A brief overview of the development of Western Philosophy

Discussions worth keeping around later.
Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

Sal, quit playing with the lock button (and start playin with yourself) you wannabe-intellectual, you didnt close the pix fread at its hight of idiocy but now? Please do get a grip!
<King> Ivo, you phrase things in the most comedic manner

[quote="Jal"][quote="jme"]Thats just rude and unneeded.[/quote]That sums up Io, basically. Yet, we all love him.[/quote]

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Io wrote:Sal, quit playing with the lock button (and start playin with yourself) you wannabe-intellectual, you didnt close the pix fread at its hight of idiocy but now? Please do get a grip!
I have to agree. Wouldn't it be better to threaten a temp ban on Pingu? I can't speak for Zomp, but, from my impression, he doesn't tolerate the racism Pingu spews.
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

Viktor, talk to me instead, talk to me, tell me your dreams was I in them?

By the way, today I saw on the tv that Viktor Krum guy, he was talking about some new role and himself, apparently he was a good kid at school getting good grades (in his new role he's playing some thug).

:D

[quote="Jal"][quote="jme"]Thats just rude and unneeded.[/quote]That sums up Io, basically. Yet, we all love him.[/quote]

Pingu
Niš
Niš

Post by Pingu »

Viktor77 wrote:Wouldn't it be better to threaten a temp ban on Pingu?

Viktor77
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Viktor77 »

Io wrote:Viktor, talk to me instead, talk to me, tell me your dreams was I in them?

By the way, today I saw on the tv that Viktor Krum guy, he was talking about some new role and himself, apparently he was a good kid at school getting good grades (in his new role he's playing some thug).

:D
Sorry Io, you weren't in my dreams. But this really cute guy who resembled Ricky Ullman was and I was so sad when I woke up and he was gone--I suspect he popped into my head after watching the UK's Eurovision entry several times in one night. :P

Cool, I'll be glad to see Stanislav in a new role, his last role had him getting eaten alive and what skin there was was mostly bloody, plus I hate horror movies. :(
Falgwian and Falgwia!!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Pingu
Niš
Niš

Post by Pingu »

Viktor77 wrote:Ricky Ulman
UK
Sounds immigrant to me

Delthayre
Lebom
Lebom

It's a wonderful time to be alive

Post by Delthayre »

Are you and Io part of some competition to see who can ruin the most threads? I should hope so, because that would be the most charitable explanation for your filling so many with obnoxious garbage.
"Great men are almost always bad men."
~Lord John Dalberg Acton

Pingu
Niš
Niš

Re: It's a wonderful time to be alive

Post by Pingu »

Delthayre wrote:Are you and Io part of some competition to see who can ruin the most threads? I should hope so, because that would be the most charitable explanation for your filling so many with obnoxious garbage.
Blad, is this nigga for real?

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

yeah, Del, because when *I* bitch and whine when OTHERS are ruinin MY thread nobody gives a flyin fuck.

to be perfectly honest, yes, I'm deliberately posting shit in this very thread but that's solely because Sal is being a major cunt, a habit of his it seems.

Pingu
Niš
Niš

Post by Pingu »

Io wrote:yeah, Del, because when *I* bitch and whine when OTHERS are ruinin MY thread nobody gives a flyin fuck.

to be perfectly honest, yes, I'm deliberately posting shit in this very thread but that's solely because Sal is being a major cunt, a habit of his it seems.
No need to troll and ruin the forums. Go take your rage out elsewhere and leave us alone please.

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

Pingu wrote:
Io wrote:yeah, Del, because when *I* bitch and whine when OTHERS are ruinin MY thread nobody gives a flyin fuck.

No need to troll and ruin the forums. Go take your rage out elsewhere and leave us alone please.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

TomHChappell wrote:At what point in Western Philosophy does the dictum
"Some men need killin', but no horse needs stealin'"
come?
Happy hour in the "Last Dictum" saloon.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Viktor77 wrote:
Io wrote:Sal, quit playing with the lock button (and start playin with yourself) you wannabe-intellectual, you didnt close the pix fread at its hight of idiocy but now? Please do get a grip!
I have to agree. Wouldn't it be better to threaten a temp ban on Pingu? I can't speak for Zomp, but, from my impression, he doesn't tolerate the racism Pingu spews.
Unfortunately, I don't have the power to ban people, even temporarily (and in this case I don't see why it shouldn't just be permanent, as it seems to be exclusively a trolling account).

So, I did the next best thing in the event of a trolling attack: locked the relevant threads for evidence and alerted Zompist. It's his job now.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Pingu
Niš
Niš

Post by Pingu »

Salmoneus wrote: Unfortunately, I don't have the power to ban people, even temporarily (and in this case I don't see why it shouldn't just be permanent, as it seems to be exclusively a trolling account).
So because i don't contribute in the Language and Linguistics and Conlang sections i must be exclusively here to troll?

What have i even said today that can be considered trolling? Nothing. Just because i'm not venturing out of here or Ephemera i'm no longer allowed an account?

I see.

Delthayre
Lebom
Lebom

Kill the pig. Cut her throat. Spill her blood.

Post by Delthayre »

Pingu wrote:
Salmoneus wrote: Unfortunately, I don't have the power to ban people, even temporarily (and in this case I don't see why it shouldn't just be permanent, as it seems to be exclusively a trolling account).
So because i don't contribute in the Language and Linguistics and Conlang sections i must be exclusively here to troll?

What have i even said today that can be considered trolling? Nothing. Just because i'm not venturing out of here or Ephemera i'm no longer allowed an account?

I see.
Now I think that we should have you committed to a mental institution because you think that someone said that you should be banned because you don't contribute to the linguistics sections, which nobody has said. This is a clear sign of schizophrenia, or just a dishonest attempt to denigrate those who think you should go away as elitist.

