The Official ZBB Quote Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Lleu
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lleu »

Tarasoriku wrote:Oh and I'm apparently much more ignorant of the Carribbean than I thought, alarmingly so. If I can use 'alarmingly' and the Carribean in the same sentence.
agus tha mo chluasan eòlach air a’ mhac-talla fhathast / às dèidh dhomh dùsgadh
(mona nicleòid wagner, “fo shneachd”)

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Kuro no Mori wrote:Why would they go eagerly if all they knew about vaginas was that they ate things??

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

hwhatting wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:No, bricka comes from Swedish where it means tray.
But only at IKEA.
Everyone knows about Hungarian dictionaries, but let me tell you a secret - all Swedish dictionaries are fakes.
The only reliable source for Swedish is the IKEA catalogue.
And OMG, this must be Kabbala or something:
dinnae wrote:
Radagast wrote:It is surely a sign that the [lQrd]'s chosen people are the Danes - since he prefers the pronunciation [lQrd] over [lord] which in Danish means "shit".
That's almost bizarre; in Dutch, drol (so, lord backwards, in spelling at least) means turd.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bulbaquil
Lebom
Lebom

Post by bulbaquil »

TomHChappell wrote:
in the [url=http://www.spinnoff.com/zbb/viewtopic.php?p=637008&highlight=dechticaetiative#637008]Pronunciation of 'rhotic'[/url] thread, bulbaquil wrote:rhotic: ["r\Vu.41k]
dechticaetiative: [D@ bIg l_GQN di: wr\=d]
affricate: ["{f.r\I.k@t]
alveolar: ["{5.vi.%Vu.l_Gr\=]
marathon: ["mE.r\@.TQn]
Leviathan: [l_G@."vAi.@.Tn=]
deixis: [dEi.Ik.s@s]
prefaces: [p_hr\E.f@.s@z]
ephemera: [@."fI.mr\=.@]
chaotic: [k_hEi.Q.41k]
liaison: [l_Gi."Ei.zQn]
All of that deserves quoting?
MI DRALAS, KHARULE MEVO STANI?!

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

bulbaquil wrote:All of that deserves quoting?
Twice, apparently.

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

bulbaquil wrote:
TomHChappell wrote:
in the [url=http://www.spinnoff.com/zbb/viewtopic.php?p=637008&highlight=dechticaetiative#637008]Pronunciation of 'rhotic'[/url] thread, bulbaquil wrote:rhotic: ["r\Vu.41k]
dechticaetiative: [D@ bIg l_GQN di: wr\=d]
affricate: ["{f.r\I.k@t]
alveolar: ["{5.vi.%Vu.l_Gr\=]
marathon: ["mE.r\@.TQn]
Leviathan: [l_G@."vAi.@.Tn=]
deixis: [dEi.Ik.s@s]
prefaces: [p_hr\E.f@.s@z]
ephemera: [@."fI.mr\=.@]
chaotic: [k_hEi.Q.41k]
liaison: [l_Gi."Ei.zQn]
All of that deserves quoting?
It is funny, though, and the size of the context makes it funnier.
< Cev> My people we use cars. I come from a very proud car culture-- every part of the car is used, nothing goes to waste. When my people first saw the car, generations ago, we called it šuŋka wakaŋ-- meaning "automated mobile".

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Drydic Guy wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:Where do they do this? Near the arctic? How do they keep such cables protected from creatures and underwater activity?
THIS JUST IN

TELEGRAPH LINE RAN ACROSS ENTIRE ATLANTIC

WHAT MARVELS WILL AWAIT US IN THE NEXT YEAR OF 1867
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Xephyr wrote:I'd hate to think that it's like this on other topical message boards:

GEOLOGY FORUM

Post: I heard that the upcoming new Dean Koontz novel will feature hills. No word yet on how accurate the depictions are.

Reply: Omg, this is so awesome, I can't wait to read it. I hope the hills and rocks in it are portrayed realistically, and aren't just vendor-bin trash.

Reply: Don't get your hopes up-- the hills aren't an essential element of the plot or anything. He just threw a couple hills in around in a few chapters as scenery, instead of researching and developing naturalistic hills like he should have.

Reply: I've been working on my own novel that is about hills.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Drydic Guy wrote:It's probably a good thing that Steve Irwin's not around to see that.

