Post by Torco »

I wish I could upload some money... <sigh>

I wonder when it will be available on bittorrent
[just kidding xD]

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

I knew this thread had to be here somewhere.

Congratulations to Zompist!

I'm talking my local Barnes&Nobles, Borders, and Public Library into getting copies of your book (worst case, only one of them obtains it; best case, all three obtain at least one copy).

and I'm going to order a copy of my own as soon as I get paid.
MadBrain is a genius.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Rodlox wrote:I'm talking my local Barnes&Nobles, Borders, and Public Library into getting copies of your book (worst case, only one of them obtains it; best case, all three obtain at least one copy).
We-e-e-ell...if it's distributed through a partnership with Amazon, I don't think any of those places would be able to distribute it, though I could be wrong.

I will note that when I looked up the ISBN in the Barnes and Noble (where I work) computer system the other day it didn't register--but I suppose that could be a time issue?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Whimemsz wrote:We-e-e-ell...if it's distributed through a partnership with Amazon, I don't think any of those places would be able to distribute it, though I could be wrong.

I will note that when I looked up the ISBN in the Barnes and Noble (where I work) computer system the other day it didn't register--but I suppose that could be a time issue?
Amazon has an "expanded distribution" that's supposed to let it be ordered from bookstores, but it takes some weeks to set up (so they say). So yeah, it may be too early. They are not very clear on how this is done, but presumably the bookstore will know.

As for the ISBN, thanks for the reminder to go register it with Bowker. :)

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Torco wrote:I wonder when it will be available on bittorrent
[just kidding xD]
It's been on the internet for free for years. I assume it's been taken down now, though (checks) Holy crap! Zomp, I think I may have found a teensy flaw in your "exchange book for money" scheme.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Mbwa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Mbwa »

It is certainly awesome. The Kebreni grammar feels like such a steal.

I did notice a couple of mistakes myself, though:

P. 69- A lot of the text seems to be carried over from the original web version. In the gender section, the example of how it can help free word order in Swahili is taken out, yet the reference to it is kept in at the bottom of the page.

There was another, but I forgot it. It's still an awesome book though. At the risk of sounding cheesy, it makes conlanging fun again.

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Ours is now on the way! Yay!

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Couple more issues:

*I think it would be helpful to have a glossary in the back for all the capitalized terms that occur throughout the book, especially for newbies who might not remember what a term means by the time they reach it a second time.

*The way the diagram on pg. 29 is drawn, the lips sort of make it difficult to see the teeth, at least for me. Or at least, they make it more difficult to realize what the teeth are. I'd suggest a diagram more like the one in the original web LCK, where the lips don't connect, but instead go "behind" the teeth, if that makes sense? (Otherwise, of course, the clarity of the book diagram is far superior to that of the web one, so don't change that!)

*Pg. 34, there's a typo near the top, in the definition of a retroflex r: "[s" instead of "is"

*Pg. 35: Strictly speaking, [ʎ] is of course a palatal l, not a palatalized one

*Pg. 36: I repeat my concern about mixing in different transcription systems. Your IPA chart shows [ʃ] and [tʃ], and you refer to [ʃ] as the sound of English "sh" on pg. 28, but here you use "š" and "č".

*Pg. 45, a typo: Mandarin for "mother" is , not

*Pg. 104: I'll just note for the record that I'm highly dubious of the sort of claims made in books like The Meaning of Tingo. I mean for languages like French they might get the situation about right, but "areodjarekput" doesn't look even remotely like an Inuktitut word, and the meanings offered for many of those look extremely suspicious. To me it's like, just another iteration on "the Eskimo have 50 words for 'snow'!"

*Pg. 120, it's not made at all clear that "vixen" is in fact related to "fox"; it's merely stated that it comes from a dialect that voices initial fricatives. For someone not already aware of this relationship, they might well not know what you were talking about.

*Pg. 182: I assume, based on the statement that "Omeguese voices initial stops in closed syllables", that the Omeguese reflexes in the first column should be "p/b", rather than "p/t"

*Pg. 185: I'd add mention of [j] to the discussion of palatalization, especially since the example you give from the history of Chinese in fact consists of palatalization before [j], rather than a front vowel.

*Pg. 186: there's an extraneous square bracket in the transcription of French bien: "/bjɛ̃ ]/"

*Pg. 188: The etymology of "woodchuck" is presumably specifically from Cree ocek (Proto-Algonquian *wečyeka, see here [PDF], pg. 56). I'm suspect the commonly-cited "otcek" (or "otchek") is just from some earlier publication, back when the normal Americanist practice was to use <c> for [ʃ] and thus <tc> for [tʃ].

