The Official ZBB Quote Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
LinguistCat
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by LinguistCat »

Torco wrote:
TomHChappell wrote:
Torco wrote:It could be! [or at least circular... spherical is more complicated to figure out]
Yes, that's why I asked about "spherical". "Circular" isn't madness, "spherical" is, IMO.
unless you're a five-dimensional being instead of a four-dimensional one.

so what, godspeech has movement-indicating conjunctions for hypercube-like trayectories?... Man I feel like getting stoned
The stars are an ocean. Your breasts, are also an ocean.

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

zuben wrote:
Berek wrote:I have a lot of junk on my desktop that still needs to be sorted into folders.
Just do what I do and create a bunch of new folders variously titled 'crap', 'rubbish', 'stuff', 'crap 2' etc. and stick 'em all in there. The virtual equivalent of shoving all your junk in a cupboard or under your bed.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

linguoboy wrote:
Piotr wrote:Also, what, no Montenegrin wikipedia yet? Shame on you, Yugoslavians!
Balkan separatism just isn't what it used to be.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Torco wrote:
vampireshark wrote: On the contrary, Mr. Torco. They love killing all that is sinful and unclean. However, they must kill from afar with bows and arrows. (It is forbidden, by the way, for them to forge metal weapons.) Or capture the enemies and then burn them at the stake.
[jes:], I do remember all of that from a post on those guys back in the day, of course. I do imagine that cultural thing generating very humorous situations, however: imagine; the Glaagh kill a party of infiltrated humans, and then just leave them to rot at the local plaza, since no one will get close enough to clean up.

or even funnier: how many glaagh does it take to clear after a small battle:

2; one cleans up and the other incinerates him.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Mbwa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Mbwa »

Octaviano wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Not to mention "asstastic".
Is this how do you define yourself? LOL!
Pthug wrote:in a shocking development, it was revealed this week that Octaviano is, in fact, made of a rubberlike substance

coming up next, are you concerned about your newfound adhesive qualities? we interview a doctor who says you should be worried!!!
p_>-ts_>k_>-k_>k_>-pSSSSS

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

Regarding writing Nuxalk with Hangeul:
Mbwa wrote:Hangeul wasn't designed to take that CCCCCCCCCCCC abuse!
<King> Ivo, you phrase things in the most comedic manner

[quote="Jal"][quote="jme"]Thats just rude and unneeded.[/quote]That sums up Io, basically. Yet, we all love him.[/quote]

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

During a discussion on the etymology of PIE *kʷekʷlo- 'wheel':
bricka wrote:
Vortex wrote:
Octaviano wrote:Unless (like I think) PIE borrowed *kwel- in the first place from PNC *ʡwilʡa (˜ -ʕ-,-ǝ,-ɨ) 'wheel'.
So the question is: which was first, the chicken or the egg?
Aren't you worried that you are suffering from confirmation bias and some circular logic here?
If wheels are involved, it's definitely circular.

Gaxa
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Gaxa »

Jnvlv wrote:Ok thanks guys but I don't want it to be all weird and freaky. I will post more stuff some may be close to English and some won't be at all.
Why do newbies think the English is "normal" and everything else is "weird and freaky"?

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

because their native language is usually english, why is this surprising to you?

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Pthug wrote:because their native language is usually english, why is this surprising to you?
Because he assumes that even newcomers to language creation and linguistic stuff in general would be aware of the fact that english is indeed one weird ass lang, and that they would be both interested in and able to make their lang original and different from their L1; he's, of course, wrong on both accounts, for a lot of them.

Trajan
Niš
Niš

Post by Trajan »

Gaxa wrote:
Jnvlv wrote:Ok thanks guys but I don't want it to be all weird and freaky. I will post more stuff some may be close to English and some won't be at all.
Why do newbies think the English is "normal" and everything else is "weird and freaky"?
And what would you call yourself, may I ask?
[color=red]Economic Left/Right: -5.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.87[/color]
[img]http://www.cwnc.net/my/images/cwnc-mod.png[/img]

Gaxa
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Gaxa »

Strange, like everything else in the world.

