Seahorses, I Love 'Em (& other Links of Interest)

Discussions worth keeping around later.
-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Seahorses, I Love 'Em (& other Links of Interest)

Post by - »

Why I don't care for militant, pedantic atheists: Richard Dawkins illustrates. I'd love to hear the results if someone asked him "what's your sign?" at a nightclub.

Serbian vampire-hunters, apparently in all seriousness, have driven a stake through the heart of Slobodan Milosevic's corpse to prevent him from rising again.

Now you are cooking THE LARRY HOLMES WAY. And you can take that to the lake!E
Last edited by - on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 138 times in total.
Oh THAT'S why I was on hiatus. Right. Hiatus Mode re-engaged.

Mr. Saturday
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Mr. Saturday »

1)Crusaders are dumb.

2) Vampire hunters are important! I'd be dead five times over without vampire hunters.

3) FUCK YEAH.
Roll the dice.
Every soul's got a price.

[b]Chaotic Sexy[/b]

tron cat
Sanci
Sanci

Post by tron cat »

Atheist militancy?

The media sure loves Dawkins, doesn't it..
formerly known as weldingfish

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Links of Interest, Part 3: The Revenge

Post by Rory »

ils wrote:Why I don't care for militant, pedantic atheists: Richard Dawkins illustrates. I'd love to hear the results if someone asked him "what's your sign?" at a nightclub.
Dawkins is right.
Richard Dawkins wrote:"How can you take seriously someone who likes to believe something because he finds it 'comforting'?"
I mean, I for one take comedians very seriously. The idea that one of them believes in something that Dawkins doesn't is very upsetting to me.

I shall supplicate at my Dawkins altar to implore the mighty Dawkins to strike down this believer.

But in all seriousness, I do admire Richard Dawkins for his excellent work on evolutionary genetics. However, his pious hypocricy does grate after a while.
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

For all you D&D fans out there: the elf defense comes into its own.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Via Shakespeare's Sister: Krispy Kreme doughnuts. So good, you'll @!#$ &*!@.

Inmates may soon be able to cut time off their sentences by donating their organs. Sounds like a foolproof plan.

The humane approach to autism.

Facial hair messes with cats.

bi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by bi »

I think this thread should be moved to NotA, where it can become the catch-all thread for weird articles on weird news and non-news.

And now, some (not-very-new) links from me...

Dana Blankenhorn discovers that writing stupid things is good for googlejuice.

The American Enterprise Institute is offering good money to scientists to submit scholarly papers which dispute the IPCC's report on global warming. (Related shameless self-plug: I invite everyone to submit spoof papers to them.)

And some news:

Following up on Wikipedia's "Essjay" scandal: "Essjay" now accuses NYT reporter Schiff of unethical conduct. Oh, the drama!

ils: the last one just rocks.
[img]http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/9899/t4nu8.gif[/img]

Kuh-five
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Kuh-five »

bi wrote:I think this thread should be moved to NotA, where it can become the catch-all thread for weird articles on weird news and non-news.
Like where I put the first one?
[quote="Downtimer"]I was "let go" (canned, but no one said it straight out) from a daycare center because I was too affectionate with the kids (that's just how I am, I'm not a molester or anything)[/quote]

Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Links of Interest, Part 3: The Revenge

Post by Chengjiang »

Rory wrote:
ils wrote:Why I don't care for militant, pedantic atheists: Richard Dawkins illustrates. I'd love to hear the results if someone asked him "what's your sign?" at a nightclub.
Dawkins is right.
He's also an asshole, unfortunately. A pity, really; I liked some of his books. But I've just never seen the point in proselytizing unbelief.

On the cat and beard study: :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
[ʈʂʰɤŋtɕjɑŋ], or whatever you can comfortably pronounce that's close to that

Formerly known as Primordial Soup

Supporter of use of [ȶ ȡ ȵ ȴ] in transcription

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a 青.

Oric
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Oric »

Why do the vampire hunters name themselves after a shitty movie?

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

You're right, bi. (And sorry, Kuh-five, I didn't realize you had a prior thread like this on NotA.)
bi wrote:the last one just rocks.
I was a little amused to discover there've been at least eight studies on the topic since the 1950s. And man, Robert Bork must have had a bad time with cats.

Non-news link that I found a while ago: Japander, where you can see the often-surreal commercials that Western celebs do in Japan. Ah-nuld has some of the funniest. Charlize Theron's ad campaign for Honda is pretty bizarre, Andy Warhol pimping TDK televisions perhaps moreso. A pre-mutant Michael Jackson shilling for Suzuki is actually pretty good.

Admittedly, some of the best content has since migrated to YouTube, like the hysterically cheesy Charles Bronson spots for a cologne called "Man Dom".

valinta
Sanci
Sanci

Post by valinta »

Fuck Richard Dawkins. If he's got nothing better to do than run around being arrogant about atheism and criticizing people for not being atheists just like him, then he's not worth my time or respect.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Oric wrote:Why do the vampire hunters name themselves after a shitty movie?
You'd think guys who went around digging up people's corpses and staking them would be smarter! (Though to be fair, maybe they had Bram Stoker in mind, not the movie.)

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Suicide methods with more power.

Favourite contender for this year's oddest book title: The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America.

Great Did you know? video segment.

bi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by bi »

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

The Thirty Strangest Deaths in History. Some of these are not really so strage -- just examples of trivial injuries that through bad luck turned into deadly infections -- but then there's Hans Steininger, who died by accidentally tripping over his own beard, or Clement Vallandingham, the lawyer who accidentally shot himself while demonstrating to a jury how a man might accidentally shoot himself. Someone in comments also mentions Drako of Athens' bizarre death by ovation as alleged by Suidas.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Also, extreme body modification. I've seen worse, but this one isn't for the squeamish.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Sharkey the Impaler for President!

Post by - »

One of the candidates for President in 2008 is running on an impale George W. Bush platform. He complains that the Secret Service isn't taking him seriously enough, saying 'They never even asked to see my impaling stick.' Slackers.

bi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by bi »

ils: His wife is... 19 years old? :mrgreen:

And via Crooked Timber, The Asymptotic Twitter Curve.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

bi wrote:ils: His wife is... 19 years old? :mrgreen:
Yeah, the perennial Creepy Goth Couple. Thing is, I've known couples just like that (albeit none who ran for public office).

The Twitter Curve is great.

Also great, as a companion piece to the "elf defense" story upthread, a drunk driver demonstrates the unicorn defense.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Coolest solar eclipse photo ever.

Captain America bequeaths his shield... to Stephen Colbert, who promises to use it only to "fight for injustice" and "impress girls."

The giant robot future is almost here!

Meet the Press... for Idiots.

Finally, Craiglist brings the funny: Dear guy masturbating in the bathroom stall at my work...

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

From the wacky hijinks file, world's strongest granny pulls trucks with her teeth in Jinan City, China.

On a more serious note, the potential for an American Depression is growing ever more stark, complete with the prospect of many people being pushed out of their homes and onto the street.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Mr. Saturday
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Mr. Saturday »

What kind of fuckwit cuts off his own thumb?
Roll the dice.
Every soul's got a price.

[b]Chaotic Sexy[/b]