*Pg. 196: For shame, the Hebrew text is backwards! Each individual word is written (correctly) right-to-left, but the text itself runs left-to-right, so it looks like it says "Maymon ben Moshe Rabi".

*In the sound change list of Methaiun>Kebreni on pp. 254-5, the lefthand column is fairly narrow, and unfortunately several changes get split onto two lines. This is most serious with the change "{s, z} > [+velar]", because the "[+velar]" part is moved down to the next line, and consequently onto the next page! It took me a long time to actually notice that's what had happened; I was pretty confused for a while.

EDIT: Uhhh...hrmmm. Forgot about thisssss. But this post isn't because I'm an enemy!
Last edited by Whimemsz on Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eodrakken
Lebom
Lebom

Post by eodrakken »

brandrinn wrote:It's been on the internet for free for years. I assume it's been taken down now, though (checks) Holy crap! Zomp, I think I may have found a teensy flaw in your "exchange book for money" scheme.
The book is mostly new material, only parts of it are taken from the original web version. If that's all it was it would hardly fill up several hundred pages of a book...

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

I now have the book.

Will take my time to read it.
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

When’s the movie coming out? And the themed toys with a McDonald’s Happy Meal?

vtardif
Sanci
Sanci

Post by vtardif »

Huzzah! I've received my copy. It looks great so far - a few small issues, but none that haven't been covered already.

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

Issues

p. 75 : French example has wrong gender for "victime". It should be feminine.
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Yay it finally arrived! (Only took it a full week, geeez)

eodrakken
Lebom
Lebom

Post by eodrakken »

I think I've read all of it now (I skipped around a lot). It's very cool that you've added more stuff for beginners *and* info on more advanced topics that may be new even to experienced conlangers. Thumbs-up for that.

The one big gap I can see is that you didn't really explain glossing. (I thought there was a brief mention of it, but right now I can't find the page.) That's something beginners always get wrong, so if you do a second edition, I would add it in. Just an explanation of the one-to-one rule and the difference between using a hyphen and using a period would suffice, maybe with a link to the Leipzig rules on the resources page.

In short: Woot.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

So has anyone in Europe been able to get his/her hands on a copy?

JAL

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

eodrakken wrote:The one big gap I can see is that you didn't really explain glossing. (I thought there was a brief mention of it, but right now I can't find the page.)
Oops, I didn't index that page— see page 250.

(I'll do a corrected edition at some point, but there's a fee for this, so it won't be for awhile.)

eodrakken
Lebom
Lebom

Post by eodrakken »

zompist wrote:Oops, I didn't index that page— see page 250.
That's actually not the page I was thinking of. I think there's a part where you mention it in the context of pronoun glossing (3sm, etc.). My bad for not noticing it on p.250.

I'm glad you did explain it after all, but I think it could stand to be given a more prominent position than where it is. It's a pretty important point. Maybe that and a few other things mentioned in the commentary could be given their own brief section before the Kebreni grammar, as a general overview of how to organize and present a grammatical sketch. Then Kebreni is there as an example but the main points are also easy to review.

I know making revisions isn't free (I have a friend who makes a living from her self-published books), but it's something to consider for when you do get to that point.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

zompist wrote:I'll do a corrected edition at some point, but there's a fee for this, so it won't be for awhile.
Well, you could have an on-line page with corrections (like for the problems pointed out here), so people can check whether something they mentioned is already found by someone else.

JAL

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

jal wrote:Well, you could have an on-line page with corrections (like for the problems pointed out here),
This is a good idea.
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH
Miekko wrote:protip: no one wants to learn your conlangs. if they claim different, it's just to be friendly. this is true for all conlangers.

Colzie
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Colzie »

Shm Jay wrote:When’s the movie coming out? And the themed toys with a McDonald’s Happy Meal?
It's been here.
[quote="Octaviano"]Why does one need to invent an implausible etymology when we've got other linguistic resources to our avail? [/quote]

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Would it be cheaper to ship a copy to Mexico City than across the Atlantic to Edinburgh? This may be a viable alternative for me.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

My copy just came in the mail today. I started reading it, but got angry and threw it against the wall when I found that the Swede of Webpages joke was gone.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Aw. Just to console you, here's a picture of Connie the Contortionist Conlanging Conger Eel channeling Chico Marx.

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

I've yet to purchase a copy... I'm which is shameful, but at the same time, I want a signed copy. Reckon I'll have to pack up the car and go for a roadtrip after I get it...