The dream thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Wattmann
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The dream thread

Post by Wattmann »

El Torco wrote:I just woke up remembering that I dreamt I was a german soldier in WW2. I was setting up breastwork, then taking cover behind it, and then shooting at some americans. Then I got on to some sort of armored car and operated the machinegun. I ended up cooking dinner for some armored division until bombs fell from the sky and I died.
That's much more fun than anything I have :-D
Except the dying part...
But, so fun :-D
Warning: Recovering bilingual, attempting trilinguaility. Knowledge of French left behind in childhood. Currently repairing bilinguality. Repair stalled. Above content may be a touch off.

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Go analyse it, Freud!

I dreamed I had just bought a pizza in a restaurant/cafe kind of place which was laid out like a large grid, with the section for the ovens next to the one for the tables. I wanted to get a drink, but couldn't find out where to go and wandered around for a bit, then realised I'd wandered outside and was in streets I didn't know. Further wandering took me further and further away, including one passageway which led past a woman who was smoking and into a dead-end alley between houses. Eventually I lost it completely and yelled "THIS IS FUCKING HOPELESS", at which point I woke up.

The strange bit: one of the streets had a sign saying "GLOY GAMS", which I took to be a weird Scots name. If it has anything to do with anything, it's probably this:

which in my young days was called "Gloy Gum" and came in a shaped bottle with an angled red rubber bit on the top to facilitate spreading on papery surfaces. Why this should resurface now, when it hasn't been anywhere near my mind for thirty-five or so years, is a mystery.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Wattmann wrote:
El Torco wrote:I just woke up remembering that I dreamt I was a german soldier in WW2. I was setting up breastwork, then taking cover behind it, and then shooting at some americans. Then I got on to some sort of armored car and operated the machinegun. I ended up cooking dinner for some armored division until bombs fell from the sky and I died.
That's much more fun than anything I have :-D
Except the dying part...
But, so fun :-D
Come on, I'm sure you've had fun dreams. everyone has.

I remember once dreaming about me pissing in a balcony, and then a couple of floating eyes would go near the pool of piss and turn into flying koy fish. they floated in air like regular fish float in water, and they swam away. it was epic xD

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Last night I had the weirdest dream... I wasn't lucid, because I couldn't control anything happening, but it was like I knew exactly how every single detail of the dream would turn out, even though I'd never had this dream before.

The beginning was rather blurry, but I was escaping from some bad guys with my lover, and we were running and hiding through a massive castle which belonged to a dragon.

Then it got more coherent, and I was at our own house, which was in Australia, and it was a very modern-looking house, all squarish and glass everywhere. We had a big garden too. It was the middle of the night, and I knew that somewhere outside in the garden were the bad guys we'd been running away from. I was waiting for my lover to get home from somewhere, and I was very scared and upset, because I knew what would happen when he arrived.

He would pull into the driveway in his sexy little car, get out, and walk up to the front door, completely unaware that sneaking behind him in the darkness would be one of the bad guys. He would open the door, walk into the house, and close the door. And at the moment he closes the door, so that the sound would be disguised, the bad guy would drop a cigarette lighter next to the wooden door frame, and the door would catch fire.

My viewpoint jumped from my dreamcharacter into a bird's-eye view of the garden, and I saw my lover pull up into the driveway, and watched everything happen exactly as I knew it would. The door frame was burning, and my lover hadn't yet noticed, so I, back in my dreamcharacter's viewpoint, grabbed a bowl of water and threw it behind him when he went to hug me, and put the fire out.

I knew what would happen next - he, having turned as I threw the water and seen the fire, would freak out. He had a trauma about fire, or something like that, and so whenever he saw a fire he panicked. I knew he would open the door and peek out, but nobody would be there, and then he'd start to lose his sanity and say that we needed to go back to the dragon's castle.

