Happy Things Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Happy Things Thread

Post by gach »

vampireshark wrote:Incidentally, I also have my copy of the article that we submitted, which I could also send along once I get back home (it's on my personal computer; not my work computer).
Yeah, why not. That would be nice.

Publishing in an open access journal is a nice touch. They don't seem to be getting popular in astronomy very fast, but fortunately that doesn't matter too much since most people put their papers to arXiv.org anyway.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

I finally got a girlfriend. I asked one of my long-time friends from the university out and during the dinner she confessed she really really likes me.

Yay! April Fools.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Koko
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Koko »

That's a sad April Fools :P And also a day too early over here.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Here, too, and that's also my mom's birthday! :P
vampireshark wrote:
Vijay wrote:Congratulations!

I submitted a paper to a journal once and had to wait forever to hear back from them as well (I think in my case it was a few years?). It was neither accepted nor rejected because they said they couldn't find a reader. :P
Thanks. And, yeah, that's not fun...
Nah, it was OK. I was an undergrad at the time, and in reality, tbh, the paper was probably crappy anyway. I think it's fair to say I came up with better stuff later.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

I had a blast in Germany. I stayed in Hannover and went to Lüneburg, Bremen, Hildesheim, Berlin, and Marienborg Schloss. I got to eat at lots of local restaurants and try to speak German. I did learn a bit more so that was fun. If only I spoke more, my name on my train tickets looked so German: Herr Eric Becker. :P But I will keep learning German because it is one of my favourite languages.

In the end Germany was awesome and I'm glad I got to spend some more time there, and the people we stayed with were a blast! I'm going to go get Eis one last time because it's freaking amazing, and then I'm going to buy some German mayonnaise which I discovered is also just amazing. German mayonnaise and Belgian frites is going to be like freaking heaven!
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Viktor77 wrote:I had a blast in Germany. I stayed in Hannover and went to Lüneburg, Bremen, Hildesheim, Berlin, and Marienborg Schloss. I got to eat at lots of local restaurants and try to speak German. I did learn a bit more so that was fun. If only I spoke more, my name on my train tickets looked so German: Herr Eric Becker. :P But I will keep learning German because it is one of my favourite languages.

In the end Germany was awesome and I'm glad I got to spend some more time there, and the people we stayed with were a blast! I'm going to go get Eis one last time because it's freaking amazing, and then I'm going to buy some German mayonnaise which I discovered is also just amazing. German mayonnaise and Belgian frites is going to be like freaking heaven!
Well done for going.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Salmoneus wrote:Well done for going.
Thanks. I'm glad I went and my husband crossed the border with no problems. No control at all. The bus had passport control but they weren't concerned with anything but the profile page.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

A relatively minor thing, but I have a new avatar.

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Lol :)

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

What's so funny?

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Nothing really. I just like how it looks like you made a new avatar by just modifying the previous one. :) I don't think I've seen anyone do that before.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Possibly because avatars of vomiting people are so rare in any case?

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

That's not vomiting O_o The green mouth is because of lipstick, and the green below that is a shirt.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

I must remember to read that some time.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

I was talking with this old guy tonight at the bus stop and he told me he spoke Walloon fluently. He could read it, write it perfectly, and of course speak it, Liègeois Walloon. So that is the happy part of this comment. The sad part is that young people no longer know Walloon, outside a few words which have symbolic value. Their parents sometimes know and sometimes don't know Walloon. The senior generation is really among the last to be widely proficient in the language. This is quite sad, and I wish they could do something to preserve the language and motivate the youth to learn the language before it disappears, but no one is that optimist. But anyway, sad stuff aside, it was neat to meet someone who was fluent in Walloon.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

The history of miniature golf is surprisingly interesting.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

So, if you've seen my posts in the venting thread this year or last year, you'll know I've been going through a pretty tough phase of my life. I'm not out of it yet, but at least balls are rolling. I still don't think it's the best time in my life to meet anyone, but I've been so crazy lonely lately and talked about this with my counsellor and talked about how I was banning myself from looking for anyone until my life was stable and he pointed out to me how I'm always so hard on myself and I'm so quick to deny myself things that I really want and I really need to learn to pay attention to what I want and follow that ... so, feeling like I had permission to do what I wanted, I opened an account on planet romeo and got a lot of attention, which freaked me out and I mentally kind of shut down a few times and couldn't open it for a few days ...

... and then last night, I met up with a guy for the first time in a very long time ... and it doesn't even seem believable to me. He's like, an absolute caricature of my type, taken to the extreme, so ridiculously attractive to me and he seems to be equally into me, or even more so because he obviously can't stop thinking about me. I was so nervous in the beginning but we ended up getting on really well. I felt like he was constantly judging and analysing everything, which set off my insecurities, but he liked me. We ended up making out for ages. I got a really sore neck from looking up - I'm tall, but he's a giant. Today, we chatted on and off all day and then spoke on the phone and just talking to him makes me grin like an idiot and we're meeting up again tomorrow night ... and I'm excited and sick with nervousness whenever I think about him. My brain doesn't know what to make of this ... I'm falling way too fast and could get hurt, but it would be stupid to hold back too, and all of my issues with sexuality and intimacy are about to collide with someone who makes me feel nervous and completely vulnerable. Wheeee!
Viktor77 wrote:I had a blast in Germany. I stayed in Hannover and went to Lüneburg, Bremen, Hildesheim, Berlin, and Marienborg Schloss.
I'm sorry I didn't make it to see you and I'm sorry I didn't even reply to your message. I often read things and don't know how to reply in the moment and then forget later. It's even worse when a whole lot of people contact me at once. I spend whole days in my room sometimes because two people want to do something on the same day and rather than choose, I just drop off the radar.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Imralu wrote:So, if you've seen my posts in the venting thread this year or last year, you'll know I've been going through a pretty tough phase of my life. I'm not out of it yet, but at least balls are rolling. I still don't think it's the best time in my life to meet anyone, but I've been so crazy lonely lately and talked about this with my counsellor and talked about how I was banning myself from looking for anyone until my life was stable and he pointed out to me how I'm always so hard on myself and I'm so quick to deny myself things that I really want and I really need to learn to pay attention to what I want and follow that ... so, feeling like I had permission to do what I wanted, I opened an account on planet romeo and got a lot of attention, which freaked me out and I mentally kind of shut down a few times and couldn't open it for a few days ...

