on ten sports they don't teach you in gym. Check out in particular the spectacular video footage of sepak takraw, Malaysia's national sport and a way cooler game than volleyball.)