The dream thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Re: The dream thread

Post by Torco »

nah, the dream wasn't philosophical, it's probably my post-interpretation that's philosophical, cause I'm a geek like that.

ratammer
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ratammer »

A couple of nights ago, I had a dream where I was on my way to uni, when I encountered two girls (one of which actually went to my old school, the other was an unidentified girl I seemed to know in my dream). They were asking why they couldn't get into a nearby school (that doesn't really exist - it replaced the houses that were really there) that we were apparently supposed to go to for something that day, but I said to them we weren't supposed to meet at the school. (In my head, I was trying to work out where this would fit into my timetable, and managed to remember my real-life Monday timetable, including the test I only had on that particular Monday!) We walked up to the school, which had no entrance - outside it were several zoo-like exhibits, the most prominent of which was a glass cage with a horizontal rod in the middle, around which four cats were swinging. They stopped when they noticed us.

Because of the setting and the appearance of the unidentified girl, it reminded me of a much older dream involving a "black people sensor" that lit up when black people were near it (the unidentified girl was black, and looked quite similar to a girl I knew from school who was in the earlier dream).

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

Oh, Torco, the "talking familiarly" thing reminds me of something– how does the tú–usted thing work in dreams? I mean, do you ever have dreams where you're talking with someone and using a different pronoun than you usually would? If so, is that ever a significant part of the dream– do you ever wake up and go, "Wow, I was tuteanding (That's a tough verb to borrow) my boss/ calling my girlfriend 'usted', how weird"?
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

A rabid skunk was chasing me. This was part of a much longer dream, but I was too uninterested to write it down in the morning and that's all I remember. I'm pretty sure that there were more animals and they weren't all rabid.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Jetboy wrote:Oh, Torco, the "talking familiarly" thing reminds me of something– how does the tú–usted thing work in dreams? I mean, do you ever have dreams where you're talking with someone and using a different pronoun than you usually would? If so, is that ever a significant part of the dream– do you ever wake up and go, "Wow, I was tuteanding (That's a tough verb to borrow) my boss/ calling my girlfriend 'usted', how weird"?
hummm.... yeeaguess? your proposition doesn't ring a bell, to be honest. I'm sure that could be an element of a dream someone has, buuut I've never experienced it. I'm a bad case, though, my dreams are never rich in dialogue, just imagery.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

I had a dream in which I was just finished killing some scary murderer using some kind of gaseous poison.

Then a group of Japanese students came up the road, where I asked them where they came from.

I think they said something very fast to the effect of "kokukokuku" or something like it, which I tried to repeat but couldn't. I think asked "Kokura kara kimashita ka?" (did you come from Kokura?) (which is what I thought they had said).

They moved on and began to walk up a forest trail back to their summer camp's mess halls and dorms. I followed. A wolf came out of nowhere, and I yelled to them "ookami!" (wolf!) to which they were unfazed, but stayed back. I tried howling to gain the wolves trust, but it didn't work, so I turned into a hawk and flew up above them all to escape.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

Another video game dream, this time the part I remember isnt so much the game as how I found on Google an animated file about the game (".inc" format, standing for "incremental") that was able to show a gigantic resolution, like 5000x5000, with a high framerate and no compression artifacts by using a GIF or Flash-like animation that remembers parts of frames that stay the same and does not use dithering for them.

bulbaquil
Lebom
Lebom

Post by bulbaquil »

I dreamed I was inside a church building attending what I think was supposed to be Obama's inauguration, though we were referring to him as Senator Obama the whole time. At any rate, I was talking with some other senator while in a T-shirt and boxer shorts and realized it was probably a good time to change clothes, so I pulled a dress shirt and slacks out from hammerspace and proceeded to find a bathroom to change in.

Many of the bathrooms had lines, but I was able to go into the deeper part of the concourse where in an actual church building they would hand out the bulletins and found a nice bathroom near what appeared to be a dental office - there was a kid sitting in a chair with a dentist there checking his teeth. After changing, I returned to the pew I was sitting in, but then the Waterwraith from Pikmin 2 showed up and so we all had to run.

Shame, I had thought there was something odd about a dental office being right next to a church bathroom still in the same building, but I didn't go lucid.
MI DRALAS, KHARULE MEVO STANI?!

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

I went to a party, got drunk, and took a picture of myself with a belt tied around my face.

Me and a bunch of guys who had been at the party went and joined the army. Our drill sergeant made us do random tasks, like assigning us to read translated Russian mystery novels. The books were old, cheap paperbacks and were falling apart, but seemed intriguing. Then another soldier bound my eyes with a cloth (because I was "seeing the world too metrically, in terms of centimeters") and tied some cords around my mouth so I "couldn't pronounce the vowel 'e' as in 'let' or the Spanish 'o'." But it didn't work; I could pronounce all my vowels just fine.

Then I went to a restaurant. I had been given some very nice earrings by an old Persian woman, or maybe I was just keeping them for her granddaughter. Or she had me confused with someone else.

