Seahorses, I Love 'Em (& other Links of Interest)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
langover94
Sanci
Sanci

Post by langover94 »

Eccentric Iconoclast wrote:Blow up the beached dead whale!
Raining whale chunks... Not the most pleasant thing in the world.
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."

Economic Left/Right: -4.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.87

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

"Maya Angelou" reads from CraigsList. Priceless.

Send Barack Your Baby.

If Your Last Girlfriend Had an ImDB page. Some funny like Cracked used to make before they became obsessed with endless Lists of Things.

The French are apparently poised to dethrone Americans as the Western wold's most obnoxious tourists.

More seriously: Atheist American soldier sues the DoD.
Oh THAT'S why I was on hiatus. Right. Hiatus Mode re-engaged.

Tarasoriku
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Tarasoriku »

[quote="Pthug"]oh shit you just called black people in britain "african-americans"
my
god[/quote]

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

ils wrote:More seriously: Atheist American soldier sues the DoD.
I am wondering if this is also the case in the Canadian army.

Still, a few things I read in that article made me feel unconfortable.
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

Raphael
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Raphael »

did you send enough shit to guarantee victory?

Tarasoriku
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Tarasoriku »

A very interesting conversation between two self-righteous Iranian women - a driver and a prostitute. Especially interesting social observations from the pro in the second part IMO.

Part 1
Part 2
[quote="Pthug"]oh shit you just called black people in britain "african-americans"
my
god[/quote]

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Terran flying saucers one day? So dreams a scientist hailing from Florida :
http://news.ufl.edu/2008/06/11/flying-saucer/

This would be great :)
- Daneydzaus

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Rain of Madness, a mockumentary about the making of the movie-within-the-forthcoming-movie Tropic Thunder. Looks like they've got an all-star cast, including Ben Stiller, Steve Coogan, Nick Nolte, Jack Black and more.

What became of the Star Wars cast, for those who care.

How did the Romans conquer the world? Easy. They rolled twenties.

When you think India, think automotive safety.

"No Don Quixote" traffic sign.
Oh THAT'S why I was on hiatus. Right. Hiatus Mode re-engaged.

Terra
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Terra »

http://nekogames.jp/mt/2008/01/cursor10.html

A most innovative game which I just realized after 6 months would make a good interesting links entry.

EDIT: Ok, who put this on digg?
http://digg.com/playable_web_games/Curs ... e_Web_Game
Last edited by Terra on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

FinalZero wrote:http://nekogames.jp/mt/2008/01/cursor10.html

A most innovative game which I just realized after 6 months would make a good interesting links entry.
It's like help yourself! :P
- Daneydzaus

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Probably the creepiest song ever to make the top 40. But it might have been #1 in some of your conworlds.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Shm Jay wrote:Probably the creepiest song ever to make the top 40. But it might have been #1 in some of your conworlds.
You can say that again.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

Shm Jay wrote:Probably the creepiest song ever to make the top 40. But it might have been #1 in some of your conworlds.
So THAT's where that keyboard riff comes from. That thing's been sampled a billion times.

M
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

Raphael
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Raphael »

The latest in expensive upscale cosmetics: Get slowly eaten by tiny fish. Just in case you've always wanted to know what it feels like to be the big animal in one of those cleansing-for-food symbiotic relationships you've seen on TV.
did you send enough shit to guarantee victory?

ketske
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ketske »

A game which may or may not entertain:
http://www.addictinggames.com/pandemic2.html
[img]http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/political-pictures-barack-obama-beliefs-believe-sign.jpg[/img]

langover94
Sanci
Sanci

Post by langover94 »

Raphael wrote:The latest in expensive upscale cosmetics: Get slowly eaten by tiny fish. Just in case you've always wanted to know what it feels like to be the big animal in one of those cleansing-for-food symbiotic relationships you've seen on TV.
They showed this treatment on "I Survived A Japanese Game Show" :P.
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."

