Seahorses, I Love 'Em (& other Links of Interest)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

More fun to do the Wallacesterizing thing if you show your work:

0. John and Marie were watching a movie. John wanted to kiss Marie. He took a bite of popcorn instead.

1. John felt an urge to kiss Marie, but he took a bite of popcorn instead and went on watching the movie.

2. As the roar of thunder shook the theatre, John felt an urge to kiss Marie, but he took a bite of popcorn instead and went on watching the movie.

3. As the roar of thunder shook the theatre -- George Clooney and his fishermen were on a collision course with destiny -- John felt an urge to kiss Marie, but he took a bite of popcorn instead and went on watching the movie.

4. As the roar of thunder shook the theatre -- George Clooney and his fishermen were on a collision course with destiny -- John felt an urge to kiss Marie, but he took a bite of popcorn instead and went on watching the movie, butter slick against fingers, heart hammering.

5. As the roar of ocean and thunder shook the theatre -- George Clooney and his fishermen were on a collision course with destiny, with oblivion -- John felt an urge to kiss Marie, but he took a bite of salt and popcorn instead and went on watching the movie, butter slick against fingers, heart hammering.

6. As the digitally-mastered roar of ocean and thunder shook the little Chinatown theatre -- George Clooney and his rough-hewn Gloucesterite fishermen were on a collision course with destiny, with oblivion -- John felt an almost tidal urge to kiss the gloss-lipped Marie, but he took a ruminating little bite of salt and popcorn instead and went on watching the movie, lukewarm butter slick against cold fingers, heart hammering.

7. As the digitally-mastered roar of ocean and thunder shook the little Chinatown theatre furiously -- George Clooney and his rough-hewn Gloucesterite fishermen were on a collision course with destiny, with oblivion -- John felt an almost tidal urge to kiss the gloss-lipped Marie, but he took a ruminating little bite of salt and popcorn instead and went on apprehensively watching the movie, lukewarm butter slick against cold fingers, heart hammering.

8. As the digitally-mastered roar of thunderous oceanic Pandemonium shook every seat in the little Chinatown cinema furiously -- George Clooney and his rough-hewn Gloucesterite fishermen were on a collision course with oblivion, with the uncharted fathoms of their destinies -- John felt possessed from the creased crotch of his slacks to the crown of his head by an almost tidal urge to kiss the gloss-lipped Marie, but he took a ruminating little bite of salt and popcorn instead and went on apprehensively watching the apotheosis of disaster film, lukewarm butter slick against his curved, cold fingers, heart hammering.

9. As the digitally-mastered roar of thunderous oceanic Pandemonium shook every seat in the little Chinatown cinema furiously -- George Clooney and his rough-hewn Gloucesterite fishermen were on a collision course with oblivion, with the uncharted fathoms of their destinies -- John felt possessed from the creased crotch of his Dockers to the crown of his head by an almost tidal urge to osculate Marie's Revlon-glossed lips, but he took a ruminating little bite of salt and Orville Redenbacher's instead and went on apprehensively watching the apotheosis of disaster film, lukewarm butter slick against the curvature of his cold digits, heart hammering.
Oh THAT'S why I was on hiatus. Right. Hiatus Mode re-engaged.

Delthayre
Lebom
Lebom

The appreciation that isn't appreciating

Post by Delthayre »

Celebrity English is an amusing weblog; this is foremost because of the dry, deadpan way that it is written. I don't know whether the author writes things such as, "Gisele has correctly used a possessive pronoun with a gerund." while wearing a straight face, but it's wonderful either way.
Shm Jay wrote:This is why Americans are so fat. Honestly, who can eat this stuff? It makes me want to barf.
That website makes me feel uncomfortable about the fact that internet access is increasing in Africa. It also makes me feel as though I should eat a salad.

I need to look at something wholesome and good...

That's... sort of better...
"Great men are almost always bad men."
~Lord John Dalberg Acton

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Jesus and the Dinosaurs (looks like a nice name for a rock band, btw) - is that serious or is that book page a parody (I mean, the coloring proposals really look like it's a parody)?

Wycoval
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Wycoval »

Obviously a parody. Everybody knows that Jesus' hair was black.
[size=200]☧[/size]

Wycoval
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Wycoval »

[size=200]☧[/size]

Delthayre
Lebom
Lebom

The amazing communist!

