The Official ZBB Quote Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The Official ZBB Quote Thread

Post by sirdanilot »

The Chinese people that are a bit more sexually attractive are those that look more European-like. I think this lady looks a bit more european-like. At least she has probably gone through some effort to look like that.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

masako wrote:
sirdanilot wrote:I fail to see how Chinese people can be considered sexually attractive. I just don't see it. Classic chinese beauty, yes, but not sexually attractive.
nothing to see here
*fap fap fap*
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

I wonder what makes her look western in your eyes

I'd not be surprised if it was the fact that she's pretty much hot as fuck.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

sirdanilot wrote:The Chinese people that are a bit more sexually attractive are those that look more European-like.
Possibly even Scottish.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

The main reason is that she has a fairly white skin. Now having white skin is an ideal in some Asian countries (I know it is so in Japan, not sure about China), I do not know whether this is in order to look more like europeans or whether this was already so since ancient times, but she has certainly succeeded in that.

She looks more white-skinned (and european) in the top picture than in the bottom picture. I find her less attractive in the bottom picture (though probably that's mostly due to photoshopping).

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Don't most Chinese people have pretty light skin? Like, sure Khmer and Thai and such can be significantly darker, but do the Han Chinese even differ in skin tone to a statistically significant degree from Europeans? The differences in phenotype seem to manifest in other, different ways.

"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Xephyr wrote:Don't most Chinese people have pretty light skin?
Indeed.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

sirdanilot wrote:The main reason is that she has a fairly white skin. Now having white skin is an ideal in some Asian countries (I know it is so in Japan, not sure about China), I do not know whether this is in order to look more like europeans or whether this was already so since ancient times
細腰雪膚 ("tiny waist, skin of snow") has been a stereotyped description of classical female beauty since at least the late Qing period. I don't think this is an ideal you can ascribe to the arrival of Westerners.
Xephyr wrote:Don't most Chinese people have pretty light skin? Like, sure Khmer and Thai and such can be significantly darker, but do the Han Chinese even differ in skin tone to a statistically significant degree from Europeans?
Statistically significant, but with considerable overlap:
Thong, Jee, Sun, & Biossy wrote:The average size of random melanosomes of "Asian skin" for Chinese individuals of Fitzpatrick phototype IV through V was measured to be 1.36 ± 0.15 μm² x 10−² which was between the higher value of 1.44 ± 0.67 μm² x 10−² measured for "African/American skin" of Fitzpatrick phototype VI and the lower value of 0.94 ± 0.48 μm² x 10−² measured for "Caucasian skin" of Fitzpatrick phototype II.
In other words, the largest "Caucasian" melanosomes (1.42 μm²) were larger than the average-size "Asian" melanosome (1.36 μm²). There are plenty of Han Chinese around here and it's not at all unusual to see individuals with whiter skin than most of the Caucasians on campus. (Not least of all because more of the White people here seem to sport tans.)

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

His Grand Knowfulness Sir Danilot of Dutchville, just Dan to his family wrote:Well okay that was indeed not very nuanced of me.
Introspection in its rarest form.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

linguoboy wrote:
sirdanilot wrote:The Chinese people that are a bit more sexually attractive are those that look more European-like.
Possibly even Scottish.
Aw, maaan, and here i was hoping for pictures of a hot, read-headed babe of scottish and han ancestry. I are disappoint.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

linguoboy wrote:There are plenty of Han Chinese around here and it's not at all unusual to see individuals with whiter skin than most of the Caucasians on campus. (Not least of all because more of the White people here seem to sport tans.)
yeah Hong Kong also has that thing going on, at least for women, about avoiding the sun so as not to look like a labourer ... so much so that it's preferable to drive around with a fucking welding mask on
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Since this is actually the quote thread:
masako wrote:
His Grand Knowfulness Sir Danilot of Dutchville, just Dan to his family wrote:Well okay that was indeed not very nuanced of me.
Introspection in its rarest form.

JAL

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

xD not Western at all, just begging the question

No True Asian Hotswoman Phallusy

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

grooooaaan

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

sirdanilot wrote:Names in the Western World are not directly connected anymore to their etymological origins, and they are also not directly connected to their original intended meaning.

