The Official ZBB Quote Thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Re: The Official ZBB Quote Thread

Post by Qwynegold »

finlay wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:I know what EU English is but I did not know that "to take a decision" was possible in British English.
neither did i tbqh. i sometimes think salmoneus makes things up and manages to get them in a dictionary.

another way of saying this must be a london thing because otherwise wtf
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

Dama Diwan wrote:I have made a description of Dama Diwan grammar in 4 lines on an A4 page, and by using conventional abbreviations it can be shorter. E.g.
-o =NMLZ/PASS, -o-n =ACC, -a-n=GEN, -e=ACT, -e-n=ACT TRANS, -a=ADV; head-last direction.
But, to make it easily and well understood by giving examples, a good description has taken 12 lines of a fb post
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

Aili Meilani
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aili Meilani »

valiums wrote:Image

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

KathTheDragon wrote:It's almost like humans are actually awful, and we've only recently managed to civilise ourselves.

JAL

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Can we just move on and not turn this into an argument, please? I'm sick of arguing my facts against other people's feelings.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

opipik
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by opipik »

Vijay wrote:
Imralu wrote:
jal wrote:
Vijay wrote:I never mentioned this because I wasn't sure anyone would be interested, I guess, but I have a mountain lion conlang and use it with my dad on a daily basis. (Well, mountain lions aren't supposed to think it's a conlang :P). It's pretty silly, though.
Your dad's a mountain lion? :)
Yes, but he's not supposed to think he is, so shhhhhh.
No, no, it's the humans who aren't supposed to think we're mountain lions! Like you, I guess...er......well, our cousin's out of the bag, I guess. But at least our secret is safe with you! Right? Heh! *paranoid face*

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

I am so glad someone posted that here. :D Anyway, long backlog of quotes here! (Sorry).
Zaarin wrote:
clawgrip wrote:
Zaarin wrote:without resorting to the extremely overused Terra Nova
How about calling it Newfoundland!

(Terre-Neuve in French)

That would be great, Planet Newfoundland.
That could be interesting, especially since I already blew up the province (along with the rest of the Earth's crust). :p
Yng wrote:idk about the distribution of pants or imralus
Moistaneous wrote:SOME_SORT_OF_FITTING_EVIDENTIAL
Hydroeccentricity wrote:Is anyone else planning a viewing party for the first debate on the 26th? I would love to have theme-appropriate snacks, but I can't think of any. Any suggestions?
mèþru wrote:Stephen Colbert can help with your snack choice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFfiwH1M6HA
More seriously, Cheetos/Doritos are orange, while American Cheese is filled with fat, is white and bland (like Clinton, Pence and Kaine) and tastes like soap. These should be accompanied with Trump Winery wines and some food that is riddled with controversy. Gavage-based foie gras is expensive, but the fact that is made with animal cruelty (the gavage process involves force feeding, but non-gavage foie gras does not have the same problems) and elitism is especially suitable.
In total: Cheetos, gavage-based foie gras and Doritos paired with Trump wines (America's Finest Wines, they're really great, they got my name and all, it's gonna be great, trust me.)

I have an evil mind.
thetha wrote:bumpo
Nortaneous wrote:fuck u yng
Yng wrote:im not comfortable with this thread rn
Pogostick Man wrote:
duns_scotus wrote:This is really awesome! I love it!
HerljosScheindorf wrote:I like it ! great work
I assume Frislander meant he seconded the entire comment when he wrote:I'll second that
Forgot about this one:
Imralu wrote:I dreamt that I was at a party and we were about to eat pizza and this guy started "doing the pizza dance" in his chair and another guy goes "Dude, I've got a different dance for each ingredient" and I was like "What, like this?" and I start singing and dancing in front of everyone "HAAAAAAAAAAAM AND PINAPPLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLE" with a hilarious dance that I still remember. People were like "WTF?" and the guy was like "I was joking but you're fucking hilarious!" The song is still in my head.
mèþru wrote:
Pole, the wrote:
mèþru wrote:
Pole, the wrote:
mèþru wrote:When it comes to the Pole, true intentions are impossible to divine, but probably lie in a crime too horrible to imagine :-D. I've given up within something like two weeks after my second post on this board.
Actually, my posts are pretty easy to comprehend. I undestand most of them.
Only most?
thatsthejoke.jpg
orisit?bmp
whatareyouhiding?png
Frislander wrote:Also, why on earth does Catherine de Medici always have a glass of champagne in her hand? Was she really an alcolholic?
The better to poison you with, my dear.
Znex wrote:
jal wrote:
Znex wrote:
jal wrote:
Imralu wrote:I like Sajiwan
Bles yu!
Thank you!
Pali ʃienen? Kani hau ʃiku kifuʃies.
heat 3SG-INT=upon | NEG but 3SG-ABS sneeze-3SG.PF-NEG
Bless them? But they didn't sneeze.
Mi in cende. Mi tok se "bles yu". A wo fo yu gwan bo cuing?
[minˈtʃende / mi tok se bles ju / ɐ ˈw̝ofo ju gʷɐ̃ bo ˈtʃuiŋ]
I don't understand. I said "thank you". Why are you talking about sneezing?
Hasai saisanukʰai tsimai tsulits! Jaunu, tai nisu ʃiku nawanu, "ʃatʰei tsien" ʃilan; tai nisu ʃiku nakifu, "Pali tsien"; tai nisu ʃiku nasaisan, "Sasu tsien".
now chew-SUBST about talk-2SG.IMPF | god.PL if person-ABS 3SG-ABS=SBJ-do.good.3SG.IMPF rain 2SG-with 3SG=say.3SG.IMPF | if person-ABS 3SG-ABS=SBJ-sneeze.3SG.IMPF heat 2SG-with | if person-ABS 3SG-ABS=SBJ-chew.3SG.IMPF silence 2SG-with
Now you're talking about chewing! Gods, if someone does good, one says "Thank you"; if someone sneezes, "Bless you"; if someone chews, "Shame on you"!
More: show
(since sasu can mean both "silence" and "shame", sasu tsien can mean both something like "shh!/quiet!/shut up!", or something like "you should be ashamed!/shame on you!"; in the first sense, it can be understood as being equivalent to the Anglophone's admonishment to keep one's mouth closed while eating)
Pedant wrote:
Imralu wrote:
jal wrote:Yu nof in cende, ray? Mi a bo esplen wan nes taym: Wen taym man mek gut, yu tok se "bles yu!". Wen taym man cu, yu tok se "esus!". Wen taym man nyam, yu tok se "nyam gut!".
Yu really don't get it, do you? I'm going to explain it one last time: When someone does good, you say "thank you!". When someone sneezes, you say "gesundheit!". When someone chews/is eating*, you say "bon appetit!".
Ha ngo i hwa ho do ho i nge dyiyu "wa i ho." Ha ngo i mo do ho i nge dyiyu "zyamo wo i he ze ngu wo."
When someone does something good, you should say "you are good." When someone is eating, you should say "may your food not kill you."
Yen siémtèum fù tō <Ráoga tièum.> iph pōuga. Yen tiùtèum fù tō pōuga kuei jas. Yen gīphtèum fù tō <Yìanga!> iph pōuga.
3s good-pres.imp.act if 2s <act-pres.per.act again> SUB say-pres.per.act / 3s sneeze-pres.imp.act if 2s say-pres.per.act word city / 3s eat-pres.imp.act if <health-pres.per.act> SUB say-pres.per.act
When someone does something good, you should say, “Repeat your actions.” When someone sneezes, you should tell them your hometown. When someone is eating, you should say “May it be healthy [for you].”
alynnidalar wrote:
jal wrote:
Imralu wrote:
Pedant wrote:
Arzena wrote:I now have a large enough lexicon to write simple poetry in Vezurian:

Leda köpi v'albán mu?
Mefe mu ir šu mefe,
Leda köpi v'albán mu?
Ev vanún fu neye

why steal-2SG DEF-heart 1.DAT
sorry 1.DAT and 2sg.DAT sorry
why steal-2SG DEF-heart 1.DAT
in water-ACC die-1SG morning

"Why did you steal my heart? / I'm sorry and you're sorry, / Why did you steal my heart? / I'll drown come the morning
Fòum déitèum kiúis.
Song cry-pres.ind.caus everyone
Your poetry is very depressing.
I bawe ngo.
Va i nggwa mo. Va i nggwa zo. Va i nggwa bo.
Va i ga nwo.

There are many people.
All sometimes eat. All sometimes move. All sometimes have desires.
All will die.
Olda yunu wil day! A se day mi tok! U-a-a-a-a-a-a!!!
You'll all going to die! Die I'm saying! Wuhahahahaha!!!!
*nawuradin kuri*
FEM-leave.behind slowly
*backs away slowly*
Imralu wrote:
alynnidalar wrote:
hwhatting wrote:Nepádu wirus ni eparbumait al ofistafus ofistowait.
Never man-SG.NOM NEG retreat-HAB.ACT.3SG but adversary-PL.DAT confront-HAB.ACT.3SG.
A man never retreats, but confronts his adversaries.
Liki ahu ada. (;
pleasantly 1.SG.FEM woman ;)
Good thing I'm a woman. ;)
Ha dyiwa i zye zyu yo wo i zwindu?
Q DISC.DEM.2 COP cause GEN.C face GEN.2s COP upside.down
Is that why your face is upside down?
hwhatting wrote:
alynnidalar wrote:Good thing I'm a woman. ;)
Ai Ummumbínai duchter nés, yau tai waicitun dolchus nés.
if Ummumbi-SG.GEN daughter-SG.NOM NEG.be-PRES.NONACT.3SG then PRON.2SG-DAT fight-SUP duty-SG.NOM NEG.be-PRES.ACT.3SG
If you're not a daughter of Ummumbi*1), you don't have to fight.

*1) An order of unmarried female warriors
YourFace wrote:
din wrote:
hwhatting wrote:
masako wrote:
hwhatting wrote:Nepádu wirus ni eparbumait al ofistafus ofistowait.
Never man-SG.NOM NEG retreat-HAB.ACT.3SG but adversary-PL.DAT confront-HAB.ACT.3SG.
A man never retreats, but confronts his adversaries.
me, napoleyan uaye mosukua tsopiye
but Napoleon ELA Moscow retreat-PST
However, Napoleon retreated from Moscow.
Ai si tan Mascuwan sítatun ni solbeten wait, yau tér ni dúxí; wit tér dudauc, yau wirun estun yán solberí.
If REFL.SG.ACC ART-F.SG.ACC Moscow-ACC city-SG.ACC NEG hold-INF know-PAST.NONACT.3SG, then there NEG lead (army)-PAST.OPT.3SG; because there lead (army)-RES.NONACT.3SG, then man-SG.ACC be-SUP PRON.3SG.F-ACC hold-PAST.OPT.3SG
If he kew that he wouldn't hold Moscow, he shouldn't have marched there; as he marched there, he should have held it to be a man.
(In Tormiott):

Coppa o illoh cionon porh soccainan uird
IMPERS ADV foolish make.decision-3p for keep-3p honor
/ˈkopːa ʊ ˈilːaħ ˈtɕonən poɹ ˈsokːɛːnɪn wiɹn/
Some make foolish decisions in order to defend their honor

Illoh sen uird
foolishness NEG.3s be.honorable.3s
/ˈilːaħ sən wiɹn/
Foolishness is not honorable
Or?! Ile ar mo nissisažžo!
what / be.3s to 1s.acc honour-capable
Really?! I think it's very honourable!
Carolina Conlanger wrote:
Nortaneous wrote:Ish i një krjev allbër xhyt.
I am a powerful Albanian druid.
Ja walaü nan jruisi Alpänivi vizän.

