The dream thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The dream thread

Post by Risla »

I had moved to Panama and it was Steampunk Panama, so everything operated on steam power and clockwork and stuff. I was wearing a bright red Victorian dress. I moved into this house, and this random indigenous guy came to visit me and was like "Hi, I like you, here have a rose!" and I took it from him and put it in a vase, and then he left. The rose began to drip bright green, glowing venom soon afterwards, and I realized that the rose was poisoned and that he was trying to murder my entire town with poisoned roses. So I had to stop him, but I didn't know where he'd gone. To find him, I went and dove into the Amazon River (Geographically accurate? wtf is that?) and decided to swim along the river until I found his village, where I would go and strangle him. I don't know how that would have worked, because he was armed. Anyway, about a mile along I encountered some rapids and they were giving me trouble, but I ran into someone on a paddleboat. It was my old anthropology professor and he said "Hi! Climb aboard my paddleboat!" so I did. I then told him about the man's Nefarious Schemes. My professor said he had blowdarts and I could kill the guy with that, since it would be much less messy. So we got to the village and he was in plain sight so I shot him, but then his entire village got angry, turned into leopards and jumped into the river after us while we paddleboated away.

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

In a medieval court, a young boy was whisking some yellow stuff in a bowl on a stone pedestal. But I knew that beneath the surface of the liquid there was a black hole, so I was warning the various lords and ladies not to stick their hands in it, unless they wanted to lose the hand.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Why are you going to Toronto, Linguoboy?

Anyway, lately I dreamt I lived in a dorm room in the library I work at and was pestered by a bunch of lap-dogs.

makvas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by makvas »

I dreamt that I had already moved to caltech, and it was rotation (where you visit each house to choose where to live). Lloyd House were doing things to purposely gross us out, like eating decades old biology lab experiments. I ended up vomiting twice. I don't remember the rest of the dream but it involved photography and inappropriate fondling.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Shm Jay wrote:Why are you going to Toronto, Linguoboy?
Why not?

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

linguoboy wrote:
Shm Jay wrote:Why are you going to Toronto, Linguoboy?
Why not?
I echo this sentiment (the "why not"), for Toronto is cool, indeed. Unfortunately, the CAD-USD rate is less than desirable right now...
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Someone's pet snake was biting me in self defense because I got too close. It was a large snake, but seemed to not be very powerful, perhaps it was "defanged" the way some cats are declawed. That's all I remember.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

My Linguistic Analysis professor gave me an invisibility cloak, which I then used to assassinate random targets for the rest of the dream.

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

I was walking beside a loch, a little way ahead of my dearly beloved, when I saw a water rat swim towards me, jump ashore, fetch something, and jump back in again. My beloved called me back to show me something, which was three large octopodes which had just appeared in the water. She picked one up for some reason, and I warned her that it would squirt ink at her, whereupon it duly ejected large quantities of sticky blue gunk, so she put it back and we headed on.

Later that dream my friend demonstrated something in chemistry to me, which of course involved test tubes full of colourful liquids.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

The school cafeteria ended the "all you can eat" type system and made us pay for everything individually, at prices that made satisfying meals impossible. it was the same dream I had about seven years ago, except this time the people announcing the change were nastier, barely able to contain their sadistic glee. I dont actually go to this school now, but in the dream they were the only provider of meals for a lot of people who lived in the town as well, including me. I actually didnt realize it was a dream for a few minutes after I woke up.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

I was called to go to Seville because the company for which I work opted to do a dig in that city. The company operates in Tarragona and Barcelona, so to move to Seville many of their people is a pain in the ass. I was called in the last minute, when all my colleagues were travelling to Seville or already working in the city, so the dream has been a nightmare through procedures, papers, instructions, bureaucracy and other legal stuff, including a full list of new equipment I must buy and pay OUT OF MY OWN POCKET because some security legal thing. Damn subcontracts.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I was God, and I imposed a two-state solution on Israel and Palestine, got Netanyahu to sign peace treaties with the Arab countries, made it international law that any attack on Israel by Palestine and any attack on Palestine by Israel would result in the unrecognizing of the state responsible, and then took some sand from Dubai and extended the Gaza Strip into the Mediterranean, so that it would be less crowded.

If only... :?

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

I met Obama and asked him what he felt about right-wing nutjobs. Then I asked him if he was going to see Glencoe, and he replied "Who's Glen Coe?", so I showed him it on a map.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

I remember someone saying in my dream "At least it was an English pig". And I remember selling a piglet as a pet to some people who were very lightly attached to their Jewishness and didn't practice it at all, but their maid, who was Jewish and practicing, quit as a result of having a pig in the house.

ná'oolkiłí
Lebom
Lebom

Post by ná'oolkiłí »

I had a dream where the composer Osvaldo Golijov was a drag queen and was competing on RuPaul's Drag Race. She thought the first challenge was going to be one where she could compose something and blow everyone out of the water, but instead they made hotdogs and she was the first to be eliminated. Que triste!

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

I dreamed there was a large pond in some woman's front yard that was still half-frozen over despite it being 80F outside. No doubt this was caused by reading dhokarena56's thread just before I went to sleep.

Also dreamed that a Wikipedia editor who mysteriously disappeared turned a year ago out to have just been ill all this time, and was back to editing now.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

I had a dream that I was spying on one of the hockey players I used to host being sucked off by his girlfriend. :o
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Viktor77 wrote:I had a dream that I was spying on one of the hockey players I used to host being sucked off by his girlfriend. :o
Is that all she would do? Frigid bitch.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Viktor77 wrote:I had a dream that I was spying on one of the hockey players I used to host being sucked off by his girlfriend. :o
Host in what sense? I thought one hosted shows or parties. How does one host an individual?
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Eddy wrote:Host in what sense? I thought one hosted shows or parties. How does one host an individual?
It means keeping a Foreign Student in your house for a while.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Astraios wrote:
Eddy wrote:Host in what sense? I thought one hosted shows or parties. How does one host an individual?
It means keeping a Foreign Student in your house for a while.
Yes, the more fancy word we used was "to billet."
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Viktor77 wrote:Yes, the more fancy word we used was "to billet."
Really? I find it somehow funny to imagine someone saying "Oh pardon me, I'm billeting an exchange student" on the phone and the other person wondering what the hell that means.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Eddy wrote:
Really? I find it somehow funny to imagine someone saying "Oh pardon me, I'm billeting an exchange student" on the phone and the other person wondering what the hell that means.
Well, that's what we said. We were called "billet families" or just "billets" and our responsibility was to "billet" hockey players. I generally use the world "host" now-a-days because later when we "hosted" an exchange student, the organisation referred to it as "hosting" and I'm more use to saying "hosting" now as opposed to "billeting."
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

bulbaquil
Lebom
Lebom

Post by bulbaquil »

Eddy wrote:
If it were me on the other end of the line, I might have misheard it as "filleting". That is unless "billet" is pronounced /ˈbɪlət/ instead of /bɨˈleɪ/, in which case I would have no idea what that meant, "but it doesn't sound nice".
MI DRALAS, KHARULE MEVO STANI?!

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

"Have you seen Victor? We were supposed to study for this test tonight."

"Oh sorry, he's billeting some exchange student in one of the back rooms, really getting into it I would imagine."

"Oh um, sorry."