ZBB member photos, part 5. (Something for the weekend, sir?)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: ZBB member photos, part 5.

Post by Viktor77 »

Torco wrote:Writing is unnatural ?

THEM WHO WRITE ARE PROFLIGATES, LITERACY IS A SIN AGAINST NATURE AND THUS, AN ABOMINATION UNTO THE LORD.

Also, yeah, registries. You don't talk to your grandmother the same as you talk to your girlfriend... or boyfriend, I guess. You don't talk on the phone the same as you talk across a bridge or face to face at the dinner table. so you don't talk the same in an job-related email or in the zbb and shit.

Also, written oral registry looks awful.

It's like... yeah, I think it would, huh, look kinda like, huh, crap, dont'ch'think?
By unnatural I simply mean that writing or reading are inventions of society. We are not as humans evolved enough to process written language at the rate we process oral language and thus the need for written education and the rampant diagnoses of reading disabilities. In this sense, reading and writing are unnatural.

And crap is relative. I wasn't calling for demolishing of standards but for the updating of standards. Plus we already write down those oral changes which are common enough in our language to deserve being recognised as legitimate changes ie. wanna, gonna, should've, etc.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

Viktor77 wrote:By unnatural I simply mean that writing or reading are inventions of society. We are not as humans evolved enough to process written language at the rate we process oral language and thus the need for written education and the rampant diagnoses of reading disabilities. In this sense, reading and writing are unnatural.
Speak for yourself. I obviously must be a more highly evolved being than you since I can!

also please stop talking about this, you are talking bullshit and have disturbing, yet vague, ideas of what evolution is exactly.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Nae wrote:
Zoris wrote:Standards. While language may change in one region in a certain way, it helps facilitate communication to other regions. If Americans and British were to both write in a more phonemically correct way than we currently do, for example, American kids would have to learn two writing systems just to read their Harry Potter.
No they wouldn't, they'd just read a translated version. Especially considering that 1) English to American often goes through a localisation process already (Sorcerer's Stone, anyone?), and 2) A "translation" in this case would be quite trivial compared to real translation, and could be done by an automated process.
And that they do localization for such books is really annoying, honestly. I do not need a goddamn localization, much the less translation, to read literary British English, thank you.
Nae wrote:This one of my biggest peeves with people going "oh but then they won't be able to read [old stuff]!": I have great news to you! They aren't reading them NOW either! All of that Shakespeare and Chaucer? No kid is reading that stuff. You almost need a college education for Shakespeare (and a dirty 16th century sense of humour), and you certainly do need some sort of extra language education for Chaucer.
At my high school, we actually covered much of Shakespeare's work and parts of Canterbury Tales, and it was all untranslated. Yes, they were with a good few footnotes, but particularly in the case of Shakespeare we were expected to be able to (and were actually able to) understand it without reference to something else explaining it all. Only did we actually use translations of Anglic varieties when we covered Beowulf, as practically no one who is not very familiar with old Germanic languages can read Old English directly today.
Nae wrote:Do you know what happens to texts in old archaic languages that no one knows how to read anymore? They get translated by university people into the colloquial, if anyone bothers (because no one is reading that stuff in any case).
I think you underestimate the significance of Shakespeare in the English literature canon and even in present-day popular culture here. And while people do translate Shakespeare, actually using translations thereof is often quite looked down upon.
Nae wrote:And certainly, with something like Harry Potter a translation from Brenglish to American is quite likely, because that shit be popular. SO DON'T WORRY. There will be enough Harry Potter for the whole world!
I for one rather favor maintaining literary English effectively as a classical literary language, rather than attempting to modernize or localize it. Far too much is written in it and it already has so much of a value as a lingua franca that all doing so would do is make much of what is already written in English inaccessible to future generations, make people speaking different Anglic varieties less able to communicate with one another, and greatly reduce the value of literary English as a lingua franca.

The matter is that Anglic varieties are not converging overall, even though in some areas there is significant dialect loss taking place, but oftentimes that is the replacement of rural dialects with regional ones rather than standard varieties, and the standard varieties of English themselves are by no means converging. Any signs of the opposite tend to actually be effects of increased understanding of other Anglic varieties through hearing them more often rather than actual convergence; for instance, my parents speak closer to Received Pronunciation than I do, having much more General American-type pronunciation than myself, yet I understand English English varieties much better than they do simply through more exposure to them at a younger age.