... and then last night, I met up with a guy for the first time in a very long time ... and it doesn't even seem believable to me. He's like, an absolute caricature of my type, taken to the extreme, so ridiculously attractive to me and he seems to be equally into me, or even more so because he obviously can't stop thinking about me. I was so nervous in the beginning but we ended up getting on really well. I felt like he was constantly judging and analysing everything, which set off my insecurities, but he liked me. We ended up making out for ages. I got a really sore neck from looking up - I'm tall, but he's a giant. Today, we chatted on and off all day and then spoke on the phone and just talking to him makes me grin like an idiot and we're meeting up again tomorrow night ... and I'm excited and sick with nervousness whenever I think about him. My brain doesn't know what to make of this ... I'm falling way too fast and could get hurt, but it would be stupid to hold back too, and all of my issues with sexuality and intimacy are about to collide with someone who makes me feel nervous and completely vulnerable. Wheeee!
Viktor77 wrote:I had a blast in Germany. I stayed in Hannover and went to Lüneburg, Bremen, Hildesheim, Berlin, and Marienborg Schloss.
I'm sorry I didn't make it to see you and I'm sorry I didn't even reply to your message. I often read things and don't know how to reply in the moment and then forget later. It's even worse when a whole lot of people contact me at once. I spend whole days in my room sometimes because two people want to do something on the same day and rather than choose, I just drop off the radar.
No problem. :) I'm glad you're seeing someone. Life is best when we can share it with someone, and I agree with your counselor so have some fun with this guy and hopefully it leads somewhere. :)

I'm happy because I had an awesome time in Sweden. We got to stay with the nicest couple ever in their lovely home, go to Eurovision, go boating, get drunk and eat awesome food and meet up again with a ZBBer I haven't seen in a few years. I only wish I spoke the language but I can't speak every language so I have to realize there's nothing to be ashamed of. I used a few phrases here and there.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

@ Imralu: Good to hear that things are looking better!

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

Been having a surprisingly good couple of weeks. I'm still almost certainly losing my job in the next few months (ah, the joys of corporate mergers), but I'm pretty indifferent at this point. I did the angry thing for awhile, the depressed thing for even longer, and now I'm just kinda apathetic.

However, I got the chance these past couple weeks to do some more programming at work! Due to various factors (including the upcoming merger), there hasn't actually been a whole ton of programming work for us programmers to do, which meant that I was mostly spending my time writing documentation in preparation for obsoleting a bunch of applications. Deathly boring, let me assure you. Of the "boy it'd be nice if a satellite accidentally fell out of the sky and crushed me right now" variety. Being able to code again is a massive relief, and so much more interesting... this is very nerdy, I'm aware, but there's nothing quite as satisfying to me as writing a particularly clever bit of code.
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Yeah, thanks guys! I'm not out of the woods yet in terms of sorting out my life. But I'm studying, kind of working (to cover the course), and dating someone and I feel like I'm back in the game (ie. life).

The dating is going really well. I slept over at his place. A tonne of my issues came up, as I feared they would, and he was so sweet and kind to me and still crazy about me. I've been learning a lot about myself with him and I'm comfortable with some things with him that have just been an outright no with others. And I can't believe someone as ridiculously attractive as him would be into me, but he is. He just wrote me a message in the middle of the night saying he can't get me out of his head and I told him it's the same for me. *explodes into kittens*
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

Imralu wrote:I've been learning a lot about myself
Personally, I've been finding that this is the one thing that's probably been helping me the most when dealing with anxiety.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Delta just refunded our cancelled flight tickets and gave us 10K miles. I like Delta. I'll be flying on Delta in January to Europe even if it's a bit more. By the end I'll have 20K miles which I think I can actually get a free domestic flight for, or save up to go back to Europe in summer. I only wish you could use miles to subtract off the cost of a ticket, without having to have enough to cover the ticket. It takes 100K miles to fly overseas, which I can't attain.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

kodé
Lebom
Lebom

Post by kodé »

Viktor77 wrote:
Imralu wrote:So, if you've seen my posts in the venting thread this year or last year, you'll know I've been going through a pretty tough phase of my life. I'm not out of it yet, but at least balls are rolling. I still don't think it's the best time in my life to meet anyone, but I've been so crazy lonely lately and talked about this with my counsellor and talked about how I was banning myself from looking for anyone until my life was stable and he pointed out to me how I'm always so hard on myself and I'm so quick to deny myself things that I really want and I really need to learn to pay attention to what I want and follow that ... so, feeling like I had permission to do what I wanted, I opened an account on planet romeo and got a lot of attention, which freaked me out and I mentally kind of shut down a few times and couldn't open it for a few days ...

No problem. :) I'm glad you're seeing someone. Life is best when we can share it with someone, and I agree with your counselor so have some fun with this guy and hopefully it leads somewhere. :)
Amen to this! I'm now happily married over three years, and life could not be more marvelous!