He did exactly that, and I was terrified while he was peeking out of the door, in case the bad guys did something I hadn't foreseen. They didn't, but I was still terrified, because I knew that we would end up going back to the castle, and that the journey there would go disastrously wrong, and I knew what would happen once we arrived at the castle (but I won't tell you yet because that makes the story more fun).

So I spent the whole rest of the night trying to calm my lover down and convince him that we didn't need to go back to the dragon's castle, and of course it didn't work. So when the sun came up, we got into the car, and I started driving us towards the city, where the castle was located.

Again I knew what would happen - we would be driving along the small lanes, and we'd catch up to a huge yellow tractor thing, driving very slowly as they always do, and we would try to get past it. Once we were past it, it would suddenly speed up impossibly and chase us, trying to squash us in our little open-top car.

I saw the tractor up ahead, and I slowed down, to try and stay behind it. Then the tractor slowed down, pulling over to the edge of the road, and the driver waved us to go get past it. I didn't want to let the driver know I knew he was a bad guy, and I didn't want to freak out my lover even more, so I just said, "Oh, we like going slowly, you carry on in front of us." But that didn't work, and I drove past the tractor - the instant I got past it I sped up the car to 100 miles per hour, trying to put as much distance between the tractor and us as I could. But of course, it didn't work, and the tractor was right behind us all the time, trying to squash us.

Then I knew that I would lose control of the car, we'd go flying into a field, and barely miss crashing the car into a flock of sheep. I'd stop the car, we'd get out, and we'd notice that we weren't that far from the city with the castle now, so we'd just walk there.

That happened. All along the way I was trying to convince my lover we should just go back, but nope, not a chance. I already knew what would happen.

We arrived at the city, and by now I was in tears begging and crying to go back. My lover had completely lost his sanity by now, he wasn't *there* at all. I stopped at the massive wooden gate of the castle, and let him walk in through the little person-sized door cut out of the massive door. People in the city noticed him going in, and stopped to stare - no one went into the dragon's castle.

Then there was a massive tremor, and the sky went completely black with stormclouds. The dragon flew slowly up over the wall of the castle - it was as black as the clouds, and where its veins lay under its skin you could see glowing liquid fire. I couldn't see, because it had got so dark, but I knew it was holding my lover in its claws. It flew up into the clouds, until you couldn't see even the fire in its veins. Then there was a sudden bright orange flash, and a second later the noise of a huge explosion, and all the black clouds disappeared. There was nothing left in the sky, and it was a clear sunny morning again.

I burst into tears, and someone I knew in the city ran up to me and hugged me, and then I woke up.

It was quite distressing, especially the fact that I knew exactly what would happen all the time, and that I couldn't do anything to stop it.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

You have some very interesting dreams.

----

I was playing an RPG game similar to Secret of Mana for the SNES, in which my team consisted of a boy who fought with soap spells, a girl who fought with water spells, and a "sprite child" of unknown gender who I think used fire. The sprite's name was Cuil, like the search engine.

We won a major battle and saved the game. Sometime shortly afterwards, after a few regular battles, Cuil rebelled and attacked us, for a reason I dont remember. We splashed him with a combined soap and water spell, but it only did 8 damage points. Then he splashed us with fire twice in a row and we both died. But the game over screen said that because I had made it this far in the game without ever losing a battle, I was able to start over at any point and have full magic and HP (we had been very weak when we fought Cuil since we had just gotten through some battles). I dont remember if we won against Cuil after that but I do remember knowing that the game would not allow us to ever be friendly towards Cuil after this rebellion even though it was generally a fairly wholesome "everyone wins when we work together" type of game.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Soap wrote:You have some very interesting dreams.
I don't know where they come from. I could never be that imaginative when I'm awake.

