The dream thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Re: The dream thread

Post by Pole, the »

Genome wrote:I had a dream last week were I was working on one of my conlangs and then I was in my conworld as a newborn. I lived my whole life there and spoke their language. I started a rebel army to overthrow a cheif at age 20ish, conquered most of the known world by the time I was 35ish, had my last kid of over 300 by the time I was 40ish, and died at the age of because of poisoning when I was 55ish. In a nutshell it was awesome.
1. Write a fantasy book about it.
2. Sell it.
3. ???
4. PROFIT
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Astraios wrote:
Thry wrote:why? that's what it means...
let's get rid of daydreaming, malsons, insomnia, somniloquy, and sonambulism too then.
Nooo, dumb. In Newt's conlang, obviously. If he's gonna "give Elmin a word for that", then he could at least give it a word, instead of just saying "dream-know".
I might, in anything but Elmin. How about a Kíndai word for it: shêthu, shéncsu "to dream-know"

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

Genome
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Genome »

Pole wrote:
Genome wrote:I had a dream last week were I was working on one of my conlangs and then I was in my conworld as a newborn. I lived my whole life there and spoke their language. I started a rebel army to overthrow a cheif at age 20ish, conquered most of the known world by the time I was 35ish, had my last kid of over 300 by the time I was 40ish, and died at the age of because of poisoning when I was 55ish. In a nutshell it was awesome.
1. Write a fantasy book about it.
2. Sell it.
3. ???
4. PROFIT
I'll put that on my to do list right after deciding what to do with that extra money.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

I keep having dreams where I have to rescue my professors from deadly situations. I had one last year where my semantics+pragmatics professor was being held in a massive underground cavern and my old D&D group had to go rescue him because there was an army of faceless nurses slowly injecting poison into his veins, and they chased us down the corridors while we frantically struggled to get him out of there. A few weeks ago I had a dream where I was a lifeguard on a beach and I saw the same guy out in the water drowning, so I went and rescued him, and when I got back to shore I looked out and there were two of him drowning, and I kept rescuing him and he kept multiplying. And then last week, I had a dream where assassins were trying to murder a different professor and I had to thwart them without letting him know, so I had to follow him around a giant building made almost completely out of glass without being detected and systematically incapacitate the assassins who were after him. I actually remember having a similar dream about him about a year ago, but I don't remember much of that.

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

I dreamt about the ZBB... I was reading a thread where the creator of the conlang Canarian (from some time ago, Dhokarena?) posted about two conlangs; the first of which was a revamped Canarian called "New Veli" and had a conscript which included colourful logograms, three of which struck me as weird on the account of being pink pig parts - the snout, the leg and the hoof.

What the fuck?

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Take your time to rest properly, Thry. : P
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

Jamón for Christmas?
It was about time I changed this.

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

Izambri wrote:Take your time to rest properly, Thry. : P
I'M FINE

okay I'm going to bed
ol bofosh wrote:Jamón for Christmas?
just had some today
yummy

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I had the weirdest dream: because I was kicked out of my house by the landlord I ended up naked walking through the streets trying to find housing and clothes: so i stole some pants and boxers and worked for a jacket for a while. Then somehow I was allowed to sleep in this bed that was simply a bed in a room fool of beds. I whipped out my laptop and started living there. So eventually some friends of mine, which included a bunch of people from the deep past, melanges of actual people i know, and two chicks who were pretty damned hot and internet celebrity TotalBiscuit came to see me and we went into a large ship for a party. Then, coming back, we played tabletop games in my dorm for a while and, when it was over, the people on the dorm put me on some sort of radio trial for my crimes, which included being a noisy son of a bitch but also the sinking of the ship, the two hot girls drowning, and other stuff: I would try to use my charisma to make the charges go away, but apparently failed. That sequence was weird as fuck, like, an announcer would accuse me of my crimes in a flamboyant, radio show way and then I was given the mike to defend myself. So I went around first emphasizing my lack of understanding of what was happening around me: i asked some random lady from the audience whether i was free to leave, an old guy what were the possible penalties i faced, i commended the community for their strange but cool way to judge its members and then I was starting to make my case for why I wasn't guilty, even though I believed I was and was ready to face my penalty [which was leaving the community, or at least the dorm i was living in]. My strategy was to provide a good show and be employed by the radio, since it obviously had become the dominant force in that society, and if I lost the trial fuck it. I was somehow able to summon a marching band to stop the crowd from booing me.