Post by Delthayre »

Wycoval wrote:Disco Stalin vs. The Martians!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAfsSA6_ ... r_embedded
Is there any that Stalin can't handle?
~Lord John Dalberg Acton

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Here's an interesting little list.
[EDIT]
Best of all? Super 3D Noah's Ark. Not only is it a Christian video game, it was also the only commerical SNES game not sanctioned by Nintendo, and it's a first-person shooter game aimed at younger children.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Sita Sings the Blues is brilliant, I love it.

Ladies and gentlemen, the YouTube Symphony Orchestra.

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

ils wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, the YouTube Symphony Orchestra.
omigod!
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

Wycoval
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Wycoval »

I wonder what their children will look like ...

Growing numbers of people marrying inanimate objects.
[size=200]☧[/size]

Delthayre
Lebom
Lebom

Not as good as initially hoped

Post by Delthayre »

Wycoval wrote:I wonder what their children will look like ...

Growing numbers of people marrying inanimate objects.
This is how the rise of the Cyborg overlords will begin. One day some weirdo marries a fire hydrant, the next day Wisconsin is overrun by half-human, half-machines toddlers wielding high pressure water cannons.
~Lord John Dalberg Acton

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

<King> Ivo, you phrase things in the most comedic manner

[quote="Jal"][quote="jme"]Thats just rude and unneeded.[/quote]That sums up Io, basically. Yet, we all love him.[/quote]

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

Is thisthe strangest law suit ever? - asks Yahoo! News. It's about a man who pays a neighbour to impregnate his wife - and it gets stranger ...

Wycoval
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Wycoval »

Ketumak wrote:Is thisthe strangest law suit ever? - asks Yahoo! News. It's about a man who pays a neighbour to impregnate his wife - and it gets stranger ...
Boy, that IS weird. Why would anyone name their daughter after a fish?
[size=200]☧[/size]

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Wycoval wrote: Boy, that IS weird. Why would anyone name their daughter after a fish?
What fish? Traute is a usual if somewhat old-fashioned female first name in Germany.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

What fish? Traute is a usual if somewhat old-fashioned female first name in Germany.
Does it mean "trout" or is that just a false cognate going on?
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Getting paid to bang the bejeezus of your neighbour's ex-beauty queen wife is a pretty sweet deal, I can see why Maus went for it. I don't understand why people in situations like that don't try artificial insemination, maybe they were looking for a pretext for swinging?

This is a fun toy.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Eddy wrote:
Traute, like Traude, Trude is a short form of the name Gertraud / Gertrud, containing the elements ger "spear" and tr(a)ud/t "strength, power". This second element also shows up in the names Waltraud, Edeltraud; most of these are names whose bearers you'd expect to be at least middle aged. The element traud doesn't exist as an independent noun in Modern German any more. AFAIK, it has nothing to do with English trout.

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

I wondered if Traute meant trout - but didn't have the German to comment on it myself. I was struck by the fact that the story had everything: sadness, humour, conflict, etc., etc.

That toy ils is pointed us to is probably the most advanced generator, I've ever seen. I must have a proper go with it. Worth notifying The Generator Blog if they haven't covered it already.

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

<King> Ivo, you phrase things in the most comedic manner

[quote="Jal"][quote="jme"]Thats just rude and unneeded.[/quote]That sums up Io, basically. Yet, we all love him.[/quote]

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Perhaps I ought to provide the Xtranormal link with a bit more fanfare. It's a text-to-movie generator, quite easy to use, that can be used to produce:

Waiting for Godot parodies, or

DAS EFX videos, or

The obligatory Mac-PC commercial parodies, or

whatever else takes your fancy. It's quite addictive, really.

Due props also should be given to The Random Wodehouse Quote Generator that Wycoval linked in Ephemera.

Terra
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Terra »

"Trout" is actually a word of Romance origins.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?sea ... hmode=none

Pekka
Niš
Niš

Post by Pekka »

The Worm Within

http://www.fray.com/drugs/worm/

It's an illustrated story about intestinal parasites. Considering the subject matter, it's actually quite tasteful; definitely SFW, probably safe for YOU too :)
"The effort of using machines to mimic the human mind has always struck me as rather silly: I'd rather use them to mimic something better." -- Edsger W. Dijkstra