I contemplated getting some Welsh Rarebit from a buffet table. Two Japanese guys quizzed me about having been an extra on the show How to Make it in America. Only one of them spoke English, so he translated for the other one. But the other one actually seemed to understand English also, and peppered his Japanese with English phrases like "guilty as charged."

An elderly couple were arguing - the woman wanted her balding husband to get some Rogaine-ike treatment, or to have the hair physically moved from the front of his head backward to cover the bald spot. He didn't want to do it, but he wasn't so much objecting as grunting threateningly, and glaring. But the wife talked nonstop, and she herself was undergoing a similar treatment, and I saw the box of medication which warned "Do not shampoo your hair, ever."

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

There was a seaslug sort of thing on my bed and I was poking it with an iron nail to see what it would do, but it was almost hibernating and not doing much. It was about the size of a potato and it was red and blue at the same time. Dry, but squishy.

.. and I can trace all of these ideas to things I've been thinking about recently.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

I dreamed I was getting my hair cut like Astraios's's's's's.... zz.

Get out of my head!

also why am I suddenly remembering lots of dreams

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Aww, so you could try and pull it back and look as awesome as me? :D

Also, why do I appear in so many people here's dreams... ?

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

Astraios wrote:Aww, so you could try and pull it back and look as awesome as me? :D

Also, why do I appear in so many people here's dreams... ?
because you're awesome

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I love you.

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

I was in a Japanese house where it rained constantly and the rain came through the ceiling, but we protected ourselves with hundreds of umbrellas. There were also hundreds of paintbrushes.

Then, I accidentally fell asleep on the train and ended up in some unfamiliar station uptown with all the signage in Spanish. It was the middle of the night and I felt a bit unsafe, and also for some reason I needed to change out of my pants. So I looked for a good place to duck in. On a street corner I saw some kind of interfaith chapel, so I went in - but it turned out it had been converted into a bar/lounge. It was very dim inside, with antique furniture and many candles and incense burning. It felt eerie but somehow cozy, and I felt comfortable enough to change.

Walking down the street, I got a craving for guacamole, so I stopped into some little Mexican bar/restaurant where a crowd had gathered to see Harry Reid and some other senator. They were a bit drunk and basically holding court, telling ribald stories.

But I continued onward to some country estate, then made my way onward to Tokyo - by car - where I met with some friends in a small apartment, spartan but with a fantastic skyline view. It seemed to be all my gay friends - sexual tension was in the air. Somebody was planning an orgy, or something, but I was just there for the weekend and I wanted to a have a semi-normal night out.

Also, there had been some Felliniesque journey of orphans by boat to the cliff dwelling of a wizard. The water came right up to his doorstep and they stretched their arms out to greet him, and he received them one by one.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

I did not dream about Astraios.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

You must have been so distraught. :(

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

I dreamed I was sorting out my CD collection so that I could decide which ones to give to charity. I kept finding more and more CDs in strange places, many of which I had no recollection of buying.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

a Korean family in America had taken bibimbap and put it inside a thick slice of pork, treating it like a "hot pocket" except made of meat. It was a big hit in Korea and started to loop back to America and appear in restaurants.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Yet another Harry Potter dream about the final battle with Voldemort, except yet again Voldemort arrived well before Harry (me) and the others were in seventh year.

So, the battle was taking place and Hogwarts had been Invisibilified (that was the exact word), to protect it some. However, the front gates kept Deinvisibilifying, and I had to stand there pushing them closed to keep them invisible. Then some small Muggle children appeared and the fighting stopped, but I was still trying to keep Hogwarts invisible so that the Muggles wouldn't see it.

Then God came to me in the form of Professor McGonagall, and said that Hogwarts/heaven will no longer discriminate against Muggles/non-believers and Squibs/sinners.

I was like, ".... WTH."

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

I blogged until 1:24in the morning with somebody I have a crush on. Happy dream- very happy.

Edit: But now I've graduated to being melancholy about it, because it's just made me pine for her.
Last edited by dhok on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

A cat belonging to some neighbors who were staying with us was pooping all over the floor and they asked me what I could to clean it up. I told them about some scented "cleaning pads" that were available at a convenience store nearby, which was somewhat embarrassing for them as apparently the whole family worked at Walmart and should have been able to find it there. Meanwhile I was understandably upset at having to live with the cat and being tasked with cleaning up after it.

Probable source of dream: happened in real life except for the pooping, it was just an annoying and messy cat.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I had sex with Mark Salling.

My life is complete.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

There was this big art exhibit in my city, wherein they filled a giant glass room with a) small, naked children and b) defanged venomous snakes. I was walking around looking at the exhibit when I realized that several important figures in linguistics were inside the exhibit as well, including Steven Pinker and Noam Chomsky. I stripped down (since no clothing was allowed inside the exhibit) and climbed over the glass wall to get inside so that I could get my boobs signed by the linguists in question.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Speaking of a dream, Risla wrote:... I realized that several important figures in linguistics were inside the exhibit as well, including Steven Pinker and Noam Chomsky. I stripped down (since no clothing was allowed inside the exhibit) and climbed over the glass wall to get inside so that I could get my boobs signed by the linguists in question.
You should write them and tell them about that dream. Linguists should have groupies.