Venting thread that still excludes eddy (2)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Re: Venting thread that embraces everyone without distinctio

Post by linguoboy »

Torco wrote:Oh, I don't even set foot in indian food joints.
Generally I don't have much trouble. They're usually good at labeling what's spicy and what's not, and I know the cuisine well enough to know what's safe to order.

This place was exceptional. There was no point identifying any dishes as "spicy" because everything was, down to the condiments. (The only exceptions were the bread and the lassi.) I was just like, "Oh well, it's a Pepto night anyway, so let's go on and dive in."

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

linguoboy wrote:(For those not familiar with it, it typically contains both chili pepper and hot paprika.)
Really? I checked Wikipedia, and it's funny to see that the Dutch and English pages disagree about the common ingredients. All Dutch sources I can find only mention ordinary paprika and black pepper, but not hot paprika or chili pepper, though the English Wikipedia page does mention hot paprika and chili pepper.

JAL

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

jal wrote:
linguoboy wrote:(For those not familiar with it, it typically contains both chili pepper and hot paprika.)
Really? I checked Wikipedia, and it's funny to see that the Dutch and English pages disagree about the common ingredients. All Dutch sources I can find only mention ordinary paprika and black pepper, but not hot paprika or chili pepper, though the English Wikipedia page does mention hot paprika and chili pepper.

JAL
I think it may be a US macho food thing. I don't have any right now to check, but I'm familiar with ras el hanout as a very mildly spiced, aromatic mixture - nutmeg, cinnamon, rose petals, paprika, etc - not something to blow your tongue off. [I don't really think of chilli peppers as a big part of north african traditional cuisine in general, though I'm certainly no expert!]
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Crashes always come after even the smallest highs, and today's been no exception.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Well, I am definitely going to have to learn to understand Indian English, which I barely understand.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Salmoneus wrote:
jal wrote:

JAL
I think it may be a US macho food thing. I don't have any right now to check, but I'm familiar with ras el hanout as a very mildly spiced, aromatic mixture - nutmeg, cinnamon, rose petals, paprika, etc - not something to blow your tongue off. [I don't really think of chilli peppers as a big part of north african traditional cuisine in general, though I'm certainly no expert!]
Eine Beispiel der Verwendung Chilipfeffers in nordafrikanische Küche ist Harissa, wobei die Hauptzutate ist eine Mischung verschiedene Pfeffer.
An example of the usage of chili peppers in North African cuisine is harissa where a mixture of different peppers is the main ingredient.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

This is not the nifty practice thread, but I hope you don't mind me correcting your German:
jmcd wrote:Eine Beispiel für die Verwendung von Chilipfeffers in der nordafrikanischen Küche ist Harissa, wobei die Hauptzutate ist eine Mischung verschiedener Pfeffersorten ist.
An example of the usage of chili peppers in North African cuisine is harissa where a mixture of different peppers is the main ingredient.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Darn German adjectives...

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

This is my first post in a long while. This seems like the best thread to put this post. I'm not posting this because I expect pity or because I expect people here to give a fuck about the utter travesty of existence I call my life, I just really wanted to say this.

I can barely tell the days apart at this rate. I get up, I go to campus and to the classes, but...nothing feels different. I spend all my time on the internet or playing games, but I feel no better for it. When I lose myself in writing, I feel better, but besides that I barely feel alive. I'm a hollow shell going through the motions.

Today I learned that the first essay of my Composition class was due. I didn't know this. Now I have a zero on a major grade. Normally, I would be freaking out, but I can't even get the energy to give a fuck anymore. I just bailed from the class right as the teacher asked for papers and am now writing this. I don't even want to face him the next time class meets.

The only reason I'm in college is because my parents are pretty much forcing me to go. They still adhere to that old "if you get a degree then a job will magically fall in your lap and you'll be rich as hell!" bullshit. My parents are killing themselves just to *pay* for college and yet they feel like I have to go. It was either "go to college" or "get thrown out into the street" for me.

I just want to lie in bed all day. Every day, when I wake up, getting out of bed is the most mentally draining thing I do. Every day is just "how can the mental illnesses swirling through my psyche fuck something up today?"

Some stupid part of my brain forces me to keep going, ever optimistic even as my family literally falls apart at the seems, my mother giving into her alcoholism and narcissism, my father working himself to death only to earn two-thirds of what he used to earn...and I just don't plain give a fuck about anything anymore.

