ZBB member photos, part 5. (Something for the weekend, sir?)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Re: ZBB member photos, part 5. (Something for the weekend, s

Post by Dewrad »

Bristel wrote:Gulliver, how old are you? I want to make sure that this sexing I'm prepared to give you is perfectly legal.
Tsk. He's older than you.

Gulliver, I insist on a picture in which you are not wearing a waistcoat.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Dewrad wrote:
Bristel wrote:Gulliver, how old are you? I want to make sure that this sexing I'm prepared to give you is perfectly legal.

He looks like he's taking care of himself, is all.

Hssss. No, wear the waistcoat, it's your thing Gull.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Gulliver
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Gulliver »

Dewrad wrote:

I'm 26, but hee hee hee! I was asked for ID for paracetamol last year! When my skin is behaving itself, I look pretty young. Most of the time, though, I look like a decaying leathery sexpest.

Also, I don't really wear waistcoats all that often, but I do think look good in them. I have a giant ribcage so they sit well on me. My cousin has the same giant ribcage, but is less impressed by it, because it makes her look weirdly muscular.

*sparkles*

Left
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Left »

Gulliver wrote:My latest call for attention:
CAMWHORING-IN-PROGRESS :wink:
Gulliver wrote: Bonus for the pussy-lovers out there:

(It's Pepper with some tomato plants.)
:3 I like this cat.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Like all cats, it seems to be cultivating a look of refined disgust at its owner.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

dhokarena56 wrote:Like all cats, it seems to be cultivating a look of refined disgust at its owner.
It's actually a defense mechanism. Most humans find cats' aloofness and disgust to be adorable. This stimulates the part of our personalities which need something to take care of. Then the cat gets a home and food in exchange for the aloofness.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

The thing people always seem to forget is that cats are actually social animals who love company. Just because they don't play as readily or fawn and slobber all over people like dogs, people think they're aloof. Every (domestic) cat I've met has been the opposite of aloof, rather I've had to shoo them away from me because they want strokes and petting.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

yeah even the more aloof cats will still alternate between distant and ATTENTION WHORE
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

"He likes cats for their aloofness."

Go references!
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Astraios wrote:The thing people always seem to forget is that cats are actually social animals who love company. Just because they don't play as readily or fawn and slobber all over people like dogs, people think they're aloof. Every (domestic) cat I've met has been the opposite of aloof, rather I've had to shoo them away from me because they want strokes and petting.
I've heard it's actually their facial expressions: dogs basically make very similar expressions to us when they have similar emotions – such as basic things like smiling when happy. For most other animals showing the teeth at all is quite aggressive, but not for humans and dogs when smiling – and we both grit our teeth when angry. Of course, dogs have other ways – the tail definitely factors into it in ways that it obviously can't in humans.

Cats don't really seem to rely on facial expression in the same way – or at least, they do it differently. I think they rely on ears to a greater extent than we do. Because we rely heavily on facial expression to judge mood, a lot of us see the facial expressions of cats and see aloofness, even if this is inaccurate.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

finlay wrote:
Astraios wrote:The thing people always seem to forget is that cats are actually social animals who love company. Just because they don't play as readily or fawn and slobber all over people like dogs, people think they're aloof. Every (domestic) cat I've met has been the opposite of aloof, rather I've had to shoo them away from me because they want strokes and petting.
I've heard it's actually their facial expressions: dogs basically make very similar expressions to us when they have similar emotions – such as basic things like smiling when happy. For most other animals showing the teeth at all is quite aggressive, but not for humans and dogs when smiling – and we both grit our teeth when angry. Of course, dogs have other ways – the tail definitely factors into it in ways that it obviously can't in humans.
People grit their teeth when angry? What?
finlay wrote:Cats don't really seem to rely on facial expression in the same way – or at least, they do it differently. I think they rely on ears to a greater extent than we do. Because we rely heavily on facial expression to judge mood, a lot of us see the facial expressions of cats and see aloofness, even if this is inaccurate.
Oh, my cats definitely look happy in a way similar to people when they are. They definitely seem to be smiling, although with closed mouths, in a way that's not to be seen when they are not. Another obvious feature to express happiness for a cat that you'll get neither from a dog nor a man is of course the purring. Even though it's definitely not a thing that's part of our own set of gestures, we still immediately understand it.
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

In my experience, any given cat is doing one of three things at any given time:

- looking for food
- eating food
- sleeping
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Laura in Space wrote:In my experience, any given cat is doing one of three things at any given time:

- looking for food
- eating food
- sleeping
Then you've been very lucky not to encounter fighting cats, or, worse, cats in heat.

