ZBB member photos, part 5. (Something for the weekend, sir?)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Re: ZBB member photos, part 5. (Gayer than rainbows and kitt

Post by Imralu »

Bristel wrote:On se niin väärin!
Mikä on väärä?
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Imralu wrote:
Mikä on väärä?
Haluan että paita! :)
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Teidän kielenkäyttö on väärin. :wink:
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Last edited by Imralu on Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Aeetlrcreejl wrote:Minä haluan tuota paitaa. (I want to buy that shirt.)
Minä = 1SG
haluan = want.1SG
tuota = that.DEM.SG.PARTITIVE
paitaa = shirt.SG.PARTITIVE

"I want that shirt."

The verb haluta, 'to want', takes objects in the partitive case. As far as I can tell, this sentence is correct.
Bristel wrote:
Imralu wrote:
Mikä on väärä?
Haluan että paita! :)
haluan = want.1SG
että = that.COMPLEMENTIZER
paita = shirt.SG.NOM

"I want the shirt to" / "I want that the shirt"

Mitä haluat, että paita tekee?

mitä = what?.PARTITIVE
haluat = want.2SG
että = that.COMPLEMENTIZER
paita = shirt.SG.NOM
tekee = does (3SG of tehdä)

"What do you want the shirt to do?"

Käytit Google-kääntäjää, niinkö? Do you know the difference between a demonstrative and a complementizer?

Suomalaiset, olkaa hyvä ja kertokaa minulle, jos kaikki, jonka olen kirjoittanut, on oikein.
________
MY MUSIC

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Mann, = man,
es = 3SN.NOM
w<ä>re = be.PST<SUBJ>-3S
echt = really
übersichtlicher, = clearly_laid_out-COMP,
wenn = if
du = 2S.NOM
das = that.N.SG.ACC
alles = all-N.SG.ACC
in = in
eine = one-F.SG.ACC
Zeile = line
statt = instead
untereinander = under_one_another
schreiben = write-INF
w<ü>rdest. = be.PST<SUBJ>-2S

trollface.jpg

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Guitarplayer wrote:trollface.jpg
S
o
r
r
y
!

Das
mach
ich
nicht
weiter.

I hate not being able to match the gloss to the morpheme spatially across the page (and I'm too lazy to use the code feature). When you've got full-stops and hyphens, I find it really hard to count the number of words from the left side to work out which part of the gloss corresponds to which word. That's why I've been using colours and numbers lately.
________
MY MUSIC

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Imralu: What happened to your beard?
And, also, a lot of my friends up in Wisconsin complained about their propensity for being scorched by the sun rather easily thanks to having the typical ginger complexion. I'm not surprised, as it seems like you qualify as a ginger.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Imralu wrote:I hate not being able to match the gloss to the morpheme spatially across the page
Point for you. So much for Übersichtlichkeit :?

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

vampireshark wrote:Imralu: What happened to your beard?
That's a few years old. I'm still bearded.
vampireshark wrote:And, also, a lot of my friends up in Wisconsin complained about their propensity for being scorched by the sun rather easily thanks to having the typical ginger complexion. I'm not surprised, as it seems like you qualify as a ginger.
I certainly do. Would you like to see my member card?
Guitarplayer wrote:Übersichtlichkeit
Cognate mapped: Oversightlihood ...
________
MY MUSIC

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

hi i'm a pile of hair
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

o hai Cousin Itt

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

@Imralu: You're still hot.

@Hair: You're less so.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Kind of disturbing...

JAL

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Imralu wrote:
Aeetlrcreejl wrote:Minä haluan tuota paitaa. (I want to buy that shirt.)
Minä = 1SG
haluan = want.1SG
tuota = that.DEM.SG.PARTITIVE
paitaa = shirt.SG.PARTITIVE

"I want that shirt."

The verb haluta, 'to want', takes objects in the partitive case. As far as I can tell, this sentence is correct.
Actually it can take either case. It's supposed to be "minä haluan tuon paidan", because otherwise he's implying that he just wants to borrow it for a while, or something. Hmm, the partitive-nominative stuff is a bit tricky. :wink:
Imralu wrote:Mikä on väärä?
This means "which one is wrong?" Väärä is an adjective, while väärin is an adverb.
Imralu wrote:Käytit Google-kääntäjää, niinkö?
Just a nitpick: I would say "...eikö niin?" (isn't it so?) rather than "is that so?"