In fact many people names Nate or Nathan will probably have no idea what the original meaning of the name is and, even, only vaguely that Nate is connected to Nathaniel. The name has been abstracted to an, in essence, meaningless word which refers only to you (and others who happen to have the same name). Because it that it makes no sense to translate your name into another language.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

It's okay to quote me and all but you shouldn't cut out random bits of the original quote for your own personal benefit. Here is the true quote. If you really really must cut out a bit of the quote, use somethign like [...] to signify that you left something out.
Names in the Western World are not directly connected anymore to their etymological origins, and they are also not directly connected to their original intended meaning. If your name is Nathaniel you name originally means 'Given of God' (as it's a Hebrew name; source first hit on Google), but you aren't called Given-of-God you are Nathaniel. In fact many people names Nate or Nathan will probably have no idea what the original meaning of the name is and, even, only vaguely that Nate is connected to Nathaniel. The name has been abstracted to an, in essence, meaningless word which refers only to you (and others who happen to have the same name). Because it that it makes no sense to translate your name into another language.

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

sirdanilot wrote:It's okay to quote me and all ... for your own personal benefit

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Torco wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Possibly even Scottish.
Aw, maaan, and here i was hoping for pictures of a hot, read-headed babe of scottish and han ancestry. I are disappoint.
Ruth Negga often looks Chinese. Try this, for instance:

But she can also be European:

Or she can be African:

I'm not sure what she looks like here:
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ ... a1a09c.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/f96cd70ba58f ... o1_500.jpg

...wait, sorry, this is the quote thread, isn't it, not the Ruth Negga thread... [and now I'm looking at a bunch of her photos and thinking that she seems to do at least some of her roles in blackface. No way was her Shirley Bassey the same colour as in most of her photos! Is blackface an OK thing then, if the person looks kind of african anyway!?]

Anyway, Negga's not Han-Scottish... she's actually Hiberno-Ethiopian. But I think the 'Ethiopian', if you change the hair and skin colour, can look quite Chinese. She's massively hotter and more beautiful in real life, btw. I think maybe part of that is the way that she can look totally different from slightly different angles, which obviously a photo can't capture.

In other news: *sigh*... Zhang Ziyi.... *sigh*
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Her make-up in the first photo reminds me of Cirque du Soleil performers who are often Eastern European but who often look Chinese with their make up. Of course there are those too who are Chinese, but I have googled a number of performers who I were surprised to find were Eastern European.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

In the picture with the plastic cup she could look a bit Spanish. In fact, I reckon if that picture spoke she'd do it with a Penelope Cruz type accent. :wink:
It was about time I changed this.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

yissss.... not han-scottish, but close enough :D, ute human is cute.

Oddly enough, she bears a lot of the traits of one of the ethnic groups of my conworld, if you tune her melanin up a couple notches. nais.

Aili Meilani
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aili Meilani »

gestaltist wrote:
Salmoneus wrote:If you're going to try for pretentiousness,
Have I been sitting in your spot? So sorry. Here, you sit here.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

smirlat

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

Theta wrote:If colonialism is dead, then when did it die, and why are there people alive today who use conlang forums and are interested in creating new colonies?
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

rotting bones wrote:
Theta wrote:If colonialism is dead, then when did it die, and why are there people alive today who use conlang forums and are interested in creating new colonies?
I don't know that colonialism in the strict sense in which it's used anytime anyone says " if colonialism is dead " has anything to do with the more general sense of founding a colony. I don't know that, say, the menonite settlements in the brazilian pampas are any sort of german or menonite colonial venture.

to be more precise, colonialism stricto sensu has to do with establishing political dominance over a territory, generally through suzerain states or direct protectorates, in such a way as to ensure that certain policies are put in place so as to benefit the economy of the colonial overlord. the colonial subject has its natural resources and labour force exploited by the overlord and the overlord provides security, political hegemony, capital and, in some cases, exports manufactured goods and technology towards the colonial subject. I'm pretty sure Zontas' colony, misguided as it may be, isn't precisely geared towards employing his own vast capital reserves towards exploiting the thinly populated, resource rich, vast untamed lands of the France du Nord. If anything, it's reverse colonialism.

<which is never a wise way to go: hey, this is bad... i guess anti-this must be good!>