Seahorses, I Love 'Em (& other Links of Interest)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
frumpwallow
Sanci
Sanci

Post by frumpwallow »

i thought i had posted one of these before, but a scan of the thread tells me otherwise, so here it is. if i have posted it before, sorry.

save the pacific northwest tree octopus.
if you enjoy that, go to his main page here and have a look around. you'll find yourself enlightened on many subjects, such as: belgium doesn't exist, and the lifecycle of black helicopters (scroll down for a diagram.

and heres a "scientist" (or a "chemist," depending on which video you watch) discussing at great length many of the ways that creationism is the only possible truth. truthmakesfree. i advise watching all of his videos, ust not all at once. youll get a headache, trust me. videos of particular hilarity/agony are here and here.

finally, this is a long article, and total bullshit, but it actually makes for a really good read. yakutia's valley of death.
"I want pancakes!! You people understand every language except English! Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez-moi pancakes! Click-click-bloody-click pancakes!!!"

bi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by bi »

ils:

About the Mitchells' `decryption' of the Rosslyn Chapel decorations: "Chladni patterns" (which the Reuters article calls an "ancient musical system") are simply natural patterns which result when fine material (e.g. sand) is sprinkled on a surface and the whole thing is then excited with a sound wave -- and the exact patterns depend not only on the sound, but also on the shape of the plate, and probably its size too.

There's a discussion on this Rosslyn Chapel `decryption' at the JREF Forum -- the consensus there is that it's all bogus, and I'm inclined to agree.
[img]http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/9899/t4nu8.gif[/img]

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

bi wrote:the consensus there is that it's all bogus, and I'm inclined to agree.
Ahhh, too bad.
Oh THAT'S why I was on hiatus. Right. Hiatus Mode re-engaged.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

In Smog and Thunder, propaganda posters from the Great War of the Californias, and Neo-Ruins, visions of a post-apocalyptic Tokyo (both found via The City Desk, a fascinating blog about an unnamed fictional city).

The Yoshida Brothers do truly awesome things with the shamisen.

simon.clarkstone
Sanci
Sanci

Post by simon.clarkstone »

ils wrote:In Smog and Thunder, propaganda posters from the Great War of the Californias, and Neo-Ruins, visions of a post-apocalyptic Tokyo (both found via The City Desk, a fascinating blog about an unnamed fictional city).

The Yoshida Brothers do truly awesome things with the shamisen.
Alt-world artifacts FTW!

I often like things that are pictures/writings/whatever from an alternative history/future.

* Demands a t-shirt saying: "11/9/2001, 7/7/2005, 6/8/2007: We shall not forget".

Okay, this post has no useful content. So what?
Thi sisaf akecon langbu tno onec antell. Ia mwor kingo nare aloneb utver yslo wly. :(
Kigdatsi/Humans of Su-0-0: Gae/nosf S5 Dnho Om Tc/m CL/-- SE1 CD4-3 CC1/5 CO5/1 E3 Pe,f

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

interesting choice of date there. 62 years.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Mr. Sprinkles vs. the Zooblepoof Coalition. If Dr. Seuss had written 24, it might have looked like this.

More in the animated vein: the slightly creepy but brilliantly done Dollface.

Priscilla Renea sings the dictionary. A girl after my own heart.

Say hello to an office. An office (I think maybe it's in Madrid?) has rigged up a billboard to broadcast "hello" messages to its workers. Type one in and you can watch your shout out come up in realtime. (There's nobody working at the moment, though.)

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

simon.clarkstone wrote:I often like things that are pictures/writings/whatever from an alternative history/future.
Paleo-futures are neat, too.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

ils wrote: Paleo-futures are neat, too.
I laughed, till I saw This one.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

GivenOfTheSabbath
Niš
Niš

Post by GivenOfTheSabbath »

Mr. Sprinkles is both horrible and delightful.

bi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by bi »

ils:

The main problem, I feel, is with the clothing -- did Hildebrands get the idea that in the 21st century, people will wear largely the same kinds of clothes as in the beginning of the 20th century? (At least our modern sci-fi movies, for all their cheesiness, don't fall into this error... oh wait, maybe they do too. Shucks.) Trends in apparel are probably mighty hard to predict, but I wonder why they didn't make the folks wear something that's just, well, different. The women can wear stuff that look like chitons, for example.