Das Baron
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Das Baron »

I dreamed I was in a church similar to, but not quite the same as the one I went to until I was 20 or so. The back of each pew had little headphone jacks installed along the length of them so that people could listen to the sermon easier. I had managed to hack mine so that it played music instead, but I got in trouble because the music was too loud and the people around me could hear it even though I had the headphones on. So, I took them off and tried to turn off the jack, but nothing I did worked. I unplugged the headphones, but all that did was make the music come out of the jack itself even though there were no speakers. I started yanking all the wires out of the jack (because for some reason there were wires running all across the front of it instead of hidden behind it inside the pew itself), but all this accomplished was to make the music all tinny-sounding like music on headphones does when you take the headphones off. Also, the jack started oozing blood and pus from the headphone plug and all the wire holes and the music kept getting louder and more demonic-sounding. And then I woke up.
AKA Benjaburns

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Something involving a theropod walking in a wooded place in France and a French benedictine monastery in that same place, next to a river, and some masonry works with fossils in the stones, including those used to build the abbey.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Izambri wrote:Something involving a theropod walking in a wooded place in France and a French benedictine monastery in that same place, next to a river, and some masonry works with fossils in the stones, including those used to build the abbey.
Awesome dream! I've never had dinosaurs in my dreams, and I used to want to be an archaeologist. :(

I keep having more frequent dreams about my family members that I rarely have dreams about. They seem to be mean or ignorant towards me or just indifferent, and it's worrying me that I'm not spending enough time calling my family and talking to them.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Bristel wrote:
Izambri wrote:Something involving a theropod walking in a wooded place in France and a French benedictine monastery in that same place, next to a river, and some masonry works with fossils in the stones, including those used to build the abbey.
Awesome dream! I've never had dinosaurs in my dreams, and I used to want to be an archaeologist. :(
It was a weird dream. Weird in that it was like a documentary, first explaining the past environment of that place, millions of years ago (hence the dino walking through a forest), and then talking about the present presence of certain small fossils in the local stones, which were used to built the abbey.
It was a dream shaped as a National Geographic documentary... XD

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

I probably meant "paleontologist" above there. But archaeology was interesting too. :D

I've had dreams that are like that... It's very confusing when you wake up, because you think you had a TV on or something.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Taisc mach Daró

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Bristel wrote:I probably meant "paleontologist" above there. But archaeology was interesting too. :D
When I was a child I wanted to be an archeologist (if I had a child hero it was Indiana Jones for sure, not any of those DC comics superheroes) but I had a short I-wanna-be-a-paleontologist moment when I saw Jurassic Park; that was my life's dinomaniac period.

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

I got on a bus to Mexico City, arriving in about an hour. But it looked more like a small provincial town. The bus depot was right on the town square. The place was deserted except for a few bars and places catering to tourists; it gradually dawned on me that I was not in Mexico but in some Mexican-themed tourist trap in the US. I bought my return ticket, then walked up a flight of stairs into a cavernous, chapel-like room where a young, handsome American bartender served snacks and drinks. I considered getting a cocktail or something before I got on the bus.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I was out on a walk at night, and I accidentally came to a farm that's featured in a few of my dreams before now, except it had been taken over by a fashion designer and converted into his private home. He saw me and invited me to look around his "library", which turned out to be like an ordinary library except with items of catwalk-fashion instead of books. It was dark and maze-like, and I began to get worried when I realized there were some other people there looking around the library.

I made a plan to escape, trying to remember the way I'd got into the farm, and I managed to slip away when no one was looking. I came all the way to an exit, but it wasn't the same exit I'd come in by, and there were two choices of way to go - left or right. I had a feeling I should go left, but to me it looked like left ended up going back into the farm, so I went right, which looked like it led away from the farm.

So after a little bit of running, I found myself back in the library, and when I turned to run back and take the left path instead, there was nothing behind me but more of the maze-like library. Ahead I could see a doorway in the wall, so I went on through that, and ended up going down a spiral ramp into a torture chamber, where all the other people had been herded into pits in the floor which were covered by iron grids.

The fashion designer saw me, decided I should be the receptacle for his "evil speech" detailing just exactly what he's going to do in order to take over the world. I wasn't listening though, and I was thinking of a way to escape. I looked down into one of the pits, and saw an old man who'd been turned into a werewolf - he was staring right at me hungrily and snarling. So that terrified me so much that I normally would have woken up, but I didn't. I was surprised that I hadn't woken up, and began to get even more scared in case I would be trapped inside the dream forever.

