Seahorses, I Love 'Em (& other Links of Interest)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
¡Papapishu!
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ¡Papapishu! »

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

I would really, really love to know what's going on here. (Probably NSFW.)
Oh THAT'S why I was on hiatus. Right. Hiatus Mode re-engaged.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Well, the title of the clip is "A flying prick at the Kasparov conference", Kasparov being Garry Kasparov, the chess champion who is trying to organize opposition to Putin/Medvedev. The lead comment is something like, "I am crying, simply, with hot{?} tears", i.e. tears of laughter. Some of the comments are to the effect that Kasparov should stick to playing chess and not meddle in politics, or if he wants to get involved in politics, he should go back to his real homeland, Azerbaijan. There is also a play on words involving some saying of Kasparov's: "Power showed its own face", turning it to "Power showed its own prick".

So I would guess it's a political dirty trick.

Mecislau will have to give you the full translation. I didn't listen to the video.

Pekka
Niš
Niš

Post by Pekka »

Here's the flying dong on Metafilter. Some reading for you who can't wait for the translation.

http://www.metafilter.com/71788/Griefin ... First-Life

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

And the Moscow Times says the flying dildo was the work of Young Russia activists. I'm glad to live in a country with mostly dull politics, but we do miss out on the fun stuff like this.

The Kama Sutra for computer techs.

Hillary Rodham Clinton's Campaign: What Went Wrong? From the point of view of anonymous members of her staff.

Obey the Shih Tzu! Resistance is futile!

We now sell Milk Juice.

The World's Most Worthless Money. Note in particular the story behind Guinea's currency.

Portents of the China quake? Strange weather phenomena, a plague of fleeing toads, a disappearing pond in Enshi (top picture).

"A Genetic Gastric Bypass," the genome of the platypus.

Wycoval
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Wycoval »

ils wrote:Note in particular the story behind Guinea's currency.
I've never seen a 10,000 GF note before. When I was there in 1990 the largest note was 5,000 GF which would buy you a trip in a bush taxi from Gueckedou to Conakry - about 500 miles.

The exchange rate was about $1.00 / 1,000 GF.
[size=200]☧[/size]

Nesescosac
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nesescosac »

I have a Zimbabwe 5 cent coin - it must be worth nothing now.

Now the Guinean franc exchange rate is 4.5 thousand GNF for 1 USD. My 600 franc is not worth much anymore.

When did you go?
I did have a bizarrely similar (to the original poster's) accident about four years ago, in which I slipped over a cookie and somehow twisted my ankle so far that it broke
What kind of cookie?
Aeetlrcreejl > Kicgan Vekei > me /ne.ses.tso.sats/

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

What to name your baby, and what names have been popular over the past century.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Tales of border brilliance from around the world. I'm particularly fond of the golf course that spans a national border.

Isn't it rather quaint that, until not that long ago, these traits were all widely believed to be "uniquely" human?

Bizarreness from Vancouver: right feet keep washing ashore, now four in all.

Italian Spider-man! A trailer and a webisode! I think this is a student film masquerading as weird Seventies kitsch, but whatever the case, it's awesome.

The "Damn right your dad drank it" ad campaign from Canadian Club is amusing, in a crass sort of way. (My dad was a teetotaller, but whatever.) More amusing, though, is the counter-campaign it's inspired online. The feminist blogosphere is forever being "outraged!" by this or that ad campaign with weary predictability, but this time the outrage has produced some truly brilliant parodies of the source material.

You can download a great PDF of an illustrated (in-progress) version of Lewis Carroll's The Hunting of the Snark here. Highly recommended.

gsandi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by gsandi »

ils wrote:Tales of border brilliance from around the world. I'm particularly fond of the golf course that spans a national border.
Lots of border oddities around where I live, just a few hundred metres from the French-Swiss border. In fact, I know where the binational hotel is in St Cure - it's high up in the Jura mountains, and right on a picturesque Sunday drive.

Near us is a small area which is in France but used to be in Switzerland. The people living there pay Swiss taxes and have Swiss licence plates on their cars.

The reason is that when Geneva airport had to be expanded in the 1960s, there was no space left around it in Switzerland, so Switzerland and France came to a land-swap agreement - for every sq.m. gained by Switzerland in the airport area, 1 sq.m. was transferred to France elsewhere. But if people already lived in the transferred land, they were allowed to keep their Swiss resident privileges.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Eccentric Iconoclast wrote:The twenty funniest newspaper headlines.
I love "One-armed man applauds." Very Zen.