I have one friend whom I can meet once a week at most. No one in my family gives a fuck and I'm emotionally distant from all of them anyway.

Every day of my life is a slow grind towards a future whose prospects I know nothing of. I'm scared. This is the only thing I can even muster emotion for: the terror at what my future holds.

I just want all the pain and doubt to end. The main reason I haven't killed myself is because I literally cannot muster up the energy to do so. Suicide requires an intense desire to die. I don't have desire. I'm a hollow shell devoid of any feeling, negative or positive, save for the pain of death and anxiety over my future.

If you actually read all this shit, uh thanks? Feel free to call me a whiny bitch or a histrionic drama queen, I don't care. I wouldn't have it in me to even get mad. It's like I've reached Depresson Nirvana. Bodhi-fucking-sattva of Utter Apathy right here, folks.

Fuck I hate myself.
Nūdhrēmnāva naraśva, dṛk śraṣrāsit nūdhrēmanīṣṣ iźdatīyyīm woḥīm madhēyyaṣṣi.
satisfaction-DEF.SG-LOC live.PERFECTIVE-1P.INCL but work-DEF.SG-PRIV satisfaction-DEF.PL.NOM weakeness-DEF.PL-DAT only lead-FUT-3P

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Time to get help. Can you go to a campus counsellor or something?

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Chagen wrote:Fuck I hate myself.
I'm sorry you feel that way.

JAL

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

hwhatting wrote:This is not the nifty practice thread, but I hope you don't mind me correcting your German:
jmcd wrote:Eine Beispiel für die Verwendung von Chilipfeffers in der nordafrikanischen Küche ist Harissa, wobei die Hauptzutate ist eine Mischung verschiedener Pfeffersorten ist.
Jedes Thema soll das Geschickte Übung Thema sein. Das Stellen von 'ist' sollte ich schon kennen, wenn ich genug Zeit gehabt hätte.
Every thread should be the nifty practice thread. The placement of 'ist', I should've got already, had I taken enough time.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

So, compounded with the fact that people can't seem to get my online handle right and I'm clearly a misogynistic pig, my advisor suggested that I be first author on an article we've been working on (I omitted my name from the first draft of the article, so he put me in from draft #3 as second author). I said sure. We, of course, didn't ask one of the other people, the one who was originally first author, who then sent an aggressive e-mail blaming me for the change and implying that I'm worthless and don't contribute at all. Week's been going great, I'd say.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

jmcd wrote:Jedes Thema soll das Geschickte-Übung-Thema sein. Die Stellung von 'ist' hätte ich schon hinkriegen sollen, wenn ich mir genug Zeit genommen hätte.
Every thread should be the nifty practice thread. The placement of 'ist', I should've got already, had I taken enough time.
geschickt doesn't look like the best translation for "nifty" in this context, but I can't think of anything better right now.

@Chagen: I can only agree with Finlay, try to get some treatment. I know some depressive people, this is not something you can manage on your own, and while treatment might not make depression go away totally, it will enable you to enjoy life much more than you seem to do now.

@vampireshark: Just tell that other guy what you just told us, and say you're sorry. If that's not enough for him, he's obviously a jerk and jerks can't be helped.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

A friend of mine who lectures at the local university asked me to be on a panel in a month on the topic of the Irish language. I told him I didn't feel qualified, but he assured me that they were looking for the perspective of a learner/enthusiast and it would be fine.

I had a look at the schedule today and saw that I'm listed alongside two professional educators as "Boyle's friend". Fucking hell.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

hwhatting wrote:
jmcd wrote:Jedes Thema soll das Geschickte-Übung-Thema sein. Die Stellung von 'ist' hätte ich schon hinkriegen sollen, wenn ich mir genug Zeit genommen hätte.
geschickt doesn't look like the best translation for "nifty" in this context, but I can't think of anything better right now.
Perhaps "nifty"? At least, my experience of overhearing young Germans is that when in doubt they just use an English word...

vampire: oh, terribly sorry! I wasn't really focusing on your part of that argument, so I got you mixed up with the other "vampire + s-word" member we have(/had?). Will edit.

lb: well, that's better than being listed as a professor! "Boyle's friend" is a great title - not only is nothing expected of you (not drooling sounds like it would exceed expectations), but if they're somehow still not satisfied it's not your fault, it's that idiot Boyle...

