the Old Granny thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
aardwolf
Sanci
Sanci

Post by aardwolf »

I've never heard of somebody detesting the smell of raw tomatoes.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

aardwolf wrote:I've never heard of somebody detesting the smell of raw tomatoes.
You clearly haven't been paying attention, then, as linguoboy attested to the same antipathy a year ago in the same thread. Do keep up, aard. :P
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Risla
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Risla »

Dewrad wrote:Actually, the tomatoes are wholly optional. The dish works very well with them omitted or replaced by, say, peppers.
Oh god, peppers. Ew ew ew ew ew.

Gremlins
Sanci
Sanci
Location: The western spiral arm of Great Britain (we don't have toilets)

Post by Gremlins »

Dew, I tried your bolognese recipe; but I'm sad to inform you it tasted like fail, because of the cinammon (I thought it look wierd, but I'm of the "don't knock it 'till you've tried it" school of thought")
[quote="dinnae"][quote="Sano"]I'm a Homo sapien, does that count?[/quote]

Only if you go Erectus in the presence of the same sex.[/quote]

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Gremlins wrote:Dew, I tried your bolognese recipe; but I'm sad to inform you it tasted like fail, because of the cinammon (I thought it look wierd, but I'm of the "don't knock it 'till you've tried it" school of thought")
Then either a) you used too much cinammon and should exercise restraint or b) you will be sadly disappointed when you go to Italy and eat real food there.
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Dewrad wrote:
aardwolf wrote:I've never heard of somebody detesting the smell of raw tomatoes.
You clearly haven't been paying attention, then, as linguoboy attested to the same antipathy a year ago in the same thread.
Moreover, I ran into someone with exactly the same antipathy in the line at the grill a month or so ago. He professed more tolerance of finely diced tomatoes in combination with other elements (e.g. in pico de gallo), but otherwise our profile matched almost completely. I am not alone!

Too bad I missed apple-picking this year. This would be a good time to make a clafoutis.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

This evening is the last of the three nights of Samonios, the most solemn and sacred festival of my religion, marking as it does the beginning of the new year (parenthetically then, Happy New Year guys). As such, it's an occasion of celebration. Normally I invite friends and relatives over and feed them all, but this year I'm doing something more low-key. However, the central element of the celebration is food, as Samonios isn't just a festival of the dead, it marks the beginning of winter, which is a time of feasting and plenty. The harvest is fully in, the livestock has been slaughtered and fresh booze has been made. So let's party like it's 99 BCE!

The central dish I make for this festival is cawl naw rhai- nine-things stew. It makes a good non-festival dish as well, so I thought it might be nice to share the recipe.

You will need:
  • 3 potatoes
  • 3 carrots
  • 3 turnips
  • 3 leeks
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 onion
  • 250g dried mushrooms
  • 1 kg beef stewing steak
  • 1 litre beef stock
(these are the "nine things" in question)
  • teaspoon each of rosemary, thyme and sage
  • 50g lard
For the dumplings:
  • 1 egg
  • half a cup plain flour
  • quarter of a cup grated cheese
  • 25g lard
To make this, you will need a damn large pot. Seriously. Look at the ingredients- there's a hell of a lot there.

Method:

First, lay out the ingredients on a board and ask Matrona, Ambaxtonos and Cornonos to bless the ingredients. Non-believers can skip this step, obviously. Soak the mushrooms in warm water for half an hour.

Peel and chop the potatoes, turnips, onion and carrots roughly. Trim and slice the leeks. Crush the garlic and cube the steak. Melt the lard in the pot and add the onions. Fry them gently for five minutes, add the garlic and fry for another two minutes. Then add the meat and fry it until browned.

Add the remaining vegetables, stock and the water that the mushrooms were soaking in. If the liquid does not cover the vegetables, add water until it does. Bring to the boil, add the herbs and leave to simmer over a gentle heat for two hours. During which time, go and do something productive, like writing up the recipe. Check up on it from time to time, topping up the water if it boils down too much and stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom.

