Creativity of the day

Discussions worth keeping around later.
faiuwle
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Creativity of the day

Post by faiuwle »

Precipicio, maybe? It doesn't seem like it would really work there in either Spanish or English, but it definitely sounds like something Viktor would write.
It's (broadly) [faɪ.ˈjuw.lɛ]
#define FEMALE

ConlangDictionary 0.3 3/15/14 (ZBB thread)

Quis vult in terra stare,
Cum possit volitare?

blank stare II
Lebom
Lebom

Post by blank stare II »

I have come up with a list of about ~28 aspects of my conculture, such as language, mythology, customs, etc each of which I plan on doing quite a bit of writing about(some of which I already have). It'll take a lot of research, and a lot of time. But I thoroughly enjoy it - what you might call a labor of love. It'll also provide a reasonably complete anthropology when it's "done".
Also, it'll keep everything organized. No matter what I feel like writing about, there'll be a place for it - not just a bunch of notes on random scraps of paper. Disorganization has always been the biggest bane of my connery.

(that's the word I use for my constuff as a collective whole)
I get a big kick out of playing my own language game–it’s a unique thrill only conlangers know.
- J Burke

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

blank stare II wrote:Also, it'll keep everything organized. No matter what I feel like writing about, there'll be a place for it - not just a bunch of notes on random scraps of paper. Disorganization has always been the biggest bane of my connery.

Reminds me of...Sean Connery.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Ulrike Meinhof
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

Skomakar'n wrote:
vampireshark wrote:rather low, with one only being able to travel 70 mph (112 km/h)
S:

That's very fast for me, from Sweden.
Uhm... we have both 110 and 120 in Sweden...
Attention, je pelote !

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Ulrike Meinhof wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:
vampireshark wrote:rather low, with one only being able to travel 70 mph (112 km/h)
S:

That's very fast for me, from Sweden.
Uhm... we have both 110 and 120 in Sweden...
Sure, but I don't see those a lot since I live in a city. From what I understood, they meant that they have these speed limits within the cities, didn't they, on more regular, smaller roads, right?

And even though we do have 110 and 120 on bigger roads between cities, that's still very fast.
Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

I'd love for you to try my game out! Here's the forum thread about it:
http://zbb.spinnwebe.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36688

Of an Ernst'ian one.

blank stare II
Lebom
Lebom

Post by blank stare II »

Eddy wrote:
blank stare II wrote:Disorganization has always been the biggest bane of my connery.

Reminds me of...Sean Connery.

I know right? Just like context makes me think of a cell phone and conpeople sounds like what a greedy and unscrupulous character would do.
I get a big kick out of playing my own language game–it’s a unique thrill only conlangers know.
- J Burke

Lithray
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Lithray »

Skomakar'n wrote:And even though we do have 110 and 120 on bigger roads between cities, that's still very fast.
We Americans can go 75 mph on an interstate. Faster than your piddly 68. Same as your 120. Though no one is as fast as Germany. Oh how I covet Germany.

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

Lithray wrote:
Skomakar'n wrote:And even though we do have 110 and 120 on bigger roads between cities, that's still very fast.
We Americans can go 75 mph on an interstate. Faster than your piddly 68. Same as your 120. Though no one is as fast as Germany. Oh how I covet Germany.
Do you live out West? In NY and CT, it's 65 on highways, and where I'm from specifically in CT, it's 55...I haven't been out west, but from what I've heard the speed limit is (understandably) a lot higher than in the east (after all, there's a whole lot of nothing out there :P)

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Lithray wrote:Though no one is as fast as Germany. Oh how I covet Germany.
Read what I wrote on the previous page.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Chibi wrote:Do you live out West?
He lives in Alaska, which has no interstates. I believe in some parts of Texas you can even go 80 (130 km/h).

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

Guitarplayer wrote:New photos.
!!!

Can I wallpaper some of these? I think they're absolutely perfect for that role :)

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Cathbad wrote:Can I wallpaper some of these? I think they're absolutely perfect for that role :)
Yeah sure. If you want them screen-filling, the problem is just that Flickr doesn't allow pictures to be larger than 1024xsomething for free accounts IIRC. Tell me which pics you'd like to see as wallpapers (maybe in a PM) and I can put them up in a higher resolution.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Guitarplayer wrote:
Cathbad wrote:Can I wallpaper some of these? I think they're absolutely perfect for that role :)
Yeah sure. If you want them screen-filling, the problem is just that Flickr doesn't allow pictures to be larger than 1024xsomething for free accounts IIRC. Tell me which pics you'd like to see as wallpapers (maybe in a PM) and I can put them up in a higher resolution.
I can host them for you, I have a pro Flickr account. I will credit you of course.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Viktor77 wrote:I can host them for you, I have a pro Flickr account. I will credit you of course.
I have a Picasa account. And a Dropbox one. I can host them myself. But thanks for the offer.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Chibi wrote:
Lithray wrote:
Do you live out West? In NY and CT, it's 65 on highways, and where I'm from specifically in CT, it's 55...I haven't been out west, but from what I've heard the speed limit is (understandably) a lot higher than in the east (after all, there's a whole lot of nothing out there :P)
East of Texas, I don't think there any states with a speed limit higher than 70 mph/112 kph. In NC, it's 70 on very few highways, but you deal with speeds of 65 mph/104 kph most of the time.
Although some roads in Texas have speed limits of 80 mph/128 kph, as Shm Jay said, but those highways are few and far between. Even then, Texas has a statewide nighttime speed limit of 65 mph.

