Discussions worth keeping around later.
Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: The dream thread

Post by Astraios »

Glad you all liked it. :D

@ná'oolkiłí: The orchestra one is the funniest. :P

@dunomapuka: Yours sounds like the prelude to a longer dream. And also eerily similar to mine - ethnic conflict and bad guys breaking in? In case you dream a continuation, I hope you find out their allergies! :)

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

It was night time and we all had to take showers for some reason. I was told to go in first, maybe I was the dirtiest or they just wanted to get me out of the way. The bathroom was huge and luxurious, even having an air conditioner and heater both controlled by the same dial (like a car), and a refrigerator filled with "bathroom safe" foods and drinks that were all in sealed containers so you could eat without having to touch your food. But the shower water itself was terrible, like a hotel that gives you just barely enough water pressure to get wet, and the shower kept turning itself off every 30 seconds or so assuming I was "done".

That's all. Yeah, I dreamt about taking a shower.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I dreamt that I slept with some chick and that we made breakfast.... it was nice

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Is that what they call it now in Chile? :wink:

I've had a lot of strange dreams, but nothing I can remember, except something where Mark did something with the board software so the board and text tilted to the left.

Delthayre
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Delthayre »

Yesterday I had a very strange dream that I had been hired for some civic job in North Bergen, New Jersey, a town that I have never visited, that began with walk down an idyllic and attractive main street, which I am not even sure that North Bergen has, but ends bizarrely with some black man in a brown tweed suit repeatedly trying to kill me by attacking the top of my head with various objects, including an ice pick, a screwdriver and a power drill, apparently because my father paralyzed his father by stabbing the former in the back of the neck with a silver letter opener during the Viet Nam conflict. I can't account for this dream, which is preposterous in many ways, mainly because I am unlikely to accept work in New Jersey (it has few large or even medium cities, and none that I would care to inhabit), few municipalities, among the least of all being those in New Jersey, are hiring new personnel, I probably would not in fact be able to fight even one attempt on my life and my father spent the Viet Nam era protesting the war, being tried and convicted for refusing to serve in the war, getting draft counseling and then working in a mental hospital in Norristown.
"Great men are almost always bad men."
~Lord John Dalberg Acton

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Shm Jay wrote:Is that what they call it now in Chile? :wink:
You know how crass I am... If I meant fuck I'd have said fuck

fuck

fuckkitty fuck

phoq

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

I think he's talking [jokingly] about "made breakfast", but I could be wrong.
It's (broadly) [faɪ.ˈjuw.lɛ]
#define FEMALE

ConlangDictionary 0.3 3/15/14 (ZBB thread)

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

bulbaquil
Lebom
Lebom

Post by bulbaquil »

Yeah, Torco is pretty direct about things sexual in nature.
MI DRALAS, KHARULE MEVO STANI?!

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

faiuwle wrote:I think he's talking [jokingly] about "made breakfast", but I could be wrong.
Yes. I figured "made breakfast" = "made morning love" :wink: Anyway, it sounds romantic, or perhaps erotic.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Shm Jay wrote:
faiuwle wrote:I think he's talking [jokingly] about "made breakfast", but I could be wrong.
Yes. I figured "made breakfast" = "made morning love" :wink: Anyway, it sounds romantic, or perhaps erotic.
As nice as I think the metaphor is, the meta-metaphor being nurture for the soul for to nurture for the body, I actually dreamt about toasting bread and putting coffee in milk

Still, cool expression, I should use it sometime

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Well, when you use it to mean "making love" you can talk of making a sausage Mcmuffin or a sausage taco with beaten eggs. And by the way, people can freely use the latter expression in their conlangs, or translate it into their con-culture.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

sausage taco with beaten eggs? you know, double entendres, when too obvious, become silly, then boring. It's like you're closing and eye and shouting "wink"

faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by faiuwle »