Yeah lol, I've been playing around with Google translate lately. "Se on niin hirveen karvanen" (it is so damn hairy) becomes "It is such a moose coat". :o

Anyway, otherwise your Finnish was really good actually.
My most recent quiz:

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

#Kereb: right on!

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Qwynegold wrote:
This means "which one is wrong?" Väärä is an adjective, while väärin is an adverb.
Well, I actually meant something like that because I didn't know if he was referring the "Minä haluan tuota paitaa" or "Sano moi! Opin suomen kieltä ja haluan puhua." That was completely by mistake though. I knew that väärä is an adjective and väärin is an adverb, but I don't understand how using an adverb can make it mean "what" and using an adjective can make it mean "which" ... Can I say "Kumpi on väärä?"

What I understand even less when to use the partitive for predicate adjectives. I have a book that gives these examples.
Tämä musiikki on kaunista - "This music is beautiful(PART)"
Tämä laulu on kaunis. - "This song is beautiful(NOM)."

Is it because in the second sentence, we're saying that this entire song is beautiful but in the first we're not saying that all music is beautiful, only this music? But then, we are saying tämä laulu as well ... so it's just as specified as with "musiikki" ... so is this something to do with countable and uncountable. Are these sentences also correct?:

Musiikki on kaunis - "Music (in general) is beautiful(NOM)"
Nämä laulut ovat kauniitten/kauniiden - "These songs are beautiful.(PART.PL)"

I haven't used Finnish for a few years and I've forgotten almost all of my vocabulary :-( It's really weird looking back at Emails I wrote in Finnish and trying to work out what a lot of words mean from the context ... I mean, *I* wrote that.
Anyway, otherwise your Finnish was really good actually.
Kiitos kertomasta minulle :-)
________
MY MUSIC

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Imralu wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:
Well, I actually meant something like that because I didn't know if he was referring the "Minä haluan tuota paitaa" or "Sano moi! Opin suomen kieltä ja haluan puhua." That was completely by mistake though. I knew that väärä is an adjective and väärin is an adverb, but I don't understand how using an adverb can make it mean "what" and using an adjective can make it mean "which" ... Can I say "Kumpi on väärä?"
Oh I see, then "kumpi on väärin?" would have been better. :wink: It's difficult to say what exactly the difference is, but IMO väärin is used when there's something wrong with a thing, while väärä is used when you have picked the wrong option.
Imralu wrote:What I understand even less when to use the partitive for predicate adjectives. I have a book that gives these examples.
Tämä musiikki on kaunista - "This music is beautiful(PART)"
Tämä laulu on kaunis. - "This song is beautiful(NOM)."

Is it because in the second sentence, we're saying that this entire song is beautiful but in the first we're not saying that all music is beautiful, only this music? But then, we are saying tämä laulu as well ... so it's just as specified as with "musiikki" ... so is this something to do with countable and uncountable.
Yeah, I think it's because music is uncountable and a song is not.
Imralu wrote:Are these sentences also correct?:

Musiikki on kaunis - "Music (in general) is beautiful(NOM)"
Nämä laulut ovat kauniitten/kauniiden - "These songs are beautiful.(PART.PL)"
I guess the first sentence could be used, but then has the meaning "the music is beautiful", for example as in "the stage performance sucked, but the music is beautiful" when referring to some show. The second sentence should be "nämä laulut ovat kauniita", and means what you wrote in English.
My most recent quiz:

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Qwynegold wrote:Yeah, I think it's because music is uncountable and a song is not.
[Enjoying a break from the gay attention whoring]

So it's basically like French (except in French, it's marked on the article, of course)?

JAL

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Qwynegold wrote:Oh I see, then "kumpi on väärin?" would have been better. :wink: It's difficult to say what exactly the difference is, but IMO väärin is used when there's something wrong with a thing, while väärä is used when you have picked the wrong option.
Ok, that makes sense to me. They're different meanings of the word wrong.

