ZBB member photos, part 5. (Something for the weekend, sir?)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
LinguistCat
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by LinguistCat »

Io wrote:Thanks but no thanks, I'm sick of these mixed signals guys. Mind games and mind reading, I don't like.
Not that you can say what other people are over the internet, but maybe he's homoromantic asexual. On my asexy board, it seems a lot of us don't understand these mysterious signals everyone sends or receives. But then, I know he was sending "signals" and I'm pretty clueless about these things.
The stars are an ocean. Your breasts, are also an ocean.

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

eodrakken wrote:
thedukeofnuke wrote:restrained gay men
pix pls
You know I actually will post pics. :P

Here's one
and here's another
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

The first one's kinda cute. If I didn't have a boyfriend I would say hook me up :P
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Viktor has a boyfriend?! Ooh gossip!

The first guy is the college brother of my lady friend, coincidentally :)
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

pharazon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by pharazon »

thedukeofnuke wrote:
eodrakken wrote:
thedukeofnuke wrote:restrained gay men
pix pls
You know I actually will post pics. :P
But they only answered part of eodrakken's request.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

thedukeofnuke wrote:Viktor has a boyfriend?! Ooh gossip!

You didn't know? Oops lol. His name is Xavier and he's 2 years older but meh. BTW are you gay or straight, Duke? I always assumed you straight.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Viktor77 wrote:
thedukeofnuke wrote:Viktor has a boyfriend?! Ooh gossip!

You didn't know? Oops lol. His name is Xavier and he's 2 years older but meh. BTW are you gay or straight, Duke? I always assumed you straight.
What, straight guys can't gossip now ?

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Torco wrote:What, straight guys can't gossip now ?
Not according to societal gender roles...:P

No, I was just curious as I try to keep a tab on the gay ZBBers. It interests me greatly why conlanging attracts a disproportional amount of gay people specifically gay men.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

Viktor77 wrote: It interests me greatly why conlanging attracts a disproportional amount of gay people specifically gay men.
jesus christ, it doesn't

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

It interests me greatly why conlanging attracts a disproportional amount of gay people specifically gay men.
I've had that same impression as well and often wondered about it. I've also noticed there seem to be a lot of people from Scandinavia as well.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Eddy wrote:
It interests me greatly why conlanging attracts a disproportional amount of gay people specifically gay men.
I've had that same impression as well and often wondered about it. I've also noticed there seem to be a lot of people from Scandinavia as well.
Scandinavia might just have something to do with how the government there promotes the arts as well as it's high rate of internet usage, but who knows? I'd love to know more.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

jesus christ

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Viktor77 wrote:
Eddy wrote:
Scandinavia might just have something to do with how the government there promotes the arts as well as it's high rate of internet usage, but who knows? I'd love to know more.
No. It's obviously because Sweden is where Verduria's embassy to Oikumene is.

And the gay thing... Well, we're clearly the only ones with appropriate mental capacity to invent languages. All the heteros on the board just haven't come out yet.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

No. It's obviously because Sweden is where Verduria's embassy to Oikumene is.
Now it's all making sense...
And the gay thing... Well, we're clearly the only ones with appropriate mental capacity to invent languages. All the heteros on the board just haven't come out yet.
Cockroach sure won't be happy to hear that.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Eddy wrote:Cockroach sure won't be happy to hear that.
Nah, he's happily splashing around in the river of denial. It happens sometimes. Poor guy.

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

I'm straight, since you ask. The picture of me with my lady friend (five pages ago now!) is a fair indicator that I'm not gay at least :P

It does indeed seem to me that there are a lot of gay guys here.
Actually, Astraios, I never knew that you were gay...

rickardspaghetti
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rickardspaghetti »

Neither did I. It's not contagious, right? :P
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

rickardspaghetti wrote:It's not contagious, right? :P
Depends on how attractive he is :wink:

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

thedukeofnuke wrote:I'm straight, since you ask. The picture of me with my lady friend (five pages ago now!) is a fair indicator that I'm not gay at least :P
But lady friend sounds so gay (to me at least, like a faghag for example), besides you're English and it's just a matter of time before you come out too.

:mrgreen:
<King> Ivo, you phrase things in the most comedic manner

[quote="Jal"][quote="jme"]Thats just rude and unneeded.[/quote]That sums up Io, basically. Yet, we all love him.[/quote]

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Eddy wrote:
There are a lot of Scandinavians on the internet in general. Once you take into account that this is a linguistics board and a lot of Americans have no interest in linguistics or really anything about other languages, and that this board doesn't like auxlangs (I'd bet that a lot of American conlangers are into auxlangs), it makes sense.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Io wrote:
thedukeofnuke wrote:I'm straight, since you ask. The picture of me with my lady friend (five pages ago now!) is a fair indicator that I'm not gay at least :P
But lady friend sounds so gay (to me at least, like a faghag for example), besides you're English and it's just a matter of time before you come out too.

:mrgreen:
Io, you cad! She's an unofficial girlfriend if that sounds better to you.
And despite being posh and English, I have never been to a private school :wink:

On the other hand I could just stop talking now.

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

So 'lady friend' is what, more like a friend with benefits? I've seen you saying it a few times and I never knew what to make out of it.

[quote="Jal"][quote="jme"]Thats just rude and unneeded.[/quote]That sums up Io, basically. Yet, we all love him.[/quote]

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

I've always understood 'lady friend' as a girl friend in the literal sense. A girl you're (close?) friends with, but you're not in a partnership with her.

German is similarly stupid in this regard, since "Freundin" can mean both a girl you're friends with as well as a female partner you're not married to. Hence I for one distinguish between "eine Freundin von mir" (INDEF-FEM friend-FEM of 1s.DAT, 'a girl friend of mine') and "meine Freundin" (1s.GEN-FEM friend-FEM, 'my girlfriend') — though I don't have the latter.

EDIT: The same constructions apply to the masculine form, Freund, of course.
Last edited by Jipí on Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Io wrote:So 'lady friend' is what, more like a friend with benefits? I've seen you saying it a few times and I never knew what to make out of it.
Heh, for various reasons she doesn't like to be called a girlfriend. "Lady friend," which is an old-fashioned term, is apparently more acceptable to her and I've picked up the habit of using that instead. But we are a couple in everything but name... Friends with benefits don't kiss so much, in my experience :P

For the sense of a friend who's a girl, we'd probably say "female friend". I agree that the vocabulary here is a bit lacking... doesn't French use petite copine, "little female friend"?

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

In Buggerian it's similar приятел/приятелка mean he-friend/she-friend and normally that's how they're understood but if you say "приятелят ми/приятелката ми" i.e. "my he-friend/she-friend" with a definite article, then it's understood as a mating mate. There is also the word гадже which is believed to be a borrowing from the Gypsy lingo and it means someone you date of either gender.