Delthayre
Lebom
Lebom

The Miss South Carolina of talk radio

Post by Delthayre »

"Great men are almost always bad men."
~Lord John Dalberg Acton

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Something surprisingly of interest to both Io and Mecislau, but for completely different reasons.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Some music and performance links:

Beautiful and haunting recitation of the Qur'an by a kid who looks to be about ten or eleven. (There's a passle of related videos featuring child religious/artistic prodigies that you shouldn't miss, like this, this, and this.)

Amusing little ditties like Tom Cruise Crazy, Anyone Else But You, MyHope, and my personal fave, Toxic, played on ukulele by the adorable SweetAfton23 on YouTube.

Stravinsky conducting.

langover94
Sanci
Sanci

Post by langover94 »

Beautiful and haunting recitation of the Qur'an by a kid who looks to be about ten or eleven.
Absolutely wonderful. He has an awesome voice.
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."

Economic Left/Right: -4.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.87

Raphael
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Raphael »

did you send enough shit to guarantee victory?

Nesescosac
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nesescosac »

I did have a bizarrely similar (to the original poster's) accident about four years ago, in which I slipped over a cookie and somehow twisted my ankle so far that it broke
What kind of cookie?
Aeetlrcreejl > Kicgan Vekei > me /ne.ses.tso.sats/

langover94
Sanci
Sanci

Post by langover94 »

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."

Economic Left/Right: -4.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.87

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

The International Privacy Rankings of 2007, surveying surveillance societies among the world's most powerful countries.

The story of the not-so-lost Amazonian tribe whose pictures riveted the world for a few minutes a couple of weeks ago. It was, apparently, a publicity stunt meant to call attention to cultures threatened by logging. A pretty good one, too.

I'm sure this must have been a Ripley's Believe It Or Not spot at some point: the story of the 256-year-old man.

Vintage African hairstyles.

Andrew Bush's Vector portraits, some fascinating shots of people in motion.

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

The Amazon lost tribe story certainly caught the media's attention over here. We're now having a fairly quiet time for news this week, but this one caught my eye:

Spanish Parliament approves human rights for apes.

Another eye-catching headline with a real story behind it. If it's just the right to life and freedom that sounds good to me.

There may be other good news on the environment front, too, as it appears the oceans can act as a sink, destroying greenhouse gases. (There's one or two riders to this though, as the scientists point out.

pharazon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by pharazon »

Ketumak wrote:The Amazon lost tribe story certainly caught the media's attention over here. We're now having a fairly quiet time for news this week, but this one caught my eye:

Another eye-catching headline with a real story behind it. If it's just the right to life and freedom that sounds good to me.
Using apes in circuses, television commercials or filming will also be banned
Not appearing in commercials is a "human right"?

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

pharazon wrote:
Ketumak wrote:The Amazon lost tribe story certainly caught the media's attention over here. We're now having a fairly quiet time for news this week, but this one caught my eye:

Using apes in circuses, television commercials or filming will also be banned
Not appearing in commercials is a "human right"?
The question of humanity, obviously, is a huge issue in philosophy. Most people spend a great deal of time talking about whether humanity is inherent or based on rationality, and if the latter, whether the rationality must be manifested or merely potential (e.g. in children).

I think the most sensible thing would be to classify apes as "non rational persons," like children, coma patients, or the mentally disabled. They would need guardians, and could be coerced to do things without input (parents often force their children to appear in commercials too), but they would have the same basic rights as non-rational humans, i.e. the right to not be killed, to not be physically or mentally traumatized, etc. I'm not sure if the Spanish law approaches the problem from this angle, though.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

It may not be a human right, but it is now officially a simian right. (Or pongid right.)

Tarasoriku
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Tarasoriku »

brandrinn wrote:The question of humanity, obviously, is a huge issue in philosophy. Most people spend a great deal of time talking about whether humanity is inherent or based on rationality, and if the latter, whether the rationality must be manifested or merely potential (e.g. in children).
Personally, I'm of the opinion if it isn't capable of language, you can eat it. I haven't decided whether to make a distinction between combinatorial/non-combinatorial. But I don't see why the latter should have the same rights as the former.

If apes acquire any 'right', all syntaxless creatures should, too (that still have lexical comprehension, limited as it is). That should encompass some non-ape primates, as well as most species of parrot. There are probably others that are untestable (whales, dolphins).

OTOH, what's the point? It's already prohibited to hunt any of these animals - the law can't have been put in place for the 'commercial' bit alone, so I assume it was all just making a statement.

Logically, for a species to have rights shouldn't it have to be capable of defending those rights? (Obviously barring immaturity or a deformity).
[quote="Pthug"]oh shit you just called black people in britain "african-americans"
my
god[/quote]