Seahorses, I Love 'Em (& other Links of Interest)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Eddy wrote:Some more really awful dA drawings, which for some reason won't work with the image tags:
They don't work like this either.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
- <Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Request has expired</Message>
<RequestId>AE23837FDD560D89</RequestId>
<Expires>2010-09-11T18:52:45Z</Expires>
<HostId>4egn5RaTPJAqvBoecrlJWJaIlKIC+dqJZo6p/AXBc9RD8PqVMd7WRWx/kbVEkEvQ</HostId>
<ServerTime>2010-09-13T10:12:39Z</ServerTime>
</Error>

JAL

Delthayre
Lebom
Lebom

Sometimes I think that some goodness lives in a rodeo clown

Post by Delthayre »

I am quite shocked, but a least slightly delighted, to find that Glenn Beck has written something that I find very agreeable and even noble. It has a certain maudlin character, smacks slightly of the cult of the founders and I am incapable of embracing and endorsing the religiousity that permeates it, but I can't disagree with the spirit of it.
"Great men are almost always bad men."
~Lord John Dalberg Acton

Grimalkin
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Grimalkin »

Maybe not technically a link of interest, but I found this funny.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Occult Science Dictatorship: The Official State Science Religion and How to Get Excommunicated

In case you're too lazy to actually look at the sample, here is a quote:
William Lyne, the most epic crackpot ever, wrote:My first edition of Space Aliens from the Pentagon was literally hacked out of raw paper and inked by me, myself and I, as a "samisdat", while I was still in the throes of horrible judicial abuse, engineered by CIA mind-control rats.
William Lyne has written other books, specifically "Pentagon Aliens", "Occult Ether Physics", and "Free Energy Surprise". His next book is "The Galistea Tanoan-Egyptian Djed Festival Stone", about Thothme III's 1625 BC expedition to New Mexico, which I'm sure all of you remember from your ancient history class.

His "About the Author" page mentions that he is single. I can't imagine why that would be.

But hey, forget that- why not learn from Dear Leader's infinite wisdom on the subject of opera?

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Daquarious P. McFizzle wrote:William Lyne, the most epic crackpot ever
William Lyne?
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Nortaneous wrote:
Daquarious P. McFizzle wrote:William Lyne, the most epic crackpot ever
William Lyne?
No, the William Lyne who currently resides in New Mexico.

Delthayre
Lebom
Lebom

Not among the methods traditionally considered

Post by Delthayre »

~Lord John Dalberg Acton

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Early in the nineteenth century some Japanese Buddhist monks mumified themselves through a long, torturous suicide.

Fascinating, but also very unpleasant.
Gives me an idea for a method of torture in my conworld.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

catberry
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Not among the methods traditionally considered

Post by catberry »

Cool, in a morbid sort of way.
You killed yourself. By waving a scientist around.
-is female-

Terra
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Terra »

@FinalZera: I noticed that too, but I think it's just using irony to show that the Tea Party's arguments generally don't make any sense. Or else they are just wrong...ha.
Well, it's that all the other ones state actually true things, but the one that says "Obama is right handed ..." is false. I suspect that the creator actually wasn't aware that Obama is left handed.
My favorite one was the "Obama was born in the deepest depths of Mordor" one.
The one about "Obama won't let me hunt the homeless." strikes close to home, except replace "homeless" with "Mexicans"; I once unknowingly wandered into a conversation about how illegal immigration can be stopped by filling the Rio Grande with Alligators [to kill defenseless Mexicans as they try to cross the border], and placing land mines and snipers on the portions of the border that isn't river. =(

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

FinalZera wrote:I once unknowingly wandered into a conversation about how illegal immigration can be stopped by [...] placing land mines and snipers on the portions of the border that isn't river. =(
Oh hm that sounds strangely familiar, where have I seen this scenario before? Oh yeah, that's right, North Korea

People these days -_-

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Chibi wrote:
FinalZera wrote:I once unknowingly wandered into a conversation about how illegal immigration can be stopped by [...] placing land mines and snipers on the portions of the border that isn't river. =(
Oh hm that sounds strangely familiar, where have I seen this scenario before? Oh yeah, that's right, North Korea

People these days -_-
I would myself tend to think of East Germany here, but young-uns today are likely to be less familiar therewith.

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

FinalZera wrote:illegal immigration can be stopped by filling the Rio Grande with Alligators
Because they don't have boats or rafts? Besides, gnus manage to cross crocodile-invested rivers...