There is a sign in a breakfast place I used to eat at in AZ that says "Over 1 million eggs flipped, the chicks are still laying." I always sat at the bar, and saw that sign about twice a month for quite a while, and then one day I looked at it in a slightly different way, and it wasn't so innocent anymore...
It's (broadly) [faɪ.ˈjuw.lɛ]
#define FEMALE

ConlangDictionary 0.3 3/15/14 (ZBB thread)

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Torco wrote:sausage taco with beaten eggs? you know, double entendres, when too obvious, become silly, then boring. It's like you're closing and eye and shouting "wink"
:wink: :wink: wink wink :wink: :wink:

bulbaquil
Lebom
Lebom

Post by bulbaquil »

Last night I dreamed I had gone back in time to the year 2000. I spent most of my visit to the past on the Internet, though there were tons of anachronisms - for example, Wikipedia and TV Tropes both existed, even though neither had been created yet in Real Life 2000. They were, however, different - TV Tropes had considerably fewer articles (I remember trying to find a couple and failing), and Wikipedia looked like an old Geocities site with a horrible color scheme and banner ads all over the place. Sadly I did not visit the ZBB in this dream (but did it even exist in 2000? I know Virtual Verduria did, but I'm not sure about the message boards.)
MI DRALAS, KHARULE MEVO STANI?!

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

I dreamt I was watching this big EU unity DVD set of short plays that I bought on clearance. The Latvian contribution was extremely "artistic" and incomprehensible, but the Turkish contribution was quite watchable, since it was a mafia movie. The Polish contribution was cancelled because their art group, "The Priests", did not contribute something in English, so in its place was the new Whitney Houston video (whatever that was).

Silk
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Silk »

Last night's dream was a weird one. I remember it somewhat vividly so I'll post it here.

I started out somewhere in Washington DC not far from the Capitol (I know this because I saw a sign saying 3rd street, and streets with low numbers tend to be closer to the absolute center). It was after midnight and I wanted to quickly get back to campus (which spans roughly from 18-22nd street). At one point I ran across a quiet street and I saw a policeman on a motorcycle signaling for me to come with him. I was sure I hadn't done anything wrong, but I assumed that because he saw me running like that late at night, that I was doing something suspicious. I got in the motorcycle, but the weird thing about the motorcycle was that it had an inside compartment where I could sit, so it was more like being in a forklift that moved quickly and had glass panels. He said we were going to the police station, but when we got there it didn't look like what I thought it would be. He took me over to a machine - I had to sit and put my hands on the two handles, and he said that I would be receiving my "second shock" at this point. I asked what that meant, and what was my "first shock", and he said that no one remembers their first shock. The shocking stuff turned out to be a joke though, since I didn't get shocked. They then asked me a bunch of questions and my answers to the questions would make lights on a panel on the right go up. There were columns with different categories having to do with crime, but also some with personal characteristics. The second panel was labeled "Honesty" and since I got a low score on it, I asked if I could re-do that set of questions while taking them more seriously (I figured that doing well on the other sections would be pointless if they thought I wasn't an honest person). They agreed, but below the yellow lights signifying my score, a blue light appeared showing that I had to do the section twice. When that was over, they said they wanted to test my knowledge of weights/measures and gave us leaflets that had math problems involving conversions. Also, at this point I realized I wasn't doing this alone, there were other people being interviewed and questioned, mostly in their 20s and 30s. He said that we had to read the sentences in the leaflets out loud, but in a specific way - when it was our turn, we would read only the first and third sentences or else he would scold us. For some reason there were words that looked French and I read them aloud with the best French pronunciation I could manage, though no one said anything. After this, there was a "break" period and we could talk to each other, but we were monitored. At this point I mentioned to someone next to me that I suspect it is just an experiment that tests obedience (similar to the Milgram experiment). A woman who was working there (oddly, she was Russian-looking and was wearing a bright red/orange dress and headscarf) asked me if I thought this was an experiment, and I said yes. She said that I could leave now, but if I told anyone about this I would be sued. As I exited the area I saw a few other people who were leaving - they probably also figured it out.

