Creativity of the day

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Creativity of the day

Post by Bob Johnson »

din wrote:It felt fantastic being the only guy in the yarn section. It's like feminism for men.
learn this and other useful tricks in How to Pick Up Women and/or Gay Men, on sale now for only 3 easy payments of $9.99

din
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by din »

@ Bob & bulbaquil: Hahaha, one sentence, two business models! I'm gonna be rich, some day.

@ Sko: Maybe. I'd probably end up not wearing it because it doesn't fit quite right. There are too many things that can go wrong. My boyfriend wants a soft and warm blanket though, so that could be a possible next project (that'll take up a few months and way too much money)
— o noth sidiritt Tormiott

Lithray
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Lithray »

Bob Johnson wrote:
din wrote:It felt fantastic being the only guy in the yarn section. It's like feminism for men.
learn this and other useful tricks in How to Pick Up Gay Men, on sale now for only 3 easy payments of $9.99
I know how knit. I have made scarves for all the grandmothers. Cable, purled, and alternating colors. A blanket. and even hat. I have not learned how to crochet yet.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

Lithray wrote:
Bob Johnson wrote:
learn this and other useful tricks in How to Pick Up _____ Gay Men, on sale now for only 3 easy payments of $9.99
I know how knit. I have made scarves for all the grandmothers. Cable, purled, and alternating colors. A blanket. and even hat. I have not learned how to crochet yet.
yes, there are no women on here. this is the internet after all

Lithray
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Lithray »

Now there are no female con linguists. The one that does show up is a celebrity and goddess who everyone claims is in teen years but she herself claims to be over 300. Bianca Mangum. She is quite the language inventor. If only there were more. Rumor has there are more girls on the CBB. Every where else girls on the internet enjoy anonymity and become complete witches thus getting shunded and forced off the internet. Guys are better but not by much.

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

Lithray wrote:Now there are no female con linguists. The one that does show up is a celebrity and goddess who everyone claims is in teen years but she herself claims to be over 300. Bianca Mangum. She is quite the language inventor. If only there were more. Rumor has there are more girls on the CBB. Every where else girls on the internet enjoy anonymity and become complete witches thus getting shunded and forced off the internet. Guys are better but not by much.
Uh, hi.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

Lithray you're not funny.
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

Lithray
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Lithray »

Not here I said everywhere else. He he

*runs and curses inability to tell gender from name.

Jar Jar Binks
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jar Jar Binks »

still not funny

Nannalu
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nannalu »

Calm it, ladies.

Women just want something to whinge about sometimes, don't they?
næn:älʉː

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Fuck, I was bored.

Plus, I decided to, for the Telèmor Banknotes, change the signature used to one actually made by me.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

The reverse of the 20 sh. looks a bit … confusing, methinks.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Guitarplayer wrote:The reverse of the 20 sh. looks a bit … confusing, methinks.
Yeah, now that you mention it, it does look rather confusing. What I did for the banknote involved taking an old picture (All the pictures used for these banknotes are mine, taken during my travels. Nobody else's.) of a garden in Swansea (Singleton Park), running an outline effect on it, applying a color filter, and then adding it to the banknote as a darkening layer. The picture did have a lot of leaves, so... of course, since I didn't run any contrast filters to eliminate some of the leaves, the picture has a lot of them.

That being said, it's a draft of the reverse as I don't have another signature yet and banknotes are generally signed, so it's subject to some change/simplification. Complicated makes it harder to counterfeit, but more costly to print, and since the note only has a value of about USD 4 (EUR 3)...

(And thanks for the feedback.)

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Aras banknotes, from my conworld. I used the Latin alphabet and numerals because I don't have a font yet. Inspired by Euro banknotes, I combine different colors and the chronology-architecture theme.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

They're nicer than the Euro notes in that they're not as empty. However, the numbers in the top-right corner of the reverse is sometimes a bit hard to read. Or is that on purpose and some kind of anti-counterfeit measure?

