ZBB member photos, part 5. (Something for the weekend, sir?)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Re: ZBB member photos, part 5. (Gayer than rainbows and kitt

Post by Aszev »

Nah, Viktor wasn't drunk when that was taken (by me, for the record), and just having met him, I can't say that I find his facial expression peculiar at all.

The name of that drink was le Sang du Dragon, [lə sã dzʏ dʁagɒ̃ɔ̃] or somesuch.
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH
Miekko wrote:protip: no one wants to learn your conlangs. if they claim different, it's just to be friendly. this is true for all conlangers.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Aszev wrote:Nah, Viktor wasn't drunk when that was taken (by me, for the record), and just having met him, I can't say that I find his facial expression peculiar at all.
Sure, in real life... but every single other photo he ever posts here involves the same inane fake grin.

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

bank manager

The Count
Sanci
Sanci

Post by The Count »

Goblin
"Khal malenol akher venkhasa!"

Terra
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Terra »

There are those who disagree.
I wonder what she'd think if she ever saw a prism.

Skomakar'n, how much time does it take you to get ready in the morning?

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

finlay wrote:
Aszev wrote:Nah, Viktor wasn't drunk when that was taken (by me, for the record), and just having met him, I can't say that I find his facial expression peculiar at all.
Sure, in real life... but every single other photo he ever posts here involves the same inane fake grin.
That's because being instructed to smile every time a photo is taken is something that becomes ingrained in you as part of expected behavior because of course the Prevailing Wisdom is that people look better in pictures when they are smiling. The Prevailing Wisdom is stupid. Certainly many people do look best when smiling, but not everyone! When I smile for the camera the results are uniformly dorky-looking as all hell, whereas if I resist the Smile Compulsion I can sometimes get a decent picture taken.

Which reminds me it's been a few years and probably time to do that again... bwuh.

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

Radius Solis wrote:That's because being instructed to smile every time a photo is taken is something that becomes ingrained in you as part of expected behavior because of course the Prevailing Wisdom is that people look better in pictures when they are smiling. The Prevailing Wisdom is stupid. Certainly many people do look best when smiling, but not everyone! When I smile for the camera the results are uniformly dorky-looking as all hell, whereas if I resist the Smile Compulsion I can sometimes get a decent picture taken.
Plus, the fake photo grin often just looks... unsettling. For me, if someone catches me during an actual smile/laugh, the result is nice, but if I smile for the camera... let's just say there's a reason most of those pics end up in the bin.
Constructed Voices - Another conlanging/conworlding blog.
Latest post: Joyful Birth of the Oiled One

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Radius Solis wrote:That's because being instructed to smile every time a photo is taken is something that becomes ingrained in you as part of expected behavior
That may well be, but my youngest (9 months old currently) starts smiling as soon as a camera is pointing at her. It may be just instinct!

JAL

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

IME babies smile more easily than older children and adults, though. Just look at them friendly and they'll beam back at you.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Radius Solis wrote:That's because being instructed to smile every time a photo is taken is something that becomes ingrained in you as part of expected behavior because of course the Prevailing Wisdom is that people look better in pictures when they are smiling. The Prevailing Wisdom is stupid. Certainly many people do look best when smiling, but not everyone! When I smile for the camera the results are uniformly dorky-looking as all hell, whereas if I resist the Smile Compulsion I can sometimes get a decent picture taken.
But it's a terrible position to be in for you have to weigh the two sides, A) If I smile, even if it's not a good smile, at least people will remark I smiled or B) If I don't smile, everyone will remark that I didn't and ask why. Our society is so stigmatised against non-smiles for some reason. The first thing everyone notes when looking at staged photos of their great grandparents isn't their dress or how similar they look to their relatives but their lack of a freaking smile!
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Viktor77 wrote:The first thing everyone notes when looking at staged photos of their great grandparents isn't their dress or how similar they look to their relatives but their lack of a freaking smile!
But that's because early photos took several minutes to take, so smiling was just not an option, and later generations copied that. Although it would probably have seemed frivolous to smile at a camera anyway.

JAL

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

jal wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:The first thing everyone notes when looking at staged photos of their great grandparents isn't their dress or how similar they look to their relatives but their lack of a freaking smile!
But that's because early photos took several minutes to take, so smiling was just not an option, and later generations copied that. Although it would probably have seemed frivolous to smile at a camera anyway.

JAL
I know this but most people I meet don't and so they don't put reasoning with their reaction against the lack of smiling.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Viktor77 wrote:I know this but most people I meet don't and so they don't put reasoning with their reaction against the lack of smiling.
Fwiw, I have never noticed you smiling funny on any of the photos. Quite a neutral smile, iirc.

JAL

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

No really, he does look kinda strange. My brother uses the same weird kind of expression on photos. It's kinda like showing your teeth without the drawing apart and up the corners of your mouth that are characteristic of a smile or grin. Plus, real smiles also involve stuff with the outward corners of the eyes. You don't get 'laughing creases' around the eyes for nothing.
Last edited by Jipí on Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

It's not too bad, but it's exactly the same face in every photo, bar one or two.

patiku
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by patiku »

Guitarplayer wrote:IME babies smile more easily than older children and adults, though. Just look at them friendly and they'll beam back at you.
That's because they're imitating you, it's like a parrot laughing with you when you hear a great joke.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Best argument for a condom commercial ever

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Since I was young, I guess in 3rd or 4th grade, I would smile in all my photos without my teeth showing.

I still do this, but I've learned that my smile that shows teeth isn't so bad.

(it's not that I had bad teeth, but I guess I was really nervous or got used to smiling that way)
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

MisterBernie wrote:Plus, the fake photo grin often just looks... unsettling. For me, if someone catches me during an actual smile/laugh, the result is nice, but if I smile for the camera... let's just say there's a reason most of those pics end up in the bin.

yeah totally ... sometimes it looks like the person with the camera said, "grimace!"
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

Timmytiptoe
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Timmytiptoe »

I did some stalking research, and out of the 11 photos (with a visible mouth) Viktor has in this thread, on 9 he has the same smile.

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

That's called be insecure on what to do.
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Timmytiptoe wrote:I did some stalking research, and out of the 11 photos (with a visible mouth) Viktor has in this thread, on 9 he has the same smile.
First, creepy much?

Second, this just gives me so much more motivation to maintain my diet.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

timmy: come on, man, there are so many things in this life more worth your time.

Timmytiptoe
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Timmytiptoe »

It's actually quite easy: At the bottom of a page there is a line that says
Sort by [Post time] [Ascending]
You change it to [Author] [Descending] and go to the pages where Viktor's posts are. It's quite easy, actually, and you don't need to read through 120 pages of photos for the third time!