Seahorses, I Love 'Em (& other Links of Interest)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

I find the address of that website to be a bit baffling: "Sex in Christ". How would Jesus react to having married couples having sex inside of Him? How would they all fit?
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Adventures in WikiPedia: SWATjester's revenge edition.
Oh THAT'S why I was on hiatus. Right. Hiatus Mode re-engaged.

bi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by bi »

Jimbo the pimp, Essjay the quack professor, SlimVirgin the sexy super-spy, and SWATjester the undercover terrorism expert... I think we have enough material for an action movie. Or a comedy series.
[img]http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/9899/t4nu8.gif[/img]

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Two people die at an Ozzfest

To me it seems almost trite.

bi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by bi »

Via Digg: US Transportation Secretary Mary Peters thinks bicycles aren't a form of transportation.

"Well, there's about probably some 10 percent to 20 percent of the current spending that is going to projects that really are not transportation, directly transportation-related. Some of that money is being spent on things, as I said earlier, like bike paths or trails."

Ho hum. After all, flipping burgers is a manufacturing industry, isn't it...

Huffington Post on Iraq war pundits again: the keyword is "distraction".

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

In the right conditions, space dust can behave like organic compounds, providing a clue to the origins of life.

America's burgeoning crisis: out-of-control birthday parties.

EBay: your leading source of bridal pathos.

Trying to smuggle a hidden camera into a conference full of hackers and techno-geeks? Not a good idea.

Bizarre Disneyland knock-offs, second instalment: the halfway-to-condemned Nara Dreamland in Japan.

An essay on the photos of Weegee the Famous.

Increase your baby's Googleability.

First the Death Cat, now the Death Dog. I await reports of the Death Hamster, Parrot, Guinea Pig and Goldfish.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Here's a weird one I stumbled on from a while back: Bush's mysterious Paraguayan fortress.

bi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by bi »

"Dear Televiewer

You have been selected to participate in a survey whose findings will directly influence what you see on television in the future.

You have been selected to evaluate not-yet released television material that is being considered for nationwide broadcast. [...]"

In capitalist Hollywood, TV commercials watch You.

Why I don't wanna be a game designer.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

ils wrote: First the Death Cat, now the Death Dog. I await reports of the Death Hamster, Parrot, Guinea Pig and Goldfish.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Delicious flake.

The Evolution of Mandom: from Bronson to Gatsby. The old man is rolling in his grave.

Orientalism came up in this thread, and reminded me of another, less widely-acknowledged set of tropes: Septentrionalism, stereotypes regarding the generic North.

NakedCelt
Sanci
Sanci

Post by NakedCelt »

ils wrote:Here's a weird one I stumbled on from a while back: Bush's mysterious Paraguayan fortress.
Think that's bad? Check out this more recent article.
[url=http://nakedcelt.zoomshare.com/files/index.html]The Naked Celt[/url]
[url=http://gyro.opsa.org.nz/][i]Gyro[/i][/url]

bi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by bi »

NakedCelt's link reminds me: if you don't want to rely on Wayback Archive caching a certain page, another option is this.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

NakedCelt wrote:
ils wrote:Here's a weird one I stumbled on from a while back: Bush's mysterious Paraguayan fortress.
Think that's bad? Check out this more recent article.
I love that one; exactly the kind of rightwing nutjob that rightwingers are perpetually claiming does not exist. And look at all those Americans clamoring to settle in Iraq! And it all worked out great for Julius Caesar, didn't it? It's a foolproof plan!

Best quote is from the Free Republican "discussion":
there are very few of us here on FR who wouldn’t like to see the lands of Allah turned into a glass parking lot.
Truth at last.

bi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by bi »

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

I love Johann Hari, tubby little shrill thing that he is.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Gremlins
Sanci
Sanci
Location: The western spiral arm of Great Britain (we don't have toilets)

Post by Gremlins »

Dewrad wrote:
I love Johann Hari, tubby little shrill thing that he is.
Urgh. The indie is worse than the guardian for left-wing insanity. LEIK OMG THERE ARE 500 INSANE TWATS ON A BOAT IN AMERICA! HOW WILL WE LIVE!?!?!??!?!
[quote="dinnae"][quote="Sano"]I'm a Homo sapien, does that count?[/quote]

Only if you go Erectus in the presence of the same sex.[/quote]

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Genuinely funny piece. (Sorry, Dew and Gremlins, if laughing at the NRO cruise offends you, but I think it's pretty humorous.)

Anyway, let's raise the tone a bit with something we can all get behind: Spanish lessons from Snoop Doggy Dogg.

For a time-waster, we have a little Dolphin Olympics.

Sunny Day Sing-Along. A little off-colour, so to speak.

And oh God, sorry, I can't help it: here's a little explanation of the "Bush should do like Caesar" guy. Yes, it looks to be the same guy.

bi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by bi »

More US politics: the Tweedledum-Tweedledee voting pattern vs. the Lesser Evil voting pattern vs. ... a third voting pattern?

Advances in the Junk Science of Cryonic Life Extension: did the Alcor Life Extension Foundation murder Dora Kent and baseballer Ted Williams? Alcor responds by writing bull (see especially the last answer).

(One of Alcor's Patient Care Trustees is a self-proclaimed `satisfied customer' of these guys from before. This has to be a coincidence.)

Gremlins
Sanci
Sanci
Location: The western spiral arm of Great Britain (we don't have toilets)

Post by Gremlins »

ils wrote:
Genuinely funny piece. (Sorry, Dew and Gremlins, if laughing at the NRO cruise offends you, but I think it's pretty humorous.)
Oh no, I love laughing at right-wing retards, but the Indie has a penchant for "the facists are taking overs!!!111124341!" stories.
[quote="dinnae"][quote="Sano"]I'm a Homo sapien, does that count?[/quote]

Only if you go Erectus in the presence of the same sex.[/quote]

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Gremlins wrote:
ils wrote:
Oh no, I love laughing at right-wing retards, but the Indie has a penchant for "the facists are taking overs!!!111124341!" stories.
Well, such articles would be appropriate to the age, but I don't think Hari's piece about the cruise is one of them.

chris_notts
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by chris_notts »

Gremlins wrote:
ils wrote:
I like the Independent. It's a fairly good newspaper, and what else is there for the leftist/centrist liberal in the UK? The Guardian and the Times are annoying and somehow a bit vacuous and uninteresting, and most of the rest are right wing or, in the case of a couple of the red top papers, downright fascist.
The only other paper I really enjoy reading occasionally is the Daily Telegraph, because it's interesting and thought provoking enough that I can just about ignore its Conservative credentials.

EDIT: part of the UK problem is the fact that Murdoch owns a significant proportion of the news media. It's ridiculous that he was allowed to buy so much in the first place and that he's allowed to keep it AND push his own political views through his companies, but all the politicians are too afraid to give him a good kicking now. Tony Blair was famous for his meetings with him.
Try the online version of the HaSC sound change applier: http://chrisdb.dyndns-at-home.com/HaSC

bi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by bi »

Computer programming in Latin.

And, via Making Light: Objectivism + Narnia = Aslan Shrugged.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

I love Hitherby Dragons.

Meet Hong Kong's tutor gods, billboard-plastering celebrity grammar tutors. Yes, you read that right: celebrity grammar tutors.

"And then the dinosaur attacks!" "And then they travel through time!" The creative process behind such masterpieces as Dungeon Siege: The Movie explained.