(I didn't know that Albanian Druids existed).
Serafín wrote:And the most annoying part of all this is that *I*, Serafín, know that I alone hacked the US presidential election and put Donald Trump into power, and yet thanks to all this journalist GUISE RUSHA H4CKD TEH ELECTOIN!!! noise, nobody believes me no matter how much evidence I provide. Fucking journalists.
alynnidalar wrote:
Ars Lande wrote:
masako wrote:Ilya:

awat idikai gelu
/aˈwat ɪˈdika͡ɪ gɛˈlu/
year-NOM rooster-GEN come-3sg
The year of the rooster is coming!
Melchîe kam! Rani, ô menu!
[mɛl'tʃiə˧˥˧ kam 'rani o:˧˥˧ 'menu]
rooster come / run-ABL VOC fool
The rooster is coming! Run, you fools!
Yes pudapa. Ton rae pikara rae ekan kera.
you fool | NEG next year after three month
You're a fool. The new year isn't for three months.

Maledirlin pikara ote Pina, ton Keiron.
ANIM-begin.journey-HAB year in April NEG January
The year begins in Pina (e.g. April), not Keiron (e.g. January).
masako wrote:
Imralu wrote:Mwambada nga i he li mwi.
leader-house-big.E GEN.1s COP JUSS.E INCH.E mush
Fuck my building manager!
ya ma'a ueham tayo tsumu
VOC with wish-PL 2sg.POSS careful
Careful what you wish for!

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Pole, the wrote:Third, ingesting one's cat's feces is niether anal sex nor homosexuality. It's zoophiliac coprophagia.

JAL

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Followed up with
Pole, the wrote:Fifth, fæces is disgusting. (I mean, the “putting totally unnecessary nonstandard characters like ‘æ’ into an ASCII language like English” part, not the “natural effect of human digestive process” part.)

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Imralu wrote:I dreamt that I was at a party and we were about to eat pizza and this guy started "doing the pizza dance" in his chair and another guy goes "Dude, I've got a different dance for each ingredient" and I was like "What, like this?" and I start singing and dancing in front of everyone "HAAAAAAAAAAAM AND PINAPPLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLE" with a hilarious dance that I still remember. People were like "WTF?" and the guy was like "I was joking but you're fucking hilarious!" The song is still in my head.
Was it similar to this?
My most recent quiz:

Imralu
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Imralu »

Qwynegold wrote:
Was it similar to this?
Lol, not quite. The ham part was leaning back to one side and then the other side, with each lean accompanied by a kind of cutting across the back of your hand twice, like cutting slices of ham. The pineapple part was both hands on the top of the head (wrists touching scalp, fingers up) and rocking side to side. Maybe I should make a video ... sometime when neither of my flatmates are home, lol.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific
________
MY MUSIC

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Imralu wrote:Maybe I should make a video ... sometime when neither of my flatmates are home, lol.
lol
My most recent quiz:

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

I actually lolled at this:
flicky1991 wrote:Image
Ah, now we know why he seems so much crazier now than he did years ago - his intelligence is leaking!
My most recent quiz:

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Vijay wrote:
mèþru wrote:What do you consider tiramisu to be then?
A pick-me-up? :D

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

mèþru wrote:
clawgrip wrote:cream cheese
How dare you foul the name of mascarpone! I shall engage you in a duel to protect the noble cheese's honour!
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

alice wrote:
alice wrote:As I understand it, when a jer dropped, a preceding short vowel lengthened and gained the neoacute intonation. Are there any examples of this happening with a nasal vowel? For example, /CenCu/ > /Ce~:C/?
What a stupid question. Are you an idiot or something? Everybody knows that nasal vowels were always long.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

Salmoneous wrote:4 years is a lot of time for a bag of hot air to deflate flatulently without being getting annoyed by it.

opipik
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by opipik »