To make the dumplings, rub together the lard and flour together. Mix in the cheese and the egg. Form into balls and plop into the stew. When they float to the top, they're done, and so is they stew.

Eat the stew. Eat with bread for a true carbohydrate overload.

Tarasoriku
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Tarasoriku »

linguoboy wrote:Moreover, I ran into someone with exactly the same antipathy in the line at the grill a month or so ago. He professed more tolerance of finely diced tomatoes in combination with other elements (e.g. in pico de gallo), but otherwise our profile matched almost completely. I am not alone!
Actually, I dislike tomatoes as well unless they are thoroughly hidden among other ingredients, and will only tolerate a bit of the fresh variety in selected Mexican dishes as a garnish.

German Meatballs

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef (or ground veal, or a mixture of the two works well)
1/3 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup onions (very finely chopped or even shredded with a grater)
1 egg for the binding
1/4-1/3 cup grated apple (which apple depends much on taste, you generally don't have to use a cooking-apple for this. I prefer Elstar, Fuji, or Matsuo personally best)
Splash of a dry red wine
Vegetable Oil
1 cup apple juice (or you can juice the rest of the apple you didn't shred)
3 Tbsp vinegar (cider vinegar, red wine, doesn't make much difference)
6 crushed gingersnaps (of your favorite brand)
most of an 8 oz can tomato sauce (this I always replace with pomegranate juice reduction that I sometimes make extra of, which I've been told is far less authentic, the choice is yours)
1/4 teaspoon cloves (ground)
1/2 teaspoon coriander (ground)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1 - Combine in a bowl everything except the vinegar, the gingersnaps, the apple juice, and the tomato (or pomi) sauce.
2 - Shape into meatballs
3 - Add meatballs to hot pan and cook until sides are all brown and heated through.
4 - Remove the meatballs with a slotted spoon, drain them, and keep them aside on a plate for the moment.
5 - Put the vinegar, apple juice, and sauce into a new or cleaned skillet.
6 - Cook this sauce a few minutes until it bubbles, and then add the meatballs.
7 - Cook 10 minutes if covered, more if not, and stir a few times during this.
8 - Stir into the sauce the gingersnaps and cook a few more minutes until the sauce thickens.

Serve with either a decent polou or Spätzle and red cabbage and apple sauce.
[quote="Pthug"]oh shit you just called black people in britain "african-americans"
my
god[/quote]

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Completely Different Baked Potatoes

Prep: grate a cup of cheddar (8 oz.), and preheat oven to 425 Fahrenheit. Cube enough potatoes to serve two people into 1/2-inch or 1-cm pieces and set them0 aside. Or use storebought pre-cubed frozen potatoes.

1. Sauce: in a saucepan over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup butter, then stir into it 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 teaspoon seasoning of choice (be that an Italian-spices mix, or basil, or rosemary, or Mrs. Dash, or whatever). This should make a thin paste. Stir into this 12-16 oz. (1.5 - 2 cups) canned chicken stock. Stir continuously over medium heat until the sauce is thick and boiling.

2. Stir potatoes into sauce. Pour potatoes+sauce into a 13x9 inch baking dish, or equivalent. You don't want it to be more than 3/4 inch or 2cm thick. As well, the sauce should be enough to pool on the pan bottom and thoroughly coat the potatoes, but not so much they're swimming in it. If there isn't enough sauce, stir in milk until the above description is met.

3. Top with cheddar cheese. Bake at 400-425 Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

4. Consume. Feeds two.

Optional: when stirring potatoes into sauce, stir in some type of meat as well; chopped hotdogs work well, one per person, but I imagine various types of sausage would work beautifully as well.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Radius Solis wrote:Mrs. Dash
I'm letting "Italian spices" go for the minute, but what the fuck? Mrs. Dash?

Nesescosac
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Nesescosac »

Rory wrote: Vinegar - kill weeks
What did the weeks ever do to you and how do you intend to kill them with vinegar?
I did have a bizarrely similar (to the original poster's) accident about four years ago, in which I slipped over a cookie and somehow twisted my ankle so far that it broke
What kind of cookie?
Aeetlrcreejl > Kicgan Vekei > me /ne.ses.tso.sats/

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Dewrad wrote:
It's one of those spice mixes marketed as an all-purpose seasoning for people on low-salt diets. Or rather, a brand name for a series of them. They can be quite good, really, provided you use them with salt and not instead of it. Let's see, what does mine contain... onion, black pepper, chili pepper, parsley, celery seed, basil, bay, marjoram, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper, coriander, cumin, mustard, rosemary, garlic, orange peel, carrot, "lemon juice powder", tomato, paprika. Almost everything, really. Lately I've been adding some of it to every other thing I make.

"Italian" is a common term here for a spice blend consisting of oregano, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, and sage, or anything comparable.

Tarasoriku
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Tarasoriku »

Radius Solis wrote:Let's see, what does mine contain... onion, black pepper, chili pepper, parsley, celery seed, basil, bay, marjoram, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper, coriander, cumin, mustard, rosemary, garlic, orange peel, carrot, "lemon juice powder", tomato, paprika.
So...it's chili powder. I don't think you would taste much else.
[quote="Pthug"]oh shit you just called black people in britain "african-americans"
my
god[/quote]

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Tarasoriku wrote:
Radius Solis wrote:Let's see, what does mine contain... onion, black pepper, chili pepper, parsley, celery seed, basil, bay, marjoram, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper, coriander, cumin, mustard, rosemary, garlic, orange peel, carrot, "lemon juice powder", tomato, paprika.
So...it's chili powder. I don't think you would taste much else.
No, the dominant flavor is oniony. With herbal overtones and only a touch of heat.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Radius Solis wrote:
Dewrad wrote:
It's one of those spice mixes marketed as an all-purpose seasoning for people on low-salt diets. Or rather, a brand name for a series of them. They can be quite good, really, provided you use them with salt and not instead of it. Let's see, what does mine contain... onion, black pepper, chili pepper, parsley, celery seed, basil, bay, marjoram, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper, coriander, cumin, mustard, rosemary, garlic, orange peel, carrot, "lemon juice powder", tomato, paprika. Almost everything, really. Lately I've been adding some of it to every other thing I make.

"Italian" is a common term here for a spice blend consisting of oregano, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, and sage, or anything comparable.

But.... none of those are spices?
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Post by linguoboy »

Salmoneus wrote:
But.... none of those are spices?
That's funny, they're all on my spice rack. Oh, wait, I see here that the Martha Pedant® Collection of kitchen furnishings has a "Herb-and-Spice Rack". Must be what you have in your house, Sal.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

How is using ordinary English 'pedantry'. If you refered to such things as spices, at least around here, nobody would understand you. It would be like refering to oranges as 'vegetables', or cabbages as 'fruit'.

[As it happens, I don't have a herb-and-spice-rack. I have a spice rack, and I have a shelf in my cupboard that we generally call 'the herb shelf'. Obviously, things are not always put in the taxonomically correct location - but then we sometimes, horror of horrors, have aubergines in the vegetable drawer of the fridge.]

Sorry if I've stumbled into one of your nation's deviations from English usage.

[I'm guessing the "Martha Pedant Collection" is a cultural reference?]

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Tarasoriku wrote:German Meatballs

Ingredients:
[...]
Wow. When I make meatballs for myself I actually just take 200g spiced mince meat (if unspiced, add some salt and pepper/paprika), half an onion (cut), some oats (for the Americans, toast also works if you can't get hold of oats) and an egg. This is all mixed together and thoroughly fried. With that you can eat rice or potatoes, veggies of your choice and/or salad. That's how my grandma always made them and how my mum still makes them. Yours also sounds very tasty however, but I guess it's the gourmet's variant ;)

A favourite kinda stew of mine, very easy to make:

Carrot soup with meat dumplings
(for 1 person, a little less than 2 plates full)

4 carrots (~300g I think)
4 medium-sized potatoes (ditto)
(both carrots and potatoes together should fill up 6/8 of my small 1.25 ltr pot, however)
2 not too big rough frying sausages (Frying sausages, i.e. Bratwürste, not Wieners)
1 bouillon cube or a teaspoon of bouillon
Salt if you like.