I know "You're wrong" as it usually means in English is "Olet väärässä", but can I also say "Olet väärä" meaning 'You're the wrong choice' and "Olet väärin" meaning "There's something wrong with you." Maybe unidiomatic, but is that what they seem like to you?
Qwynegold wrote:
Imralu wrote:Musiikki on kaunis - "Music (in general) is beautiful(NOM)"
I guess the first sentence could be used, but then has the meaning "the music is beautiful", for example as in "the stage performance sucked, but the music is beautiful" when referring to some show.
So what would it be when you're talking about music in general (ie. "music"), not specific music (ie. "the music")?? Musiikki on kaunista?
Qwynegold wrote:
Imralu wrote:Nämä laulut ovat kauniitten/kauniiden - "These songs are beautiful.(PART.PL)"
The second sentence should be "nämä laulut ovat kauniita", and means what you wrote in English.
Aah! I meant to write the partitive, but I had to check what it was for the -is words, and then I looked at the wrong cell in the table. (Giving genitive before partitive and accusative just seems stupid to me!) I thought it was weird that it ended in -n, but I didn't think too hard about it.
jal wrote: So it's basically like French (except in French, it's marked on the article, of course)?
Can you imagine if it was cette chanson est belle but cette musique est de belle and ces chansons sont des belles.

It's a lot like French in that the partitive is used in negative sentences. Another example from my book. This one makes me laugh. Why cactus??:

Minulla on kaktus = "I have a cactus" (at me is a cactus.NOM) "J'ai un cactus"
Minulla ei ole kaktusta = "I don't have a cactus" (at me isn't a cactus.PART) "Je n'ai pas d'un cactus" (correct French??)
________
MY MUSIC

Gulliver
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Gulliver »

Imralu wrote:Minulla on kaktus = "I have a cactus" (at me is a cactus.NOM) "J'ai un cactus"
Minulla ei ole kaktusta = "I don't have a cactus" (at me isn't a cactus.PART) "Je n'ai pas d'un cactus" (correct French??)
Je n'ai pas de cactus or (hélas ! ) je n'ai aucun cactus For a Alas! I have no cactus.

Ziz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ziz »

Imralu wrote:
Shm Jay wrote:You’re a cute couple, but your skin is much nicer than his :mrgreen:
I think my boyfriend would prefer Ossicone's boyfriend's skin. It looks sunburnable. I don't know why but he likes too-pale-to-function skin.

The other day, I sat next to an albino guy on the ferry and his skin was darker than mine. WTF?? I hate my skin. It doesn't do what it's supposed to (protect me from the elements) and it's the only skin colour that people can make fun of and not be accused of racism. There's a whole industry devoted to making people's skin not look like mine. I don't really care. My boyfriend likes it. I just wish I could be more of an outdoorsy person. Australia is the wrong country for my skin.

[a picture]
Do you freckle? You don't look like you get freckly. I have pale skin too, so I avoid attempting to tan because I get freckles and they never seem to go away.

Speaking of really pale skin, going to the beach is embarrassing. I'm glad I moved away from SC. But I think being perpetually pale is better then going out and making a habit of tanning. Especially for those sandy blond-haired people who are out in the sun on the beach all day and end up having arm hair and such that's lighter than their already ridiculously orangy skin.

That always looks weird. And the people who live on the beach in SC — they never seem to age well.

[/ramble]

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Antilli wrote:Do you freckle? You don't look like you get freckly. I have pale skin too, so I avoid attempting to tan because I get freckles and they never seem to go away.
Yeah, I freckle. I call it a "cluster tan".

One time I walked past a tanning salon and there was this big beefcake guy with his bimbo girlfriend coming out of there, both with disturbingly tanned skin. I was wearing shorts, showing my ridiculously white, hairy legs (because I never wear shorts so they're not even freckled), and I heard them mutter something to each other ... I'm sure they were judging me. Pretty funny really. In twenty years they're both going to look like wallets.
________
MY MUSIC

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Imralu wrote:In twenty years they're both going to look like wallets.
LIRLAT.

I'm not particularly tanned, but I've been thought Spanish and Greek and Italian before, which confuses me, and nobody believes me when I say my family comes from Eastern Europe.

(The Spanish time was in a shop in Manchester, and I was waiting to pay for my stuff, and a girl and a guy were in the other line facing me, and they looked at me and the guy whispered "I bet he's Spanish, I dare you to say 'hola' to him" (I don't think he realized I could hear him (yay for sensitive hearing)). The Greek and Italian time was also in a shop, but in Greece, and I walked into a shop with my sisters, and the shopkeeper woman was hiding in the back somewhere, and when she came out she said something in Greek, and I said "Δεν είμαστε ελληνικοί", and she said "Italiani?", and looked very surprised when I said "Αγγλικοί" (which may be because I don't actually speak Greek and I said it wrong, but...).)