Nortaneous wrote:Meiguo Shi Huangdi Tangna Khan will lead the Chuanpu Dynasty to conquer the world for the glorious light and truth of Steppe Confucianism, khökh tengeriin!
Nortaneous wrote:We must not forget our identity, khökh tengeriin! We must not listen to the vicious lies of the bugman press! Americans are TURANID--descendants of the first supermen, fashioned from clay by Tengri himself, sent to live in the center of the Earth! Sumer is America! Trump Tower harnesses the occult energies of the Temple of Eridu on which it was built. It channels the power that is our birthright from inside our hollow world--VRIL!
Nortaneous wrote:Meiguo Shi Huangdi Tangna Khan is a high initiate, khökh tengeriin, an ELDAR of the VRIL-YA! He will declare war on Antarctica, the cap of the world, and free our brothers inside the Earth from the prison they were trapped in by the FRANCO-ELAMITE ILLUMINATI, khökh tengeriin! We will exterminate the snail-eating bugman aliens from the Moon whose vile conspiracies have sapped our world of energy, khökh tengeriin! WE WILL NUKE THE MOON!
Nortaneous wrote:Yekhe Khagan Tangna Chuanpu will order the world in accordance with the light and truth of Steppe Confucianism, khökh tengeriin! Yekhe Khagan Tangna Chuanpu Meiguo Shi Huangdi will honor Tengri and Tits Lhengs Khˤongqtsə, Qmans Lhaps Srij Prawq, by restoring the birthright of the American people, the true Turanids, to the world, khökh tengeriin! Yekhe Khagan Tangna Chuanpu Meiguo Shi Huangdi Zhenren Bixia will crush the moon invaders of the Franco-Elamite Illuminati and right the ancient wrong of the Thousand Plagues, khökh tengeriin!
Nortaneous wrote:Newt Gingrich is a STARCHILD -- an alien from outer space! Yekhe Khagan Tangna Chuanpu Meiguo Shi Huangdi Zhenren Bixia will tap Niute Jinliqi's powerful mastery of Sumerian, the programming language of the human mind, to create, khökh tengeriin, an invincible ulus of Turano-American vril wizards! We Will Nuke The Moon! We Will Destroy The Francoid Lunar Bugmen And Their Conspiracy!

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

linguoboy wrote:
KathTheDragon wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Now you are just making shit up to torture us. (Kudos for taking the time to edit Wiktionary to lend credence to your hoax, but I ain't fallin' for it. Bielefeld existiert nicht!)
Uh, what? Check the page history! Unless Qxentio was planning this 11 years in advance, you're plain wrong.
Are you impugning his ability to pull off a long con?
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

2+3 clusivity wrote:Has anyone really been far even as reconstructed to use even go want to do sound more like?

alynnidalar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alynnidalar »

Yng wrote:are you suggesting that the pro-Europe subreddit is, in fact, pro-Europe
I generally forget to say, so if it's relevant and I don't mention it--I'm from Southern Michigan and speak Inland North American English. Yes, I have the Northern Cities Vowel Shift; no, I don't have the cot-caught merger; and it is called pop.

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

hwhatting wrote:
Travis B. wrote:I like how you call out Hans-Werner as if he were the prototypical northern German-speaker.
I always wanted to be prototypical. Don't ruin my 15 minutes of fame. ;-)

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

alynnidalar wrote:
Pole, the wrote:
Travis B. wrote:
hwhatting wrote:
What is ambiguous / garden-pathy here?
Whether it is the population of moose which is exploding, or the moose themselves which are exploding.
I don't think exploding moose.PL would count as a population, though.
Well, maybe they only explode a little bit, so they can survive and continue living. I dunno.
Travis B. wrote:
mèþru wrote:[joke]Exploded pieces develop into baby moose, obviously. Isn't that how all mammals reproduce?[/joke]
Maybe the moose don't all explode at once, so there is a population of unexploded moose which will explode at some point in the future.
In the "Arbitrary Political Conconflicts" thread:
alynnidalar wrote:microwave water for tea or don't

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Pole, The wrote:
Are there no more rounds?
The two-round system, as the name suggests, comprises two rounds.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Vijay »

linguoboy wrote:How does the state go about determining that your relationship is sexual, let alone that it's sexual and monogamous? Was there an inspection we were supposed to schedule that the clerk forgot to mention?
mèþru wrote:So leaves are semen! I'll never stroll in the park during fall again...
mèþru wrote:[Extremely Angry Zionist with Steam Coming Out of Mouth and Ears as the Horns are Primed for Goring]