"CRIKEY! There's LOADS of traffic through there! Let's go and try and get some more sightings!"

--five seconds later--

"AMAZING! There's a mother bear with two cubs! Let's try and get a picture of one of the cubs with the towel! CRIKEY! She looks mad!"

(props to Ils)
boy #12 wrote:
Xephyr wrote:Alot of times in the mornings when I wake up I have a conlang idea, and it won't go away for a good half hour or so. Also during high school when we went on early-morning bus trips I would get conlang ideas, which could be really awkward but thankfully the idea went away before we got to wherever we were going. The most awkward time I've ever had a conlang idea, though, was when I was in 8th grade and I had been thinking about conlangs for a couple minutes, so I had gotten a conlang idea, when the teacher asked me to stand up and answer a question. I don't think I've ever been so embarassed in my life.
Best thing is to think about some really boring natlang, like French or Spanish or something until the idea goes away. Or, if you're truly in desperation, hit the bathroom and work through the idea in the privacy of a toilet stall...
Xephyr wrote:
psygnisfive wrote:Also, who the fuck wants these ideas to GO AWAY? I'm usually hoping they stay around long enough for me to write them down. And I keep a notebook with me all the time for just such a situation.
If conlang ideas persist for more than 5 hours, you should consult your linguist.
My most recent quiz:

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

From the Incident at the LHC-thread:
flicky1991 wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:A helium leakage? That doesn't sound that dangerous...
What if the emergency controls are voice operated? :D
My most recent quiz:

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

On '[url=http://www.spinnoff.com/zbb/viewtopic.php?t=29157&highlight=]Shm Jays Craziest Idea Yet![/url]', Yiuel wrote:
Kuro no Mori wrote:Watch out for those anal ejectives. :P
Aren't anal plosives worse? Or perhaps anal liquids...

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

schwhatever wrote:
By the way, I think everything points to the possibility that the Antichrist should be European and I may rely on the fact that the Bible does never mention the whole American Continent as an important place where those ominous events would take place. Even so people in the USA should think that Bush, McCain and / or Obama might be their local minor antichrists that may lead their economy to total chaos.
Or you could stop interpreting everything through the thin spyhole of Christian eschatology. Y'know.

Lleu
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lleu »

finlay wrote:It's a czech conspiracy.

Writing ":rh:ch:sh" at the end of your posts is actually a secret salute and calls dreadful powers to your disposal.
agus tha mo chluasan eòlach air a’ mhac-talla fhathast / às dèidh dhomh dùsgadh
(mona nicleòid wagner, “fo shneachd”)

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Shall we try it?

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarasoriku
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Tarasoriku »

Xephyr wrote:My dialect has no word for the number between three and five. It's frustrating as hell.
[quote="Pthug"]oh shit you just called black people in britain "african-americans"
my
god[/quote]

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

My sig.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

it's considered bad practise to write "my sig" in this topic because you'll probably change it at some point and then people won't know what you're referring to.

cf. Tarasoriku's post.

LinguistCat
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by LinguistCat »

finlay wrote:it's considered bad practise to write "my sig" in this topic because you'll probably change it at some point and then people won't know what you're referring to.

cf. Tarasoriku's post.
Then again, unless they do it in the near future, does it really matter? How many people actually come on here and say, "OMG I need to read the quote thread in its entirety RIGHT now."?
The stars are an ocean. Your breasts, are also an ocean.

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

But we need to keep track of who was funny, and when, to be able to show that the community is not as nerdy as it seems at first sight

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

vampyre_smiles wrote:
finlay wrote:it's considered bad practise to write "my sig" in this topic because you'll probably change it at some point and then people won't know what you're referring to.

cf. Tarasoriku's post.
Then again, unless they do it in the near future, does it really matter? How many people actually come on here and say, "OMG I need to read the quote thread in its entirety RIGHT now."?
Uh, what's the rightnowness of a compulsion have to do with that? On occasion, I have read through some old parts of this thread, and some similar lacunas are v. annoying, and if it's not edited properly now, the person posting it is likely to forget about editing it when he changes his sig. So there.
< Cev> My people we use cars. I come from a very proud car culture-- every part of the car is used, nothing goes to waste. When my people first saw the car, generations ago, we called it šuŋka wakaŋ-- meaning "automated mobile".