What's the panel about, by the way? Language revitalisation, oder?

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Salmoneus wrote:lb: well, that's better than being listed as a professor! "Boyle's friend" is a great title - not only is nothing expected of you (not drooling sounds like it would exceed expectations), but if they're somehow still not satisfied it's not your fault, it's that idiot Boyle...
If only it were just my title, but it's my ENTIRE IDENTIFICATION. I kept expecting him to shoot me an e-mail or something to make sure he had the correct spelling of my surname and all. This is what I get for not being more proactive.

On the positive side, I can give any name I want now and no one will be able to track me down on Facebook or wherever.
Salmoneus wrote:What's the panel about, by the way? Language revitalisation, oder?
The title is "Is the Irish language important?" So it will cover revitalisation, I'm sure, but I guess what I'm supposed to talk about is why people in the US care about it enough to learn it (or say they're going to). I plan to contact the other participants and find out what their agenda is, if any.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Salmoneus wrote:
hwhatting wrote:geschickt doesn't look like the best translation for "nifty" in this context, but I can't think of anything better right now.
Perhaps "nifty"? At least, my experience of overhearing young Germans is that when in doubt they just use an English word...
I have to go catch some of these kids on my lawn to interrogate them about this...

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

Chagen wrote:It's like I've reached Depresson Nirvana. Bodhi-fucking-sattva of Utter Apathy right here, folks.
Same here, let me know if you (ever) find a cure/way around. In the past at least I was able to function even if swinging into deep depression (and barely surviving the urge to off myself) every now and then whereas for years now I feel the Depression Nirvana/Bodhi-fucking-sattva of Utter Apathy and I feel trapped, so trapped it's literally maddening.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Io wrote:Same here, let me know if you (ever) find a cure/way around. In the past at least I was able to function even if swinging into deep depression (and barely surviving the urge to off myself) every now and then whereas for years now I feel the Depression Nirvana/Bodhi-fucking-sattva of Utter Apathy and I feel trapped, so trapped it's literally maddening.
Sorry to hear that, too. Did you seek treatment?

JAL

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

Because I'm an idiot, I managed to get depressed at one point by convincing myself of the possibility that Terra and company might be right in order to argue against them more effectively.

I don't think cheap tricks like this will do any good with respect to actual clinical depression, but here's how I managed to pull myself out of the hole using my desire to not be depressed:

Step 1. Eat.

Force yourself to eat well. If you dont feel hungry, don't think of it as food. Think of it as longevity medicine or whatever.

Eat lots of protein, take vitamin supplements and drink electrolytes. Just eat MealSquares or something if that's too much effort.

Step 2. Do.

By this point, you will feel a lot of energy, but you still won't feel any specific desires. That's not a problem because you will feel a lot of fleeting impulses.

As long as you keep Doing, the desires will come eventually all by themselves. Remember that while both are important, energy comes first, sense second.

Step 3. Train.

Next you will have to train your impulses so that the activities you are ceaselessly engaging in are actually semi-meaningful to you. Give in to your impulses, but whenever in doubt (because of conflicting impulses), always try to select the higher pleasures.

This might take a while. If you're in a frightful state, years perhaps.

Step 4. Flow.

Try and achieve flow in your Doing. You have seen glimpses of this while writing.

If you can achieve flow while losing yourself in activity, you will find happiness. I think this is the central insight people like Voltaire were aiming for when the said salvation lies in work. (Candide, e.g.)
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I'm getting sick of living in this house and I want out. Moving is not a simple process, though. First I need to find somewhere, and it's going to be time-consuming and very expensive...

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

The damn cat pissed on my thongs this morning. But that wasn't the worst of it. That was walking around on them for ten minutes before it occurred to me to check why they felt so slippery. The soles of my feet still feel slimy.

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

Talk about a garden path... well, maybe not a garden path. Just forgot for a minute that "thong" means other things in other parts of the world and was thinking that was awfully TMI!
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

alynnidalar wrote:Just forgot for a minute that "thong" means other things in other parts of the world and was thinking that was awfully TMI!
What does it mean, when it's not a kind of underwear?