Creativity of the day

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Creativity of the day

Post by Astraios »

I think it's the distance the houses are from the road. As if they have driveways for large expensive cars.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Those styles are all French-inspired so it can be reasonably assumed they have their roots in Europe. Perhaps the slate is out of place (I see a lot more tiles in Kaliningrad) but I can't see what else would be out of place.
Why French-inspired? I thought Falgwia was part of Prussia or Russia at that point.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Eddy wrote:
Those styles are all French-inspired so it can be reasonably assumed they have their roots in Europe. Perhaps the slate is out of place (I see a lot more tiles in Kaliningrad) but I can't see what else would be out of place.
Why French-inspired? I thought Falgwia was part of Prussia or Russia at that point.
No it was part of Prussia which was Germany. Perhaps I am in the wrong, but I had figured French architecture was en vogue throughout Europe, even in Germany.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Viktor77 wrote:
Eddy wrote:
No it was part of Prussia which was Germany. Perhaps I am in the wrong
Yup.
but I had figured French architecture was en vogue throughout Europe, even in Germany.
During the latter part of the 19th century, Germans were going through one of those periodic phases in which they reject the obvious superiority of French culture, giving rise to odd indigenous styles.

One thing which really stands out as weird for me, however, is the fact that they're detatched houses. Assuming that they're not in the leafy suburbs of Tywei (and the later glass-and-steel highrises rather suggest a more central location), it would be more usual for a European city to have closely packed townhouses or apartment blocks.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

One thing which really stands out as weird for me, however, is the fact that they're detatched houses. Assuming that they're not in the leafy suburbs of Tywei (and the later glass-and-steel highrises rather suggest a more central location), it would be more usual for a European city to have closely packed townhouses or apartment blocks.
I think they are houses for rich people, who can probably afford to buy the land around them so they can have more room.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

Eddy wrote:I think they are houses for rich people, who can probably afford to buy the land around them so they can have more room.
A wonderful idea, spoilt only by the fact that European capital cities of the 19th century are not American suburbs of the late 20th.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

A wonderful idea, spoilt only by the fact that European capital cities of the 19th century are not American suburbs of the late 20th.
I know that much. But how expensive must land be if even rich people can only afford just enough to fit their house? This is, of course, a question of great interest to me, since I have been trying to explain in my conworld why the Terps have such dense living arrangements instead of going suburban like Americans did.
Last edited by Aurora Rossa on Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Dewrad wrote:During the latter part of the 19th century, Germans were going through one of those periodic phases in which they reject the obvious superiority of French culture, giving rise to odd indigenous styles.

You're probably right as this is one thing I've never understand well. I've done research into Koenigsberg/Kaliningrad and they have quite a few large detached homes which defintely stem from the latter half of the 19th century. They are by no means opulent, but they are detached. The problem is I never can identify the location of the streets so I'm left to assume they are urbanly-located but I really have no clue. As an American it wouldn't be odd for me if rich people built opulent detached homes in very city-centered neighborhoods in the late 19th century as that was a trend here. But I don't know Europe and especially the German Empire well enough so I shouldn't make generalisations using an American perspective. :x
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

okay once is just eddy being an idiot but twice suggests a possible school of moronic thought.

you are aware, aren't you, of the practice of very rich people having more than one house, often one house in a town (or a "townhouse") and one house in the country?

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

you are aware, aren't you, of the practice of very rich people having more than one house, often one house in a town (or a "townhouse") and one house in the country?
Not really. The only rich people I have known had one house in the suburbs and maybe another house in the suburbs of another city. If they do have a house in the country, why bother with one in the city which necessarily lacks the opulence and size of their country one?

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

jesus christ

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Eddy wrote:Not really. The only rich people I have known had one house in the suburbs and maybe another house in the suburbs of another city. If they do have a house in the country, why bother with one in the city which necessarily lacks the opulence and size of their country one?
Transportation. Efficiency. Rich people usually work in the city, their kids usually go to school in the suburbs. They need a happy medium or a house near the city for daily life. They can retreat to their summerhome on weekends, especially in the summer, but on weekdays one must return to the mundane city-centered routine of life.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

vampireshark wrote:Image
Sample Telemor visa
oh wow, haha, that was unexpected. YAY! I have a visa :3

Viktor, I'm not sure those Viktorian (sic) houses would fit in Germany. Speaking of which there is something about German architecture that I quite simply dislike, Munich didn't impress me, in fact I didn't get a good vibe/feel from it.
<King> Ivo, you phrase things in the most comedic manner

[quote="Jal"][quote="jme"]Thats just rude and unneeded.[/quote]That sums up Io, basically. Yet, we all love him.[/quote]

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Drawing of a bioship for my conworld, basically an orgonomically powered craft used by the Terps. I modeled it loosely on the luna moth but gave it claw-like appendages so it could grasp things. I am wondering how how the distinctly organic style might apply to architecture. Hopefully next time I will have some drawings of Terpish buildings to post.

Tropylium
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Tropylium »

Cute. Looks kind of like a design vacuum cleaner (with a samba carneval get-up) for some reason…
[ˌʔaɪsəˈpʰɻ̊ʷoʊpɪɫ ˈʔæɫkəɦɔɫ]

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

it will destroy Korn mightily

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

It's not much but its creativity.

næn:älʉː

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Less "creative", more "angsty". Or perhaps "indie douchebaggy".
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Eddy wrote:Image
To me this looks like the drag queen version of Moya.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Dewrad wrote:Less "creative", more "angsty". Or perhaps "indie douchebaggy".
Agreed. It's not creative as all you did was take a close-up photo in a mirror in the dark with flash. There was no technique involved at all.

And Eddy, I didn't know you could draw, nice. I like the colors. :)
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

catberry
Sanci
Sanci

Post by catberry »

The bioship looks really nice, Eddy.
You killed yourself. By waving a scientist around.
-is female-

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Thank you, Pwanlai.

By the way, why does your passport have a huge bite taken out of it, Vampireshark?

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Mushu ate it.

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

The bioship looks like a gamete/tadpole to me.
<King> Ivo, you phrase things in the most comedic manner

[quote="Jal"][quote="jme"]Thats just rude and unneeded.[/quote]That sums up Io, basically. Yet, we all love him.[/quote]

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Eddy wrote:By the way, why does your passport have a huge bite taken out of it, Vampireshark?
It's not a passport, it's a visa.

And the reason why there's a large portion taken out of it is because it's supposed to be a silhouette of the shape of Telemor cut out for extra security. This was inspired from the Canadian visa, which has a cut-out in the shape of a maple leaf.
Astraios wrote:Mushu ate it.
Well, Mushu isn't too keen on paper. He prefers booze, bottle and all.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.