Slice the carrots and dice the potatoes. Cook them in water (add the bouillon cube/powder and maybe also a dash of salt, can't hurt) for about 20 minutes at medium heat. While the carrots are cooking, squeeze the contents of the sausages out of the guts and form little dumplings from them. When the carrots and potatoes are done, add the dumplings to the soup and let them cook until they're a homogenous meat ball (this takes about 5-10 minutes).

According to my dad, the soup tastes even stronger/better if you leave it in the fridge over night after it's cooked (with the meat added only the next day, for hygienic reasons). Don't do that in summer, though, because by experience it may get sour very easily even though it was in the fridge all night long.
Last edited by Jipí on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarasoriku
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Tarasoriku »

We always called them "German meatballs" in my house, probably because of the vinnegar and apples. I don't know where the recipe came from - we're Ukrainian but my mom's half German. Also it can't be gourmet because it's got gingersnaps in it - though I must say if you use anything like real ginger it sort of ruins the dish, and gingersnaps bring a little sugar and consistency to the sauce.

I think I'll try the soup sometime, since I just got a bunch of carrots at the greenmarket.
Salmoneus wrote:Sorry if I've stumbled into one of your nation's deviations from English usage.

[I'm guessing the "Martha Pedant Collection" is a cultural reference?]
Yes and yes. And Martha Stewart, I'm guessing.
my
god[/quote]

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Salmoneus wrote:How is using ordinary English 'pedantry'. If you refered to such things as spices, at least around here, nobody would understand you. It would be like refering to oranges as 'vegetables', or cabbages as 'fruit'.
What counts as "spice" to you, then? Is your herb/spice distinction based on whether something comes from leaves versus nuts/bark/seeds? I've heard the terms used that way before, but mostly I think we Americans often use "spice" for any flavor-adding substance that takes the form of lots of little dry bits in a canister or shaker or similar, while "herbs" mostly means whole plant parts, fresh or preserved. I'm pretty sure the term I'd use for, say, basil, varies mostly on this basis: basil is an herb when you've got leaves of it in your hand, but a spice when it's lots of little dried bits in a shaker.

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

Sticking up for Britain here, it's pretty simple. Herbs are leaves, spices are seeds, roots, stamens, bark etc. Usually a herb is a herb and a spice is a spice, but there's some confusing parts. Coriander is both a spice and a herb, since you can use the leaves (Americans call this cilantro, I think), or the seeds. I think you call that coriander?

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Yes. Also, herbs tend to be fresh or dried, while spices are ground. Herbs tend to be mild-tasting and blend in and are never hot, while spices have striking tastes that are quite different from normal food, and are often hot. In fact, I think we're more likely just to say 'spicey' rather than 'hot' - I've had to correct myself twice in this post because I realised saying spices were spicey might not help. Consequently herbs are used to compliment natural flavours, while spices are used to add additional flavours. You would know if there were spices added to something, but not necessarily herbs. Herbs tend to be things you can grow in your garden, while spices tend to be things we have to import from faraway lands. Spices are associated with zest, life, excitement, new things, and so on (often a term of mild innuendo); herbs are associated with calm, relaxation, tradition, and so forth.

