Creativity of the day

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Creativity of the day

Post by Drydic »

Jetboy wrote:Well, I made this to use as my avatar, but since avatars aren't working… :( . It's the Ancient Greek word ὁ Κρόμμυον, which is my moniker in Greek class. I originally hand-drew it, and then filled it in in Gimp.
The Forest with a Thousand Ewes...
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Proof that having limited internet access at the present doesn't mean I haven't been doing stuff. It might actually have helped some with my creativity.

(Yes, the passport itself is supposed to be rather low-tech.)

More stuff will probably be coming tomorrow.
Last edited by vampireshark on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Some of this stuff is obviously a rip-off from Euro notes ;)

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Guitarplayer wrote:Some of this stuff is obviously a rip-off from Euro notes ;)
Well, of course. Looking at "successful" examples of money is excellent inspiration for making one's own, because it also tells you what's doable and what's less so. Plus, with the notes being heavily inspired/drawn from the Euro, German Mark, and Romanian new leu, there'll be at least some similarities (if not, then the mission's not quite accomplished).

Cathbad
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Cathbad »

What's the rationale behind the different National Bank "offices"/branches?

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Cathbad wrote:What's the rationale behind the different National Bank "offices"/branches?
It's similar to, in Germany, how there are several different offices for the Deutsche Bundesbank (national bank) all across the country. The branches are there to facilitate transactions with the national bank such as coin and banknote delivery to smaller banks and businesses; to issue certified checks (only the BNFT can legally certify a check/cheque) in Francs, Ilian Dénar, and other currencies; to provide for exchange of demonetized currency; to issue Federal securities; and to exchange foreign securities for Francs, among other things. Those offices are the main offices, which provide all the services and have more regular hours, but there's one branch of some form or description in each canton/region (18 in all).

Oh, and I took the old poster, cleaned it up a bit, and here it is now:

Ulrike Meinhof
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

It looks great, best conmoney I've seen! The only thing that stands out as fake to me is the font, what font is that?
Attention, je pelote !

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

vampireshark wrote:
Well, of course. Looking at "successful" examples of money is excellent inspiration for making one's own, because it also tells you what's doable and what's less so. Plus, with the notes being heavily inspired/drawn from the Euro, German Mark, and Romanian new leu, there'll be at least some similarities (if not, then the mission's not quite accomplished).
And this is exactly what people did historically, on a scale that makes this look like only very loose inspiration at most in comparison. During many periods, outright forgery or duplication with only small changes of coins that were widely used or had a great deal of prestige tied to them by states other than that which created the original coin was very much the norm. (Of course, conversely, many states historically did not bother in the first place, and hence used the more widespread and prestigious coinage of other states rather than even trying to maintain their own, a state of affairs that was in place in practice* in much of Europe and the Americas to quite a late date.)

* as just because individual states might nominally have their own national currencies did not mean that these were what the general population actually used, e.g. in the US in the decades following the revolution there, which had an official national currency but where the de facto national currency was the Spanish Dollar
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Travis B. wrote:
vampireshark wrote:
And this is exactly what people did historically, on a scale that makes this look like only very loose inspiration at most in comparison. During many periods, outright forgery or duplication with only small changes of coins that were widely used or had a great deal of prestige tied to them by states other than that which created the original coin was very much the norm. (Of course, conversely, many states historically did not bother in the first place, and hence used the more widespread and prestigious coinage of other states rather than even trying to maintain their own, a state of affairs that was in place in practice* in much of Europe and the Americas to quite a late date.)

* as just because individual states might nominally have their own national currencies did not mean that these were what the general population actually used, e.g. in the US in the decades following the revolution there, which had an official national currency but where the de facto national currency was the Spanish Dollar
Oh, it's still happening! Montenegro, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, East Timor, Ecuador, El Salvador, Panama, to name a few... they all use currencies of other countries, maybe with a cosmetic variant or two (Monaco and San Marino mint their own euros; East Timor, Ecuador, and Panama mint "centavo" or "centesimo" coins to complement the US dollar). You also have cases like Bulgaria and Bosnia who use currencies that are, really, just cosmetic variants of the Deutsche Mark (no offense to Bulgarians). And, of course, there are some countries where other currencies are preferred to the national currency.

And part of what I am doing is loose inspiration, in a way, because there are surprisingly few con-currencies produced (web or physical) that I've seen. I mean, Mecislau has the Novegradian mark (which looks awesome), but that's the only one I've seen and, in the absence of others, I just do what I can to make the money look realistic. Likewise with the visas, passports, stamps, and other things: I want them to look at least somewhat realistic.

Ulrike Meinhof wrote:It looks great, best conmoney I've seen! The only thing that stands out as fake to me is the font, what font is that?
The numbers are in Sakkal Majala (I think that's how it's spelled) and the lettering is in Trebuchet (looked nice and neutral to me). But thanks, in any case.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

May I suggest Linux Libertine and Biolinum and their various cuts? Biolinum is an organohumanist (or wossname) like Optima. Libertine is a plain old renaissance antiqua like Times, except prettier.

Jar Jar Binks
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jar Jar Binks »

Times is not a "renaissance antiqua". It is a chimaera, a thing that should not be. If you want your con-country to look third world, by all means use Times, but if you want professional-looking con-currency, find a real traditional serif font and no, Palatino is not a traditional serif font, everything I said about Times applies to Palatino as well. The various Garamonds are good examples of "renaissance antiqua" ("old style"); if you want something that looks kiiiind of like Times but more traditional, try Baskerville.

