the Old Granny thread

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: the Old Granny thread

Post by Ars Lande »

Carbonade! Great!

The recipes I know use more regular beer (Leffe, to be specific). We drink the Trappist beer instead.
Adding a bit of sugar (or even gingerbread!) is traditional in French Flanders, though not everyone likes the sweet and savoury taste.

Lyra
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Lyra »

I am so glad to find out this is not a aged-babe thread.

~Lyra
"In the liver we trust."
From yonder, in the land of TWC.

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by gach »

Ars Lande wrote:The recipes I know use more regular beer (Leffe, to be specific). We drink the Trappist beer instead.
Different beer for different recipes. Some foods might work with with a very light beer but other times you just need the fullest possible taste.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Ars Lande wrote:Carbonade! Great!

The recipes I know use more regular beer (Leffe, to be specific). We drink the Trappist beer instead.
Adding a bit of sugar (or even gingerbread!) is traditional in French Flanders, though not everyone likes the sweet and savoury taste.
I have done it with Leffe Bruin and that works very well too.

I prefer mine not too sweet, but if you want sweetness you could add a sweeter beer (such as leffe bruin), or you could add some ontbijtkoek, which is a *kind* of gingerbread. I suppose gingerbread would be fine as a substitute.

But to be honest, the kilo of meat costs about 6.50 euros, and the bottle of Westmalle Dubbel costs 1,20 eur. So it's not really like it's that big of a deal to use a slightly more expensive beer. I think four people can eat from it easily, probably more, so it's not *that* expensive for such an absolutely marvelous dish.

Wow I just LOVE stewed dishes...

Ars Lande
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Ars Lande »

sirdanilot wrote: But to be honest, the kilo of meat costs about 6.50 euros, and the bottle of Westmalle Dubbel costs 1,20 eur. So it's not really like it's that big of a deal to use a slightly more expensive beer. I think four people can eat from it easily, probably more, so it's not *that* expensive for such an absolutely marvelous dish.
You're right - I think I'll try your recipe, in fact. I'd like to try a less sweet take on the recipe.

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

Pressed Bunson wrote:If a mod could come by and un-break my list format, that'd be great.
Done. Apparently you need to add a number after the equals sign in [list=]. (It doesn't matter which number, but it needs to be there. I expected that the entered number would be the one to start the numbered list with, but no, so simply use "1".) You also don't need the [/*] tags, but these simply disappear without breaking the output.

Pressed Bunson
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pressed Bunson »

Cedh wrote:
Pressed Bunson wrote:If a mod could come by and un-break my list format, that'd be great.
Done. Apparently you need to add a number after the equals sign in [list=]. (It doesn't matter which number, but it needs to be there. I expected that the entered number would be the one to start the numbered list with, but no, so simply use "1".) You also don't need the [/*] tags, but these simply disappear without breaking the output.
Thanks.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

I bought this oyster sauce from this China shop run by this China lady. But it's different than the oyster sauces other stores carry. This one is really watery and salty (and has an awful smell), and doesn't make a sauce on it's own. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Like, should I mix it with some corn starch or potato flour before adding to the wok?
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

I only know the thick gloppy kind myself too.

I would add it in small quantities to my wok dish, like fish-sauce. Contrary to common belief a wok dish doesn't need to be saucy. If you just have vegetables and some protein, the most important thing is that they are well-seasoned (like ginger, garlic, soy sauce, your oyster sauce, some spicy stuff), and you don't really need a saucy consistency with that.

Alternatively you could ask the china lady how to use it, though communication is sometimes a problem with people in chinese stores, in my experience...

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

sirdanilot wrote:I only know the thick gloppy kind myself too.

I would add it in small quantities to my wok dish, like fish-sauce. Contrary to common belief a wok dish doesn't need to be saucy. If you just have vegetables and some protein, the most important thing is that they are well-seasoned (like ginger, garlic, soy sauce, your oyster sauce, some spicy stuff), and you don't really need a saucy consistency with that.

