[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - the Old Granny thread

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:42 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I believe you could even brine chicken before frying, though of course it's then even more important to thoroughly dry it afterwards. You can also 'brine' chicken in buttermilk before frying, I've heard, though I haven't tried this myself.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:59 am 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:09 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

White chicken breast is basically not much more flavorful than, say, tofu or mozarella, as far as 'bland protein' goes (at least the kind of mozarella we get here, which is a white, soft ball that comes in a little bag with liquid; american mozarella is different I believe)..Which does not mean it's nasty, it just needs a lot of flavourings to make it good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:23 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

Comparing chicken to tofu while claiming it can be extremely tasty doesn't really help your case any.

OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:02 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:08 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

I know and like tofu, I'm just pointing out it's the legendary non-tasting food by itself, which is exactly the problem that Danilot says chicken doesn't have. it's all about the extra ingredients bro, not the plucked white flightless bird.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:35 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:53 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:00 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Is stinky tofu comparable to ?
I have yet to find a suitable cooking method for tempeh. All the dishes I have done with it were like this:

first bite: delicious
second bite: meh
third bite: blargh I'm fed up with it

It seems that tempeh is best cut into thin strips then deep-fried, so I need to try that sometime.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:15 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:38 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

Almost anything is delicious deep-fried. If the best encomium you can offer for chicken is "it's fantastic when it's fried", people are right to reject your evaluation of it.

Some foods are just inherently blander than others, and chicken is one of them. It can be very tasty when prepared properly - unfortunately, much of the actual flavor of the bird is associated with the fatty skin, which people tend to eliminate.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:53 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:34 am 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Jesus, everyone knows that all you need to do with chicken is cover it in Old Bay.

(Maryland allotted all of its not-shit points to cuisine. The whole state is a miserable asphalt shithole full of vast sprawling suburban garbage dumps populated entirely with zombified Washington functionaries and the underclass but at least we have Old Bay and Ledo's! Go buy some Old Bay online and put it on fucking everything)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:13 am 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:31 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:43 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:26 pm 
Sanci
Sanci

Can't yogurt be used as a substitute for buttermilk?

I can't even test it myself, I'm a vegetarian. Irony.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:44 pm 
Sanno
Sanno

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:13 pm 
Smeric
Smeric

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:38 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Last edited by sirdanilot on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:40 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:24 pm 
Sumerul
Sumerul

Flatbread pizza isn't very old granny, but here's how I make it.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Once it's heated, stick the flatbread in for four or five minutes -- until it's about to start hardening at the edges. Take it out, but keep the oven heated. Put on pizza sauce, olive oil, and sambal (chili paste; the sriracha company makes some), then throw on some fish sauce -- about a third of a teaspoon for the size of the flatbread I have, but sizes vary so use common sense. Add mozzarella on top, then stick it back in the oven until the center of the flatbread is hardened.

Here's the stir-fry I usually eat for dinner:

Boil some thin rice noodles, strain them, and toss them with a few drops of sesame oil. Fry chopped baby corn and broccoli in peanut oil, then cut some beef into small chunks and add that. Give the beef a minute or two to cook, then add the rice noodles, some soy sauce (dunno how much, since I always eyeball it; maybe a tablespoon?), some fish sauce (I'd guess half a teaspoon but that might be too much), and some scotch bonnet sauce, which really is noticeably better than chili sauce in this. Stir it and cook until the beef is done, then add more sauces to taste.

Also, egg drop soup:

Boil thin rice noodles in beef broth, add sriracha, soy sauce, plum sauce, and a few drops of sesame oil, beat an egg in a separate bowl, pour it in while stirring like hell, keep stirring until the egg looks cooked and a few more seconds after, then take it off heat and serve it. Chives are good in it; shiitake mushrooms, sadly, aren't. No idea as to sauce quantities but at least two tablespoons of plum sauce.

Anyone have a borscht recipe? I have beets and potatoes and no idea what to do with them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:22 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

I have never made borscht myself, but I think I have eaten it and it was very good. Can't help you with it, google is your friend.
Something else we like to do with beets though, is beet salad. Boil the beets until tender, skin them (or skin them beforehand, though I like the method of skinning them afterwards), slice them in thin slices. Also slice a (red for prettiness) onion in thin slices. Now toss the beets and the raw onion with a good vinegar, some oil, salt, pepper and bayleaf powder. Don't ask me why, but we always put bay leaf powder in this salad; it was the only reason we had bay leaf powder in our pantry. We also made it with pre-boiled beets, though homemade is obviously best. . I guess you can replace it by just adding a bay leaf or two while boiling the beets.

And I probably don't need to tell you what to do with potatoes. Actually you could make a combined red beet and potato salad, now that I think of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:33 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:59 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

A couple of days ago I made *THE* best beef stew; Flemish beef stew with beer. It's very easy to make (as long as you make a lot, because you can store it for later).

However, it requires one special ingrediënt: Trappist dubbel beer. You can use Westmalle or one of the other brands. It's worth it using a good one though, you really taste the difference. Regular ol' beer won't cut it. Luckily you can get this kind of beer in most fancy beer stores or even in general liquor stores nowadays.

Ingrediënts
1 kg stewing beef - bad quality is no problem, you just have to stew it longer. Just get the cheapest cut you can find.
2-3 onions
small chunk of butter
3 garlic cloves
1 entire bottle of Trappist dubbel beer
a bit of stock (you can use powder/cube)
dried thyme
note: the following spices aren't all obligatory, just add whatever you have.
paprika powder
a couple of juniper berries
a couple of cloves
1-2 bay leafs
nutmeg (freshly grated would be awesome)
oil for frying the beef
flour to cover the beef
salt
pepper (freshly ground would be swell)

- Cut the beef in chunks of about equal size.
- Cut the onions in strips, the pieces can be quite big because it's going to be stewed anyway.
- Sprinkle a good amount of salt and a bit of pepper, and mix very well with your hands
- Sprinkle some flour and toss the beef very well until it is evenly coated with flour, try not to mix it too much or the flour gets all sticky.
- Heat a good amount of vegetable oil in two pans (one of which will be your stewing pan) on max heat.
- Fry a small amount of beef at a time. That's why we use two pans, goes quicker. It has to be nicely golden brown, then immediately set the beef aside on a plate.
- Remove any leftover oil from the pan, add butter, then add the onions and some salt and fry them on medium heat (if you are very Jewish just fry it in the oil ;) ). Don't clean the pan, we need the brown bits at the bottom !
- Mince the garlic in the mean time, then add it to the onions and stir until fragrant
- Add your spices. Note that nutmeg is only added at the last step, because otherwise it loses its flavour.
- Add half of your beer and try to scratch the brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Stir a bit, then add the beef and stir well
- Add the rest of your beer and add your stock
- Cover the pan and simmer it on very low for... a long time. If you have good beef, you could go about 2.5 hours, but it took me almost 4 hours (!) to get my cheap beef tender. Make sure the water level does not get too low, and try to stir every once in a while and scrape the bottom.
-Taste if your meat is very tender and if your sauce is nice and thick. Grate in some nutmeg and taste for final seasoning.

This is usually enjoyed with fries, but boiled potatoes are fine too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next