Visually the community was huge: there were thousands of people and it kind of looked like the mega buildings in judge dredd or huge proyects, you know, a shitload of low-end social housing where poor people lived in pretty crowded conditions. Everywhere I went <the mike was weirdly wireless> people would be at balconies and windows or benches or whatever, chanting replies to whatever i said.

Themes seem to have been acceptance and homelessness... i woke up feeling pretty good and well rested.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Again that subterranean, dark, claustrophobic amusement park from which one can't easily get away. This time with a subway station equally rambling.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

I dreamt Torco and I were riding the New York subway. We were on the [gray-3] line, and had to get off at the end of the line (some mall) because they were going to put the cars away. But I forgot a book on the train, so I had to somehow get it, and then I lost Torco.

Jess
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Jess »

A pretty frequent theme in my dreams: I am trying to do a very simple task but it takes an absurdly long time. For instance, I dreamt I was trying to make a sandwich, but every time I looked away it would "reset" to an earlier stage and I'd have to re-do steps (often thinking things like "Didn't I put the meat on already? How did I forget to do that?"), or it would change form completely like going from typical sliced bread to a hoagie roll to a tortilla. I would think "almost done, just one more step" and then afterward realize I had another thing to do after all. It felt like it took me almost an hour to make that damn sandwich. I think I'd almost rather have a standard nightmare than a dream about mundane frustration! :roll:
Exits, pursued by a bear.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Shm Jay wrote:I dreamt Torco and I were riding the New York subway. We were on the [gray-3] line, and had to get off at the end of the line (some mall) because they were going to put the cars away. But I forgot a book on the train, so I had to somehow get it, and then I lost Torco.
Mwahahahahah! I are elusive !

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Some strange man told me the Hindi word for "ritually impure" was /tʌnt/, though that could have been [ṭʌnt] . Yes, I know what it rhymes with. Also, if you put cardamom in a bowl of water, it makes colours on the ceiling.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

I remembered my dream today!

We were going to the Bank of the United States in Chicago (I kept referring to it as the "Bus", and apparently found great humour in that.) We walked a large part of the distance there, so everyone was really tired when we got there, and had to go sit down on benches. There were plaques on the walls, commemorating the five women of Duran Duran (one of them was named something like "Nothing Natalie".) NPR was playing the news, only it was a really old show, and apparently there was a show called "English", where they told a news story (about a scientist who failed a gene splicing) and then acted it out, right behind the five tellers. By putting a boy in some huge coffin-thing that was decorated to look all sciencey (and would not have been out of place in an old episode of Doctor Who.)

Phew. Explain that.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

It means you'll get swallowed by a black fish on the night of the next new moon, unless you run down the street naked at midnight tonight chanting Pie Iesu in falsetto and smeared with the blood of freshly sacrificed crustaceans.

I dreamt Jerusalem was in Japan, probably because right before sleeping I was watching Code Geass (in which Britain is in America and is occupying Japan).

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

I don't normally contribute here, but this one seems worth noting: the other night I dreamt I was somewhere, went somewhere else, and then cam back to where I'd been before.
[Specifically, I was in some sort of restaurant/bar, and was talking to some people, but then I went off to the toilets. When I got there, I found there were horribly murdered bodies there, about half a dozen of them. So, naturally, I decided to let people know about this, and headed back. Now, I ended up going by a different route to get back - it turns out that as well as the one 'room' (or area, anyway), there was another one next to it (I think I'd been in the restaurant and was now in the bar area), but I managed to go through there to the front entrance of the place and back into the restaurant and back to my friends and told them about the corpses]
This is extraordinary for me. It's pretty much a universal rule that if I go somewhere in a dream, I can't go back, certainly not if i'd had more than about three thoughts in the meantime, and never once I've realised it's taking me a while to get back [the exceptions are where I'm in a very familiar place, mostly the house I grew up in, occassionally my school]. But this time, I did.
[Of course, then the person I was telling about the corpses changed identities twice while I was talking to him, had turned into some sort of shady syrian businessman by the time he actually headed off to see for himself, and then I teleported back in time to before he'd headed off, and then talked to him while we watched him heading off (by which I mean he and I sitting down were talking about him going to see the bodies while watching him leave to see the bodies). So by subconscious hasn't quite gotten the hang of space and time just yet. But it's a start!]
[[Also, the 'restaurant' area actually had its own bar, which we were at, as well as the bar area next door, which was packed, and for some reason the restaurant area was elevated compared to the bar area - as you came in the door you could go down a couple of steps to the front/left to go into the narrow bar area, or through an open doorway up a couple of steps to the front/right to go into the huge wide open largely uninhabited restaurant area (and then down the steps again at the back to go to the toilets, which were shared with the bar. I've no idea why I felt that that sort of layout made any particular sense. I can only assume that maybe there were originally two different buildings at slightly different heights, and some developer had knocked them into two?]]
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

I like the idea of the Five Women of Duran Duran. It sounds like a lost Bertolt Brecht play.

R.Rusanov
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by R.Rusanov »

The Boot in New Orleans has a raised area in the bar. Maybe you were a socialite in a past life.
Slava, čĭstŭ, hrabrostĭ!

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Shm Jay wrote:I like the idea of the Five Women of Duran Duran. It sounds like a lost Bertolt Brecht play.
Yeah, it was something I dream-knew: that the members of Duran Duran were five women, instead of whatever they actually are.

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

I dreamed I was on vacation and travelling through Egypt, Syria, Iran, Afghanistan and what might have been Kashmir.
My subconscious' idea of good tourist destination is a bit worrying.

Terra
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Terra »

This morning, I dreamed that I went back in time, and went on a school field-trip to a fair-ground (this never actually happened) with people from university, and some of them were going to murder somebody, and the police were there and knew it was going to happen, but they didn't know who was going to do it, so I told them (because I was from the future and knew who), but they didn't believe me. Somehow, this ended with me chasing and being chased by the antagonists on snowmobiles (it was winter) and shooting at them and being shot at.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Not as good as the last one, but...

There were two parts to this dream. And the first part was about doors. Doors everywhere. I don't even remember why (it might have had something to do with monsters... but these were not Monsters Inc type doors.) Eventually I came somehow into a house that was full of doors. And in all the weirdest places. And I was obsessed with them. (I remember demonstrating that one of the passages to the outside had not one, not two, not three, but four doors in a row. And one next to them.) I came out of that one with a strong feeling of déjà vu about having dreamed about the house before.

The second one was about Rhetorica. I don't remember why, but it was a grey and stormy day (night?) and a lot of us were going (marching? advancing?) somewhere, only I, despite my efforts, was left behind. Actually, it had a lot more to do with the name "Rhetorica", although she did appear in the dream. I can't remember if she was going or staying.

So, doors, and Rhetorica. Take that, Freud.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

That means you'll have to walk through doors, interact with Rhetorica, and walk somewhere in the rain at some point in the future.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

This morning I had a weird dream.

It began with an image of an Elven city on my computer (I actually used to have a rendition of Gondolin by Ted Nasmith as desktop wallpaper for a while). This image came to life, and soon I found myself in that city. It was a beautiful place, the weather was fine, the people were fair and merry, the grass was green and a band performed music in the style of Yes (yes, they did have electric guitars and keyboards). But after a while, the dream took a sinister bend. I was told that the Elves were preparing for a war. They showed me first an assortment of high-tech weaponry, then a stack of huge vats in which clone soldiers and fearsome-looking monsters were grown.

Then I woke up.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A