Alternatively you could ask the china lady how to use it, though communication is sometimes a problem with people in chinese stores, in my experience...
But it's not wokky if it's not sauce. D: Okay then. :/

Yeah, it is a little difficult at times. And the store's quite far away.
My most recent quiz:

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Qwynegold wrote:But it's not wokky if it's not sauce. D: Okay then. :/
Is this a Thing in Sweden or something? I mean "wok" meaning a style or genre of food?
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

woks have a million uses! I second Dewrad's request for clarification
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

prettydragoon
Sanci
Sanci

Post by prettydragoon »

Dewrad wrote:
Qwynegold wrote:But it's not wokky if it's not sauce. D: Okay then. :/
Is this a Thing in Sweden or something? I mean "wok" meaning a style or genre of food?
I would find that unsurprising. Here in Finland, 'wokki' seems to be used not only as the name of the cooking utensil but also as the word for a dish that has the stir fry nature.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

It's a dish that has been woked. :S
My most recent quiz:

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Qwynegold wrote:It's a dish that has been woked. :S
Sick Scandinavian perverts. "To wok" is not a verb in English.
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Neither are 'medal' or 'podium'.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Cogent points, validly raised.

sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sirdanilot »

Wok can also be used as a verb in Dutch, wokken. However we usually don't wok at home, but we go out wokking at wok restaurants, which serve quite good Westernized asian food. You can collect your favourite ingredients and get them wokked by wok-chefs.

If you choose a good restaurant it's really not half bad, though there are many very mediocre ones out there. Very many.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Made a really good 'jambalaya' today. Inverted commas because it's not authentic cajun/creole cuisine, and is good only in the sense that it tasted nice.

Onion, celery, pepper, chopped tomatoes, dash of red wine, failed attempt at 'vegetable stock thickened with roux' that looked good for a moment but ended up 'vegetable stock with small lumps of roux in it' (wasn't an issue, though, the lumps all went away eventually after it had been added, some sugar, salt, pepper, plenty of cayenne pepper, oregano, a small amount of cloves, and garlic and chervil, and some chunks of (fairly cheap) chorizo and saucisson sec, along with some pearl barley (meant to end up half as much barley per portion as I'd normally eat). Cooked in a slow cooker. Then, later (but still for much longer than normally advised for cooking fish) salmon, and and cumin. [The salmon had been frozen for ages, and hastily defrosted, so I didn't feel guilty about intentionally over-cooking it - the idea was to add bulk and texture and a general fishiness, rather than to have pristine bits of delicately-flavoured salmon]. Almost at the end, added some shredded crab.

Took out a portion and added it to separately-cooked rice (a half-portion, due to the barley already in the main jambalaya (and yes I know real jambalaya is meant to have the rice cooked in it, but that doesn't work in a slow cooker)). Still have at least one more portion for tomorrow.

Anyway, it was seriously delicious. Distinctive, too - between the crab and the salmon there was a real sharp note, but balanced by the rest, and not off-putting (as some of my previous attempts to slow-cook fish have been). Won't win any points for subtlety, I guess, but really good.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

What is this thread about?

♥ ♥ ♥
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Particles the Greek
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Particles the Greek »

I understand your confusion; it seemed a reasonable assumption that it was about female ancestors of advanced years, but clearly I was mistaken.
Non fidendus est crocodilus quis posteriorem dentem acerbum conquetur.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Cooking, it seems.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

This is a cooking thread, so named (methinks) because people tend to get the bulk of their recipes from grandparents and parents.

Anyways, nothing entirely new cooking-wise from me, but I've been doing a lot of the "usual" recipes. Probably will be looking at doing some steaks tomorrow because steak yum-yum.
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

vampireshark
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vampireshark »

And, speaking of recipes, I think I've gotten a good aïoli recipe down. Tastes like I should add more garlic sometimes, but whatever.

Aïoli au vampireshark
Produces about a cup or so of stuff.

4 egg yolks
1 cup/~250 ml extra virgin olive oil (make sure it's extra virgin! In my experience, if it's not, it won't set well.)
1 tlb./~15 ml white wine vinegar
fuckton of freshly grated garlic to taste

1.) Separate egg yolks and let them stand for about an hour to get to room temperature. Beat them a little bit with a wire whisk to get them liquefied.
2.) Add vinegar and beat a little more.
3.) Add garlic. Beat a bit more.
4.) While continuously beating with a whisk, slowly add the olive oil in a thin stream. Keep beating until all the oil is incorporated into the emulsion; do not stop beating.
5.) Store in refrigerator for up to four weeks. Enjoy with things like fish, steaks, or other things with flavor on their own. (Not good with chicken, for example.)
What do you see in the night?

In search of victims subjects to appear on banknotes. Inquire within.

Tropylium
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Tropylium »

A recent discovery: halloumi cheese chopped into flakes & fried makes an excellent non-meat bacon substitute.
[ˌʔaɪsəˈpʰɻ̊ʷoʊpɪɫ ˈʔæɫkəɦɔɫ]