Economic Left/Right: -4.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.87

krinnen
Lebom
Lebom

Post by krinnen »

ketske wrote:A game which may or may not entertain:
Apparently, they only way of wining is starting in Madagascar, since spreading by boat is so damn hard.... :( I played 4 times and never infected madagascar.
Laurie Anderson wrote:Writing about music is like dancing about architecture

LinguistCat
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by LinguistCat »

krinnen wrote:
ketske wrote:A game which may or may not entertain:
Apparently, they only way of wining is starting in Madagascar, since spreading by boat is so damn hard.... :( I played 4 times and never infected madagascar.
I started in Madagascar and never left...
The stars are an ocean. Your breasts, are also an ocean.

Kolya
Niš
Niš

Post by Kolya »

It's all about invisibility, and luck. After playing for five hours I won what was my third try through. I might try again for a faster takedown as it took me over 250 days to destroy humanity, I'm sure I can do it faster.
[quote="aardwolf"]
I'd lay off words like "exude" and "aura" (especially in the same sentence) in order to +1 your machoness.[/quote]

krinnen
Lebom
Lebom

Post by krinnen »

Kolya wrote:It's all about invisibility, and luck. After playing for five hours I won what was my third try through. I might try again for a faster takedown as it took me over 250 days to destroy humanity, I'm sure I can do it faster.
Would you give me some details? Which traits did you choose and in which order?

EDIT: I just had my random start loc at madagascar. Let's see how this goes....

krinnen
Lebom
Lebom

Post by krinnen »

Weird. East Europe closed its borders, shipyards and airports early on, and remained uninfected until I lost. Damn.

Tarasoriku
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Tarasoriku »

Why does the world have a bajillion people? Also interested in what 'a good order' is. After three tries the most damage I've done is wipe out 4 regions.
my
god[/quote]

krinnen
Lebom
Lebom

Post by krinnen »

Tarasoriku wrote:Why does the world have a bajillion people? Also interested in what 'a good order' is. After three tries the most damage I've done is wipe out 4 regions.
The guide says it's all about strategy and luck. I'm inclined to say that it's actually lots of luck and little strategy. I've wiped out the whole world except one island (one time Cuba, one time New Zeland and two times Madagascar), by generating a parasite with high resistance that produces heart and kidney failures.

The problem, imho, is reaching every region before they shut down airports, borders and ports

ketske
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ketske »

I got it really easily on my first try with a bacteria with no symptoms except sneezing, all the methods of transmission, and resistances. I also happened to start in New Zealand, which is, I think, why I managed to get the islandy-places earlier.

All my tries after that, I lost because of Madagascar.

I think that it's unrealistically hard to spread the virus. It should be EASIEST to spread by plane and boat. One infected person on a plane or boat, with a highly transmissible disease, would infect the ENTIRE plane. The rate of infection should be exponential, but it seems like it's a linear thing. If your linear rate is 30 people per day, then each of those thirty people should infect another 30 people per day, but it doesn't seem that way. Once it gets big enough to leave the country, it spreads unbelievably fast though.

Edit: I started a new game just now, called the disease, a virus, "Zeebibitis" and started in New Zealand.
[img]http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/political-pictures-barack-obama-beliefs-believe-sign.jpg[/img]

Kolya
Niš
Niš

Post by Kolya »

krinnen wrote:
Kolya wrote:It's all about invisibility, and luck. After playing for five hours I won what was my third try through. I might try again for a faster takedown as it took me over 250 days to destroy humanity, I'm sure I can do it faster.
Would you give me some details? Which traits did you choose and in which order?
I started in Greenland, I had a bacteria. I sold the initial symptom and started buying the heat, moisture, and drug resistances, then I bought the cold resistances and the transmission methods. I stayed small in the original place but managed to get a small foothold in other regions (I had infected persons in 18 of the 21 regions with fewer than 1000 people infected worldwide). The last region to become infected was madagascar. Once all regions were infected I bought a few symptoms that increase the rate of infection. Because I had the drug resistance iv the vaccine had a long time before completion, and then the hospitals started closing. Eventually I had infected the entire planet (every last individual, hoorah!) and so then I bought symptoms that increase fatality (I had infected the entire planet without even a single death). I bought Necrosis and in a day half a billion people had died.
I have yet to duplicate it though.

@tarasoriku: bajillion? how are you reading that number? I read the total world population as being 6.3 billion people.
[quote="aardwolf"]
I'd lay off words like "exude" and "aura" (especially in the same sentence) in order to +1 your machoness.[/quote]