Guitarplayer: Pretty pictures... those are, indeed, well suited for wallpapers.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

vampireshark wrote:
Chibi wrote:
Lithray wrote:
East of Texas, I don't think there any states with a speed limit higher than 70 mph/112 kph. In NC, it's 70 on very few highways, but you deal with speeds of 65 mph/104 kph most of the time.
Although some roads in Texas have speed limits of 80 mph/128 kph, as Shm Jay said, but those highways are few and far between. Even then, Texas has a statewide nighttime speed limit of 65 mph.
In Michigan we have 70 mph on all interstates and 55 on all highways (no tolls on any interstates). IIRC it was 75 on interstates in Maine (might be due to their being tolls) but 65 in Vermont and New Hampshire (no tolls).
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Here's it's what? 70 on a motorway or dual carriageway (possibly similar to your "interstate/highway" distinction), 30 in built up areas and 60 otherwise, but it can always be overridden by a speed limit sign. They're thinking of changing the 70 to 80 in a couple of years' time.

I find it weird that your speed limits are all in multiples of 5. Also, it does annoy me that we're like the only two countries to use mph on roads. Everywhere else uses km/h....

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

finlay wrote:I find it weird that your speed limits are all in multiples of 5.
AFMCW Adpihi with its dozenal numeral-system, speed-limits are all multiples of 6; furthermore they're all 20 (dozenal; 24 decimal) apart.
16 (decimal 18)
36 (decimal 42)
56 (decimal 66)
76 (decimal 90)
96 (decimal 114)
B6 (decimal 138)

(Of course their distance unit isn't our "mile" nor is their time unit our "hour".)

I think it's easier if the speed-limit is always a two-digit number with an odd "first" (higher-value, "decades") digit and with half-the-base for the "last" (units) digit.

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

Well, I made this to use as my avatar, but since avatars aren't working… :( . It's the Ancient Greek word ὁ Κρόμμυον, which is my moniker in Greek class. I originally hand-drew it, and then filled it in in Gimp.
Attachments
MonoKrómmyon Av.gif
MonoKrómmyon Av.gif (3.7 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
MonoKrómmyon.png
MonoKrómmyon.png (92.46 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

And more speed limits! Or at least the most common speed limits. This time for Myon, units are kesan/ceekand. A kesa is roughly 2 feet/.6 meters, and a ceekand is about a hundredth of a second longer than 1 second. (This is an alien planet, after all, though it still has ties to Earth.)

20: ~25mph/40kph - In town
30: ~40mph/60kph - In town, but major road
40: ~55mph/90kph - Country roads
50: ~65mph/110kph - Major country roads/highways in town or in mountains
60: ~80mph/130kph - Highways in certain areas (hills/mountains not large enough to warrant the previous limit) when not the following
==: no speed limit
=X=: End of no speed limit, one of the above signs would follow this one.
Attachments
Myonian speed limits.png
Myonian speed limits.png (8.38 KiB) Viewed 3146 times
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

Programmed telephone poles and a tool for them in the editor, and then built a level that might actually be worth keeping, for my game. Zoomed out screenshot from the in-game editor:

Online dictionary for my conlang Vanga: http://royalrailway.com/tungumaalMiin/Vanga/

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

MisterBernie
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by MisterBernie »

...why are there guillotines on the rooftops D:
Constructed Voices - Another conlanging/conworlding blog.
Latest post: Joyful Birth of the Oiled One

Skomakar'n
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Skomakar'n »

MisterBernie wrote:...why are there guillotines on the rooftops D:
Why is there a pink blob on a giant bottle of champagne, riding through the city with a pumpkin on his head? e;

Because it's a game. It doesn't have to make sense as long as it's fun to play!

The guillotines are nice. They have four different sound effects and only drop when the player tries go through them. Because of their perspective, they're also divided into layers, and the front beam is drawn above the character's layer, obscuring him if he goes through, and the back beam behind him. The top and the bottom are collision responsive. I like how it's working out.

#undef FEMALE

Of an Ernst'ian one.

blank stare II
Lebom
Lebom

Post by blank stare II »

I made an artifact today. It's a conweapon. It's called a stone sling. These were used in antiquity by just about everybody, and that's no exaggeration. Most of us only know about the sling from the story of David and Goliath, but the Greeks were renowned for their use of it(especially the Balearics), the Romans used them in their military behind their archers because they had better range.
I have made and used slings for the past two years. I once did a lot of damage to a guy's truck with a rock(got in a world of trouble for that one); a friend of mine killed a bird. Within the first five throws, I can hit a stopsign from about 30 feet away.
My conpeople use them - that's my excuse for calling this an artifact.
This sling was crocheted from nylon line I bought at a hardware store*. The black is a shoelace. I'm going to bleach the shoelace tomorrow so it isn't such an eyesore. Other than said shoelace, the whole thing is one single piece of nylon - no cutting or tying at all. I have enough left for like five more :)
Total cost: less than a gallon of gas.

URL of the above image

Notice the pouch is split, in order to conform to just about any projectile. I use rocks like the one in the picture, or little footballs I make from concrete, or golf balls.

If you want to learn to sling, or to make one[it isn't difficult] check out slinging.org! It's a great hobby, especially if you live near some woods or a lake. Don't aim it in the direction of your neighbor's truck like I did.

*yes I crochet
Last edited by blank stare II on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
- J Burke