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

I had a sentimental dream about a little girl who lived with her parents in an idyllic country estate, often riding horses. I was not really involved with this family but watching them from afar. But it was on the eve of some rite of passage after which she would be spending considerably less time with her parents. And this was sad, because she was very close with her father. But her attitude seemed to be one of stoic reserve.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

I had a dream where I was watching a T intersection of railroads, and then a train came around the corner in the T and partially derailed, blocking the tracks. Then another train came along and ran into the first one, and a second one did the same. A little later, a 4th train came along, but it was able to stop in time. A bunch of people on horseback came out of the 4th train, so I got on my own horse and rode away, but they started to chase me. One of them threw bolas at me, but I mentally made a forcefield around myself and my horse and blocked them, though they tried to break though the forcefield for a couple seconds before falling to the ground. I then dropped the forcefield and morphed the horse into a zuken (a sort of large green scaly dragon type animal) which could run a lot faster, and I quickly escaped by running down the train tracks. At one point, the train tracks had become a regular road, and it started to get dark, so I decided to head home. I got onto a highway that had about 10 lanes, even though it was in the country, and started passing the mass of cars that was all over the place. When it got dark enough, I had the zuken use it's fire breath to serve as a headlight, and went along a little farther before coming to an area with a really steep hill, where I woke up.

A little more recently I had a dream where I had an apartment next to some other people (who seem to remind me of the guys in the Ouran Host Club, though I don't remember for sure) who kept making unreasonable demands and wouldn't let me lock my door.

Pretty much right after that dream, I had another that started out as a documentary on crashes in Nascar, which in the dream world resulted in speed limits being set both in pit lane and on the track itself. As the apparent camera slowly went around the track, a car suddenly appeared and slammed front first into the wall, as if to prove a point. Then the wreck disappeared, and the camera shifted to pit lane, where a bunch of cars were lined up before a race. Apparently I used to be a Nascar driver, though for this race I was serving as a member of the pit crew or something for my team instead, and the driver was some girl who's name I don't remember, nor did I recognize even in the dream. Next to my team in pit lane were Hikaru and Kaoru. (Which might have messed up my memory of the previous dream...) After a bit, the race started, but shortly into the race, a car detonated without warning, causing me to wake up.

Interesting, as I don't really have any interest in Nascar and that dream was probably caused by a passing reference to Nascar that was in an online quiz I had to take for class, which I had taken right before going to bed...
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

I was due to appear in a production of something in which I was playing a dwarf and had to appear in twice as many scenes as the other dwarves, but when I got to the theatre I couldn't find my costume and had to stand around in my underwear backstage. The dwarf I was to play was dark-skinned, and the only remotely applicable thing anyone could find was a complete puppet.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

LinguistCat
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by LinguistCat »

I dreamt that I was going to a fancy party held by a character in a video game I play. It was also part pool party, and was going on as long as some rose-like plant growing on the house was blooming, so the party went for several days. Most of the other people at the party weren't from the game, but acted and looked like they could be from the series. I only spoke in Japanese, but since I don't remember much Japanese now, I didn't talk much but I understood what the others said. (Translated to English.) Everyone thought I was just quiet.

A less pleasant dream I had involved cursed dolls that were going to kill a bunch of people, so the main "character" in the dream burned them, but it just made the curse into some kind of disease, and everyone got taken over by it zombie-style. Only, I wasn't scared watching all this, just annoyed that the people kept doing stupid things.
The stars are an ocean. Your breasts, are also an ocean.

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

Aliens touched down and wanted to bring me with them in their ship for scientific experiments. I refused to go with them, but gave them my cell phone as an artifact of human culture, as long as they promised to bring it back.

When they brought it back I saw they had deleted many text messages from my inbox, which is perpetually near-full, and also brought me a small statue of a Christian saint, which I put on the mantel and declared to be the saint representing sainthood itself.

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

I was driving around on a motorcycle, when all of a sudden the road turned into a bridge that grass was growing across. I ended up on an island, and the motorcycle's handles promptly broke off and I took out my mobile phone to quickly look up how to fix it. There were people there looking at me as if they wanted to know why I was there.

