The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The Contradictory Feelings Thread

Post by Shm Jay »

Maybe your partner is getting confused with the various meanings of "beard" and thinks you want to bring a woman into the relationship. :mrgreen:

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Viktor77 wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:I'll talk to him about it, see if we can compromise without him just giving in to me.
Why not a pilot period? Try it for a month, if he still hates it, then you shave. Who knows--maybe having facial hair won't be as rewarding as you think it will be.
Are you my neighbor in disguise? She said your same words verbatim.
Fuck, time to move house again.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

I'm in Korea right now. I happy. But getting here was definitely an adventure, and the place I'll be staying in for a month is one of the tiniest rooms I've ever encountered.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

pharazon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by pharazon »

Keep one side of your face clean-shaven and the other hairy.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

266 verses from Ogygia to Scheria.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Angry Spaniards because Catalans cheer Tito Vilanova up in Catalan. #theconcept #itshappening

laura moreno ‏@lauramm91
Lo de poner tweets de apoyo a Tito en catalán es porque sois subnormales nos¿?? #correccion

El del gas ‏@elme0
Yo animo a Tito, lo que no me sale de los guevos es ponerlo en catalán

oskar ‏@oscrack11
Todos los q dais ánimos a Tito en catalán estáis retrasados????

Sergio Yee RMCF ‏@sergio_yee
lo de animar a tito pase, eso si los que se lo poneis en catalan sois un poco retrasados....

Pasion Rojiblanca ‏@PasionRJ1903
No entiendo a la gente que da animos a Tito en catalán...no lo entiendo...

Humankind is amazing. Internet is a circus. Thanks Twitter for existing.

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

The contradictory feelings being laughter and second-hand shame?

aaaay mi Izo el pobre que es retrasao y no lo sabíamos. ¿no puedes hablar normal o qué? xDDDDDD

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Thry wrote:The contradictory feelings being laughter and second-hand shame?
Sonrisas y lágrimas

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

bahahahahahaha

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

It's better than a comedy, man. Why watch TV when I haz the internets?

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Today I've slept 15 hours (almost) in one go.

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

That doubles my maximum quota since I began uni.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

So the Illinois House of Representatives legalised same-sex marriage today. Yay. Thanks, fuckers, for waiting less than a month after we took off work, made two trips downtown, and paid $60 bucks for a civil union in order to secure my partner's access to health benefits next year. I'm so totally looking forward to going through the whole process again because no way is the administration of this state about to put efficiency and convenience to citizens above free money and allow us to upgrade online or something.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Writing English essays is dull, and not at all enjoyable at 22:00, but, if you have to, do it while listening to the Inception soundtrack. (And finish it off with the Chariots of Fire theme.)

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

So like, spanish people dislike catalans from speaking in catalan? OMG WHO KNEW RITE?
es que los catalane se inventaron eso del catalan para tocar los "guevos"

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

All the Iberian languages are the same (just a slightly different phoneme table... and some differences in vocab... oh and differences in gramar... and they don't all understand each other... well, anyway), and even Basque is probably a demonic variation spoken back-to-front.

But don't tell the Iberians I said that.
It was about time I changed this.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

ObsequiousNewt wrote:Writing English essays is dull, and not at all enjoyable at 22:00, but, if you have to, do it while listening to the Inception soundtrack. (And finish it off with the Chariots of Fire theme.)
Hmmm, the Inception soundtrack... Me takes note of it.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Izambri wrote:
ObsequiousNewt wrote:Writing English essays is dull, and not at all enjoyable at 22:00, but, if you have to, do it while listening to the Inception soundtrack. (And finish it off with the Chariots of Fire theme.)
It was something new (usually I listen to the Moon soundtrack.) Now that I think about it, my essay may have come off as a little bit more dramatic than I intended.

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

ObsequiousNewt wrote:
Izambri wrote:
It was something new (usually I listen to the Moon soundtrack.) Now that I think about it, my essay may have come off as a little bit more dramatic than I intended.
Some songs can interfere with my work. To write (a novel or an essay, it doesn't matter) I prefer a much more neutral kind of music, rain.

Rhetorica
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rhetorica »

ObsequiousNewt wrote:
Izambri wrote:
If you're fond of the Moon soundtrack, pick up the Solaris (yes, the George Clooney one) soundtrack and The Fountain's soundtrack. Just don't listen to the last track on The Fountain. It will make you sob like a three year old deprived of ice cream.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

The soundtrack from The Fountain just annoyed me (as did the rest of the film to a large extent, though it was very well made). When I hear soundtracks like that, I just think: hey, the guy's still doing film scores, if you're really THAT desparate for Glass to write your soundtrack, go the fuck hire Philip Glass!

[Or be the Watchman film and shamelessly steal random bits of music Glass wrote for other people, because you've got no sense of pride or dignity...]
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Hydroeccentricity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hydroeccentricity »

No offense to the great Philip Glass, but Clint Mansell is fairly highly regarded when it comes to film scores. I'm sure when they hired him they got exactly what they wanted. When I think of Philip Glass film scores I don't think of it being that similar to Mansell. I mean, this is obviously a cherry-picked example, but compare these two, among the most famous scores from each composer:
Koyaanisqatsi
Lux Aeterna
Either way, thanks for forcing me to re-listen to Koyaanisqatsi and the Kundun soundtrack.
"I'm sorry, when you have all As in every class in every semester, it's not easy to treat the idea that your views are fundamentally incoherent as a serious proposition."

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

glass is probably more expensive

Rhetorica
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rhetorica »

Also worth adding to the list: Edward Shearmur's K-PAX soundtrack. Somehow a movie about a guy who goes crazy and thinks he's from another world and has worked out the orbital mechanics for it seems fitting for conworlding.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Hydroeccentricity wrote:No offense to the great Philip Glass, but Clint Mansell is fairly highly regarded when it comes to film scores. I'm sure when they hired him they got exactly what they wanted. When I think of Philip Glass film scores I don't think of it being that similar to Mansell. I mean, this is obviously a cherry-picked example, but compare these two, among the most famous scores from each composer:
Koyaanisqatsi
Lux Aeterna
Either way, thanks for forcing me to re-listen to Koyaanisqatsi and the Kundun soundtrack.
Lux Aeterna could so be by glass! Haunting string melody continually repeated over arpeggios? Sure, Glass would have developed it more, but it's still really similar in style.

Looking through the Fountain soundtrack - the first track is a slow, sparse, rhythmical piano piece that seems mostly accompaniment but gradually fades in snatches of melody as it goes on, and then repeats the same on strings. Like the music Glass writes for piano, and sometimes for strings. The second track is out-of-tune metal percussion, low strings, and rhythmic low chanting, or 'the score to Kundun' as you might alternatively call it. The third track... oh, hey, that's the music from Battlestar Galactica! Never noticed that before. But then, BSG is also pretty in debt to Glass at points (which they sort of lampshade by actually using a Glass piece at key moments (they claim it's written by Starbuck, iirc)).

OK, so maybe I was harsh on it. Some bits aren't completely Glass. But tracks 1, 2, 5, 8, 9 and maybe 10 (though maybe that one's a bit too tuneful - reminds me more of einaudi, actually) do sort of scream it.

Mansell himself would probably stress his not being Glass. On the other hand, he's not shy about the influence - he says Glass is the world's greatest composer, and he recently got him to contribute a new piece to Mansell's 'Stoker' score.

On Glass' soundtracks: don't forget The Truman Show (bits of, at least) and The Hours! (both of which are a bit closer to The Fountain than Koyaaniqatsi is). And, you know, his non-cinema music.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!