Hence there will be in the future significant value to maintaining a (largely) unified literary English, so that future speakers of Anglic varieties can still both communicate with each other and read things already written even if their speech is no longer crossintelligible or they can no longer understand how people who wrote things in the past would have actually spoken. Of course, maintaining a unified literary English as a classical literary language requires resisting attempts to modernize or localize it and maintaining the use of forms that are still productive in writing but are already losing productivity or becoming archaic in speech.

(I think a good goal for maintaining literary English as a classical language is to write with the goal that educated individuals a thousand years from now ought to be able to understand what one writes without translation, even though they would most likely not understand how one actually speaks. Yes, that sounds like an ambitious goal, but consider the time frame between the founding of the Roman Empire and when Romance vernaculars just started to be written.)
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Salmoneus thinks this is vindictively offensive.

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z500
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Z500 »

'tis I:

scientists have discovered a capsule that makes you not a gullible fucktard!

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

TomHChappell wrote:I couldn't find an up-to-date picture. Here's the most recent one.
You're a liar, but a cute kid :).

JAL

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Z500 wrote:'tis I:
Remind me not to encounter you in a dark alley *shudder*.

JAL

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

don't think i've posted this one here yet
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

rickardspaghetti
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rickardspaghetti »

Are you sure? It looks just like any other pic you've posted here. -_-
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

What am I supposed to do, get a top hat and a monocle? :P

rickardspaghetti
Avisaru
Avisaru

A haircut?
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Ew.

rickardspaghetti
Avisaru
Avisaru

Anything to make you look less girly.
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

It's times like this when I wish I could grow a Jürgen Burkhardt mustache.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Nortaneous wrote:It's times like this when I wish I could grow a Jürgen Burkhardt mustache.
You could start with not shaving for a while. That, or just apply a fake one.

JAL

Matt
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Matt »

jal wrote:
Nortaneous wrote:It's times like this when I wish I could grow a Jürgen Burkhardt mustache.
You could start with not shaving for a while. That, or just apply a fake one.
Or get a mustache tattooed on your finger, like I did (don't, actually).
Kuku-kuku kaki kakak kakekku kaku kaku.
'the toenails of my grandfather's elder brother are stiff'

Z500
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Z500 »

jal wrote:
Z500 wrote:'tis I:
Remind me not to encounter you in a dark alley *shudder*.

JAL
hey! where you going? i just wanted to rape you!!
scientists have discovered a capsule that makes you not a gullible fucktard!

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Aren't there hairstyles men with long hair can use? I mean, women can arrange their long hair in different ways; can't men?

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Shm Jay wrote:Aren't there hairstyles men with long hair can use?
There can be only one:

JAL

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

jal wrote:
Shm Jay wrote:Aren't there hairstyles men with long hair can use?
There can be only one:

JAL
She's very pretty, Jal. :wink:
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Viktor77 wrote:She's very pretty
To each his own :). The fact that such a hairdo would be an improvement for Nort says it all :).

JAL

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

She's even purtier

But has no boobs :(

Delthayre
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Delthayre »

I mentioned elsewhere that I got a new vest for Christmas. Below are some pictures of me wearing it.

That is the vest, purportedly made of the fabric used for West Point cadet uniforms, with my pocket watch chain run throught the second to last button. (The picture my be had in other sizes from here)

This the vest worn beneath my suit coat. I have not worn it publically in this manner and probably never will, but I wanted to how I might look in a more-or-less a three-piece suit. I regret that the picture is slightly blurry. (The picture my be had in other sizes from here)
"Great men are almost always bad men."
~Lord John Dalberg Acton

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Those are called vests in America? How utterly bizarre you all are. :)

Delthayre
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Delthayre »

Astraios wrote:Those are called vests in America? How utterly bizarre you all are. :)
I would call it a waistcoat, but most of my countrymen would look at me funny.
"Great men are almost always bad men."
~Lord John Dalberg Acton