I was driving around in a car, when all of a sudden the road turned into a bridge that grass was growing across. I ended up in a valet parking spot, and got out. A man held a box in front of him, filled with spools of thread, and handed the box to me. I put the box in my car, along with four other similar boxes of increasing size. I walked around the back building and found myself over a broken motorcycle.

A man held a box in front of him, filled with spools of thread, and began to mock me. I put the box in my car, along with four other similar boxes of increasing size. I walked around the back building and found myself in a warehouse-looking room with people looking at me as if they wanted to know why I was there. The man with the box followed and held money in front of my face, continuing to mock me, and holding hundreds of dollars in his hands. I then realized the boxes he handed me were filled with cash, and that I was rich. I walked out of the building.

I ended up in a valet parking area. A man held a box in front of him, filled with thousands of dollars, and handed the box to me. I put the box in my car, along with four other similar boxes of increasing size. I started driving away with my money.

I was driving around in a car, when all of a sudden the road turned into a bridge that grass was growing across. I ended up on an island, and some of my classmates were there. I began to tell them about a dream I had where I owned a motorcycle. They rolled their eyes. I had to leave now, so I went to fetch my car, which was missing.

(and then I woke)

I was very confused.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

I dreamt I was at a library conference but had to go to the bathroom, where it was like some woman's bathroom in their house, with toilet paper cosies and the kind of rug thing you put on the toilet lid and various scented soaps and frilly things. I had terrible diarrhea, but could not be left in peace and misery because people kept banging on the door wanting to use the bathroom, or in the case of one Chinese man, just opened the door and walked in. People were complaining outside "why is there a line for this bathroom?" and in the end I had to show the owner of the bathroom that I had diarrhea. "Yes", she said, "I see why you need the time. That's very smelly and I have never smelled something so bad." In the end I had to use a large paper towel to clean up.

Another dream I had was that I was in this big busy ragbag of a junky used book store with ridiculously expensive remaindered Latin textbooks that were odd volumes of a series and this man — in fact he was the very man of that picture Jar Jar used to post after I said something he didn’t approve of — started hugging and kissing me and even though I screamed at the top of my voice I was being sexually harassed, no one cared or tried to rescue me except my friend Rhonda and my Russian professor in university (also female). We went to the police to complain but they told me I had to come back tomorrow when I would be calmer and things were not so busy.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

A quick one, because I don't remember much.

I had a dream where I was in a van with my mother, and it was being driven by itself.

We drove to our house, and heard sirens, and I realized that it was the tsunami (or earthquake) alert siren.

I can't remember if I heard it from the radio, or if I just knew it myself, but I knew that the siren was warning us to head uphill and to get out of the house, because either the earthquake or tsunami would hit just minutes away.

(A note: this dream probably too place at my grandmother's house [has been torn down for 10 years now], which sets the dream in western Washington State)

So, I spend the remainder of the dream trying to convince my mother of the danger, yelling and singing to her (she's deaf), and picking up things that I know we should bring along, such as blankets, coats, and things to keep us warm or off the ground.

She picks up a suitcase of clothing or whatever would be in it, and realized that she had been carrying that around all day before we knew a disaster was coming, so I knew that she'd be tired and might not make it up the hill.

We go to the kitchen to pick up other things, and she takes a spoonful of some kind of medicine, which I believe to be cold medicine.

As she does so, the kitchen starts to rock back and forth, but not very violently... So the time it took for the initial earthquake waves to reach us was a few "minutes".

(I am guessing that the dream was about the Cascadia fault off the coast of Washington and Oregon, because an earthquake from that fault would be one to cause tsunamis and huge earthquakes)

I'm not sure that going uphill would have been helpful, because a tsunami would be unlikely to reach inland in any of the places where I've lived in the area... but it could have been large enough in the dream to do so.

So that was it, I'm still unable to remember any specific details beyond that.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró