The dream thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Re: The dream thread

Post by Izambri »

Simmalti wrote:Also, question. Has anyone ever had a lucid dream?
Most of the dreams I can remember are lucid dreams.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

Even better:
Anyone here that has experienced sleep paralysis?
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

I have narcolepsy with cataplexy, so I get sleep paralysis with strong emotions when I'm awake. Oddly, I've never actually experienced it when coming out of sleep, though I wouldn't be surprised if that changes soon.

patiku
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by patiku »

I experience sleep paralysis around once a month. The biggest problem I have while it's going on is that I get really anxious and feel like I can't get enough air. Also, I have to get up and do something else for a bit because if I try to go back to sleep after it's over I'll just lapse into paralysis again.

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

I just fall asleep and realize that I am still awake but that I can not move. Hearing and sence is turned off but vision is not, and I am lying as I positioned myself. Nothing more. Poor me.

Edit.
It is fun to try to speak because I can only move my jaw, not my lips.
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Shrdlu wrote:Even better:
Once or twice. Passed rapidly and didn't saw hallucinations.

bulbaquil
Lebom
Lebom

Post by bulbaquil »

It's happened to me before, at least three times that I can remember. The way I deal with it nowadays is to try to "wriggle my way out of it" - try to move fingers and toes first, then move up to hands and feet, then legs and arms. If I can get wrist/ankle movement, I can usually wake up fully. Of course, the first time it happened to me, I was maybe 12 or 13 and had no idea what was going on, because I'd never heard about it, and tried to scream but no voice would come out.

For me it seems more likely to happen if I go to sleep under unusual circumstances (mid-afternoon naps, couch rather than bed, prone rather than supine...). I've never experienced it going to sleep, only waking from it. (I'm guessing it happens as my brain is about to enter a REM cycle and "overshoots" a bit into actual wakefulness.)
MI DRALAS, KHARULE MEVO STANI?!

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Salmoneus thinks this is vindictively offensive.

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

bulbaquil wrote:
It's happened to me before, at least three times that I can remember. The way I deal with it nowadays is to try to "wriggle my way out of it" - try to move fingers and toes first, then move up to hands and feet, then legs and arms. If I can get wrist/ankle movement, I can usually wake up fully. Of course, the first time it happened to me, I was maybe 12 or 13 and had no idea what was going on, because I'd never heard about it, and tried to scream but no voice would come out.

For me it seems more likely to happen if I go to sleep under unusual circumstances (mid-afternoon naps, couch rather than bed, prone rather than supine...). I've never experienced it going to sleep, only waking from it. (I'm guessing it happens as my brain is about to enter a REM cycle and "overshoots" a bit into actual wakefulness.)
I do exactly the same down to the fact that it happends when I've played with my sleep schedule, exept (as I said) It only happends when I'm going to sleep.

Civil War Bugle
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Civil War Bugle »

One of my friends says he has sleep paralysis every once in a while and it is accompanied by a sense of absolute fear and the idea that someone is standing next to him, which I have heard before, usually mentioned in books in UFOs (back when I read a lot of that sort of stuff) as evidence that they exist OMG the aliens dude.

Analyse this:

I dreamt that some Quakers wanted to start a worship group in my city so they sent a guy to hold a meeting on the subject. It was held at the local community college, and I went, and he talked about Quakerism and how he was a sergeant in the army. Then he went home, and kissed his young daughter and hugged his wife, who began shouting "Oh no, you've given us AIDS" indicating her chest and the daughter's mouth as being the locations of transmission.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

TomHChappell wrote:I dreamed I and the rest of the traffic were driving quite fast down a crowded multi-lane freeway.

I was in the lane second from the left; on American divided highways, that's the lane next to the inside lane, and is the second-fastest lane.

Ahead of me a van had to panic-stomp on their brakes, for reasons I couldn't tell. The van turned sideways and continued sliding down the freeway sideways; but I had to panic-step on my own brakes, because I was catching up with it (which is not a good thing in such a situation).

Meantime the traffic in the leftmost lane had to panic-stop, too, because the sideways van had partially encroached on their lane. Unfortunately, just ahead of me in that lane was another van; when they tried to stop so suddenly, they jacknifed, and part of their trailer swung over in front of me.

I couldn't possibly brake fast enough to avoid hitting them, so instead I had to swerve to my right. That put me into danger from, and made me dangerous to, the traffic in the lane just to my right.

-------------------------

OK; does that mean anything? What?
Don't know what it means, but maybe they saw me riding the zuken, and that's why they stomped on the brakes?
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Salmoneus thinks this is vindictively offensive.

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

My parents had temporarily adopted an 8-year-old recording artist named "Ke$ha-Cupcake," so called because he had risen to fame by covering Ke$ha songs, using a Casio keyboard or something. He looked like a younger version of Justin Bieber but he was an absolute terror, almost psychopathic - he kept throwing things, and making a general mess everywhere. This was part of some kind of nationwide marketing ploy to have child celebrities shack up with normal families for a few days - the idea was to generate buzz from the havoc that would ensue. I went around telling everyone about the situation, complaining and bragging in the same breath.