What's up with that castle-like building on the 1000 Aras note even after what looks like it could refer to modern glass-and-steel architecture? Or is Hel·lea set in a post-whateverist world?
Last edited by Jipí on Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Ooooh perrty, though I imagine economically-speaking they'd waste quite a bit of ink to print.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Guitarplayer wrote:They're nicer than the Euro notes in that they're not as empty. However, the numbers in the top-right corner of the reverse is sometimes a bit hard to read. Or is that on purpose and some kind of anti-counterfeit measure?

What's up with that castle-like building on the 1000 Aras note even after what looks like it could refer to modern glass-and-steel architecture? Or is Hel·lea set in a post-whateverist world?
The upper-right numbers are not one of the anti-counterfeit measures, but they're made that way in purpose. It was to add some color to the upper white strip.

The last significant architectural wave of the industrial era is represented in the 500 Aras note; it was a typical glass-and-steel architecture, with examples very close in concept to our current skyscrapers. Some decades ago there were important political and socio-cultural changes in Taura, which led to a new world, where scientific knowledge is expanding and accelerating, making possible a technological singularity. The ideas and concerns around these events together with an ecological sensibility are reflected by that organic style, shown in the 1000 Aras note. The building depicted is a house, made in stone (a risen in value material), but not all the new buildings are made with it, nor are villas like that house (apartments/flats are very common too). The glass-and-steel style is still in vogue, but now shows more organic designs.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Viktor77 wrote:Ooooh perrty, though I imagine economically-speaking they'd waste quite a bit of ink to print.
As far as I know, these banknotes are not made with paper but some kind of new material, plastic-like but not an oil product. So they don't use ink; color isn't added chemically.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Izambri wrote:The upper-right numbers are not one of the anti-counterfeit measures, but they're made that way in purpose. It was to add some color to the upper white strip.
I meant the big ones running vertically, not the horizontal in the white strip.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Guitarplayer wrote:
Izambri wrote:The upper-right numbers are not one of the anti-counterfeit measures, but they're made that way in purpose. It was to add some color to the upper white strip.
I meant the big ones running vertically, not the horizontal in the white strip.
Ah, these ones. I don't find them particularly hard to read.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

The 100 Aras note also has the value in brown on a brown background on the obverse. That is really not that advisable to do, I think.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Guitarplayer wrote:The 100 Aras note also has the value in brown on a brown background on the obverse. That is really not that advisable to do, I think.
The 100 Aras is orange, and the value looks fine to me, IMO, both on the screen and in printed form.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Izambri wrote:
Guitarplayer wrote:The 100 Aras note also has the value in brown on a brown background on the obverse. That is really not that advisable to do, I think.
The 100 Aras is orange, and the value looks fine to me, IMO, both on the screen and in printed form.
This is where you find out that colorblind people are those that can have problems distinguishing certain colors. They both look brown to me too. I can read it, but it's a really bad shade of orange to use.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

You've used the same colour as the background on every note, though. I think the 10 and the 500 are worse for it. You could have it a lighter or darker shade of the same colour, perhaps, but I'd maybe give it a bold outline. The only reason to have a massive numeral is to cater for people with sight issues, anyway, so if you've got numerals that are then difficult to read for some people you're failing in that regard. (I'm also talking about every note here, just in case you missed that...)

They're quite nice, though, and I like them.. The only other thing I'd say is that many of the designs don't seem to be "well-integrated" with the design in some ways, like it's obvious you've just copy-pasted them over the rest of the banknotes, and it might work better if the cross-hatching patterns extended over them, if that makes sense.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

Izambri's notes are cool, but rather impractical due to, like finlay, Guitarplayer, and DG mentioned, the lack of contrast with the numbers. I vote for lightening up the backdrop a bit to allow the number to stand out more (or darken the number) and making more use of darkening/multiplying layers to allow some of the underprint to permeate better.

Also, now that I can get reliable access to my barcode maker, more stuff:
Whee!
Whee!
Ilia Vignette 2C.png (161.71 KiB) Viewed 3601 times