Lithray
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Lithray »

blank stare II wrote: This sling was crocheted from nylon line I bought at a hardware store*. The black is a shoelace. I'm going to bleach the shoelace tomorrow so it isn't such an eyesore.
*yes I crochet
Don't bleach it. Changing colors makes it seem authentic. I knit. I can purl, and make a cable with the best of them. I have made sweaters, mittens, afghans, potholders...

I don't have any pictures. Though I could never figure out which seemed more gay.

blank stare II
Lebom
Lebom

Post by blank stare II »

Lithray wrote:
blank stare II wrote: This sling was crocheted from nylon line I bought at a hardware store*. The black is a shoelace. I'm going to bleach the shoelace tomorrow so it isn't such an eyesore.
*yes I crochet
Don't bleach it. Changing colors makes it seem authentic. I knit. I can purl, and make a cable with the best of them. I have made sweaters, mittens, afghans, potholders...

I don't have any pictures. Though I could never figure out which seemed more gay.
Any sort of creativity is its own defense. And luckily you found yourself on a board full of people who value creative expression in and of itself, despite(or in spite of) the way people view it. After all, most of us have at least one friend(i have several) who think we're nerds for inventing languages etc. They're just jealous of all the skill it takes 8)
Having said that, since you can make a good cable, you should try your hand at making a sling. There's not much that you could knit that would be more masculine than that.

I am braiding this one - the pouch will be the hard part because I am doing it 100% by hand, i.e. without a crochet hook or a needle or anything.

This finished sling has a leather pouch and bits of dog leash for the cords. I modeled it after the way the Apaches made theirs.

I get a big kick out of playing my own language game–it’s a unique thrill only conlangers know.
- J Burke

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

A sketch of my brother's sleeping cat I made yesterday; he moved before I got too far, and I put the ears in after that, so they're not too great. I'm still pretty happy with it; I've been wanting to sketch one of the cats for a while now.

EDIT: don't know why the board won't display it horizontally.
Attachments
Milo Sketch ZBB.jpg
Milo Sketch ZBB.jpg (164.3 KiB) Viewed 3666 times
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

Lithray wrote:Don't bleach it. Changing colors makes it seem authentic
What is "authentic" about not having enough of the same kind of string? Are places with large quantities of string available fake dreamworlds made up by the Man?

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

THAT might be.

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

vampireshark wrote:Oh, and I took the old poster, cleaned it up a bit, and here it is now:
!!!!

The Duke of Nuke, he has totally vanished! Would it be too creepy to send him an sms?!
<King> Ivo, you phrase things in the most comedic manner

[quote="Jal"][quote="jme"]Thats just rude and unneeded.[/quote]That sums up Io, basically. Yet, we all love him.[/quote]

Herra Ratatoskr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

I've just finished up a jQuery plugin that makes web content act sort of like an ebook. Take a peek at my demo.

*Note, doesn't work yet in any version of IE.
I am Ratatosk, Norse Squirrel of Strife!

There are 10 types of people in this world:
-Those who understand binary
-Those who don't

Mater tua circeta ibat et pater tuus sambucorum olficiebat!

blank stare II
Lebom
Lebom

Post by blank stare II »

Pthug wrote:What is "authentic" about not having enough of the same kind of string? Are places with large quantities of string available fake dreamworlds made up by the Man?
dhokarena56 wrote:THAT might be.
dhok, that post made my day. I still laugh about the idea of "shooting electronic arrows at synthetic buffalo"

But I do see how the obviously accidental multicoloredness of the sling makes it look more authentic. If it looked too perfect and pristine, it wouldn't give the impression of being made by a folk craftsman. That is, someone who made it for use, as opposed to for market.
I get a big kick out of playing my own language game–it’s a unique thrill only conlangers know.
- J Burke

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

blank stare II wrote:But I do see how the obviously accidental multicoloredness of the sling makes it look more authentic. If it looked too perfect and pristine, it wouldn't give the impression of being made by a folk craftsman. That is, someone who made it for use, as opposed to for market.
Why, are "folk craftsmen" too stupid to know how much string they will need before making something? Seems like the modifier there should be "bad".

blank stare II
Lebom
Lebom

Post by blank stare II »

Sir, you make a good point.
- J Burke

blank stare II
Lebom
Lebom

Neography

Post by blank stare II »

New featural script. Just like Tolkien's elves, my conpeople will be plagued by dyslexia :)

- J Burke

Jetboy
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Jetboy »

What did you use to write that? It's quite prettily done.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
–Herm Albright
Even better than a proto-conlang, it's the *kondn̥ǵʰwéh₂s

blank stare II
Lebom
Lebom

Post by blank stare II »

Itoya brand double headed wide tipped felt marker. Mocha colored ink, using the 1.5mm fine tip
- J Burke

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Neography

Post by TomHChappell »

I am impressed.

blank stare II wrote:Just like Tolkien's elves, my conpeople will be plagued by dyslexia :)
Why? Are there lots of mirror-image pairs, or pairs of characters one of which is a rotation of the other? Or, pairs that differ only in size?