I'm pretty sure that your behavior on this page, this page, this page, this page, in this thread and the fact that the pictures that you first posted and then removed in the now deceased ZBB pictures thread looked suspiciously like something pulled from an Encyclopaedia Dramatica article all qualify you as trolling. Some of that reflects poorly upon others to, but that hardly exscuses your behavior, although it likely won't stop you from resorting to claiming that you're being persecuted while the behavior of others whom you will allege did the same as you is being overlooked. Don't assume that no other members have been chastized for their actions and especially don't think that you can shift any blame to them.
"Great men are almost always bad men."
~Lord John Dalberg Acton

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

I can't say myself: I've never read him.

My impression is that he is extremely important historically, but is himself mostly overlooked.

In political theory, he was an extreme libertarian, of the 'social contract' sort, but went further, in denying any obligation to actually obey the social contract if it's not in your interest at any point. So, a businessman (not that he talks about markets or businessmen) should support laws against intellectual theft, because it might discourage other, more stupid people, but there's no reason why he shouldn't himself steal other people's ideas. Indeed, there is no morality at all, only rationality.

In that field, he might be seen as a meta-Ayn Rand. He would agree with many of Rand's views on how people should act, but he wouldn't share the moral outrage of Rand, or the idea that society should change to match his views: libertarianism in the sense of a political movement is just another form of revolution, which is inherently statist. Instead, the people should rise up en masse and do whatever is in their own personal best interest - and, of course, only things they CAN do. To the extent that 'right' exists, 'might makes right'.

In the field of philosophy, he seems to be (and has been regarded as being) a more simplistic, more nihilist, proto-Nietzsche, without Nietzsche's way with words. He represents the negative phase of something: a dissolution of everything in the world, even the self, which ends without produce anything to replace what has been destroyed. In that light, he has often been appealed to by (mostly French) people for his negative power, but few people actually just agree with him and stop there.

Pingu
Niš
Niš

Re: Kill the pig. Cut her throat. Spill her blood.

Post by Pingu »

Delthayre wrote:I'm pretty sure that your behavior on this page, this page, this page, this page, in this thread and the fact that the pictures that you first posted and then removed in the now deceased ZBB pictures thread looked suspiciously like something pulled from an Encyclopaedia Dramatica article all qualify you as trolling. Some of that reflects poorly upon others to, but that hardly exscuses your behavior, although it likely won't stop you from resorting to claiming that you're being persecuted while the behavior of others whom you will allege did the same as you is being overlooked. Don't assume that no other members have been chastized for their actions and especially don't think that you can shift any blame to them.

Io
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Io »

Salmoneus wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have the power to ban people, even temporarily (and in this case I don't see why it shouldn't just be permanent, as it seems to be exclusively a trolling account).
Thank god someone like you with such poor poor judgement and lacking perception doesnt have such powers.

Pingu's most definitely NOT a trolling account. He's been around for years; why he chooses to get a new handle every now and then it's really his choice.

If you see his posts from the past couple of days as trolling attacks you're seriously delusional, thread drift is quite common and if you start locking every thread hysterically because of thread drift and/or chatter you'll be a very very busy man.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Pingu wrote:
Viktor77 wrote:Wouldn't it be better to threaten a temp ban on Pingu?
I'll take that as Pingu agreeing. Banninated.

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

Salmoneus wrote:All the previous developments outlined above also occurred, in parallel forms, in India and in China, but later Ancient (and now Modern) thought became dominated by the dialectic method, which was less developed in India, and almost absent in China.
Indo-Tibetan debate is completely based on the concept of dialectic reasoning. The debaters declare their position, then proceed to question each other in turn, trying to lead their opponent into a contradiction or a nonsensical statement. The Mohists and affiliated schools prized the dialectic method in China, but these were systematically eliminated by the legalists during the book burning period. For some reason, Indian logic never really caught on in China even though some scholars studied it at Nalanda.

Anyway, can we please get back to the subject of western philosophy now?
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Sociologically, it's probably because China has spent more of its time united. It's generally the case that unitary government leads to totalitarian belief systems that do not value dialectic debate, favouring scholasticism. The same is true in Europe as well as China - philosophy and theology under monolithic catholicism was largely scholastic.

It may possibly have something to do with deep cultural biases as well. Indian and Western philosophy are usually put side-by-side as examples of "Indo-European" philosophical obsessions (due both to IE culture and to later philosophical interchanges in the key periods in question). India and the West have always fixated upon the veil of illusions and how to pierce it if at all - epistemology has been central, and consequently logic. Other traditions, including the Chinese tradition, have apparently, while not ignoring this issue, typically given it a lower priority.

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

Besides toeing the party line, patriotism may have had something to do with China's rejection of barbaric reasoning techniques.

I suppose it's possible that it seemed reasonable to old Indo-European cultures to restore the true names and thus pierce the veil of illusions by means of deductive reasoning, while to old Sinitic cultures, it seemed more reasonable to restore the true names and achieve perfect social harmony through analogical reasoning. (this could be interesting to conphilosophers) For good or for ill, Legalist China's authoritarian and ultra-dogmatic atmosphere never allowed these latter instincts to truly flower, but channeled them along a small number of approved schools, at most giving rise to radical new interpretations such as Neoconfucianism, with its institutionalized caste system.

Are we done with western philosophy or what?

PS. In fact, I would recommend several of this guy's publications to the serious language enthusiast: http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/ For example, check out his paper on the structure of Greek oral poetry.
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Oh crap, the thread is dangerously close to being pruned.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Thanks, I was just about to do that.

Also, I am (shock, horror) working on the next post for it. But it's taking a while.