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

On the Long March of people and pigs from SE Asia:
Shm Jay wrote:And he must not meet anyone else, in order for the pigs to get to the PIE homeland in any reasonable length of time without being stolen or bought or killed or having to star in lengthy demonstrations on this new product for the Proto-Dravidians, or the Proto-Uralics, or the Proto-Altaics, or the Proto-Dene-Caucasians, or whatever other Proto-people were to be encountered.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Octaviano wrote: If you've got any real linguistic argument relevant to the subject, I'd be glad to hear it. Otherwise, you'd better shut up :x
hahahaha irony

Mbwa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Mbwa »

Aldwinkle wrote:i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Trailsend wrote:OMG I THOT IT WAS A JOK BUT MY KICHEN IS A MESS!!1!!
Sadly accurate.

캉탁
Lebom
Lebom

Post by 캉탁 »

Last edited by 캉탁 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

Torco wrote:Because he assumes that even newcomers to language creation and linguistic stuff in general would be aware of the fact that english is indeed one weird ass lang, and that they would be both interested in and able to make their lang original and different from their L1; he's, of course, wrong on both accounts, for a lot of them.
He'd be entitled to be surprised if these newcomers were coming to language creation through a previous interest in linguistic stuff. Which is rarely the case any more.
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Berek wrote:
Torco wrote:Because he assumes that even newcomers to language creation and linguistic stuff in general would be aware of the fact that english is indeed one weird ass lang, and that they would be both interested in and able to make their lang original and different from their L1; he's, of course, wrong on both accounts, for a lot of them.
He'd be entitled to be surprised if these newcomers were coming to language creation through a previous interest in linguistic stuff. Which is rarely the case any more.
I know, I miss the good 'ol days when conlanging was an exclusive club reserved only for well-bred white academic folks.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

How do you even GET to exclusivity, and especially to racism, from that?

Was that ""clever""?

Jesus Herbert Walker Christ, you just keep breaking record after record for how fucking impaired someone can be at Getting Shit.

I do not remember, back in 2001, 2002, etc. so many people who had never had an interest in linguistics, never even been curious about how languages work, never bothered to go learn anything about another language, having the impression that they should create a language. Maybe I'm seeing the past through rose-coloured glasses (yeah, I got accused of that). But I remember all the people I would talk to about conlanging back then had at least been interested in languages before deciding they wanted to make one of their own.
Expecting people to have an interest and a curiosity in what they're doing is hardly the same as wanting to lock them out of the club.

How the fuck do you even have conversations, or manage to get your shoes on the right feet in the morning, Viktor? Good god.
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

First of all, I was using Pthug logic which allows for large leaps. Secondly, did you ever think that people can learn about languages through creating a conlang and having it critiqued by an online community? Sure it's nice to have a former interest in linguistics, but that doesn't mean you can't build an interest through the process of conlanging. I don't see what's inherently wrong with doing that either, as you indirectly claim by referring to the good 'ol days of the past.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

fuck you too, cunt

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Viktor77 wrote:First of all, I was using Pthug logic which allows for large leaps.
the difference here being that at least pthug usually makes some sort of sense

also there is a difference between exclusivity and expecting people to at least do the MINIMAL fucking amount of research before posting their shit. if someone finds this place, they probably know about zompist's site (and if they don't, they can find it pretty easily) and the LCK is linked pretty obviously from there. not to mention the fact that IPA is used enough in conlang-related pages that people should eventually realize that those funny symbols actually mean something and they should probably learn what they mean
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

QUOTE THREAD
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

LinguistCat
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by LinguistCat »

Xephyr wrote:QUOTE THREAD
There. Better now Xepher? :P
The stars are an ocean. Your breasts, are also an ocean.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.