Then I had a false awakening: I woke up, looked up "Ke$ha-Cupcake" on Google, and turned up nothing. When I began telling people about this, they said "No, he's real. You mean he's really staying at your house?" And then the whole thing more or less started over again.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

When in reality it gets 6 hits.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

I had a dream where I was in some sort of zombie shooter game. (which is odd, as I've never played any sort of game like that) I was with a couple other people in an area designed similar to the maintenance barn at the local golf course, but more high tech, like it was a factory or something. In another room off to the side, which appeared to be a lab of some sort a zombie spawned, and was quickly taken out. The door to there was then closed and locked, and I pulled some sort of semi-automatic weapon from somewhere, and put the pistol I had away. However, a large mob of zombies suddenly spawned in the same place the first did, and they were able to quickly break the door down and invade. I was able to take one or two of them out, but there were so many they were able to quickly surround and take out everyone. The last thing I remember before waking up is shooting one of the zombies in the groin and attempting to aim the gun upwards to shoot it in the head.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

bulbaquil
Lebom
Lebom

Post by bulbaquil »

Soap wrote:When in reality it gets 6 hits.
Soon to be 7, if Google indexes these threads.
MI DRALAS, KHARULE MEVO STANI?!

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

I went to the cheapest gas station in the state (run by ... surprise surprise .... "The Indians".) The people were very friendly and we had a lot of conversations. The reason we had time for that, was because it turned out they were able to sell gas cheap by not offering any of the things you'd expect to find at a gas station, other than the gasoline itself. There was no pump, for example, so I just had to scoop the gasoline out of an open tank into a waterproof bag of some sort. It got only to about 5 gallons before I stopped because I was having trouble lifting the bag. And then I realized I had no way to get it into the car, and they didnt have any gas cans available, but at least, I thought to myself, I had found a pretty good deal on gasoline.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

God fucking damn, I'm glad I'm not schizo, because I just woke up after a sexual rendez-vous with aliens. Their body shapes were kind of like the chickens from Chicken Run- they were colorful, fat little blobs on stick-like little legs, and they had eyes on antennae. Between their legs they had 6 little triangular holes, two of which were for sex (the other four were for unknown purposes), and to mate they inserted their eyeballs into these holes. And one of them wanted me to mate with it. Fuck. The flooding of half of Arizona also somehow featured.
Last edited by dhok on Thu May 12, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Nasty. Ugly.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Yeah, it was really disturbing.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I had a dream where I really needed the toilet and I had to run down the corridor away from some monster and bolt the door (which was difficult – I gave up and went for the inner door) and once I was inside it was like the most gigantic ornate toilet ever that was more like a golden throne.

Fortunately, when I go to the toilet in dreams I never go IRL, otherwise I'd be a massive bedwetter because I have these dreams quite often. But that time, I kind of woke up halfway through going to the ornate toilet in the dream, and the sensation of being half awake and only going to the toilet in the dreamworld is a bit weird – because I felt like I was going to the toilet and I actually wasn't.

Usually I just keep needing to go to the toilet in the dream, because IRL I'm still asleep and haven't actually gone to the toilet, and I never get to leave the bathroom in the dream.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

finlay wrote: and once I was inside it was like the most gigantic ornate toilet ever that was more like a golden throne.
Hey, I want one of those!

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Last night I dreamed I was Spider-Man. Top that!

It was seven kinds of awesome until the part where I forgot that web fluid is not inexhaustible. Guess I shouldn't've used so much to gum up the killer robot that was keeping the rest of the Fantastic Four prisoner!

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

I went to turn in my final phonology homework thing and was bitten on the ankle by a poisonous centipede and collapsed on the floor. When they went to rescue me, my phonology professor and my dad fell in love at first sight and ran off to elope while I lay there dying on the floor.

(so much WHY)

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Another vampire slayer dream. Unfortunately, the old "flinging stakes like stilettos" trick didn't work and I was forced to flee ignominiously. At least I could fly. (They could, too, but they had to go back for their capes first. Ha!)

Before that I dreamt that I was going offworld for some trivial reason. To get into the spaceport, I had to show an ID. Although I had a plastic card, I thought it would be quicker to let them scan the microchip implanted in my finger. (I was an early adopter, so they were a bit taken aback by this.) When I got to the boarding area, however, for some reason I produced my card instead and found out that it had been cut up and invalidated. This time, when I produced my finger, she didn't just scan it but pulled out the black thread the chip was attached to and snipped out a portion of it. As she placed the remainder into a plastic sheath for reinsertion into my fingertip, I remember thinking, "This can't be good."

Travel anxiety about my upcoming visit to Toronto?