News: You can now certify yourself as a Domestic Terrorist and get a free trip to Gitmo.
[img]http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/9899/t4nu8.gif[/img]

Soren
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Soren »

Somebody linked to some of these photos on #isharia yesterday, but I thought it was worth posting them here as well. They're from the US in the early 1940s.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

Wycoval
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Wycoval »

"petit larceny" hehe. I wonder if the cop used the old line "Son, you got a panty on your head."
[size=200]☧[/size]

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

Wycoval wrote:
"petit larceny" hehe. I wonder if the cop used the old line "Son, you got a panty on your head."
Quite. I saw that on the news last night and cracked up.

He WAS drunk, but still...xD

tron cat
Sanci
Sanci

Post by tron cat »

The strange world of mail art.
formerly known as weldingfish

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Bizarre taxidermy art.

Old-timey Star Wars. (I particularly recommend the adventures of "Benjamin Kenobi, Space Knight of the Future!") Also links to an interesting series of videos retelling the story of WWII in Star Wars style.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

if you enjoy that, go to his main page here and have a look around. you'll find yourself enlightened on many subjects, such as: belgium doesn't exist, and the lifecycle of black helicopters (scroll down for a diagram.
Interesting (to say the least) article on the black helicopter; reminds me of some of my crazier ideas for the bioships and übertech.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Jackalopes are real! (But Planet Unicorn is fictional.)

A trailer for Blossoms of Fire, a fascinating-looking documentary about the Zapotec culture.

A plan for a single-storey skyscraper.

The bizarre Lake Nyos Disaster in Cameroon, 1986, provided revelations about geology.

When breakdancing goes wrong.

Space Dracula
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Space Dracula »

<Dudicon> i would but you're too fat to fit in my mouth!!

simon.clarkstone
Sanci
Sanci

Post by simon.clarkstone »

ISTR this idea came up when a page about the same phenomenon on human hands was posted recently.
ils wrote:A plan for a single-storey skyscraper.
I am sure there are several of those around already. My father worked in a building like that (but square), and I think the "gherkin" building in London is one too. However, they are only a few stories tall.
Thi sisaf akecon langbu tno onec antell. Ia mwor kingo nare aloneb utver yslo wly. :(
Kigdatsi/Humans of Su-0-0: Gae/nosf S5 Dnho Om Tc/m CL/-- SE1 CD4-3 CC1/5 CO5/1 E3 Pe,f

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

simon.clarkstone wrote:
ils wrote:A plan for a single-storey skyscraper.
I am sure there are several of those around already.
Yes, several examples came up in their comments thread as well.

Just happened across a great moment in absurd history while looking for something else: The Second Defenestration of Prague (thank you Salmoneus), proximate trigger of the Thirty Years War. (The First Defenestration of Prague is referenced here.)
Last edited by - on Tue May 22, 2007 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

The Second Defenestration of Prague, rather. And actually, iirc there were a number of less famous Defenestrations of Prague before the first and between the first and second, that never made it into the Canonical Numbering for Defenestrations of Prague.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Salmoneus wrote:The Second Defenestration of Prague, rather. And actually, iirc there were a number of less famous Defenestrations of Prague before the first and between the first and second, that never made it into the Canonical Numbering for Defenestrations of Prague.
It makes me wonder -- have any other cities had famous defenestrations? If not, why Prague? Or are people in Prague just more prone to take note of defenestration?

Alioth
Niš
Niš

Post by Alioth »

Gay flamingo couple adopts -- courtesy of candrodor.