I was just about to make my escape back up the spiral ramp when I woke up.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I had a really fun dream last night, but it was so jumpy-around and illogical and things that it's hard to say what actually happened.

I was somewhere that looked vaguely like Florida, and I was with a friend I had in primary school. I was being shown around a small house, as if I was looking to buy it. It was only one room, and when I entered the house, the person showing me it pushed me right in, and made the door disappear. So I realized I was trapped, and began pulling at the single window to try and escape. The window was made of hundreds of layers of thin cardboard stuck together (but somehow it was also see-through), and I could only peel off a couple of layers at a time.

Finally I got it open, and I jumped out of the hole and ran to hide round the back of the house. I saw my friend hiding behind a tree at the edge of the pavement on my left, and he saw me, and pointed over to my right, where I noticed the start of a massive forest. Since he could see around what he was hiding behind, and I couldn't, he gave the signal when he was sure nobody was looking, and I dashed out from behind the house, jumped over the fence and into the forest, and we ran and ran through the forest.

Then the dream jumped, and my viewpoint (not my dreamcharacter) was catapulted up into the sky - it had become night and the forest had taken us from Florida to somewhere mountainous and cold and snowy. My viewpoint started falling back towards the forest, and I saw a few points of coloured light floating about - the one my viewpoint was heading straight towards was yellowish orange. I realized they were spy cameras, belonging to the people who'd locked me in the house.

The dream jumped again, and me and my friend had shapeshifted into polar bears, and we were skating about on a frozen lake that I'd seen while my viewpoint was in the sky, and I realized we needed to move further away from the spy cameras. I started skating away from the cameras, but then the dream jumped and I was some kind of bird (maybe a gannet), hovering over the lake which was now unfrozen, and watching my friend (in the shape of a crocodile) chasing a something in the shape of a tiny miniature orca, being followed by a bad guy in the shape of an otter.

The orca-thing dived deep, and my friend dived after it, and the otter dived after him - I plunge-dived into the water, and grabbed onto my friend's scales with my hands (somehow I had a human anatomy at the same time as having a gannet anatomy). We went so deep it became black, and then my friend shrugged me off his back and went off to chase the otter. I felt around a bit, and realized I was at the seabed. I found some small tiles lying on the sand with raised letters on them (they weren't in any script I've seen before), and then I thought "Where's the P?" I almost simply picked up each tile and swam back up to the light to see them, but then I thought "No, P is a thin letter, and this tile has a round letter".

Then I reached above my head, and opened the curtain on the skylight, to let in a bit of light, and I saw that the tiles had already been arranged into a sentence - "ON MOTHER'S WRIST". I looked to my right, and saw a woman who looked like Mrs Coulter from His Dark Materials (not like in the film, in the books), lying asleep on my bed, and she had a bracelet made of little red shards of stone on her wrist. I swiped it quickly off her, and ran back out into the sea, and kept running/swimming through the water until the dream jumped and I was swimming through the air towards an abandoned HSBC bank in the middle of a forest of pine trees.

I swam in between the planks of wood barring the door, and my real mother was there. She hugged me hello and said I needed to wash my sleeping bag, which I had apparently been carrying since Florida. I said "I know, I know", and swam through to the washing machine, and put my sleeping bag inside.

The dream jumped, and I was swimming towards a house in a small forest at the edge of the sea. I swam in through the kitchen window, and told the inhabitants that we needed to go up the mountain otherwise the bad guys would win. They were reluctant to go, because the father of the family was mentally ill and couldn't run. They said they'd do it tomorrow, and I made a compromise - if they would eat the grapes, chicken legs, and lettuce that I had found in a bin, then we could still win. They were more pleased with that, so they started eating, but I realized there wasn't enough to go around.