JAL

rickardspaghetti
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rickardspaghetti »

FinalZera wrote:
@FinalZera: I noticed that too, but I think it's just using irony to show that the Tea Party's arguments generally don't make any sense. Or else they are just wrong...ha.
Well, it's that all the other ones state actually true things, but the one that says "Obama is right handed ..." is false. I suspect that the creator actually wasn't aware that Obama is left handed.
Quite the contrary.
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。

Delthayre
Lebom
Lebom

Yet here I sit, drinking tea.

Post by Delthayre »

The Delaware Republican party has nominated a crazy woman for class III Senator from that state.

These people make incredibly cool-looking automobiles. They are, at between $500,000 and $600,00 each, preposterously epensive and I would need to be wealthy beyond what I could tolerate to ever own one, but they are fantastic to behold.
Last edited by Delthayre on Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Lord John Dalberg Acton

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

The Delaware Republican party has nominated a crazy woman for class III Senator from that state.
What a coincidence. I was thinking of putting a complaint about this (well and other victories by the Tea Party) in the venting thread.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Guitarplayer II
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Guitarplayer II »

Travis B. wrote:I would myself tend to think of East Germany here, but young-uns today are likely to be less familiar therewith.
Unless they've received History classes in Germany. Which is a minority on this board. And in comparison to the board's average age I'm not a young 'un either anymore, I guess. The GDR and I coexisted for three years! :o
giˈtaɹ.plɛɪ̯ɚ‿n dɪs.ˈgaɪz • [b][url=http://sanstitre.nfshost.com/sbk]Der Sprachbaukasten[/url][/b]
[size=84]And! [url=http://bit.ly/9dSyTI]Ayeri Reference Grammar[/url] (upd. 28 Sep 2010)[/size]

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

I would myself tend to think of East Germany here, but young-uns today are likely to be less familiar therewith.
Except that East Germany (and maybe North Korea) was more concerned about keeping people in than out, I thought. Now when Americans are fleeing en masse to Mexico, then the situation becomes comparable. Of course, I have long suspected that the current economic crisis was part of a Republican Party plan to stop illegal immigration by making the US so economically unappealing that no one would bother immigrating here.

Guitarplayer II
Lebom
Lebom

Eddy wrote:Except that East Germany (and maybe North Korea) was more concerned about keeping people in than out, I thought.
You do believe that the Wall was an "antifascist protection barrier" (Ger. antifaschistischer Schutzwall), as GDR propaganda liked to refer to it (AFAIK), don't you?
giˈtaɹ.plɛɪ̯ɚ‿n dɪs.ˈgaɪz • [b][url=http://sanstitre.nfshost.com/sbk]Der Sprachbaukasten[/url][/b]
[size=84]And! [url=http://bit.ly/9dSyTI]Ayeri Reference Grammar[/url] (upd. 28 Sep 2010)[/size]

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Eddy wrote: Of course, I have long suspected that the current economic crisis was part of a Republican Party plan to stop illegal immigration by making the US so economically unappealing that no one would bother immigrating here.
Really?

REALLY???

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Really?

REALLY???
Not seriously of course.
You do believe that the Wall was an "antifascist protection barrier" (Ger. antifaschistischer Schutzwall), as GDR propaganda liked to refer to it (AFAIK), don't you?
Never heard that one, actually. Incidentally, I have sometimes wondered why they didn't just build a wall between East Germany and West Germany instead. It seems to me that would pose a greater security risk.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

Eddy wrote:
Really?

REALLY???
Not seriously of course.
Never heard that one, actually. Incidentally, I have sometimes wondered why they didn't just build a wall between East Germany and West Germany instead. It seems to me that would pose a greater security risk.
They, in essence, did.

Guitarplayer II
Lebom
Lebom

Travis B. wrote:They, in essence, did.
Not only in essence. The fortification measures did include a concrete wall in the last recent stage if my memory of History lessons serves. And barbed wire. And minefields. And dogs. And guards (GDR people's police) with the permanent order to assassinate everyone who wanted to flee from the East.

Terra
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Terra »

I'll try to one-up you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOlM1pPM ... re=related

Guns for everybody! Especially for nutcases and criminals!

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Someone with *waaaaaaaaaaaay* too much time on their hands built a working 16-bit ALU (an arithmetic logic unit) inside a computer game, with plans to add RAM and a working compiler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkkyKZVzug