The Official ZBB Quote Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

Berek, Pthag, Nortaneous, that's a hell of a overreaction. Why did you take him seriously?!?!
<King> Ivo, you phrase things in the most comedic manner

[quote="Jal"][quote="jme"]Thats just rude and unneeded.[/quote]That sums up Io, basically. Yet, we all love him.[/quote]

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Io wrote:Berek, Pthag, Nortaneous, that's a hell of a overreaction. Why did you take him seriously?!?!
Good question, why did you take me seriously? Did I sound the least bit serious to you? For fuck sakes I was using Pthug logic people, that's the furthest thing from seriousness.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

I have the take it like a man approach, such as when I laughed at my best friend for wearing a wrist brace when he cracked his wrist.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

Io wrote:Berek, Pthag, Nortaneous, that's a hell of a overreaction. Why did you take him seriously?!?!
Because it's "Ha ha, only serious." As it always is with Viktor.
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

super subpixel rendering!!!!!!!

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

this thread is much funnier now than it was as a quote thread
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Viktor77 wrote:
Berek wrote:
Torco wrote:Because he assumes that even newcomers to language creation and linguistic stuff in general would be aware of the fact that english is indeed one weird ass lang, and that they would be both interested in and able to make their lang original and different from their L1; he's, of course, wrong on both accounts, for a lot of them.
He'd be entitled to be surprised if these newcomers were coming to language creation through a previous interest in linguistic stuff. Which is rarely the case any more.
I know, I miss the good 'ol days when conlanging was an exclusive club reserved only for well-bred white academic folks.
Berek wrote:How do you even GET to exclusivity, and especially to racism, from that?

Was that ""clever""?

Jesus Herbert Walker Christ, you just keep breaking record after record for how fucking impaired someone can be at Getting Shit.

I do not remember, back in 2001, 2002, etc. so many people who had never had an interest in linguistics, never even been curious about how languages work, never bothered to go learn anything about another language, having the impression that they should create a language. Maybe I'm seeing the past through rose-coloured glasses (yeah, I got accused of that). But I remember all the people I would talk to about conlanging back then had at least been interested in languages before deciding they wanted to make one of their own.
Expecting people to have an interest and a curiosity in what they're doing is hardly the same as wanting to lock them out of the club.

How the fuck do you even have conversations, or manage to get your shoes on the right feet in the morning, Viktor? Good god.
Viktor77 wrote:First of all, I was using Pthug logic which allows for large leaps. Secondly, did you ever think that people can learn about languages through creating a conlang and having it critiqued by an online community? Sure it's nice to have a former interest in linguistics, but that doesn't mean you can't build an interest through the process of conlanging. I don't see what's inherently wrong with doing that either, as you indirectly claim by referring to the good 'ol days of the past.
Pthug wrote:fuck you too, cunt
Nortaneous wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:First of all, I was using Pthug logic which allows for large leaps.
the difference here being that at least pthug usually makes some sort of sense

also there is a difference between exclusivity and expecting people to at least do the MINIMAL fucking amount of research before posting their shit. if someone finds this place, they probably know about zompist's site (and if they don't, they can find it pretty easily) and the LCK is linked pretty obviously from there. not to mention the fact that IPA is used enough in conlang-related pages that people should eventually realize that those funny symbols actually mean something and they should probably learn what they mean
Viktor77 wrote:
Good question, why did you take me seriously? Did I sound the least bit serious to you? For fuck sakes I was using Pthug logic people, that's the furthest thing from seriousness.
Pthug wrote:I have the take it like a man approach, such as when I laughed at my best friend for wearing a wrist brace when he cracked his wrist.
Berek wrote:
Because it's "Ha ha, only serious." As it always is with Viktor.
Pthug wrote:Image
Xephyr wrote:Image
Pthug wrote:super subpixel rendering!!!!!!!
better?
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I love vampy's sense of humour
vampyre_smiles wrote:
Xephyr wrote:QUOTE THREAD
There. Better now Xepher? :P
/me laughed

Mbwa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Mbwa »

tatapyranga wrote:Thanks to Octaviano, I learned how to argue like a 'serious linguist': just repeat what the other people said, negated, IN UPPERCASE.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Anguipes wrote:
CaesarVincens wrote:I must say, of all the forums I've ever frequented, this is the most anarchic.
Laissez-faire moderation + intellectuals + a large proportion of posters with malfunctioning sarcasm and humour detectors = the most ponderous and nerdy anarchy in existence. Enjoy!
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

These two, respectively.
Xephyr wrote:Moreso simply the presence of Pthag, who combines a (for my money) freaking enormous intellect with a complete irreverence for the veneers of etiquette.

Best not to respond to him. Better not to ignore him.
bricka wrote:
Xephyr wrote:Moreso simply the presence of Pthag
I see your idiolect hus a rather rare merger of /æ/ and /V/ :-)
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

ghur wrote:Anyway, for people who do remember me, not much has changed. Except that I'm working on a completely different conworld, am not in college anymore, and female.
FinalZera wrote:
ghur wrote:Well... your signature looks familiar. (Though its pretty generic, so someone else might've had it) Have you changed your name at all?
The final letter ('a') used to be an 'o'.
Pthug wrote:i too changed a letter of my username
i can totally relate to what you're going through

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Rodlox wrote:
Serali wrote:You can't eat boingies.

They're inedible.
that's a flaw in their design. you could feed the starving masses of the world with those boingies.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Radius Solis wrote:Having an informed discussion is impossible when there's a monkey jumping in your face every time you say something, so we're left with smacking it until it goes away as the major available option.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Twpsyn Pentref wrote:
Rodlox wrote:I think I see...so the i- ensures that it's a single thing (a phone call)...right?
If by 'ensures that it's a single thing' you mean 'means "1"', then yes.

tatapyranga wrote:I have no evidence that they are wrong, btw, but I used UPPERCASE so I don't need to present any.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trailsend
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trailsend »

Eddy wrote: cafemancy

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

Trailsend wrote:"The oogley mood is used for states the speaker thinks she might like to see realized, but is not entirely sure. The boogleybangoogly mood indicates that the state is categorically deplorable."
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

rickardspaghetti
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rickardspaghetti »

Prmysl wrote:
AK-92 wrote:I have a consonant system of /k p t/ and a vowel system of /a e i o u y { 2/
What do you think of it? Also, did I get those X-SAMPA symbols right?
It's like Rotokas got pregnant by German then miscarried. That being said it seems interesting.
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

Salmoneous: In ur dictionary, redefinin' ur werdz.
Salmoneus wrote:Then there's the rather weak term "horrifying". I don't think Ames just thinks that Rand and the Republicans are "horrifying" - any old thing can provoke horror. An unpleasant sight can be horrifying. A painting can be horrifying. No, what Ames appears to want us to do is not just feel horror, but to actually feel opprobrium. He present's Rands comments AS THOUGH THEY WERE A BAD THING. Not just horrifying - actually bad.

Anguipes
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Anguipes »

boy #12 wrote:Thinking about why I'm not into women, I think of their strangely curved bodies, hairless and gleaming; a body that combines aspects of a baby and a robot.
"It is quite certain, in particular, that I have always been insane." ~ Aleister Crowley

"Save us all from arrogant men/And all the causes they're for/I won't be righteous again/I'm not that sure any more." ~ Shades of Grey, Billy Joel

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Anguipes wrote:
boy #12 wrote:Thinking about why I'm not into women, I think of their strangely curved bodies, hairless and gleaming; a body that combines aspects of a baby and a robot.
ROFLMAO
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018