I looked out of the window and saw the sun setting, and swam up to it to try and pull it higher to give us more time. It didn't work, and then I saw another of the points of light that meant spy cameras, and I thought "Oh no," and then I woke up.

Then I fell back asleep, and the dream had jumped again, and this time it was early morning, and I was in Peru, running away from the bad guys down the dividing line of a huge motorway. Down the middle of this motorway was Cochin City - I had started running at the edge of the city, and as I ran north-east down the dividing line the more rural hilly farmland turned into flat city, and the sun got in my eyes a lot as it rose. The streets were wet too, and the light bouncing up from there made it even more difficult to see things. I ran for about ten minutes in dreamtime and then woke up again.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

I had a dream that was a lot like the old TV show The Tomorrow People (the US/Canada version, or was it Australian?), but I can't remember much about it.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Taisc mach Daró

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Those dogs that wanna play with me but are so big and strong that they are a danger more than something funny. Fortunately I woke up at time.
And another with a new house (a new house, again?) with a terrace and some railways next to it. High speed during the day and freight trains by night.

Both dreams in the same house. And economy thing, maybe. I'll talk to my brain later.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

I dreamt of reading and being in some Star Trek fanfic.

I also dreamt I was carrying boxes of books and had nowhere to put them, or needed to find a storage space because I was going to downtown Toronto.

Earthling
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Earthling »

Part of a long dream that I can't remember all of...

We had a lot of guests at our house, and we also had some bombs, which looked like simple sparks. There were three types of bombs, and my mom accidentally left one of the most powerful type sitting out in the yard. I realized it would cause the whole house to burn down, so I started getting everybody out of the house.
This post brought to your computer all the way from Earth.

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

I had a dream where there was a massive earthquake in eastern South America, which caused parts of Brazil and Argentina to move way inland. (enough that the change could easily be seen from space...) Oddly, the earthquake itself didn't seem to be that bad, aside from the migrating landmasses. The resultant tsunami, on the other hand... I hope you're okay with dealing with waves taller than skyscrapers. (or maybe mountains, I never actually saw them to scale with an object of known size, though the did completely dwarf a small island.) Also, I seem to remember the aurora being oddly strong...
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Lyhoko Leaci wrote:I had a dream where there was a massive earthquake in eastern South America, which caused parts of Brazil and Argentina to move way inland. (enough that the change could easily be seen from space...) Oddly, the earthquake itself didn't seem to be that bad, aside from the migrating landmasses. The resultant tsunami, on the other hand... I hope you're okay with dealing with waves taller than skyscrapers. (or maybe mountains, I never actually saw them to scale with an object of known size, though the did completely dwarf a small island.) Also, I seem to remember the aurora being oddly strong...
I hate disaster dreams like that. I had one about a volcanic eruption recently, which had spatters of red hot lava all over that I had to avoid.

I had a dream about a tsunami last year, the whole area was like a tropical island with a spit of land hanging out into the ocean. There was indications of the coming tsunami because the water receded. We took off from an aquaculture center and had to find a large tree to hide in.

Then the dream took a sort of from-above point of view, and I could see all of my group hiding in the tree as the waters tens of feet.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Taisc mach Daró

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Bristel wrote:I hate disaster dreams like that. I had one about a volcanic eruption recently, which had spatters of red hot lava all over that I had to avoid.

I had a dream about a tsunami last year, the whole area was like a tropical island with a spit of land hanging out into the ocean. There was indications of the coming tsunami because the water receded. We took off from an aquaculture center and had to find a large tree to hide in.

Then the dream took a sort of from-above point of view, and I could see all of my group hiding in the tree as the waters tens of feet.
Good thing the tsunami wasn't the same one that was in mine, as climbing a tree wouldn't help...