Corumayas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Corumayas »

Thought I'd share a recipe a good friend just sent me... she made this when I was visiting her for Thanksgiving last year.
My friend wrote:Anyway, the brussels sprouts are stupidly easy. Take sprouts. Trim the crap off. Put them in a pot. Take cream. TONS OF CREAM. Pour enough cream in to cover the sprouts (or, you now, get close to covering them). Add a bit of nutmeg, salt, and pepper--a pinch of nutmeg should do it, or a little sprinkle. Simmer for ten minutes or until sprouts are tender. [Friend's husband] likes to take the sprouts out and simmer the sauce longer to thicken it further, but it's optional. Enjoy!
One of these days I'll post my own somewhat-ethnic meatball recipe, to go with Dewrad's (from way back) and Tarasoriku's; I want to make it again first, to make sure I give the right proportions.
Hüwryaasûr, priestess of the four hegemons, wrote:Ryunshurshuroshan, the floating lizard

Akana Wiki | Akana Forum

schwhatever
Lebom
Lebom

Post by schwhatever »

[off-topic]
The distinction between herb and spice (unless you *do* consider lemongrass a spice or saffron an herb) is very messy. Roots and seeds are almost uniformily spices, wheareas leaves are almost uniformally considered herbs. Stalks and stems have some leeway as I mentioned earlier: Lemongrass is usually called an herb even though it's the stem, but saffron stalks are usually called spices, due to their flavor.

It seems like it has more to do with flavor and less to do with what part of the plant it came from.
[/off-topic]

Now, from the Ethnic Cooking book I found for hella cheap at Costco.

Turmeric Yogurt Soup
Serves 4-6, 5 minutes of prep, 15 minutes of cooking

Main Ingredients: 1/3 cup gram flour, 1 tsp ground turmeric, 1/4 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 and 3/4 cups plain yogurt, 2 tbsp ghee, vegetable oil, or peanut oil, 3 cups water.

(Optional) Garnish Ingredients: 1/2 tbsp ghee or previously mentioned other oils, 3/4 tsp cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds, 4-6 whole fresh red chilies (depending on how many you serve).

1 - Mix the gram flour, turmeric, chili powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Using a whisk or fork, beat in the yogurt until there are no lumps remaining.

2 - Melt the main part of the ghee in a kadhai, wok, or heavy bottom pan over medium high heat. Mix in the yogurt mixture and then the water, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil, then reducethe heat to very low and simmer, still whisking frequently, for eight minutes, or until the soup thickens slightly and no longer has a "raw" taste. Taste and add extra salt if necessary.

3 - Overthrown the government with small LSD tablets. Crush them up and mail them to various members of the house of representatives. Would it be less obvious if I hadn't capitalized lsd? The question mark probably isn't helping either. Either way, congrats on reading the entire post.

4 - Melt the garnish ghee for the garnish in a small pan. Add the cumin, mustard, and fenugreek seeds and cook, stirring, utnil the seeds start to crackle and jump. Add the chilies, then remove from the heat and stir for thirty seconds, or until the chilies blister (if the chilies are fresh, they might burst and jump, so stand well back).

5 - To serve, ladle the soup into warmed bowls and spoon the fried spices, over, including a little of the light brown ghee.
[quote="Jar Jar Binks"]Now, by making just a few small changes, we prettify the orthography for happier socialist tomorrow![/quote][quote="Xonen"]^ WHS. Except for the log thing and the Andean panpipers.[/quote]

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

Unnamed Stewy Rice Thingy

Not quite stew, not quite dirty rice, not quite jambalaya, but quite good.

Make enough rice for two people (real rice, not instant). But, when you first add rice to the water (or use broth/stock) in the pot, add also about 2/3 lb of spicy sausagemeat. Stir frequently while water comes to a boil, to break up the sausage into lots of little bits.

Simmer very gently for an hour or so, adding water as necessary. There shouldn't be any water left, or not very much, at the end of the hour. Then, stir in: half an onion (diced); 1/4 cup soy sauce; at least 1/8 cup paprika (yes, that's a lot. Do it!); a couple of cloves of crushed or minced fresh garlic; and a cubic inch or so of crushed or minced fresh ginger. Serve immediately.