JAL

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

jal wrote:Then you've been very lucky not to encounter fighting cats, or, worse, cats in heat.
I used to hear them chasing each other, fighting, and mourning at night. Very scary. There was a barn with some stray cats next to our house in the town where I grew up.

Shrdlu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shrdlu »

Skomakar'n wrote: Another obvious feature to express happiness for a cat that you'll get neither from a dog nor a man is of course the purring. Even though it's definitely not a thing that's part of our own set of gestures, we still immediately understand it.
A cat may also purr to comfort it self when it is afraid or injured.
If I stop posting out of the blue it probably is because my computer and the board won't cooperate and let me log in.!

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

finlay wrote:I've heard it's actually their facial expressions: dogs basically make very similar expressions to us when they have similar emotions – such as basic things like smiling when happy. For most other animals showing the teeth at all is quite aggressive, but not for humans and dogs when smiling – and we both grit our teeth when angry. Of course, dogs have other ways – the tail definitely factors into it in ways that it obviously can't in humans.

Cats don't really seem to rely on facial expression in the same way – or at least, they do it differently. I think they rely on ears to a greater extent than we do. Because we rely heavily on facial expression to judge mood, a lot of us see the facial expressions of cats and see aloofness, even if this is inaccurate.
Oh, that makes a lot a lot of sense, and it seems to me I've always preferred cats because of that, actually.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Skomakar'n wrote:Oh, my cats definitely look happy in a way similar to people when they are. They definitely seem to be smiling, although with closed mouths, in a way that's not to be seen when they are not.
That's not a facial expression, it's just the shape of their mouth. Their mouths still flick upwards at the corners when they're not "smiling", but because they're doing other happy body language it looks like they're smiling. Dogs and humans actually move their face about into a happy expression.

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

Shrdlu wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote: Another obvious feature to express happiness for a cat that you'll get neither from a dog nor a man is of course the purring. Even though it's definitely not a thing that's part of our own set of gestures, we still immediately understand it.
A cat may also purr to comfort it self when it is afraid or injured.
That is...too true. I liked to play rough with my cat when I was little, and I would always be encouraged by its purring :|

(In my defense, I never once actually injured my cat, he was just scared)

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Astraios wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:Oh, my cats definitely look happy in a way similar to people when they are. They definitely seem to be smiling, although with closed mouths, in a way that's not to be seen when they are not.
That's not a facial expression, it's just the shape of their mouth. Their mouths still flick upwards at the corners when they're not "smiling", but because they're doing other happy body language it looks like they're smiling. Dogs and humans actually move their face about into a happy expression.
I've had cats for eleven years. Believe me. There's a big difference between their happy faces and their ordinary faces. By "seem to be smiling" I didn't mean that I think that they're actually smiling, but that it looks like it. What I mean is simply that cats, at least mine, do look happier (in a way that's intuitive to a human being) when they are in fact happy. Of course, their eyes is a big part of it too.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Astraios
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Astraios »

Skomakar'n wrote:I've had cats for eleven years. Believe me.
I've never not had cats, so I beat you there. (:

Skomakar'n wrote:There's a big difference between their happy faces and their ordinary faces. By "seem to be smiling" I didn't mean that I think that they're actually smiling, but that it looks like it. What I mean is simply that cats, at least mine, do look happier (in a way that's intuitive to a human being) when they are in fact happy. Of course, their eyes is a big part of it too.
Yes, that's what I said.

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Good.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

Lithray
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Lithray »

I like giant dogs. Diane or mastiff. I currently have this adorable mastiff that is like a giant cat. Sleeps and eats. Though should I want to play with her she is entirely willing.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

Lithray wrote:I like giant dogs. Diane or mastiff. I currently have this adorable mastiff that is like a giant cat. Sleeps and eats. Though should I want to play with her she is entirely willing.
Pile things on top of her while she's sleeping, take picture, post results.