I had another dream where I was with two girls in some sort of city, and we were going to someplace. They took a van, while I flew. For whatever reason, my flying wasn't very good, though I could at least stay in the air, and ended up weaving between buildings and signs and stuff. (and though a window or three, oddly with no injuries) I ended up getting to the destination just as they pulled into the parking lot. Later, I borrowed the van and got it to fly as well (I actually had a controlled flight this time...) and followed some sort of monster that looked like a 5 story tall black bear or something, but it's legs were sticking out to the sides like an alligator's. Oddly, no one seemed to notice it, and it was surprisingly light, as it only did minimal damage to the buildings it crawled over. I followed it across several blocks, where the thing suddenly vanished, along with the entire block it was currently in. I circled around couple times and never found it. I did find the school and park or some other recognizable location that I remembered being just across the street when it vanished, but still that didn't help. So I just took the van back to the parking lot.
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

I had a bunch of dreams last night all along the same theme of trolls (the Scandinavian fairy sort, not the Internet sort).

The first one wasn't very clear, but it involved a bat-shaped troll inside a house, and it flew straight past me but I crouched and kept still so its echolocation would make me look like a rock or something, but then the person I was with screamed in fright, and the troll came back again and checked what was there. I was still keeping still, but it landed on my ear and bit me on the neck, waking me up out of fright/pain.

The second dream was more awesome. I was exploring in a forest with my sisters and some guy who I apparently had a crush on but who I thought didn't like me that way back. We were just exploring away, having a great time, and then we came to an empty doorframe, like the one Aslan sends the Telmarines and the Pevensie kids through in Prince Caspian. Since we were exploring, we decided to go through it. Nothing really seemed to happen, but the colour of the forest had changed to be more green and alive-looking - but it somehow didn't look right, so I was a bit nervous.

The forest was in a mountain, so we left the forest eventually, and ran all the way down the mountainside for fun. Then we realized we were in troll country, because there was a big stone lump thing in the shape of a troll. We kept exploring, because the sun was still up, through fields and countryside that all looked very fertile and green, but in an off way, and it was a bit unnerving. Then eventually we decided to head back, because the sun was going down.

We turned around and went back up the mountainside, but before we got into the forest the sun set, and the landscape turned into the interior of a troll palace, which we had been walking through without knowing since it only appears after dark. So now we were lost in a troll palace, and we were trying to follow the same path we'd taken while the palace wasn't there, so that we wouldn't lose our way to the doorframe, but we couldn't, because there weren't passageways in the right places and such like.

Then we came to a room where the door locked behind us, and there was no other way out except maybe via a rectangular hole in the floor. We peeked down the hole, and saw a big computerized laboratory-type room, with lots of blinking lights and strange control panels and things. My sisters decided to go down into the room via the lift, so they got onto the lift and went down, but as soon as they got halfway down to the floor, the lift stopped and a computer thing sprang to life and zapped them with something that fused them together into a half and half mixture of the two of them.

I got freaked out, but the guy I had a crush on told me to calm down and that we couldn't leave them like this without doing the same ourselves, so I calmed down. We got onto the lift and started going down, and then he grabbed me and started making out with me really hard, and we were sad because we wouldn't ever get to have sex because we'd be fused into one body. Then the computer zapped us and woke me up.

The third dream was another scary one like the first, but this time involving a massive spider-shaped troll attacking my legs (which were sticking out of the covers).

Earthling
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Earthling »

I had a dream involving a girl who thought she was just a character in a novel trilogy. She was flying through the air. That's all I can remember.

Then I dreamed that I was going to get married, but I got cold feet and ran away.
This post brought to your computer all the way from Earth.

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

All the hipsters were hanging out in Afghanistan. The latest trend was to hold shows and so forth in bombed-out buildings; there was something going on in the ruins of a church in Kandahar. But I decided to journey elsewhere and ended up in downtown Manhattan. I saw the bedraggled remnants of Occupy Wall Street: twenty or thirty people in red sweatshirts posed on top of a fountain, standing there as though frozen.

Later, I wandered through Coney Island in the midst of a giant music festival, going from room to room, from one outdoor stage to the next, looking for a girl who I'd seen performing.